GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any locals confirm whether or not the garage door was changed out at the house the same day that Katrina was reported missing?

Blunt force trauma with WHAT?

Rarely do the bare hands cause fatal blunt force trauma to another adult. A fairly small person can render someone unconscious with a well placed blow with a bat, golf club, or some other object.

Pretty interesting after over two weeks in the water they can determine blunt force trauma .. I wonder if there are skull fractures..

imo

Can any locals confirm whether or not the garage door was changed out at the house the same day that Katrina was reported missing?

this is a RUMOR...that the door was replaced the day prior to the search warrant being served....

this is a RUMOR...that the door was replaced the day prior to the search warrant being served....

Interesting that the door may have been replaced the day before the search warrant was served... Though I recognize it is a rumor...

and... Cute new avatar pic, Nellie!:rocker:

I know it is a rumor...

but... If the door had been changed... Wouldn't the LE be able, and should, check the old door?

JMO

I'm a bit bothered by something..a few things actually. But primarily how skinny/scrawny the husband is.

http://www.rrstar.com/news/x1582303003/Funeral-services-for-Katrina-Smith-this-weekend
The newspaper article states: Investigators say Katrina Smith was beaten to death. “There were several points of blunt-force throughout the body,” Meyers said.

The husband has been with her family, and in and out of the public eye since shortly after she went missing.

Katrina *seemed* to be physically fit. Recent picture(s) indicate she was not a nail biter. (puppy pic)

TS is skinny/scrawny probably not weighing much more than Katrina

We know that she was beaten to death, and we can presume she was placed in the River, possibly placed in a vehicle and removed from the vehicle.

Would this altercation resulted in the perpetrator having bruises, wounds, scrapes etc? Especially a perpetrator that wasn't much bigger than the victim?

I wonder if TS has any bruises, wounds, or scrapes?

yeah I would think that those sort of things would have been noticed on the husband at the time he reported her missing. I believe this would have occurred during questioning by detectives as well as collecting evidence in the form of photographs, exams and DNA.

rumor or not, TS would have no way of knowing what day or when the search warrant would be issued so it would just be coincidence, and to be honest, I was surprised it took them as long as it did to issue a search warrant.

All they would need for a judge is probably cause which is simple in this case, woman has been missing for more than 24 hours, husband reported her missing and is POI number 1, home is owned and registered in her name, done deal.

Detectives sure need to multi-task during missing person reports
1) gather details facts relating to missing person
2) gather details facts relating to person making the report (just incase ...)

I know it is a rumor...

but... If the door had been changed... Wouldn't the LE be able, and should, check the old door?

JMO

***PURE SPECULATION/RUMOR ALERT***

if le was already in possession of or preparing a search warrant i would hope that a service door replacement would have been noticed...and the door would have been retrieved from the land fill, dump etc. that it was discarded in. and if the service door was not discarded but kept on someone elses private property or dumped at an undisclosed location...well, that would not be encouraging...

however, there could be plenty of innocent reasons to replace a service door, for example the door was old and did not work anymore and the replacement was planned well in advance of any reason for it to be considered suspicious... i replaced one last year mainly for insulation purposes...other than that there was nothing wrong with the door...jmho

rumor or not, TS would have no way of knowing what day or when the search warrant would be issued so it would just be coincidence, and to be honest, I was surprised it took them as long as it did to issue a search warrant.

All they would need for a judge is probably cause which is simple in this case, woman has been missing for more than 24 hours, husband reported her missing and is POI number 1, home is owned and registered in her name, done deal.

well, maybe LE did not consider him a POI in the beginning.

A search warrant allows evidence to be taken from the location (computer, printer, fingerprints, documents, etc. - whatever may relate to the case @ hand) I think DNA may be included, but unsure?

oh, im not suggesting that ts was attempting to destroy potential evidence, merely that if he was under surveillance the door would have been collected..

and it takes a little more than you mention to get a search warrant because if it was that easy they would have been in that house within the first few days imo...jmho

Replacing door ... it was stated the house was not occupied immediately after Katrina's disappearance. Maybe it was replaced to make the home more secure. Long shot, but feasible. I originally thought it may contain evidence (blood splatter, bullet casing) and that was why it was removed. At this point, we are just guessing here.

There is another explanation going around, but if true, it will be known along with other details of this investigation.

I apologize if this has already been discussed, but this photo caught my attention:

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Katrina Smith -IL-/103012sw1.jpg

Is this a security camera @ Katrina's house? Thank you.

That is an outdoor electrical box, the kind with the spring loaded covers over each outlet, I would assume it is used for plugging in Christmas lights without having to run long drop cords to the ground and run them along the perimeter of the house.

the fact that TS set fire to his parent's house with them narrowly escaping...all because he was mad at them is a precursor if you ask me.....says he is capable of doing something

after following these cases i guess i get used to seeing the families on tv during different parts of a case and usually the family is gathered around the surviving spouse...im not saying it has to be that way it just usually is that way. so, this picture with none of the family looking at the surviving spouse seems odd to me...hes not even in the center of the family? jmho...

At the same time, it looks like Chad is talking, and from the hand motion, quite strongly, therefore he should be the centre of attention. They're listening to him - I'd find it weird if they were all looking at Todd whilst Chad spoke.

I also agree that he is smaller and that our perp could possibly have some signs of a struggle.

I also wouldn't be surprised if our perp is a hit man.

Sounds kinda crazy but for some reason, it's a plausible thought to me.

I considered this also. If so were the car, cell phone, purse, wallet, and the body strategically discarded? :waitasec:

eta: can blunt trauma be caused from say, being hit by a car or being thrown down stairs. for some reason i was thinking that injuries sustained in auto accidents either passenger or pedestrian vs car have been described as "blunt"...any medical peeps on the board??? nurse where are you???

otherwise there are blunt instruments -- too many to count but not to exclude hands and feet...

not medical but yes it can, common in road accidents.. I wondered if she'd been hit by a car when I saw blunt force trauma to the body but I would expect there also to be trauma to the lower limbs. And obviously damage to the car that hit her. Equally if she was in a car, there was an argument and the car stopped suddenly or crashed, and she wasn't wearing a seatbelt, she could have sustained blunt force trauma to the head and body from slamming forwards into the dashboard/window. Same for falling down stairs..

Interesting that garage door was replaced... wonder if it can be recovered?

At the same time, it looks like Chad is talking, and from the hand motion, quite strongly, therefore he should be the centre of attention. They're listening to him - I'd find it weird if they were all looking at Todd whilst Chad spoke.

exactly -- Chad is the center...not the surviving spouse...not odd that Chad is a take-charge kind of guy who cares about his sister...but ts is the surviving spouse which is where the attention is usually centered as they usually are the most broken up of the death of their spouse. but i think you understood my post the first time around, lol :waitasec:

From what I have heard from friends on my FB, again this is just RUMOR,
the police were the reason why the door had to be replaced. It wasn't the actual mechanical garage door, but door from garage to house(service type door). When they were notified that Katrina was missing and once the car was found, they entered the home without asking. As in they did a check to make sure she wasn't being held there. I asked why Todd just wouldn't let them in, and have been told he wasn't there & they didn't wait for a key.

I personally think the whole think is just rumor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper