GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
While I have my ideas who is responsible for her death, I will hold onto that until more information comes out. With that being said, I too am curious as to who would get "custody" for lack of a better word, of Katrina's body in a murder investigation. Also, I am wondering how soon her body would be released for burial given that this is a murder investigation ( I am speculating it is anyways) does anyone know that? If say her hubby chose to cremate her, that would destroy any evidence they may of had. I know one would think they would of collect any and all evidence during the ME exam and the autopsy, but it is not unheard of to exhume a body after burial to retrieve more evidence or have a second look. Especially in a murder case IMO. Does anyone know if there are laws or regulations about cremating or burying a murder victim out there? I am just curious about this. TIA

Technically, if Todd has not been charged with Katrina's death at the time her body is available to be released he would be the legal next of kin since they are married. He does have the right to give someone else that right as well.

The medical examiner or coroner will keep the body in their custody until any and all evidence has been collected at which point they will release it. (Based on his past experience my husband thinks it was probably released to the family yesterday).

If Todd is the one who the body is released to then yes, he has he legal right to have her cremated once she is released from the coroner.

No clue what the laws are regarding body possession in a case such like this. I can tell you I really don't believe it was even an issue. Katrina's family *appears* to be very united and they are standing their ground behind TS. If any of her immediate family thinks he is at all responsible they should win an Oscar for how well they are hiding it. moooo

I have a *suspicion* there is more to the interview that was aired last night. The reporter even "teased" to that effect....she also stressed that she sat down with all of the family--including her mother brother and husband. In fact if you watch the clip closely you can see that there was someone else on the couch with them, as there is a hand resting on the back of the couch. (of course it could be anyone)

I gotta say if I were TS and I was guilty...I would be more afraid of her brother than I would be of LE.

Hi Knox, to my knowledge there has not been any additional mention about the bloody paper towels ... and I read everything I can find about the case. The brief news on Sunday night from the wifr Link that you posted refers to "new details of the investigation will be released this week" ... so, we're waiting to hear whatever LE is going to release.

The family is making funeral arrangements for Saturday, Nov 17, so LE must have obtained everything needed for test results from the autopsy. No leaks of info on test results that I have read about. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

At least they were able to determine COD. Hopefully there are clues in the manner she was killed, which will point to whoever killed her.

Was there ever any further mention of the bloody paper towels? The test results surely would be back by now. Wondering if they turned out to be related?

WIFR was given the ONLY interview/statement (as short as it was) by the family. We know that all stations in the area carried coverage during the missing phase, so that could not be the reason. We saw first her mother (God Bless her) and then her brother with the mother. I do not know them, but I so love this family! and pray for them. My thoughts are that Todd was not there, no matter what was stated. I have not one ounce of proof of that, but I just feel like a good report would at least show a pullback of the entire room, often while the reporter is actually interviewing. But, we got a closeup of mom, and then we got a closeup of mom and brother. If too many stations had been there, this could have been leaked???? Just my thoughts. I have no particular insight, but I just feel that any valid reporting news team would say: This is still news, and I so want you to be allowed to speak now that she is found and we would love to exclusively facilitate that, but I have to validate who is in the room and the setting? It was my original thought. (I also agree that I would be more afraid of Chad than LE!) RIP Katrina....you, single-handedly, pulled a community together with its love for you and hopes that we could bring you home safely. <3

http://www.rrstar.com/news/x1582302...gs-talk-about-3-week-search-for-Katrina-Smith

I dunno. Her husband is mentioned briefly but for someone who's wife was just found murdered, he's pretty quiet and not in the media at all.

Also, just a few thoughts of mine and may not even be accurate or make sense so it's JMO! "We want justice.." To me, when I say that or post those exact words on this site is usually when I have a specific perp in mind. I know it can be vague but when I think it/feel it/type it, I usually am aiming it in one direction so I wonder if they are too.

Also, on the missing Katrina FB page, the majority of the comments are in support of her mother, sister, brother, etc. Not many offering sympathies and condolensces to TS.

Also, I read someone online that I can't quote because it's not a true MSM source that her body was found without signs of trauma. I do hope that all tests including toxology have been done prior to her being burried if she is in fact turned back over to TS.

It's pretty hard to focus on other possible suspects when there hasn't been one witness, fact, source, etc. that has me thinking outside of the box.

Hi Knox, to my knowledge there has not been any additional mention about the bloody paper towels ... and I read everything I can find about the case. The brief news on Sunday night from the wifr Link that you posted refers to "new details of the investigation will be released this week" ... so, we're waiting to hear whatever LE is going to release.

The family is making funeral arrangements for Saturday, Nov 17, so LE must have obtained everything needed for test results from the autopsy. No leaks of info on test results that I have read about. We'll see what tomorrow brings.

What a very sad Thanksgiving for Katrina's loved ones.... :praying:

What a very sad Thanksgiving for Katrina's loved ones.... :praying:

IHNC, ITA, a very sad Thanksgiving, Christmas, birthday, anniversary, this Friday and Saturday, and every single day from now on for her parents, siblings, family, relatives, loved ones, friends, coworkers, etc. :(

JFK

http://www.rrstar.com/news/x1582302...gs-talk-about-3-week-search-for-Katrina-Smith

I dunno. Her husband is mentioned briefly but for someone who's wife was just found murdered, he's pretty quiet and not in the media at all.

