GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a good feeling about this. I hope it's not her but how may missing women are there in that area that are white???? Beautiful Katrina, I hope you are ok.

My gut feeling is that this is Katrina as much as I hate to say it. I'm just south of where this body was discovered by about 20 miles and I'm telling you, as dry as it was this year, the river is very very low and the chances of anything as large as a human body going over the damn right now is very unlikely. That combined with the fact that with the river so low, bacteria etc. is going to be very concentrated and would probably do more damage in a shorter timeframe because of this. There are a number of areas along that area north of where this was discovered that someone could go to put a body in the river. There is a lot of rural areas where it would be quite easy actually.

I could be wrong and it could be someone else, but considering the circumstances I am still leaning towards this being her.

Prayers and healing for the loved ones of whomever this is.

Last night I saw a family picture (am I allowed to post that picture from Katrina's FB?) and it looks like Katrina was a little taller then Todd, he also seems to be kind of thin.

I would assume if there was an argument over something that led to a fight that Katrina would fight back, and one would expect scratches on Todd's face, arms or elsewhere. For sure LE looked into that, and that not being the case or Todd would have been arrested by now. IMO

I considered this also... and then realized a bullet leaves no scratches. JMO

interesting ... I hope they will be able to determine how long the body has actually been in the water.

Byron, but it's two lane and narrow. Kishwaukie street, not road, just north of the airport, but here's a Ups hub with traffic at all hours right there. Bridge over the kishwaukee river on kishwaukee road, right next to junction with the Rock River, little traffic, usually people parked by the side at all hours of the night. The best place(creepiest to dump a body) I always thought was the boat launch just south of where route 2 splits off from south main on the island in the middle of the Rock. Secluded and private.

BBM well I sure hope a visit has been made to this location.

I have been reading here at WS for ten years. Danielle Van Dam's case brought me here and Laci Peterson's case kept me here. I've never felt like I had much to contribute so I never joined. That was until I saw my little town of Byron pop up on here. That was a weird feeling. I've read so many cases over 10 years but never this close to home. I heard the sirens go out yesterday. I know these police and firemen personally. All the places being mentioned here...locations being sleuthed..its my backyard...it is all surreal.

Katrina went to our church. I didn't know her personally but I know many who do. The devastation has taken its toll on her family. They have been in my constant prayers. I was just in Rockford tonight and seeing her beautiful face on the billboards was hard. Again surreal.

I don't know if this will mean anything to anyone else but I wanted to share it. Thursday I was driving down Rt 2 where the body was found. I noticed an unusual abundance of geese sitting on the river in one spot. Then I saw a whole bunch of pure white birds pickup amid the geese and fly into the air but not flying away. They stayed there. It was so beautiful. Now geese aren't uncommon but these white birds were. It stood out to me. Now I know this is the exact location where the body was found. I can't help but wonder if it was a little divine intervention this body was found. Think about it. It was an off duty fireman who found her. Being they see horrific things like this he would have known what he was seeing. Would anybody else have? I could be wrong on that but it just seemed like divine intervention to me.

As to the idea the body was dumped in river here not in MP...I have been thinking this was a possibility since they found the wallet on South Main. If the horrible person who did this was just pitching things out the window on the way to the river...South Main is how you get to Byron. And there is a common misconception that we are "the boonies". So if someone was thinking that heading here could make some sense. (In this senseless situation) Rt 2 is a long, dark stretch of road with plenty of places to stop where no one would think anything of a car on side of road. It's very common.

Well I hope none of that was considered rambling. It's my first post here and I feel very intimidated by so many great minds that I know are here. So I hope I did ok. :) If I can offer any insight on the Byron area I'll do my best to help. I also grew up in Rockford. I have family and friends there and in the Parks (slang for Machesney and Loves Park).

My prayers are with Katrina and her family.

Welcome to Websleuths, MKS .... it's about time you came out of the shadows! 10 years!

Thanks for your insight!

I have been reading here at WS for ten years. Danielle Van Dam's case brought me here and Laci Peterson's case kept me here. I've never felt like I had much to contribute so I never joined. That was until I saw my little town of Byron pop up on here. That was a weird feeling. I've read so many cases over 10 years but never this close to home. I heard the sirens go out yesterday. I know these police and firemen personally. All the places being mentioned here...locations being sleuthed..its my backyard...it is all surreal.

Katrina went to our church. I didn't know her personally but I know many who do. The devastation has taken its toll on her family. They have been in my constant prayers. I was just in Rockford tonight and seeing her beautiful face on the billboards was hard. Again surreal.

