GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I started this map yesterday morning just for my own use. It's still a work in progress and may not be accurate. I'm posting it here mainly for input - things that are inaccurate or just plain wrong and maybe things that should be removed for various reasons.
I hope it can be of some use.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=202998600653912919870.0004ce0e82d9dcc9ba3fb

ETA: I already had to fix a big mistake in my disclaimer - oops! See, I need input. ;)

Great map! that helps put some things in perspective for those of us not familiar with the area. Thanks so much.

I "virtually" walked down Lane St, between the Family Dollar and the park, the short distance to the river, and lo and behold there is a boat ramp right there. In the google zoom in of the area, some of the images show a dock sticking out into the river. I wonder if that was there at the time of Katrina's disappearance. If so, it would have been an easy, fairly private area to dump a body into the river. (and it's downstream from the dam)

I started this map yesterday morning just for my own use. It's still a work in progress and may not be accurate. I'm posting it here mainly for input - things that are inaccurate or just plain wrong and maybe things that should be removed for various reasons.
I hope it can be of some use.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&msid=202998600653912919870.0004ce0e82d9dcc9ba3fb

ETA: I already had to fix a big mistake in my disclaimer - oops! See, I need input (and more coffee)! ;)

WoW KAE great map, looks good to me but as you said its a work in progress. I now have an idea of the scope of this case.
Thank you much:tyou::tyou:

Great map! that helps put some things in perspective for those of us not familiar with the area. Thanks so much.

I "virtually" walked down Lane St, between the Family Dollar and the park, the short distance to the river, and lo and behold there is a boat ramp right there. In the google zoom in of the area, some of the images show a dock sticking out into the river. I wonder if that was there at the time of Katrina's disappearance. If so, it would have been an easy, fairly private area to dump a body into the river. (and it's downstream from the dam)

BBM

Thank You! Never been there myself either. There are some locals who post here and I'm looking forward to their input.

I'm still up in the air about this one. The husband certainly stands out as a possible suspect, but I'm still on the fence. Wish we knew more!

I have a lot planned for today but I'll try to check in and with will update my map as needed.

"Authorities say that a person could enter the Rock River in Roscoe or Machesney Park and found days later in Ogle County due to the movement water."

Hard to imagine a body put in the Rock River in south Rockford on the 22nd or 23rd of October only makes it down river a couple of miles, or put in near Byron for that matter. My theory is if the body is her it was put in near or dumped over the Ralston Rd bridge in Machesney. The current in the Rock River is very swift. Can't believe someone would hide the body for days or weeks, then dispose of it.

And IDOT made it easier this year withe constrution that added turning lanes and turn-offs on the river.

(Hope I'm doing quote right) Thank you for all the warm welcomes! :seeya:

Yes I would agree scottiemom the road improvements made Rt2 more accessible to parking on side of it. It also made some areas safer for travel finally. Although it is always going to be a dangerous stretch of road unfortunately.

In case it wasn't posted last night, there is a video at this link which shows different views of the river and the log, where the body was found. The river looks bigger/deeper than I had in mind when people said the river was running low.

http://mystateline.com/fulltext?nxd_id=363732

The Rock is a pretty big river. Even with the water as low as it is to someone who doesn't live around here it would look like normal river. For those of us who live by it though we see changes like sections of the islands we don't normally see or banks that would normally be covered. I hope that helps.

MKS- welcome, I don't know how you were able to just lurk for so long. I belonged to a different sleuth page and while googling I found this place. I never went back. lol

The Rock is a pretty big river. Even with the water as low as it is to someone who doesn't live around here it would look like normal river. For those of us who live by it though we see changes like sections of the islands we don't normally see or banks that would normally be covered. I hope that helps.

And with all the snags and sand bars, I don't see how she would have made it to Byron from that far north. At one time, there was a section by the airport that looked like it could be jumped over. The Rock is a wide, very pretty river.

Whitney Martin
I just talked to the Ogle County Coroner's office, they expect to release information within the hour on the woman's body found in the Rock River. Still working on the autopsy.
2 minutes ago

WIFR TV

I'm not a local, but to me it doesn't seem odd that the body made it to Byron. We have no idea how far north the body was put in the water. It could have hung up on something for a long period of time and only recently broke free. So many variables, including this may not even be Katrina.

I'm not a local, but to me it doesn't seem odd that the body made it to Byron. We have no idea how far north the body was put in the water. It could have hung up on something for a long period of time and only recently broke free. So many variables, including this may not even be Katrina.

I don't think anyone else who could fit the description is missing.

I asked on the WIFR page if there would be a presser and they said that they did not think so....

Seeing how she was not reported missing until late the following day, she could have been taken almost anywhere and put into the water.

Seeing how she was not reported missing until late the following day, she could have been taken almost anywhere and put into the water.

How do you know she wasn't reported missing until late the following day? New reports stated that family reported her missing after she did not show up for work.

Do you know what time she was reported missing, or are you mixing up the time her car was found with the time she was reported missing?

please link where the friends new early that she had not went to work...i have not seen that written in msm anywhere? could have missed it, but have only read that the friends found out later that she had not went to work and thats when they thought somthing was wrong...

Per WFIR the coroner expects to release the identity within the hour..(sorry if repeating already posted info)

I don't think anyone else who could fit the description is missing.

Clu, I have been through a few cases where we were just certain the body would be the missing person in question, and it wasn't. I'm not definitively saying this isn't Katrina.

I'm waiting for the announcement from the coroner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
habitsofwaste