GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Has LE made any statements? Re: Seeking a murderer on the loose, etc...

yes, that was disappointing...that was not an interview...come on wifr!

nice to see her mom, and her brother seems like a good guy...jmho

Has LE made any statements? Re: Seeking a murderer on the loose, etc...

no, not that i have ever read. the only thing i have seen le be very clear about is that they were separated. they clarified that after ts said that le was wrong and that they were happily married for 7 years and living in the same house.

That date still doesn't seem right. That's the day she disappeared. How would they KNOW that was the date she died??? It's been my understanding following other cases here at WS, that the DOD is the day they find the body because that's when they know for sure a person has passed. That was the DOD they gave Autumn Pasquale, even though she had been missing for a time. Hmmm. Maybe that will get changed later as more information comes out. IMO

O.K., video has been added and is working!

http://www.wifr.com/home/headlines/O...178750521.html

"Family members want answers. New details on investigation sometime next week."

"Page no longer available" it says now.

That date still doesn't seem right. That's the day she disappeared. How would they KNOW that was the date she died???

They wouldn't know but maybe because the body was so strongly decomposed they thought it's odd to put the date she was found.

Less than 24 hours after Katrina Smith's body is identified, plans for her visitation, funeral and burial are released.

We told you Saturday that a body found just south of Byron in the Rock River was confirmed via dental records to be Katrina. There will be two visitations held at Heartland Community Church for Katrina. The first on Friday from 5 to 9 at night. The second will be on Saturday from 10 to 11 in the morning before the funeral, also at Heartland starting at 11 am.

Katrina's final resting place is Arlington Cemetery on Charles Street.

For information on where to send flowers and condolences, you can go to the Grace Funeral Services web site:

www.gracefh.com

=( I may send flowers.

Re: Date of death

I think the family believes that KS was dead the day she disappeared .. 10/22

I believe she was too. I didn't find it at all unusual.

imo

Elainera said "Page no longer available" it says now."

If you click on HOME page and scroll down I think the story is there.

Okay ... curious.

Is TS not speaking out .... or does the media not care what he has to say?

I mean, if their marriage was hunky dory and all, why would they go to her "family" and not her husband.

Interesting also that they are "not realeasing" the COD as to not "hinder the investigation" ...

tick tock tick tock

imo

Hello. I've been following this case, first time posting. I may have missed some facts along the way ...

Did Katrina work on Monday Oct 22? If not, is it possible she could have been missing sooner?
What I can't get out of my mind was the fact some on-lookers happened to see Katrina's car hours earlier at the very spot the car was found the next day or so. Were they mixing up their days the car was seen earlier? Still that doesn't give a large enough gap for her remains to be so deteriorated.
So the ?fact? that Katrina had been running errands and showing up at the family home at 8 PM could also not be accurate at all? Any other witnesses other than TS?
Was lime used on the body, or some other chemical to cause deterioration?
I find it strange also that family would want burial so fast, considering that forensic testing could take longer. I understand they want this gruesome discovery out of the way as son as possible, however imo, I would allow more studies be done ... such as tox studies, etc.

morning, dont know if this has been posted yet or not...it is the CRIMESTOPPERS write up and their timeline of events.

Crime Stoppers Report: 26 Oct 2012 17:07-

On the evening of Tuesday, Oct. 23, Katrina A. Smith, 30, of Machesney Park, Ill., was reported missing by her husband to the Roscoe Police Department. At approximately 7:50 p.m., the same evening, Smith’s vehicle was found unoccupied at the intersection of Obispo and Ventura in Machesney Park. The vehicle is a blue 2012 Chevrolet Cruze four-door with Illinois plates. It was observed by neighbors at that location during the daytime hours. Smith reportedly was last seen by her husband late Monday night, Oct. 22, leaving home to run an errand. It is unknown if Smith left on her own or if she is the victim of foul play. Winnebago County Sheriff’s detectives along with detectives of the Roscoe Police Department are conducting the investigation. Anyone with information about Katrina Smith should call the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Police at (815) 319-6400 or Crime Stoppers at (815) 963-7867.

http://first-thoughts.org/on/Crime+Stoppers[/B]/

is this saying that as ts was reporting her missing that her car was found at the same time across time?

Hello. I've been following this case, first time posting. I may have missed some facts along the way ...

Did Katrina work on Monday Oct 22? If not, is it possible she could have been missing sooner?
What I can't get out of my mind was the fact some on-lookers happened to see Katrina's car hours earlier at the very spot the car was found the next day or so. Were they mixing up their days the car was seen earlier? Still that doesn't give a large enough gap for her remains to be so deteriorated.
So the ?fact? that Katrina had been running errands and showing up at the family home at 8 PM could also not be accurate at all? Any other witnesses other than TS?
I find it strange also that family would want burial so fast, considering that forensic testing could take longer. I understand they want this gruesome discovery out of the way as son as possible, however imo, I would allow more studies be done ... such as tox studies, etc.

Hi Marikesh! I'll try to answer what I remember to be accurate but don't hold me 100% accountable!! :blushing:

I believe she did work on the 22nd and went "missing" that evening. I do believe there is surveillance of her out and about prior the alledged time she left to run a 2nd errand around 9 p.m. Her car was found I believe on the 23rd but I do think people are claiming to have seen it earlier than the time it was reported found.

What prompoted me to post is because you asked about the family having a burial so fast.

Was her body released to Todd or her parents? Is he making the arrangments? Could he want her burried quickly with limited tests? eek! :what:

< snipped for space >

Was her body released to Todd or her parents? Is he making the arrangments? Could he want her burried quickly with limited tests? eek! :what:

This crossed my mind also .. under normal circumstances, it would be the husband, huh? I wonder WHO is making the arrangments etc.

I also thought I saw at the link that she was being cremated...

*I'll correct myself .. I just noticed that the place is a buriel and cremation place...* I don't see anything about her being cremated ...

imo

came to the boards today to check up on Katrina and my heart sank when I didn't see her in the missing pages. :( i knew it would come to this but it still breaks my heart. i wish this carp would end. now praying for justice for Katrina & some form of closure for her family. <3

That date still doesn't seem right. That's the day she disappeared. How would they KNOW that was the date she died??? It's been my understanding following other cases here at WS, that the DOD is the day they find the body because that's when they know for sure a person has passed. That was the DOD they gave Autumn Pasquale, even though she had been missing for a time. Hmmm. Maybe that will get changed later as more information comes out. IMO

IMO it really varies cases to case, victim to victim as to how exactly the date of death is officially marked. IMO the longer the victim's body remains unlocated, the more likely the DOD will be marked as the day the victim disappeared.. Does that make sense?

Like in Amber's case she was missing and found within days therefor that coroners office made the decision to go with the day her remains were found(as well as there could also be forensics at play that were determined in the autopsy that indicated she died after the day she went missing)..

But then in Katrina's case you have several Weeks that have passed where the autopsy is unable to even begin to pinpoint any semblance of an accurate TOD or even specifc DOD, but rather a more generalized amount of time the body has been deceased. Therefor in this case they mark the official DOD as when she disappeared because the testing shows the body had been deceased for some time and not recently.. Does that make sense?

Also what comes into play is LE investigation and what they could have uncovered or found as far as evidence indicating that a victim was possibly held and kept alive..or evidence that a massive amount of blood was found that would be indicative of death.. This information would also come into play in determining when a victim died..

Again from what little I know it truly varies from case to case, victim to victim, LE/ME to LE/ME..

Katrina TMK did work on Monday the 22nd, as do LE also have confirmation that Katrina was still alive and well out shopping between 7-8pm Monday the 22nd. That is the last documented time that anyone other than TS saw Katrina alive..

Her car was spotted by neighbors the morning hours of Tuesday the 23rd parked off the side of the road, UNOCCUPIED.. These neighbors AT THAT TIME had no idea Katrina was missing and IMO with the car being UNOCCUPIED one would likely assume she had car trounble or out of gas and had obviously made arrangements to have been picked up and her car had just not been towed yet.. So, they had no reason to become suspicious AT THAT TIME.

Later that evening of Tuesday the 23rd Todd goes to Roscoe PD and reports Katrina missing. At or around that same time Todd reports her in Roscoe as missing, her car in Machesney Park is being found (7:50pm) there at the same spot neighbors had seen it EARLIER THAT SAME DAY, off the side of the road..

So at some point the neighbors share this info with LE that they had seen her car in that same spot, unoccupied the morning of the 23rd therefor LE atleast could tighten the timeline in knowing that the car had been abandoned there since AT THE VERY LEAST early morning hours of Tuesday.

Regarding the deterioration of her body being so severe.. IMO we really don't know the extent of deterioration of the body except what we've been told by media.. As we know the media does at times embellish or exaggerate for their own selfish motives.. So, we honestly don't have an official statement of what stage of decomp that the body actually was.. But, honestly there are so very, many, many variables that go into the rate of decomposition its extremely difficult to pinpoint and say for certain that the remains were overly deteoriated for the believed amount of time since death..