I don't know if this will mean anything to anyone else but I wanted to share it. Thursday I was driving down Rt 2 where the body was found. I noticed an unusual abundance of geese sitting on the river in one spot. Then I saw a whole bunch of pure white birds pickup amid the geese and fly into the air but not flying away. They stayed there. It was so beautiful. Now geese aren't uncommon but these white birds were. It stood out to me. Now I know this is the exact location where the body was found. I can't help but wonder if it was a little divine intervention this body was found. Think about it. It was an off duty fireman who found her. Being they see horrific things like this he would have known what he was seeing. Would anybody else have? I could be wrong on that but it just seemed like divine intervention to me.

As to the idea the body was dumped in river here not in MP...I have been thinking this was a possibility since they found the wallet on South Main. If the horrible person who did this was just pitching things out the window on the way to the river...South Main is how you get to Byron. And there is a common misconception that we are "the boonies". So if someone was thinking that heading here could make some sense. (In this senseless situation) Rt 2 is a long, dark stretch of road with plenty of places to stop where no one would think anything of a car on side of road. It's very common.

Well I hope none of that was considered rambling. It's my first post here and I feel very intimidated by so many great minds that I know are here. So I hope I did ok. :) If I can offer any insight on the Byron area I'll do my best to help. I also grew up in Rockford. I have family and friends there and in the Parks (slang for Machesney and Loves Park).

My prayers are with Katrina and her family.

MKS, Great first post!! So glad you decided to join after so many years lurking. I see a great future for you here at WS!
:welcome6:

[I have been thinking this was a possibility since they found the wallet on South Main. If the horrible person who did this was just pitching things out the window on the way to the river...South Main is how you get to Byron. And there is a common misconception that we are "the boonies". So if someone was thinking that heading here could make some sense. (In this senseless situation) Rt 2 is a long, dark stretch of road with plenty of places to stop where no one would think anything of a car on side of road. It's very common.]

And IDOT made it easier this year withe constrution that added turning lanes and turn-offs on the river.

Are there any surveillance cameras anywhere near where her car was found?

Unfortunately, I am thinking that the body found is her. =( If so, who did it?

Hopefully LE has an idea and is watching someone closely!

Are there any surveillance cameras anywhere near where her car was found?

Unfortunately, I am thinking that the body found is her. =( If so, who did it?

Hopefully LE has an idea and is watching someone closely!

There is an elementary school nearby, and a new set of traffic lights (within the past couple of years). If there are camera's on either her vehicle might have been captured while enroute to where it was found, or a get away vehicle after the fact. But nothing could have been captured from where the car itself was. (hope that made sense...not had my second cup of coffee yet)

There is an elementary school nearby, and a new set of traffic lights (within the past couple of years). If there are camera's on either her vehicle might have been captured while enroute to where it was found, or a get away vehicle after the fact. But nothing could have been captured from where the car itself was. (hope that made sense...not had my second cup of coffee yet)

Thanks Luna. Can you describe where it was found in more detail for me? Is it in a business area or residential?

:) Mmm, coffee! I'm on my first cafe con leche!

Thanks Luna. Can you describe where it was found in more detail for me? Is it in a business area or residential?

:) Mmm, coffee! I'm on my first cafe con leche!

I would describe is as a residential area that borders upon a rural area. Just off a fairly busy 2 lane rural road that leads into a shopping district in one direction, and the "county" in the other.

@MKS, thank you for your insightful first post! About time you joined here :)

This kind of insider posts help greatly to understand the circumstances a bit better. So thanks again!

I hope we will find out today whether it is Katrina or not. Matching dental records shouldn't take long ...

4h9xjr84kkjspp2py7er3o9cr756atr

http://www.oglecountynews.com/2012/11/09/womans-body-found-in-rock-river-south-of-byron-on-friday-afternoon/axikjwn/

Divers from the Byron Fire Department recovered the body.

"They walked out there. The water is only waist-deep," Harn said.

In case it wasn't posted last night, there is a video at this link which shows different views of the river and the log, where the body was found. The river looks bigger/deeper than I had in mind when people said the river was running low.

http://mystateline.com/fulltext?nxd_id=363732

I started this map yesterday morning just for my own use. It's still a work in progress and may not be accurate. I'm posting it here mainly for input - things that are inaccurate or just plain wrong and maybe things that should be removed for various reasons.
I hope it can be of some use.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=202998600653912919870.0004ce0e82d9dcc9ba3fb

ETA: I already had to fix a big mistake in my disclaimer - oops! See, I need input (and more coffee)! ;)

I started this map yesterday morning just for my own use. It's still a work in progress and may not be accurate. I'm posting it here mainly for input - things that are inaccurate or just plain wrong and maybe things that should be removed for various reasons.
I hope it can be of some use.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=202998600653912919870.0004ce0e82d9dcc9ba3fb

Great job!

It looks like the wallet was thrown away on the way to the body dump. (if the body is Katrina)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member