GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
We now have cause of death and a "homicide" investigation. BUT No autopsy report or POI. LE's lips are sealed tight; Both the family or MSM seem to be lacking a desire to push the issue.

I can't help but feel like they are slowly setting the trap and dangling the bait in front of someone. I have a feeling this thing is going to blow up and take some very strange twists....and I hope it is soon!

HOMICIDE INVESTIGATION-(KATRINA SMITH) 11/13/12

Winnebago County Sheriff's OfficeNews Media Release

News Release Number 2012-032H

Information: Homicide Investigation-(Katrina Smith)

Date: November 13, 2012

Time: 10:30 A.M.

Page 1 of 1

NARRATIVE:Katrina Smith was reported missing on Tuesday, October 23, 2012. Since that time an exhaustive search has been conducted for Ms. Smith both by Law Enforcement and citizen volunteers. The searches had not been successful. On October 9, 2012, the body of an unidentified female was discovered in the river in Ogle County. The Ogle County Sheriff’s Department responded and recovered the female body. On November 10, 2012, an autopsy was conducted by the Ogle County Coroner’s Office. Detectives from the Ogle County and Winnebago County Sheriff’s Departments attended the autopsy. Based on dental records, the female was positively identified as Katrina Smith. The results of the autopsy showed Ms. Smith suffered blunt force trauma, and the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Department is classifying this as a homicide investigation. Anyone who may have information concerning this investigation is asked to call the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Department at 815-319-6400 or Rockford Area CrimeStoppers at 815-963-7867.

Thank - You FB:eye:

I was just getting ready to go look for this....

welcome to Websleuths too :greetings:

Sent them an email to correct the press release.

It shows a body was found, then she was reported missing, followed by an autopsy a month after body was found. ***this is by the dates used*** Small detail that could de-rail a conviction KWIM??

Petty I know...but important in my mind

Thanks for bringing this discrepancy to their attention ... We do not want any thing to impede justice for Katrina!:please:

"Long time listener, 1st time caller"
I've been a lurker for quite some and finally recently registered.
I've been following this case in particular because it hits pretty close to home. While I do not know of any association I have had with Katrina, her home in Machesney Park is only about 4-5 blocks from my home.
I'm hoping some of you "veterans" can provide some insight. Is it odd that the Sheriff's news release refers to Katrina as "Ms. Smith" instead of "Mrs. Smith"? Or is this common practice by LE?

:welcome: Litzy:welcome4:

I am sorry for the tragedy affecting your community!

I wondered about the Ms. Instead of Mrs., too!:seeya:

:cop: :detective:

Thank you tizzdavis!! Correction to Sheriff Department's Press Release as to when Katrina's body was found has been made.

Sent them an email to correct the press release.
It shows a body was found, then she was reported missing, followed by an autopsy a month after body was found. ***this is by the dates used*** Small detail that could de-rail a conviction KWIM??
Petty I know...but important in my mind

HOMICIDE INVESTIGATION-(KATRINA SMITH) 11/13/12
Winnebago County Sheriff's OfficeNews Media Release
News Release Number 2012-032H
Information: Homicide Investigation-(Katrina Smith)
Date: November 13, 2012
Time: 10:30 A.M.
Page 1 of 1

NARRATIVE:

Katrina Smith was reported missing on Tuesday, October 23, 2012.
Since that time an exhaustive search has been conducted for Ms. Smith both by Law Enforcement and citizen volunteers.

The searches had not been successful.

On November 9, 2012, the body of an unidentified female was discovered in the river in Ogle County. The Ogle County Sheriff’s Department responded and recovered the female body.

On November 10, 2012, an autopsy was conducted by the Ogle County Coroner’s Office. Detectives from the Ogle County and Winnebago County Sheriff’s Departments attended the autopsy.

Based on dental records, the female was positively identified as Katrina Smith. The results of the autopsy showed Ms. Smith suffered blunt force trauma, and the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Department is classifying this as a homicide investigation.

Anyone who may have information concerning this investigation is asked to call the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Department at 815-319-6400 or Rockford Area CrimeStoppers at 815-963-7867.

"Long time listener, 1st time caller"
I've been a lurker for quite some and finally recently registered.
I've been following this case in particular because it hits pretty close to home. While I do not know of any association I have had with Katrina, her home in Machesney Park is only about 4-5 blocks from my home.
I'm hoping some of you "veterans" can provide some insight. Is it odd that the Sheriff's news release refers to Katrina as "Ms. Smith" instead of "Mrs. Smith"? Or is this common practice by LE?

Hi Litzy!

BBM - this jumped out at me too

I truly hope that whoever did this is "shaking in their boots"! I don't want this person to be able to just go on with life, like nothing ever happened. I hope this person's conscience just eats at them, and they can't sleep, their mind starts to slip and they make a HUGE mistake! Katrina needs, in fact DESERVES justice. May it be swift and may it be mighty to the person/s that snuffed her beautiful light out so early! I am praying that LE knows just who did this and now it's just a matter dotting dotting their i's and crossing their t's. :please:

They have confirmed blunt force trauma. But was there a sexual assault? It appears as if there was no sexual abuse involved. If so, that points to the husband, imo.

They have confirmed blunt force trauma. But was there a sexual assault? It appears as if there was no sexual abuse involved. If so, that points to the husband, imo.

The only thing they have released at this point is COD. No other details have been released. Blunt Force trauma to what? with what? All we know is they are ruling it a homicide; accidental? intentional? pre meditated? It is still anybody's guess.

