GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a bit behind but I wanted to jump off the subject of Katrina possibly having an extramarital affair and/or wanting out of her marriage.

Is it plausible that TS had an affair? Hence her leaving him? According to a few insiders, she recently proclaimed her love for him on her FB site. Not that FB is the "bible" per se but I know that a lot of people use it as a personal public blog.

Just a thought. She's no longer here to tell her story and I will most likely challenge all thoughts out of protection of her. I'm so weird.

:)

I know we don't have any proof yet but geeze - give us something LE!!!!!!!! If it's not TS, rule him out so we can look more intensely in other directions. I'm open to dissecting any individual's life, as long as it's within TOS - who had any contact w/ her!

I agree with you, LMStyle, that potential marital affair may not be a sufficient motive to make a seemly mature adult man kill his wife. I don't know if TS is guilty or not, and since at one point in life I did converse with TS on a regular basis (for work purposes) I would say I was dead-set against his guilt for quite some time.

However.

I question my stance quite a bit anymore. I don't know TS, personally, and haven't spoken with him in years... but I remember the emotional strain he went through when his business was being scrutinized. And Katrina was invovled in his scheduling, planning, and administrative portions of the job.

Maybe we are focusing too much on the separation as the motive, and not enough at the legal ramifications of luring retirees into giving money as an investment, but never investing their money but using it for personal uses? Possibly KS had legal fire against TS he didn't want (or need) coming out.

JMO (not quite sure what moo is, haha)

If you read the court documents all legal ramifications from that have been concluded. The local, state and federal officials dealing with that have already made their cases, issued their fines, penalties and in the cases where it needed to go to court have already convicted the center of it all Allen Watson from CFF Club.

I posted this earlier in this thread or the 1st Katrina thread pointing out that they know his involvement was very small and that the funds were all collected and managed by Travis Oliver and that TS was paid a commission for the investors he brought into the fold. Yes he did wrong, yes he did make mistakes, but all the information to be found in that case has already been handled, the authorities have already tracked all the funds, they know who got what and where it went, they followed the money trail.

She did not have some smoking gun of evidence against him that he was trying to silence her over, nor do I believe he would murder her because they were having problems or that she was considering leaving him.

LM - I know you feel strongly that TS was not involved. Do you have an opinion if it was a random attack, a stalker situation, and/or someone that knew her personally?

Do you think that they were in fact seperated but both ok with the fact that their marriage could be over?

And just because as much as I know about this case, I know nothing about Katrina. Can you honor her a bit and tell us a bit about her? What was she like as a person? What hobbies did she have?

I'd like to know - if that's ok.

I'd like to start by saying, I am angered, annoyed and embarrassed by last night's story by WTVO. In fact I feel like area *journalists* have really dropped the ball on this one. While they have been following Katrina since she was first reported missing they certainly aren't digging or pressing the issue. Which can be exampled by the total back off of the flier incident.

While a certain website implies that most locals think he is guilty that isn't necessarily the truth. I would guess maybe a 60/40 ratio. With the lesser side not being as vocal. I recognize at this juncture TS looks very guilty, I'm not completely convinced. There is a small part of me still on the fence. It is all rather convenient. Perhaps too convenient?

The first thing most of us are considering when looking at TS's volatile behavior is the fire. He set the fire, tried to burn his family alive. Therefore he must be guilty! Right? Then we fast forward 25 years and he is connected with a ponzi scam. A deplorable scam bilking the elderly out of Millions of dollars. The extent of his role in the scam and his knowledge can only be speculated to a certain degree--yet I think we all can agree any involvement at all is unthinkable. That being said this was not a violent act. In those 25 years, he was married, fathered 3 daughters, divorced, and married again to Katrina. During all that time there seems to be a lack of behavior that would implicate he would murder his wife.

What if we took away the fire that he confessed to? Would he still look as guilty? But he confessed!! He confessed to setting that fire...he confessed! **Rumor Alert** Folks in the area have gossiped for years that another party was responsible for that fire and possibly others. Yet the family maintains they were involved in only ONE fire. **Rumor Alert**

As much as I disliked the "story" done by WTVO last night. I found myself watching it and listening to it several times. Why?

"The minute that I heard he was trying to blame my father and they were trying to blame me for these fires, pushing the blame all around, I immediately felt very confident that he had something to do with this," said Raprager.

http://mystateline.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=365202

Why is it so hard? Because you obviously don't know them and I do, so no I don't BELIEVE that he wanted her dead, and scream it and post it 10,000 times just like half the rest of the people running around saying the same thing and I still will refuse to believe it.

He's not that 17 year old anymore, he has 3 amazing and beautiful daughters to think about, he had Katrina who was an amazing and sweet person. You don't know the whole story about the fire, you only know what you have read.

What was his motive since you state he had the motive?

<Mod Snip>

Honestly, I would assume that beng friends with TS (or anyone suspected of involvement in such a horrific crime) would absolutely make it more difficult to see with unbiased eyes what the rest of us are seeing in this case.

Completely disregarding the arson case, TS's behavior and actions since Katrina was reported missing over 3 weeks ago are quite bothersome. To be completely truthful, he reminds me quite a bit to Scott Peterson and how he behaved in the weeks after he reported Laci missing. Todd has not seemed to be the grieving, desperate husband, unlike his daughters who have pleaded for information and searched for their missing, and much loved, stepmom. Todd has not gone to the media, begging for help. Pleading with whoever took his wife to bring her home. If my spouse was missing I would be begging anyone who would listen to help me. Todd just seems to content to let others do the searching.

And when his wife was found, dead and left in the river he still had no comment, never thanked the searchers for their tireless effort like we heard from her stepbrother Chad. Even if their relationship was rocky, uncertain when she vanished one would assume that he would be grateful for the sake of his daughters that their beloved stepmom had been brought home for a proper good bye and respectful burial.

If this was a close friend of mine I'm certain that struggling with the idea that someone I knew and cared about could do something so heinous would be inconceivable, but eventually one must admit that your worst nightmare may in fact be a reality. I certainly do not envy your position LMStyle, and I hope my suspicions regarding Todd are incorrect, but the sad reality is that in cases like this the spouse most often is the guilty party.

I don't even consider the fire when I think about TS.

I still can't get past:

If your marriage is fine and she was expected home after an errand, why are you not concerned enough to call LE for almost 24 hours?

If you suspected she wasn't coming home, and knew she was staying elsewhere, why lie to LE (or the media) about your marriage being fine and she wasn't staying somewhere else?

The only explanation I can find for that is to cover something up, or deflect attention off yourself.

My hinky meter was going off before I even knew about "the fire" ..

Two things that speak volumes to me regarding this case are the fact that we have not heard LE warning the public that they should be cautious since a murderer is on the loose (and Katrina's cause of death confirms that someone is a murderer) nor have we heard them comment on Todd's cooperation with the investigation allowing them to clear him as a suspect. I have found that when there is no cause to caution the public of a possible threat to their safety it usually means that the guilty party was close to the victim and poses no threat to the general public. Just MOO of course, still hoping that I might be wrong, if only for the sake of Katrina's three stepdaughters.

I don't even consider the fire when I think about TS.

I still can't get past:

If your marriage is fine and she was expected home after an errand, why are you not concerned enough to call LE for almost 24 hours?

If you suspected she wasn't coming home, and knew she was staying elsewhere, why lie to LE (or the media) about your marriage being fine and she wasn't staying somewhere else?

The only explanation I can find for that is to cover something up, or deflect attention off yourself.

My hinky meter was going off before I even knew about "the fire" ..

Exactly.

