GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hum, was there a protective order filed? Where is the legitimate information that Katrina suffered domestic violence? While I agree Todd looks guilty, he has not yet been arrested, and I prefer to wait for LE and not hop on the "guilty as sin" bandwagon. jMHO.

no one said whether one was filed or not - our discussion only states that one protects a victim from certain things. also, there does not have to be domestic abuse in Illinois to get one, it also protects from threats & stalking (which are forms of abuse also)

What is an Order of Protection?

With an Order of Protection, you can ask a judge to protect you from your abuser. For example, a judge can order the abuser to:
•Stop abusive acts;
•Stay away from your home, school, or work;
•Not contact you;
•Attend counseling;
•Pay child support; or
•Move out of a home you share.

http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/ind...ontentID=5177&zipcode=61101&criteria=domestic violence&print=yes#cq2

I think reporter Whitney posted for anyone with any information to contact her. This was all later retracted. (It is documented here on WS).

That's right, thank you. Now I remember who said that.

To be honest IMO the above LE quote cannot be assumed to mean this..

In fact this statement is not at all a situation specific statement but rather is seen in a large percentage of cases that have media attention.. While it "could" possibly mean the above ..IMO more often than not it means that LE at that point in time cannot say for certain whether Katrina had left and disappeared herself intentionally(which is not a crime).. Or whether in fact she had become a victim of foul play(which we know is a crime)..

IMO that is the standard statement that LE will issue at the beginning of these type investigations when they do not yet have proof one way or the other (left of her own free will and is continuing to choose to stay away...or she has become a victim and is not of her own free will)..

Jmo, but definitely something easily verified in looking at missing person cases of adults within the initial investigation phase when LE are not even certain a crime has actually occurred..

Therefor IMO seeing as how LE made this particular statement the day after she was reported missing its my strong opinion that LE are meaning this in the standard, general way of their uncertain whether she has left and of her own free will is choosing to stay away... Or whether an actual crime has occured with her meeting with foul play..

I honestly do not believe that the statement meant either she left Todd's home alive..or never left from Todd's home alive.. At 24hrs in even if LE believed that there's no way they would have publicly stated such..jmo, tho.

You state that but LE must have though that TS had something to do with it as they broke into his house when he was being questioned to see if she was there. This was right around the time of the Sherriffs statement.

:mad:I was REALLY hoping for an arrest today. I do have a wonderful feeling that LE is taking all precautions to make the charges stick to whomever is responsible. Im withholding judgement because honestly we only know "parts" of the crime(as in msm reports of family/friends/LE). However their isnt any other obvious suspect but what do i know!! All of this rambling is :moo:

:frown:

<snipped> why wasn't there an order of protection against ts in place? Kinda feels like nobody counselled her on what her rights were on getting him removed from the home and getting some safety.

TS played her emotional side...please let's not tell the kids yet, yada yada yada. Yes, the kids would be affected, but they are college age, practically adults themselves. Just goes to show how kind of a person Katrina was, and how emotionally abusive ts was to her, clinging and controlling.

no one said whether one was filed or not - our discussion only states that one protects a victim from certain things. also, there does not have to be domestic abuse in Illinois to get one, it also protects from threats & stalking (which are forms of abuse also)

Originally Posted by B4igo2it

I 100% agree, she should have done so! - Filing an Order of Protection for Domestic Violence is very easy to do!

http://www.illinoislegalaid.org/inde...teria=domestic violence#a=questions

Amen to your last statement - he may have been alot worse than we could ever imagine.

:) After reading the Post by 750 and the statement by LE on the Link, as shown below, I checked the court records for an order of protection for Katrina and any charges or arrests on domestic violence by TS, there were none for either.

:twocents: IIRC, the person needing protection has to request the OOP and would need to be able to comply with certain requirements of the court regarding her protection. Katrina may not have felt she would be able or wanted to comply with the court requirements .... as it would have become public information in the court records that she had filed with the court against her spouse.

I would not be at all surprised to learn that Katrina did not reveal the extent of her concerns and marital problems to family .... probably only a few trusted friends knew .... I have seen this happen in many families and with friends. But, no one I personally knew was murdered. For Katrina :rose:

Posted by 750 on 10-30-2012, 09:43 PM

She was staying in Roscoe in a condo off of Hwy 251 by the Highlander grocery store.

It was hardly a "housesitting" situation as described by the husband. The girl that owns the condo(a very good friend of Katrina's) had moved out of state several months ago and had recently allowed Katrina stay there to help her get though the separation.

Why he would issue a press release telling everyone that they were happily married and still living together is beyond me. The police are well aware of Katrina's attempt to separate from her husband.

I was fortunate enough to meet her several times. <snipped> very compassionate and beautiful. Judging by the information being released it's becoming more and more clear that this won't end well.

http://www.rrstar.com/updates/x255959284/Missing-Machesney-womans-purse-cell-phone-found

Posted Oct 26, 2012 @ 06:30 PM
Last update Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

Friday, Winnebago County Sheriff’s Department Deputy Chief Dominic Iasparro <snipped>.... Although Smith lived in Machesney Park with her husband, Iasparro said the couple had been separated for several weeks. Smith had been living by herself, Iasparro said, in a friend’s condo in Roscoe. Her husband reported her missing to the Roscoe Police Department on Tuesday night.

BBM

:mad:I was REALLY hoping for an arrest today. I do have a wonderful feeling that LE is taking all precautions to make the charges stick to whomever is responsible. Im withholding judgement because honestly we only know "parts" of the crime(as in msm reports of family/friends/LE). However their isnt any other obvious suspect but what do i know!! All of this rambling is :moo:

I so agree...

