GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
LMStyle, we are going to speculate on here. We are WS, thats what we do. Now that he has been arrested, there will be a lot of IMO, MOO, and JMO about motive, and how/when/where the murder actually took place. Just don't let it get to you.

Keep in mind, he has not been convicted yet, nor has he been proven guilty. For all we know right now is that the evidence is circumstantial and since he is the most likely suspect, he is the one detained for it.

I am not saying he is innocent, but none of us know right now, we have not gotten any additional information as to what LE has that directly links him to the crime.

There have been crimes in the past where the most likely suspect is picked up and detained for the crime because media and the people demand someone be brought in only for someone else to be linked to the crime later on.

You and I have talked about this before, and I agree - you are correct. I do feel bad for you in that you are close. (hugs)

I, personally, do not like for the family that they feel they spent all that time searching beside, sitting beside and crying beside at Katrina's visitation and funeral this person that LE and a judge with a vast amount of experience have decided they DO have enough evidence to arrest TS and only TS. (And, I'd feel the same if it was a random in the same sitch.) I HATE that for them. THESE are the things they are thinking about right now, in these grieving, mourning days. I dont want them to think that he is referring to Katrina as his wife either. Its just MHO....but that is what is in my heart....erring on the side of the family and not on the side of the accused. Probably wrong, but it IS how I feel.

Again, Im sorry, LMS, that you are close and hurting over this too.

How old are his daughters? Are they minors? Is their mother around? Does/did mom have custody?

How old are his daughters? Are they minors? Is their mother around? Does/did mom have custody?

The youngest is in highschool, the other two are in college, so they are all within a couple years apart. They had shared custody, but for awhile he and Katrina had primary custody. The youngest will live with her mom (still local) until she goes to college. They will all overcome this, they are strong amazing girls, I just feel terrible for them, so much tragedy that most never have to endure.

A good theory Texas Charm--- But don't you think it would be really stressful for Todd to worry about moving Katrina's body to her car with possibly a neighbor seeing this? Or maybe if a friend or family member was driving up to his house/condo?

Maybe Todd actually killed Katrina early in the evening and waited until maybe 1am to put her in her car and dispose of her because neighbors would likely be in bed and the neighborhood quiet?

Again, we don't have a time of death from the autopsy, so Todd's claim that Katrina left the home around 9pm to run errands could be a lie or just a bunch of "horse hockey"

By the way Happy Holidays to all on Websleuths....
'

The Tetterhall house has an attached garage so removing her from the house wouldn't be a problem

Where are the clothes? The ones that she came to wash? Were they still in the laundry room? Did they make it to the laundry room? Where were they at in the cycle?

I think the most likely scenario - for me - is that she was in the house, maybe laundry room, and a discussion went wrong. Was it about her leaving? Her giving him x number of days to move out?. Maybe he was supposed to be trying to find another place live .. Maybe her time away gave her a new resolve. maybe she didn't back down like she normally did.

Once he struck her .. he just didn't stop. A crime of passion .. loss of control.

He had all night to then figure out what the heck to do. I wonder if he made any calls or stops that night.

I don't think he planned this, or she would have disappeared Stacy Peterson style.

imo

What clothes are you speaking of that she brought to the Tutterhall home to launder?..is this newer info as I'd not previously heard this and find it unlikely that her friends condo in Roscoe had no washer/dryer(but idk maybe it didn't)..anyhow just curious where the laundry info came from?

One of my main reasons for feeling strongly SHE WAS NOT MURDERED IN THE HOME were secured once the detail that she suffered such a heinous beating was released..

Using the above described scenario in quoted post just think about what the logistics of that scenario would produce and mean...ie..a blunt force trauma beating is not a contained crime.. In fact its just the opposite , especially if the theory is that there was no premeditation and therefor the crime scene would be massive..the crime scene would be of a nature that in 24hours one COULD NOT HAVE cleaned, bleached away all evidence..her family, police, detectives, etc would have been in the home shortly thereafter his reporting her missing(and her fam quite likely there in her home before)..either way we are talking a little before or right at 24hours after an extremely uncontained brutal crime scene(which I'll not go into the details of what all would be at play and with blunt force trauma all over the place, nooks and crannies, along with large areas of blood..blood spatter..etc..etc)..

IMO for these multiple reasons I find it unlikely she was murdered in the home..and then his tiny statured self was transporting her body to and through multiple areas, vehicle both in and out, etc..and then a thoroughly cleaned crime scene as well..ALL COMPLETED WITH NO EVIDENCE TO THE "NAKED EYE" less than 24 hours later...keyword is naked eye..to the naked eye there was no sign of the brutal murder..IMO just not likely at all..

But hey, jmo and I could be wrong..especially if we find out that there was infact an area(s) of the home that Todd didn't want or didn't let the family see or go into..or if we were to learn that there were obvious signs that something had taken place with great attempts at cleaning it up... If we learn any of those were in fact the case..then quite obviously they would indicate the home as atleast a part of the actual crime scene..

So, with what we know MOO strongly remains the same..jmo, tho..

But the info re: laundry that Katrina brought to Tetterhall home to wash/dry..where did that info come from?

TIA to anyone who knows:)

I'm purely speculating and would like what anyone's thoughts are. Did this become a brutal crime only because of the divorce or was there more?

Maybe Katrina controlled the financial assets and it sounds like she did. And she had been helping Todd operate his business, gave him a home and also heelped him to pay alimony.

Maybe Todd put Katrina on the spot, he needed a direct, certain answer if she would continue to help him financially. If Katrina had the lions share of the family wealth, Todd, who's a professional financial advisor, likely wanted to know what her plans were for the divorce settlement.

And possibly Katrina did'nt have an answer right then, maybe she wanted to think about it. Maybe she was wishy washy on her response.

If Todd depended on Katrina's financial help to live somewhere, earn a living, etc and now that was possibly in jeopardy, well that's something that would trigger a really explosive, enraged reaction. And add to this equation, she may have told Todd there was no chance for reconciliation. A double shot to his self esteem.

Not putting any blame on Katrina, I'm just thinking out loud. Because this is reality folks.

Alot of couples can handle a divorce. But when one spouse controls the money and puts the other spouse in a dire situtation for living, lifestyle, work, etc, then this can get real ugly, real fast.

If indeed true that she purchased the home PRIOR TO THEIR MARRIAGE(as is stated upthread by Teeny Taurus) then its a cut/dry issue according to Illinois State law posted below per item (6)..
Originally Posted by B4igo2it

DIVORCE LAW: Illinois

Property Distribution:
Since Illinois is an "equitable distribution" state, the marital property shall be divided in an equitable fashion. Equitable does not mean equal, but rather what is fair. The court will encourage the parties to reach a settlement on property and debt issues otherwise the court will declare the property award.

If the parties cannot otherwise agree, the court will equitably divided the marital property. Marital property is defined all property acquired by either spouse subsequent to the marriage, except the following, which is known as "non-marital property": (1) property acquired by gift, legacy or descent; (2) property acquired in exchange for property acquired before the marriage or in exchange for property acquired by gift, legacy or descent; (3) property acquired by a spouse after a judgment of legal separation; (4) property excluded by valid agreement of the parties; (5) any judgment or property obtained by judgment awarded to a spouse from the other spouse; (6) property acquired before the marriage; (7) the increase in value of property; (8) income from property acquired. <snipped>

http://www.divorcesource.com/ds/illi...laws-674.shtml

On the day of his arrest, I am 99% certain I read on a legitimate news site (WIFR? RRSTAR?), a quote from LE that they believed that Katrina was killed in her home and then her body was transported in her own car to the river. Long weekend, now I am searching everywhere and cannot find that detail in the news stories.

Did anyone else see that detail originally? Is it possible it was removed, or am I losing my mind?

I had been under the impression for the last 4 days that she was in fact killed in her own home, according to LE.

This must be where I read it ...

http://www.onrockfordnews.com/2012/11/24/murder-suspect-todd-smith-appears-in-court/

It is believed Katrina went to the couple’s home Oct. 22 to do laundry. According to reports and surveillance footage from at least one Machesney Park store, she was shopping from approximately 6 to 8 p.m. She returned to the house to finish washing her clothes.

What clothes are you speaking of that she brought to the Tutterhall home to launder?..is this newer info as I'd not previously heard this and find it unlikely that her friends condo in Roscoe had no washer/dryer(but idk maybe it didn't)..anyhow just curious where the laundry info came from?

One of my main reasons for feeling strongly SHE WAS NOT MURDERED IN THE HOME were secured once the detail that she suffered such a heinous beating was released..

Using the above described scenario in quoted post just think about what the logistics of that scenario would produce and mean...ie..a blunt force trauma beating is not a contained crime.. In fact its just the opposite , especially if the theory is that there was no premeditation and therefor the crime scene would be massive..the crime scene would be of a nature that in 24hours one COULD NOT HAVE cleaned, bleached away all evidence..her family, police, detectives, etc would have been in the home shortly thereafter his reporting her missing(and her fam quite likely there in her home before)..either way we are talking a little before or right at 24hours after an extremely uncontained brutal crime scene(which I'll not go into the details of what all would be at play and with blunt force trauma all over the place, nooks and crannies, along with large areas of blood..blood spatter..etc..etc)..

IMO for these multiple reasons I find it unlikely she was murdered in the home..and then his tiny statured self was transporting her body to and through multiple areas, vehicle both in and out, etc..and then a thoroughly cleaned crime scene as well..ALL COMPLETED WITH NO EVIDENCE TO THE "NAKED EYE" less than 24 hours later...keyword is naked eye..to the naked eye there was no sign of the brutal murder..IMO just not likely at all..

But hey, jmo and I could be wrong..especially if we find out that there was infact an area(s) of the home that Todd didn't want or didn't let the family see or go into..or if we were to learn that there were obvious signs that something had taken place with great attempts at cleaning it up... If we learn any of those were in fact the case..then quite obviously they would indicate the home as atleast a part of the actual crime scene..

So, with what we know MOO strongly remains the same..jmo, tho..

But the info re: laundry that Katrina brought to Tetterhall home to wash/dry..where did that info come from?

TIA to anyone who knows:)

Iberico ... I think that was stated in the article I posted above ...

On the day of his arrest, I am 99% certain I read on a legitimate news site (WIFR? RRSTAR?), a quote from LE that they believed that Katrina was killed in her home and then her body was transported in her own car to the river. Long weekend, now I am searching everywhere and cannot find that detail in the news stories.

Did anyone else see that detail originally? Is it possible it was removed, or am I losing my mind?

I had been under the impression for the last 4 days that she was in fact killed in her own home, according to LE.

This must be where I read it ...

http://www.onrockfordnews.com/2012/11/24/murder-suspect-todd-smith-appears-in-court/

It is believed Katrina went to the couple’s home Oct. 22 to do laundry. According to reports and surveillance footage from at least one Machesney Park store, she was shopping from approximately 6 to 8 p.m. She returned to the house to finish washing her clothes.

Thanks, darling....hmmm..sounds weird but I'm guessing that's because its out of context..in that I'll have to read up to see if it discussed the prior to going shopping part of the night... I was unaware that she had been there at the home doing laundry..then went out shopping..then returned to Todds to finish her laundry..off to go read up..

Thanks again for the info and link..

Aha! That is where I read that they believe she was killed in her home. Thanks!

Yep..iberico you're correct it does state its believed she was killed in the home and placed in the trunk..

Hmmm.wonder if they've gotten copies of any of the warrants(ie.arrest warrant) due to the fact le hasn't publicly stated such makes me believe media has seen the arrezt warrant to get this info..

Wish they'd link to a pdf of actual warrant as they do for most Cases..

Well I've definitely underestimated this little man's strength.. His tiny self not only transported her body out of the home..but then into the trunk of her car..and then back out of the trunk of her car..and then across a river bank and into the river..

Along with the fact that he disposed of her car, quite likely his own clothes, along with murder weapon, etc, and then went back to the home and cleaned an entire blunt force beating death crime scene...ALL UNDER 24 HOURS!

SORRY BUT I AM SHOCKED!

http://www.wifr.com/news/headlines/Breaking-Down-the-Charges-180905931.html

Katrina Smith Beaten to Death
Today we finally got a copy of the complaint filed against Todd Smith and while the documents don't give a lot of information, they do confirm prosecutors think she was intentionally beaten to death and her husband was the one who dumped her body in the Rock River.
Prosecutors say the crime was brutal and heinous and they will try to prove to a jury that Smith should get extra time in prison.
If he's convicted of regular first degree murder, he faces 20 to 60 years in prison. If they can prove the murder was evil, cruel, and cold-blooded...he can get up to 100 years in prison.

more at link....this is dated today...

I will say this for the record..

If its indeed FACT that Katrina was brutally murdered in the Tetterhall home..and IMO I'm definitely leaning toward it being FACT due to this information IMO was stated on Todd's arrest warrant or charging documents.. In fact I'd bet money that this is where that specific detailed information came from..which if not released already will be released within days for any/all to read the official warrants and charging documents..

Therefor if Todd Smith has been charged for the brutal murder of his wife Katrina THAT OCCURRED IN THE TETTERHALL HOME..well..IMO that relieves any doubt whatsoever that he is possibly NOT RESPONSIBLE..

Because with the murder occurring in the home It now takes away the possibility of Katrina being murdered by anyone OTHER THAN TODD.. SHE WAS MURDERED BRUTALLY IN HIS HOME..for him to be innocent of the charges that would mean that someone came into the HOME WITHOUT TODD'S KNOWLEDGE, MURDERED HIS WIFE IN AN EXTREMELY BRUTAL WAY, AND THEN THOROUGHLY CLEANED THE HORRENDOUS CRIME SCENE, AND REMOVED HER BODY...ALL WITHOUT TODD'S KNOWLEDGE..

I THINK WE REALIZE THAT'S JUST NOT EVEN REMOTELY A POSSIBILITY..

With It determined that Katrina was murdered in the home IMO this permanently removes all doubt about Todd possibly not being responsible..IMO it points to Todd and only Todd(or Todd + accomplice) as responsible with there being no leeway whatsoever for his NOT KNOWING..
**and yes, Texas Charm I agree it does again open the door of possibility on help at some point..

I'm sorry but this headline alone proves to me IT IS BRUTAL and HEINOUS!..it hurts my heart..

Katrina Smith Beaten to Death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members