WIFR, Channel 23 in Rockford, reported the following during the noon news today:
The Winnebago County Sheriff's Department is out searching again today for more evidence surrounding the murder of Katrina Smith. The body was found in the river near Byron about a week ago and now investigators are out looking for more evidence in Byron today. Visitation will also be held for Katrina tonight at Heartland Community Church, that's on Alpine. It will be from 5 o'clock until nine.

WIFR does not have a link to this story, but perhaps more locals also heard it.

.... looking for more evidence in Byron .... i.n.t.e.r.e.s.t.i.n.g

Honestly, I would assume that beng friends with TS (or anyone suspected of involvement in such a horrific crime) would absolutely make it more difficult to see with unbiased eyes what the rest of us are seeing in this case.

Completely disregarding the arson case, TS's behavior and actions since Katrina was reported missing over 3 weeks ago are quite bothersome. To be completely truthful, he reminds me quite a bit to Scott Peterson and how he behaved in the weeks after he reported Laci missing. Todd has not seemed to be the grieving, desperate husband, unlike his daughters who have pleaded for information and searched for their missing, and much loved, stepmom. Todd has not gone to the media, begging for help. Pleading with whoever took his wife to bring her home. If my spouse was missing I would be begging anyone who would listen to help me. Todd just seems to content to let others do the searching.

And when his wife was found, dead and left in the river he still had no comment, never thanked the searchers for their tireless effort like we heard from her stepbrother Chad. Even if their relationship was rocky, uncertain when she vanished one would assume that he would be grateful for the sake of his daughters that their beloved stepmom had been brought home for a proper good bye and respectful burial.

If this was a close friend of mine I'm certain that struggling with the idea that someone I knew and cared about could do something so heinous would be inconceivable, but eventually one must admit that your worst nightmare may in fact be a reality. I certainly do not envy your position LMStyle, and I hope my suspicions regarding Todd are incorrect, but the sad reality is that in cases like this the spouse most often is the guilty party.

Actually from what I recall of the Peterson case, was that Scott was CONSTANTLY in front of the cameras pleading and playing the role of a concerned grieving husband, quite the opposite of what you stated above that TS did.

I am not surprised at all by him stepping back and letting the brother Chad take the head of it all because of all the fingers being pointed at Todd, all the past crap being dug up. All of that takes away from the focus on Katrina, so I applaud him for stepping back so that the focus remained on Katrina because you know damn well that if he was in front of those cameras every other question if not ever question would have been about the fire or the investment thing and NOT about Katrina. I think that is why he thought lets just hold a press conference about my past, let them ask all their questions, get this past **** out of the way so we can move on to focusing on Katrina, but after so much whining and complaining on the FB post where it was announced, they just decided to scrap the whole idea and let Chad take the lead.

Once again, you nor I have ever been in the position he is in, so to say we would have done different or acted different is just nonsense.

Edit: You said Todd seemed content to let others do the searching, from every source I have heard from was that Todd has been at every search event, vigil, memorial and press conference. Just because you don't see him on camera doesn't mean he wasn't there.

Actually from what I recall of the Peterson case, was that Scott was CONSTANTLY in front of the cameras pleading and playing the role of a concerned grieving husband, quite the opposite of what you stated above that TS did.

I am not surprised at all by him stepping back and letting the brother Chad take the head of it all because of all the fingers being pointed at Todd, all the past crap being dug up. All of that takes away from the focus on Katrina, so I applaud him for stepping back so that the focus remained on Katrina because you know damn well that if he was in front of those cameras every other question if not ever question would have been about the fire or the investment thing and NOT about Katrina. I think that is why he thought lets just hold a press conference about my past, let them ask all their questions, get this past **** out of the way so we can move on to focusing on Katrina, but after so much whining and complaining on the FB post where it was announced, they just decided to scrap the whole idea and let Chad take the lead.

Once again, you nor I have ever been in the position he is in, so to say we would have done different or acted different is just nonsense.

BBM

.......so does trying to set up a news conference to "set the record straight" about "me". Katrina is missing but he wants to make sure that everyone knows he didn't do what he was convicted of ....