Again each body and elements have widely differing variables that are at play in determining how fast or slow that a body will decompose.. So, IMO I wouldn't at all put too much weight into it being reported that the body was badly deteriorated to the point that it would be inconsistent with the DOD at or around Monday October 22..

ETA: Regarding the burial being indicative of possibly not doing a full and complete range of forensic testing.. Testing such as the toxicology that you mention has all been completed during the autopsy.. Now in order for those results from that type of forensic testing will take weeks to conclude...but ALL OF THE FORENSIC PATHOLOGY TESTING would have been taken during the autopsy.. The ME will have samples of all the necessary blood, tissue, body fluids, fkrensic evidence located on or in the body, etc...ALL OF THIS WOULD HAVE BEEN THOROUGHLY DOCUMENTED AND TAKEN FOR TESTING DURING THE AUTOPSY.. It will be weeks before those lab results are back from all of the testing, but all evidence and samples have been taken begorevthe body is released for burial..

So, her family burying her will in no way hinder any testing or forensics that her body will render to use to prosecute those responsible for her death.. And worst case scenario if for some unknown, unexpected reason there was something later determined as necessary to test WRT the body AS LONG AS THE BODY HAS NOT BEEN CREMATED you always have the last resort of exhuming the body for extremely specially circumstances..

But that is NOT AT ALL LIKELY due to the fact that the ME/FORENSIC PATHOLOGIST COMPLETES ALL COLLECTION OF SAMPLES NECESSARY FOR ALL FORENSIC EVIDNECE TESTING AT THE TIME OF THE AUTOPSY.. once all of those are collected there is no reason, cause, or need to keep the body, but rather realease the body to family for burial..

HTH:)

morning, dont know if this has been posted yet or not...it is the CRIMESTOPPERS write up and their timeline of events.

Crime Stoppers Report: 26 Oct 2012 17:07-

On the evening of Tuesday, Oct. 23, Katrina A. Smith, 30, of Machesney Park, Ill., was reported missing by her husband to the Roscoe Police Department. At approximately 7:50 p.m., the same evening, Smith&#8217;s vehicle was found unoccupied at the intersection of Obispo and Ventura in Machesney Park. The vehicle is a blue 2012 Chevrolet Cruze four-door with Illinois plates. It was observed by neighbors at that location during the daytime hours. Smith reportedly was last seen by her husband late Monday night, Oct. 22, leaving home to run an errand. It is unknown if Smith left on her own or if she is the victim of foul play. Winnebago County Sheriff&#8217;s detectives along with detectives of the Roscoe Police Department are conducting the investigation. Anyone with information about Katrina Smith should call the Winnebago County Sheriff&#8217;s Police at (815) 319-6400 or Crime Stoppers at (815) 963-7867.

http://first-thoughts.org/on/Crime+Stoppers[/B]/

is this saying that as ts was reporting her missing that her car was found at the same time across time?

MOO is that we still don't know EXACTLY the sequence of when the car was officially located(7:50pm) vs when Todd went to Roscoe to report her missing..

Now do you think that's just a coinkydink that LE has remained tight lipped on exactly what time TS went to Roscoe Tuesday evening to report her missing???

I sure don't.. I believe it is for very specific reason that this is withheld .. We can certainly conclude that the official discovery of the car in Machesney Park(7:50pm) and the time TS drives to Roscoe PD to report her missing ARE EXTREMELY CLOSE TOGETHER IN TIME..jmo.. But the question is which came first..

MOO is that it was a combo of several fam/friends aware and concerned along with possibly TS becoming aware that neighbors had seen the abandoned car that morning..and that he knew people were putting the two and two together so he had no choice but to report her as missing..KWIM??

**hoping that made sense cuz it makes perfect sense in my head..lol..:crazy:

Have we ever learned who the friend is that Katrina was currently living at his/her condo in Roscoe?

For whatever reason I initially was assuming the condo was unoccupied prior to Katrina moving in...as in it was a friend's condo that at that time was not being used and this offered to Katrina to move into when separating from Todd..

Does anyone have any clarification on this issue or whose condo it is and was the friend also living there when Katrina moved in?

FYI am not implying AT ALL possible involvement in her death, but rather just trying to go back and clarify an issue I now realize I have nothing at all confirming my intial assumption of the condo being vacant and Katrina living alone..jmo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FindIreneFlemingWAState