Also, just a few thoughts of mine and may not even be accurate or make sense so it's JMO! "We want justice.." To me, when I say that or post those exact words on this site is usually when I have a specific perp in mind. I know it can be vague but when I think it/feel it/type it, I usually am aiming it in one direction so I wonder if they are too.

Also, on the missing Katrina FB page, the majority of the comments are in support of her mother, sister, brother, etc. Not many offering sympathies and condolensces to TS.

Also, I read someone online that I can't quote because it's not a true MSM source that her body was found without signs of trauma. I do hope that all tests including toxology have been done prior to her being burried if she is in fact turned back over to TS.

It's pretty hard to focus on other possible suspects when there hasn't been one witness, fact, source, etc. that has me thinking outside of the box.

Yes, initially it was reported that there were no apparent signs of trauma, along with the fact the body was missing pants. I don't know if this information was recanted because it wasn't true or if it magically vanished. :waitasec:

I'm inclined to believe that LE is working very closely with family and keeping them as informed as possible. The family while obviously grieving to me they seem far too calm, almost complacent. mooo

As far as the exclusive very short snippet of an interview with WIFR, I'm still expecting more. I *believe* the family went in this direction as it was WIFR (specifically that reporter) that started sniffing around about the fliers and pulled back almost immediately (possibly at the request of family or LE??)

Yes, initially it was reported that there were no apparent signs of trauma, along with the fact the body was missing pants. I don't know if this information was recanted because it wasn't true or if it magically vanished. :waitasec:

I'm inclined to believe that LE is working very closely with family and keeping them as informed as possible. The family while obviously grieving to me they seem far too calm, almost complacent. mooo

As far as the exclusive very short snippet of an interview with WIFR, I'm still expecting more. I *believe* the family went in this direction as it was WIFR (specifically that reporter) that started sniffing around about the fliers and pulled back almost immediately (possibly at the request of family or LE??)

I started to write a post a bit ago, responding to the post about her family having a sad Thanksgiving and I found myself writing, that they are seemingly holding up well via the media I've seen and that I wouldn't be able to even function. Bless them. I don't mean that in a harsh way as I'm sure they are privately falling apart but then reading your post Luna, I had another thought.

Maybe they are seeming complacent and calm because they are not surprised. I know a few people here have said that TS is a "nice guy" but that doesn't mean much to me as my step father seems like a "nice guy" but he choked my mom until she urinated on herself. (She's still alive!!)

Maybe they are trusting in LE and cooperating for them to do due diligence and make an arrest.

Random thoughts - :fence:

http://www.gracefh.com/obituaries/Katrina-Smith/#/Obituary

"Obituary for Katrina Ashley Smith
Katrina Ashley Smith, 30, of Machesney Park, Illinois left this world to be with her Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, on October 22, 2012. Katrina was born July 16, 1982 in Elkhorn, Wisconsin. She graduated from Harlem High School in 2000 and attended Rock Valley College. Katrina was employed by Camryn Industries in Belvidere as a Human Resources Coordinator. As a member of Heartland Community Church, she loved working with children through Launch Ministries, volunteering, and helping others. Katrina was a warmhearted person who loved people, especially children. Her beautiful smile could light up any room and brought joy to all around her."

Food for thought...

TS went through the process of changing his name. His record stayed clean until recently...Does anyone else find it odd that he didn't have his juvi record expunged?

HOMICIDE INVESTIGATION-(KATRINA SMITH) 11/13/12

Winnebago County Sheriff's OfficeNews Media Release

News Release Number 2012-032H

Information: Homicide Investigation-(Katrina Smith)

Date: November 13, 2012

Time: 10:30 A.M.

Page 1 of 1

NARRATIVE:Katrina Smith was reported missing on Tuesday, October 23, 2012. Since that time an exhaustive search has been conducted for Ms. Smith both by Law Enforcement and citizen volunteers. The searches had not been successful. On October 9, 2012, the body of an unidentified female was discovered in the river in Ogle County. The Ogle County Sheriff&#8217;s Department responded and recovered the female body. On November 10, 2012, an autopsy was conducted by the Ogle County Coroner&#8217;s Office. Detectives from the Ogle County and Winnebago County Sheriff&#8217;s Departments attended the autopsy. Based on dental records, the female was positively identified as Katrina Smith. The results of the autopsy showed Ms. Smith suffered blunt force trauma, and the Winnebago County Sheriff&#8217;s Department is classifying this as a homicide investigation. Anyone who may have information concerning this investigation is asked to call the Winnebago County Sheriff&#8217;s Department at 815-319-6400 or Rockford Area CrimeStoppers at 815-963-7867.

Now were talking - justice for Katrina!!!! There will be an arrest soon IMO.

I wonder how much investigating they'll have to do vs. how much they've already done.

Sent them an email to correct the press release.

It shows a body was found, then she was reported missing, followed by an autopsy a month after body was found. ***this is by the dates used*** Small detail that could de-rail a conviction KWIM??

Petty I know...but important in my mind

"Long time listener, 1st time caller"
I've been a lurker for quite some and finally recently registered.
I've been following this case in particular because it hits pretty close to home. While I do not know of any association I have had with Katrina, her home in Machesney Park is only about 4-5 blocks from my home.
I'm hoping some of you "veterans" can provide some insight. Is it odd that the Sheriff's news release refers to Katrina as "Ms. Smith" instead of "Mrs. Smith"? Or is this common practice by LE?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member