Very frustrating :banghead:

Yes, initially it was reported that there were no apparent signs of trauma, along with the fact the body was missing pants. I don't know if this information was recanted because it wasn't true or if it magically vanished. :waitasec:

Yeah I think it was recanted as both of those were incorrect. There was a release stating both of those things, and then later was a release with the opposite information omitting anything about trauma and stating that the body was clothed but too deteriorated to distinguish or something to that effect.

The only thing they have released at this point is COD. No other details have been released. Blunt Force trauma to what? with what? All we know is they are ruling it a homicide; accidental? intentional? pre meditated? It is still anybody's guess.

FBEye posted this earlier which you may have missed

I just called 100.5 to verify the info that's flying across the Internet, they asked me to call back because they're starting an interview with the Sheriff on the KS case...
http://www.nta.fm/index.aspx[/url [url]http://www.nta.fm/ListenLive.aspx

Confirmed, blunt force trauma torso & head by Sheriff

news release on autopsy,
http://www.winnebagosheriff.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=332&Itemid=160

They may not know what was used yet.

I have not read anywhere that the blunt force trauma actually was the COD. Is it automatically assumed that it was? Or is it odd that they did not specifically state " ... which was the cause of death." or something like that? (I don't know how such reports are normally written.) Or am I just splitting hairs?

:what:

To the best of my knowledge, this is the only MSM that has reported that Katrina did not show up for work on Tuesday, Oct. 23. I believe this is another "snippet" of investigative information that LE has given approval to be released.

http://www.rrstar.com/news/x1582303003/Funeral-services-for-Katrina-Smith-this-weekend

Nov. 13, 2012. 1:07 PM

Smith did not show up for work the next day on Oct. 23 at Camryn Company in Belvidere where she worked in the human resources department. She was reported missing by Todd Smith, sparking a massive hunt that included friends, families and volunteers searching for her or any clue about what happened to her.

The initial report was placed with the Roscoe Police Department because she had been staying there at a friend’s condominium.

<snipped> and BBM

LE must have some kind of evidence as to where she was murdered for the jurisdiction to have been immediately transferred from Ogle to Winnebago county. Wonder if the search of the house turned up something...

I am checking in to see if there has been an arrest.....

I feel its close at hand....

:confused:

http://www.nta.fm/LocalNews/story.aspx?ID=1817551

Is an fm radio station considered MSM?? I really don't know, but I have not seen one Linked before. Whether they are or not,there is no mention of blunt force trauma to the head in their news report today. If anyone finds a correction to this please post it.

Also, at this time, there is not an updated press release from the Sheriff's Department that mentions blunt force trauma to the head. Their latest press release was a revision at 10:30 A.M. this morning with the corrected date of November 10 when Katrina's body was found and it was reported that she suffered blunt force trauma.

I check the sheriff's web site frequently for updates.

Officials: Katrina Smith had blunt force trauma to her body
NTA FM News Desk
11/13/2012

Winnebago County Sheriffs Police release more information concerning the death of Katrina Smith of Machesney Park.

Winnebago County Sheriff Dick Meyers says Smith suffered blunt force trauma to her body and they're calling her death a homicide.

Smith's body was found in the Rock River in Ogle County last Friday. The body was positively identified through dental records.

Katrina Smith was found two and a half weeks after being reported missing by her husband.

Earlier Today:

Posted today by LMStyle at 02:43 PM

FBEye posted this earlier which you may have missed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBEye
I just called 100.5 to verify the info that's flying across the Internet, they asked me to call back because they're starting an interview with the Sheriff on the KS case...
http://www.nta.fm/index.aspx[/url ... what was used yet. Today 02:39 PM[/quote]

:confused:

http://www.nta.fm/LocalNews/story.aspx?ID=1817551

Is an fm radio station considered MSM?? I really don't know, but I have not seen one Linked before. Whether they are or not,there is no mention of blunt force trauma to the head in their news report today. If anyone finds a correction to this please post it.

Also, at this time, there is not an updated press release from the Sheriff's Department that mentions blunt force trauma to the head. Their latest press release was a revision at 10:30 A.M. this morning with the corrected date of November 10 when Katrina's body was found and it was reported that she suffered blunt force trauma.

I check the sheriff's web site frequently for updates.

Earlier Today:

Posted today by LMStyle at 02:43 PM

Interesting discrepancies!!! :waitasec:

:shakehead: :eek:hdear::shakehead:

I think the family needs to take a break from the media and rest!

http://www.wifr.com/news/headlines/Katrina-Smiths-Death-Ruled-a-Homicide-179195221.html

Posted: Tue 5:15 PM, Nov 13, 2012
Updated: Tue 5:41 PM, Nov 13, 2012

Katrina Smith’s Death Ruled a Homicide

Today her family says they're willing to forgive whomever is responsible, but they're not giving up on justice.

Police aren't releasing any other details like where she was hurt or what might have been used at the murder weapon and they still won't say whether there are any suspects.

“I can tell you right now that if you feel like you need to come forward we'd ask that that person does so,” said Chad Kalteved.

<snipped> and BBM

LE must have some kind of evidence as to where she was murdered for the jurisdiction to have been immediately transferred from Ogle to Winnebago county. Wonder if the search of the house turned up something...

I was thinking the same thing about the transfer.

Did you notice the new door in the photos when the warrant to search was carried out. was trying to post the link but cant find and too tired. Am sure it is in the archive ... sorry, gotta get to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper