GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.facebook.com/MeghanDwyer23News

The Grand Jury meets every Wednesday in Rockford so maybe we will see an indictment handed down in the near future. Since the Grand Jury meets in secret there is no way to know what case they are meeting for or if more than one case?? But it is being discussed at the News Anchor Meghan Dwyer/WIFR 23 fb ....

hoping more info will come out soon....

I watched the funeral video... WOW this woman was a wonderful friend and sibling, daughter, community member, etc. She was so loved in her life.

After watching the family's testimonies, I was thinking that Katrina isn't the only victim here. Her stepdaughters are victims for losing Katrina from their life. As is everyone else who loved her, her family and friends. The ripple effect of her murder is immeasurable. I really wish murderers thought of this impact before acting. But, they are probably only thinking of themselves.

I wonder if the murderer was there (at the funeral)...

I understand LE watches the guests at funerals/memorial services for unusual behavior...

How sad to have to have such an intimate event be tainted by the possibility of a perp's attendance...:(

I watched the funeral video... WOW this woman was a wonderful friend and sibling, daughter, community member, etc. She was so loved in her life.

Particularly interesting is Miraynda's talk about Katrina. She expresses her pride in Katrina "especially lately when she decided to seek her own happiness finally... paraphrased. It is near the very beginning, Miryanda was the first speaker.

Also touching was the song by Katrina's friend Rosa, and Chad gave a powerful eulogy... he is truly a man to admire.

I added quite a few stills from the vid, as well as some from the tribute video... where there are hundreds of pics of Katrina's life.

Here is the Case Archive:

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm166/crankycrankerson/Katrina Smith -IL-/

Just wanted to thank you again, Amanda.. Your dedication to so many in creating and keeping up to date archives of each of these victims is truly something I admire and comend you for in doing.

I cannot tell you just how very helpful your archives are to have now presently...as well as to have much later on when having gone to trial, sentencing, and so forth.. I appreciate so very much your taking the time in doing such an excellent and thorough job for each case, for each victim..

You cannot be thanked enough for all you've done and continue to do!:hug:

:heartbeat:
Smooth aka Jess

I wonder if the murderer was there (at the funeral)...

I understand LE watches the guests at funerals/memorial services for unusual behavior...

How sad to have to have such an intimate event be tainted by the possibility of a perp's attendance...:(

Whoever their POI is, I'm sure they observed and gauged their response to the events. Sadly, the perp at the funeral happens all too often. Especially if for some reason they are expected to be there.

Ok, I don't think that anyone else has said this. I am going to throw this out there. No bashing please! I was sitting today working on a project and a thought came to me that, I think may be more horrifying than TS murdering Katrina. What about the ex wife? What was her relationship with Katrina like. There had to be some interaction because of the girls. I am not sure when Todd and Theresa ended their marriage or under what circumstances. Katrina is 15 years younger than Todd. She was young and beautiful. Also, she was only 9 years older than the oldest daughter. Having had teenage girls, they probably really enjoyed time with Katrina as a friend and a mentor (not as a mother). Is it possible that the ex was threatened by this. Not sure where the thought came from, but it gave me chills and I literally felt sick to my stomach. Thoughts? If this post violates TOS please delete.

I am not an 'Insider' to this case, and will not pretend to be. I am always curious about these cases, and the fact that this is in my locality peaks my interest. I have a different approach to understanding and interpreting clues than what I have found on here – at least so far. I went to school for Social Services to become an Alcohol/Substance Abuse Counselor. One class that we had dealt more with psychology than anything related to addiction. As a class, we were somewhat perplexed as to why so much of the training was on compiling Psyche profiles - especially Cluster B Disorders. Some students were actually considering dropping the class. So we addressed the Professor after class one night and asked him, "Why are you spending so much time on profiling and diagnosis of Personality Disorders and Behavior Disorders? What does this have to do with Alcohol/Substance Abuse?" The next night he provided us with the answer to our questions. He informed us that it was of no use to the Patient or ourselves if someone had a Mental Illness that went undiagnosed. Often times substance abuse is just a symptom of a serious Disorder and not the primary concern. In addition, he went on to relate several experiences he has had in dealing with Cluster B Type Disorders - including Psychopathology. It turned out to be the best class any of us had ever taken. It was a practical learning experience that can literally save your life. If you don't learn to spot them before they spot you, you could become the next victim, whether it's your wallet or purse that come up missing, your 401K, or your life. Two of us did an out of class study on Psychopathology for extra credit; it was the most fascinating thing I have ever researched. I have personal experience with Cluster B now, and I can tell you it is frightening indeed. One of the most defining aspects of the human personality is the presence of conscience, 96percent of us have one. When you detect its absence, you have to throw out all that pertains to what we consider common sense, the concept of morality, and anything else we automatically attribute to the condition of being 'human'. We were told that if you suspect that an individual is psychopathic to refer them immediately to Mental Health Professionals - and not to even attempt Counseling. And that was for our own good - not the Patients. Any Doctor will tell you that there is no such thing as a 'telephone diagnosis', a patient must be seen. I think this analogy applies to crime or suspected criminal activity. If you want to know what kind of mind can do this, read Dr. Robert Hares' "Without Conscience". TS is innocent until proven guilty, and while we may have our opinions we are not in a position to make any assumptions about specific individuals based on what the police, Media, social media, etc… have stated. Does this mean that we cannot draw some conclusions about the crime at hand? Of course not. I have drawn my own conclusions based on what I know about how the typical psychopath works and what information I have about this case. So far I think I have done a pretty good job, however biased that may be.

I have drawn my own conclusions based on what I know about how the typical psychopath works and what information I have about this case. So far I think I have done a pretty good job, however biased that may be.

Thanks for writing this, it is exactly what I have wanted to say but wasn't sure if this sort of content was allowed here. I have spent the last 20 years studying human behavior and feel pretty confident in observing and identifying sociopaths, narcissists and psychopaths. Psychological profiling is my forte. Of course, this sort of thing cannot be proven with concrete facts per se, just the science of psychology, which is often subjective. IMO the person who committed this crime was a psychopath, relatively intelligent, premeditated. IMO the victim just happened to be married and separated from a person who displays a large amount of sociopathic personality traits. Sociopathic traits can be observed in everyday interactions with a person. (Example: Lack of appropriate response or emotion in a situation). Psychopathic traits often can only be observed during an episode or outburst, so only people close to a psychopath might witness it. (Example: Violence, threats, intimidation). IMO the crimes of arson/attempted murder against family and committing financial fraud against the elderly are psychopathic/sociopathic crimes.

This is the lens through which I see this case. For what it is worth, this is MOO.

Just wanted to thank you again, Amanda.. Your dedication to so many in creating and keeping up to date archives of each of these victims is truly something I admire and comend you for in doing.

I cannot tell you just how very helpful your archives are to have now presently...as well as to have much later on when having gone to trial, sentencing, and so forth.. I appreciate so very much your taking the time in doing such an excellent and thorough job for each case, for each victim..

You cannot be thanked enough for all you've done and continue to do!:hug:

:heartbeat:
Smooth aka Jess
And Amandareckonwith...

When you write a True Crime Book from all these photo buckets... Will you autograph my copy? :book: :great:

Ok, I don't think that anyone else has said this. I am going to throw this out there. No bashing please! I was sitting today working on a project and a thought came to me that, I think may be more horrifying than TS murdering Katrina. What about the ex wife? What was her relationship with Katrina like. There had to be some interaction because of the girls. I am not sure when Todd and Theresa ended their marriage or under what circumstances. Katrina is 15 years younger than Todd. She was young and beautiful. Also, she was only 9 years older than the oldest daughter. Having had teenage girls, they probably really enjoyed time with Katrina as a friend and a mentor (not as a mother). Is it possible that the ex was threatened by this. Not sure where the thought came from, but it gave me chills and I literally felt sick to my stomach. Thoughts? If this post violates TOS please delete.

Based on the comments made by the girls and Theresa I'm pretty sure they had a good relationship. The two older girls were very vocal in their love for Katrina and their desperation to find her. The ex even thanked Katrina in one interview for taking such good care of her girls when she wasn't there.

Is it possible that their close relationship bothered Todd?

Iberico, you and I are on the same page. That is exactly what I think. I had the opportunity to meet the subject at hand, and he set off my alarm bells like a gong. I have watched him now on two occasions for some length of time, and I came to the same conclusion both times. And yes, I have been afraid to post this because I was not sure this is the place for it. And, I reserve the right to be wrong, but in these types of matters I seldom am. Unfortanatley, I have had too much practice. But, I try to remember that my opinion is not 'evidence' and does present as such- another reason I have stayed in the shadows until now. We are dealing with a Primary/Organized individual that covered their tracks well or they would have been taken off of the street by now. I was looking along the Rock River from south of Rockford to Byron long before most were. Why? Because the Organized/White Collar type do not dig ditches for anyone - even if it means covering their own hide. Nor do they abduct, kill, and dump in the same location. This was not a random act at all. We will talk some more I hope - provided it does not break the admins rules.

Thanks for writing this, it is exactly what I have wanted to say but wasn't sure if this sort of content was allowed here. I have spent the last 20 years studying human behavior and feel pretty confident in observing and identifying sociopaths, narcissists and psychopaths. Psychological profiling is my forte. Of course, this sort of thing cannot be proven with concrete facts per se, just the science of psychology, which is often subjective. IMO the person who committed this crime was a psychopath, relatively intelligent, premeditated. IMO the victim just happened to be married and separated from a person who displays a large amount of sociopathic personality traits. Sociopathic traits can be observed in everyday interactions with a person. (Example: Lack of appropriate response or emotion in a situation). Psychopathic traits often can only be observed during an episode or outburst, so only people close to a psychopath might witness it. (Example: Violence, threats, intimidation). IMO the crimes of arson/attempted murder against family and committing financial fraud against the elderly are psychopathic/sociopathic crimes.

This is the lens through which I see this case. For what it is worth, this is MOO.

The way I understand it... Working with psychopaths/sociopaths can be crazy-making to the therapist....

Commoncents states above that 4% of the population has no conscience (psychopath/sociopath).....

I agree that TS exhibits traits which could classify him as person without a conscience.... Considering his history of arson, attempt to kill family members, and swindling elderly people out of their retirement.

But I am going to put another question out on this thread.... The odds seem low that Katrina could have been involved in some way with another psychopath.... But is this a possibility?

With the information we have... This is probably a question that cannot be answered... But I am still... For the sake of trying to keep an open mind...attempting to explore all avenues...

Just some thoughts...

The good news is, psychopaths are typically arrogant and believe that they can outsmart everyone else. This is where they make mistakes and slip up, and this is where they get caught. And they will adamantly deny any wrong doing until the day they die. So be prepared for a fight if there is an arrest and a trial.

The odds seem low that Katrina could have been involved in some way with another psychopath.... But is this a possibility?

Yes. A person who had been in a relationship with a psychopath, would have a higher likelihood of attracting and being attracted to another psychopath in the future. Even when trying to consciously avoid the same type of person again, it just seems to happen. It doesn't help that psychopaths can be highly charismatic and likeable, at first.

IMO there hasn't been much evidence of anyone else having MOTIVE for the murder, psychopathic or not. Hypothetically, if she had started dating a psychopath, it was still new enough that a jealous motivation wouldn't have developed yet.

IMO the only other person with motive would be an Ex of a man that the victim was dating.

IMO the only other person with motive would be an Ex of a man that the victim was dating.

Or a jealous new love interest that did NOT like the fact that she went back to the home she and the spouse shared.

http://mystateline.com/fulltext-news?nxd_id=366072

"Family of Katrina Smith Plans to Start Katrina Smith Foundation"

November 20, 2012 (ROCKFORD) -- Schoonmaker Park is where it all started where dozens of family, friends, and community searched for Katrina Smith, 30.
Smith's body was discovered in the Rock River in Bryon.

Sitting at Schoonmaker Park now reminds Katrina's brother Chad Kaltved of the tremoundous outpouring support they received from so many hoping to find her alive....

<snipped>

Or a jealous new love interest that did NOT like the fact that she went back to the home she and the spouse shared.

Did she have a serious new relationship? I would think she might have, but wouldn't LE know about him and have investigated that scenario?

It just seems that if you compare a husband to a new 'love interest', it seems the husband would have more invested and be more enraged than a potential new relationship. JMO

Did she have a serious new relationship? I would think she might have, but wouldn't LE know about him and have investigated that scenario?

It just seems that if you compare a husband to a new 'love interest', it seems the husband would have more invested and be more enraged than a potential new relationship. JMO

Katrina did reportedly have a boyfriend in her life. LE is aware of him and has been from the start of the investigation.

From reports of people present he participated in quite a few searches and was also in attendance at the wake last week.

Katrina did reportedly have a boyfriend in her life. LE is aware of him and has been from the start of the investigation.

From reports of people present he participated in quite a few searches and was also in attendance at the wake last week.

Thanks. I don't see any reason that a brand new boyfriend would kill her just for her going by her home that her husband is living in. Why do that ?

If anyone had a reason to be upset, it was her husband. She had a bf, and her husband was under the illusion she was just 'house sitting' for a friend. He either didn't know the truth, couldn't accept the truth, or was lying about the truth.

I have to wonder if she attempted to tell her husband that she was moving out and moving on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CP95