I see the selfish part of me wanting an answer... right Now!!!

but I respect the LE and how they seem to be quite thorough and methodical as they continue to make a tight case!:seeya:

You state that but LE must have though that TS had something to do with it as they broke into his house when he was being questioned to see if she was there. This was right around the time of the Sherriffs statement.

1. You have no proof that this even happened, it was something someone else here claimed they heard from a good source or friend or some crap like that and now here it is being repeated as if it was fact, announced in MSM or other reports.

2. The house was owned by Katrina, it is in her name, they wouldn't need permission, nor could anyone refuse them right to enter the home owned by a missing person.

3. With no one home, they would have to break in to search or look, how else would they get in. If they were so certain they thought he had something to do with it and that she might be there, they would have just kicked in the front door.

Restating stuff like this as if it was factual is how rumors and gossip gets started.

I so agree...

I see the selfish part of me wanting an answer... right Now!!!

but I respect the LE and how they seem to be quite thorough and methodical as they continue to make a tight case!:seeya:

I'm also following a case of missing wife in alabama husbands sttements are not ringing true yet LE doesnt seem to be doing much. I think LE here has done an exceptional job for Katrina and her family so for. :great: Yeah for them!!!

I wish I had something profound to add. I pray that there is a suspect and an arrest soon. I don't know what to think anymore. Other than, the sadness that someone was taken for no reason at all. We really have some horrible people walking amongst us, don't we??

I'm also following a case of missing wife in alabama husbands sttements are not ringing true yet LE doesnt seem to be doing much. I think LE here has done an exceptional job for Katrina and her family so for. :great: Yeah for them!!!

Could the initials of the missing wife and husband in Alabama be LW and CW?.....:wink:

You may be correct, scadder and that's why I specifically stated that the statement in question "could" be of the meaning in which you are believing it to be.. But strictly in my own opinion based upon the SOP of LE in missing persons cases (specifically adults) by far and wide in the majority of them when LE makes such a statement during the initial investigation phase(first 24–72hrs) it is indicating at that point in the jnvestigation LE as far as publicly do not yet evidence either way..
a) that the missing person left of their own free will and continues to stay gone of their own free will
b) that the missing person was or is not of their own free will and therefor met with foul play

A) obviously meaning no crime has taken place therefor LE ceases involvement..and B) obviously meaning the exact opposite and LE forge ahead in a continued investigation until the missing person and the perp responsible are located.

In this specific case could this general, commonly used statement by LE have a completely different meaning than what it typically does?..yes.

"Family and friends say final goodbye to Katrina Smith"
http://www.wrex.com/story/20127894/family-and-friends-say-final-goodby-to-katrina-smith
ROCKFORD (WREX) -
"Hundreds of community members pay their respects to Katrina Smith, as she is laid in her final resting place.

Family and loved ones gather to say their final goodbyes. Including her step daughters, who take time to share memories of her at the ceremony......." <snipped>

i have been browsing thru :) is there anything that you can recall of any friend or family member stating that katrina was terrified of todd? im not trying to be nitpicky....i just have not found anything that definitively states this. it would go a long way in knocking me off the fence about todds possible involvement....tia

Nothing I can find, and nothing I remember.

But... maybe could have been in the half-brothers blogsite... no idea, I briefly looked at that. Not even 1/100th of the posts though.

Nothing I can find, and nothing I remember.

But... maybe could have been in the half-brothers blogsite... no idea, I briefly looked at that. Not even 1/100th of the posts though.

i went thru your archive and couldnt find anything, and i read quite a bit of the forbidden site which is complete trash ... no way to know who is making the comments..but i didnt see anything there either or on the official fb justiceforkatrina...and they are def. not pro todd, but nothing there either. so i am unable to find it or it just does not exist.

:waitasec: :waitasec:

I honestly do not believe that the statement meant either she left Todd's home alive..or never left from Todd's home alive.. At 24hrs in even if LE believed that there's no way they would have publicly stated such..jmo, tho.

The news release shown below is a very "publicaly" stated document by LE ...

I have great respect and appreciation for all LE, and I know several personally. These LE have been working around the clock since Katrina disappeared. Any information they have and will be able to share with the public is highly regarded by me. No one can be more disappointed than they are that an arrest has not been possible yet.

:cop: :grouphug: :detective:

http://www.winnebagosheriff.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=324&Itemid=160

MISSING PERSON 10/24/12

Winnebago County Sheriff's PoliceNews Media Release
News Release Number2012-032
Date: October 24,2012
Time: 3:30P.M.
Page 1 of 1

On the evening of Tuesday October 23, 2012 Katrina A. Smith (white female/ DOB 7-16-82/30yrs old) was reported missing to the Roscoe Police Department. She was reported missing by her husband. At approximately 7:50P.M.the same evening, Ms Smith’s vehicle was located un-occupied at the intersection of Obispo and Ventura in Machesney Park Illinois. The vehicle is a Blue 2012 Chevrolet Cruze 4dr. with Illinois Plates. It was observed by neighbors at that location during the daytime hours. Ms Smith reportedly was last seen by her husband late Monday night October 22, 2012 leaving home to run an errand. Ms Smith also lives in Machesney Park. At this point it is unknown if Ms Smith left on her own or if she is the victim of foul play. Winnebago County Sheriff’s Detectives along with Detectives of the Roscoe Police Department are conducting the investigation. Anyone with information on Ms Smith is asked to call the Winnebago County Sheriff’s Police (815/3196400) or CrimeStoppers (815/9637867). A photo of Ms Smith is attached.

Could you provide a link for this info? I recall a search warrant was served on Todd almost a week later because we wondered what took LE so long to search the house. I never read anything about LE "breaking into the house."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitzybjj