GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I can find th eaccurate link I will submit it, but was reading several reports of Todd Smith's background intel and discovered:

- At 17 he poured a tank of gas inside his family's home with the family inside it, lit it, and fortunately no one was injured. He had a hissy fit, childish, because he was getting back at his mother. He was given 30 months.

- His retirement planning business was being investigated by the Illinois state attorney general for suspected fraudulent activities, but nothing proven as of yet.

So folks What's the Motive ?

Did Katrina know about possible fraudulent records of Todd's business and she going to make it known during the divorce as reasons for the divorce.

Did Katrina recently discover Todd's past arson conviction, setting fire to his parent's home with the entire family inside sleeping and possibly if they were proceeding with a divorce, Katrina could get custody of the children as the more "fit" parent?

Was Katrina dating openly and this became a jealous spouse crime of passion?

Eliminating Katrina would remove the divorce issues, possibly also any prior intel she knew about fraudulent activities of Todd's business.

Maybe Todd had life insurance on Katrina? This could be funds enough to pay any possible restitution back to his investors/clients?

And maybe Katrina had life insurance through her employer and Todd was the beneficiary?

Almost everything you have asked here has already been addressed or answered in this thread and the #1 thread for Katrina. If you browse through it you will find all the information. All the questions about the insurance/investment business or life insurance policies are not a factor in this case.

The same goes with the fire as it has been discussed to extreme lengths with some very good locals information who lived near them or knew them at the time.

As far as motive, the only thing is the divorce/leaving him.

If I can find th eaccurate link I will submit it, but was reading several reports of Todd Smith's background intel and discovered:

- At 17 he poured a tank of gas inside his family's home with the family inside it, lit it, and fortunately no one was injured. He had a hissy fit, childish, because he was getting back at his mother. He was given 30 months.

- His retirement planning business was being investigated by the Illinois state attorney general for suspected fraudulent activities, but nothing proven as of yet.

Did Katrina know about possible fraudulent records of Todd's business and she going to make it known during the divorce as reasons for the divorce.

Did Katrina recently discover Todd's past arson conviction, setting fire to his parent's home with the entire family inside sleeping and possibly if they were proceeding with a divorce, Katrina could get custody of the children as the more "fit" parent?

Eliminating Katrina would remove the divorce issues, possibly also any prior intel she knew about fraudulent activities of Todd's business.

Maybe Todd had life insurance on Katrina? This could be funds enough to pay any possible restitution back to his investors/clients?

And maybe Katrina had life insurance through her employer and Todd was the beneficiary?

Actually what he did was uncap the gas leaving it to fill the house until it exploded...I grew up near that area and remember that house exploding

I do recall neighbors saying LE removed quite a bit of evidence from the Tetterhall address..my mail route borders it and they had two crime scene vans there that day as well as another police car...LE has been very tight-lipped about this whole case

The only thing that makes me wonder is where the body was dumped....from the Latham Street bridge which is near where the car was parked to the place she was found has a great deal of river front property...and no one saw her body floating? Also there's a heavily used bike/walking path along the Rock River...it runs several miles...no one saw the body?

Lastly here are the news websites for this area...don't know if they were previously posted
wifr.com
wrex.com
mystateline.com
rrstar.com

Almost everything you have asked here has already been addressed or answered in this thread and the #1 thread for Katrina. If you browse through it you will find all the information. All the questions about the insurance/investment business or life insurance policies are not a factor in this case.

The same goes with the fire as it has been discussed to extreme lengths with some very good locals information who lived near them or knew them at the time.

As far as motive, the only thing is the divorce/leaving him.

So you are saying that money has absolutely no bearing on this case? How are you able to say this with certainty?

So you are saying that money has absolutely no bearing on this case? How are you able to say this with certainty?

Well all the documents filed with the court in Chicago and Virginia regarding the investment fraud are available for review online and have been posted in this thread and discussed heavily. The head of that whole scam has already been convicted and sentenced to prison. The others have been cited and penalized for their involvement based on their level of involvement and money handling. Todd in this case was at the bottom of the totem pole.

That is why it was absurd when there were people posting with rumors about him moving money around and that it seemed like he was gathering his millions from the scam in preparations to run.

It would seem the only financial gain he had was the house, any life insurance and such from Katrina...that should be all null and void now.

Since the house was in her name, I would say there WAS money involved.

If she divorced him, and the house was in her name only, she could have kicked him out. JMO

I wonder if the house was bought by her or put in her name later..like when the financial downfall of his scheme?

Unfortunately, husbands kill wives and vice versa for a variety of reasons, mostly anger ("crime of passion") which is probably what happened here. Katrina must have felt comfortable to go to her house to do laundry after she physically separated from Todd. Jealousy is a big motivator, especially if Katrina was already seeing someone new, and Todd found out (or she told him). Todd sounds like a volatile personality and someone who lost control when he didn't get his way. All IMHO, but it's a story as old as relationships have existed.

I hope Todd mans up and admits his actions so a trial isn't necessary to drag on for his daughters and Katrina's family. With appeals, it could take years.

RIP, Katrina.

I wonder if the house was bought by her or put in her name later..like when the financial downfall of his scheme?

http://treasurer.wincoil.us/TaxRecord.aspx?PIN=08-30-453-003

Just type in the allowable years and you will see the trail of taxes on the house. She purchased the house before they were married. Also, those taxes remained in her maiden name even tho her married name was used for billing after she married. The deed is also in a lockbox. Todd Smith did not own that house. While property issues in a divorce can be complicated, it's quite possible he would have gotten ZIP if she owned that house prior to marriage and did not add him to the deed, etc.

http://treasurer.wincoil.us/TaxRecord.aspx?PIN=08-30-453-003

Just type in the allowable years and you will see the trail of taxes on the house. She purchased the house before they were married. Also, those taxes remained in her maiden name even tho her married name was used for billing after she married. The deed is also in a lockbox. Todd Smith did not own that house. While property issues in a divorce can be complicated, it's quite possible he would have gotten ZIP if she owned that house prior to marriage and did not add him to the deed, etc.

wow. So it seems odd that he was still living there, and she was 'house sitting' at a friend's condo. Makes me wonder if she asked him to plan on moving out in the future, and if she might have told him she was seeing someone else.

You asked what's the motive. Maybe he's just a sociopath. We've seen this time and time again. A criminal is "reformed" and then they commit more crimes. :jail:

We would need an Illinois divorce lawyer in here to tell us the specifics, but I am almost certain that Illinois is one of those old states where once you are married all the assets are combined regardless of what name they are under or when they were purchased.

Unless there was a prenuptial agreement all assets and debts would be divided equally unless both parties agreed to accepting all or part of different portions. Say there was a $25,000 credit card debt that was run up by the wife, the husband would be liable for half of it in a divorce unless the wife spoke up and said the debt belongs to me, I will accept responsibility for all of it. (This I have firsthand knowledge of as I know of a couple in Illinois where this was the situation). They then each took their own cars, divided up the house and remaining assets evenly for the most part.

In regards to this situation it would have worked exactly the same if ownership was the other way around, say TS bought the house before they were married, she would be entitled to half of the proceeds from the sale or value of the house upon divorce. Once again I know this first hand from another couple where each had their own residences, purchased before marriage, each was entitled to half of each home, regardless of values unless both parties agreed to taking their respective homes, etc.

Motive: somebody has to pay for the girls to go to college ... 2 in, 1 more to go. :waitasec:
As talented as they are, I would assume scholarships help out - but there are living expenses, clothing, extracurricular activities, transportation/automobiles, ... JMO

I would think Katrina would be happy to assist with expenses - but that terrible thing called "pride" may get in the way. JMO

would love to see last couple years of tax returns - including 2012 :what:

What Is The Illinois Spousal Continuation Coverage Law?

The Illinois Spousal Continuation Law protects a covered spouse and dependent children who lose group health insurance coverage due to death or retirement of the employee or divorce from the employee.

http://insurance.illinois.gov/HealthInsurance/continueSpouse.asp

(Unk if relates to Todd & Family; for info purposes only)
NOTE: Todd is well-versed in insurance law

DIVORCE LAW: Illinois

Property Distribution:
Since Illinois is an "equitable distribution" state, the marital property shall be divided in an equitable fashion. Equitable does not mean equal, but rather what is fair. The court will encourage the parties to reach a settlement on property and debt issues otherwise the court will declare the property award.

If the parties cannot otherwise agree, the court will equitably divided the marital property. Marital property is defined all property acquired by either spouse subsequent to the marriage, except the following, which is known as "non-marital property": (1) property acquired by gift, legacy or descent; (2) property acquired in exchange for property acquired before the marriage or in exchange for property acquired by gift, legacy or descent; (3) property acquired by a spouse after a judgment of legal separation; (4) property excluded by valid agreement of the parties; (5) any judgment or property obtained by judgment awarded to a spouse from the other spouse; (6) property acquired before the marriage; (7) the increase in value of property; (8) income from property acquired.

The court shall divide the marital property without regard to marital misconduct in just proportions considering all relevant factors, including: (1) the contribution of each party to the acquisition, preservation, or increase or decrease in value of the marital or non-marital property, including the contribution of a spouse as a homemaker or to the family unit; (2) the dissipation by each party of the marital or non-marital property; (3) the value of the property assigned to each spouse; (4) the duration of the marriage; (5) the relevant economic circumstances of each spouse when the division of property is to become effective, including the desirability of awarding the family home, or the right to live therein for reasonable periods, to the spouse having custody of the children; (6) any obligations and rights arising from a prior marriage of either party; (7) any antenuptial agreement of the parties; (8) the age, health, station, occupation, amount and sources of income, vocational skills, employability, estate, liabilities, and needs of each of the parties; (9) the custodial provisions for any children; (10) whether the apportionment is in lieu of or in addition to maintenance; (11) the reasonable opportunity of each spouse for future acquisition of capital assets and income; and (12) the tax consequences of the property division upon the respective economic circumstances of the parties. (750 Illinois Compiled Statutes - Chapter 5 - Sections: 503)

http://www.divorcesource.com/ds/illinois/illinois-divorce-laws-674.shtml

If I'm reading this right then Todd would not have claim to the house in a divorce as she bought it before but would in the event of her death. Does he forfeit that right now? I'd thinks so.

Katrina may have a will, since she is a real property owner. If not, then her estate is considered intestate and would be distributed to her siblings.

She bought the house at a young age -- it could have been inherited (the house or the money to buy it) or because of Todd's probable sketchy credit they may have decided to put the house in her maiden name to keep it from being a "pawn" in his legal proceedings or he couldn't qualify for the loan.

No matter, at this point, i am sure Todd has lost his spousal ownership rights. MOO.

:waitasec:

Did Katrina Nalevac inherit 8239 Tetterhall Ln in court probate records of Ida E. Kelley 2004-P-00000-89 ?? I found her name in the probate records a few days ago and don't remember how I found it ?? Katrina paid the 2004 tax bill.

http://www.illinois17th.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=222&Itemid=105

Posted by Teeny Taurus Today 01:10 AM

http://treasurer.wincoil.us/TaxRecor...=08-30-453-003
BBM

DIVORCE LAW: Illinois

Property Distribution:
Since Illinois is an "equitable distribution" state, the marital property shall be divided in an equitable fashion. Equitable does not mean equal, but rather what is fair. The court will encourage the parties to reach a settlement on property and debt issues otherwise the court will declare the property award.

If the parties cannot otherwise agree, the court will equitably divided the marital property. Marital property is defined all property acquired by either spouse subsequent to the marriage, except the following, which is known as "non-marital property": (1) property acquired by gift, legacy or descent; (2) property acquired in exchange for property acquired before the marriage or in exchange for property acquired by gift, legacy or descent; (3) property acquired by a spouse after a judgment of legal separation; (4) property excluded by valid agreement of the parties; (5) any judgment or property obtained by judgment awarded to a spouse from the other spouse; (6) property acquired before the marriage; (7) the increase in value of property; (8) income from property acquired. <snipped>

http://www.divorcesource.com/ds/illinois/illinois-divorce-laws-674.shtml

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member