At least he had the decency to think twice about that.

imo

Edit: You said Todd seemed content to let others do the searching, from every source I have heard from was that Todd has been at every search event, vigil, memorial and press conference. Just because you don't see him on camera doesn't mean he wasn't there.

Scott Peterson gave a few interviews to the media where he desperately tried to squeeze out a tear or two but was never a part of the vigils or searches. Sure he was there on the sidelines, talking on his cell or to his buddies, but never participating. His excuse, he didn't want to take the focus off Laci.

For those of you who care about him, I hope Todd is innocent.

I am hoping for an arrest before the funeral.

I agree. I hope, for the sake of those three beautiful grieving girls and her siblings and parents I desperately hope he had nothing to do with it.

I didnt take it as "whining" in regard to the family presser they attempted to have, it was more of an outright revolt against taking time away from Katrina and searching for her. And if he was ok with answering questions about his past then, I don't understand how or why that would keep him from making a public plea for his wifes safe return then, or now that she has been found murdered that he might be so inclined to make an emotional plea for the murderer to be found and brought to justice---past issues be damned, he did his time and he owes no one anything in regard to that situation...

What I see are excuses...its poor Todd, people will always think hes guilty- so thats why hes acting the way he does... Or its:

If you have never been in this situation then you have no right to judge, interpret how a person should act. No one would act the same. etc. etc.
But the fact of the matter is, is that the FBI and many other institutions study these situations and they can tell you that people do have normal and abnormal reactions and behaviors in any given situation... I have no idea where Todd falls in this regard as im not an expert - but I know that there are experts in this exact field of information, and that it is normal human behavior to watch and interpret what other humans are doing. Thats how we learn. Our perceptions are not always correct due to personal biases ...but we still perceive all the same...right or wrong.

I mean no disrespect and am not wanting to be argumentative, but I dont believe that Todds past legal issues are why he isnt REACTING like his wife has just been found murdered. The only thing he has seemed to feel strongly enough to speak up about was that law enforcement was wrong and proceeded to lie about the marital status and living arrangements. Does that mean that he disappeared his wife? NO. I just get the distinct feeling that he prefers for Chad to do all the work... figuring out the searches etc. all the public speaking and showing all the emotions of a person being distraught because their loved one is first missing and now murdered. Is it possible that Todd is not a very emotional person? Could be. :moo::twocents:

Why is it so hard? Because you obviously don't know them and I do, so no I don't BELIEVE that he wanted her dead, and scream it and post it 10,000 times just like half the rest of the people running around saying the same thing and I still will refuse to believe it.

He's not that 17 year old anymore, he has 3 amazing and beautiful daughters to think about, he had Katrina who was an amazing and sweet person. You don't know the whole story about the fire, you only know what you have read.

What was his motive since you state he had the motive?

<Mod Snip>

You obviously have intimate knowledge of Todd and the family dynamics we don't. Over the years, I have learned that people can be truly deceitful. What you see externally, is not what is in that person's heart.

Crimes of passion happen because someone, is pushed beyond their own self-control and they snap. I'm thinking there is a possibility that happened in this case.

I hope your faith in him is not misplaced, I hate to see people blindsided and hurt.

You obviously have intimate knowledge of Todd and the family dynamics we don't. Over the years, I have learned that people can be truly deceitful. What you see externally, is not what is in that person's heart.

Crimes of passion happen because someone, is pushed beyond their own self-control and they snap. I'm thinking there is a possibility that happened in this case.

I hope your faith in him is not misplaced, I hate to see people blindsided and hurt.

I appreciate that Knox and yeah it does happen, possibly in this case, but I truly hope not.

.... looking for more evidence in Byron .... i.n.t.e.r.e.s.t.i.n.g

Like what, a weapon? Sheets or blankets, plastic sheeting? Blunt force trauma: baseball bat, golf club?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kellieshoes