GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
According to Vinelink this morning (for me!), Todd Smith is "out of custody" and "bonded out".

According to Vinelink this morning (for me!), Todd Smith is "out of custody" and "bonded out".

I believe that is the wrong Todd C Smith, as that case has DOB of 07/14/1975, Age 37, AND bonded out on 11/15/2012.
The Todd Smith in this case is, I believe, 44, and, well... can't post bond BEFORE he's arrested. Talk about yer "insurance fraud" if so! <lol>

hopefully this link will take one to my info w/o having to do a search as I did. Oh, and this "Todd Smith" was the only one said search resulted in, as well...

https://www.vinelink.com/vinelink/d...14004&agency=31&id=112698&searchType=offender

Ok first time posting...I live in the village where this happened...to add to this it was reported things were found in Rock Cut State Park...shovel, gloves, shirt so it's possible he buried the stuff or disposed of it...also that his vehicle was spotted leaving the park around the time she was reported missing...

Could he possibly have originally planned to bury her in the park? Makes more sense to do that with the probability body is never found. Perhaps he began the process and quickly realized that too much effort was required to finish. Or was spooked by someone driving in the park. Next thing that pops in his mind is the river and knowing that her body would eventually be found he stages it to look like an abduction and/or robbery.

LMStyle, are you ok? I see your green light is on. I imagine this has been difficult news. You seem like a very goodhearted and thoughtful person. If I'm ever under suspicion in the court of public opinion, I want someone like you on my side!

I believe that is the wrong Todd C Smith, as that case has DOB of 07/14/1975, Age 37, AND bonded out on 11/15/2012.
The Todd Smith in this case is, I believe, 44, and, well... can't post bond BEFORE he's arrested. Talk about yer "insurance fraud" if so! <lol>

hopefully this link will take one to my info w/o having to do a search as I did. Oh, and this "Todd Smith" was the only one said search resulted in, as well...

https://www.vinelink.com/vinelink/d...14004&agency=31&id=112698&searchType=offender

I didn't look at the date cos I was rushing to get to work (plus I get confused with the dates being backwards!). I did think the authority was wrong.

However I'm only seeing one Todd C Smith "statewide" so I must be searching wrong!

My heart goes out to everyone effected by this case. So sad, indeed.

Could he possibly have originally planned to bury her in the park? Makes more sense to do that with the probability body is never found. Perhaps he began the process and quickly realized that too much effort was required to finish. Or was spooked by someone driving in the park. Next thing that pops in his mind is the river and knowing that her body would eventually be found he stages it to look like an abduction and/or robbery.

It's very possible, Rock Cut is a well used park. It's huge and has trails everywhere. I was at one of the searches of the park and had people running through as we searched.

The place where her car was found is very close to the Latham Street Bridge. Even walking it would take maybe 5 minutes to get there. Obispo is the first street off Ralston Rd on Ventura and maybe 5-6 houses from the corner. The other side of Ventura from the corner of Obispo is river front property. I work at the local post office and the carrier on that route saw her car that afternoon but didn't think much of it as it's a place people wait for the school buses.

LMStyle, are you ok? I see your green light is on. I imagine this has been difficult news. You seem like a very goodhearted and thoughtful person. If I'm ever under suspicion in the court of public opinion, I want someone like you on my side!

Thank you for the kind words. My heart just hurts for Katrina. There has to be nothing worse than to be the victim of someone you loved. I also feel terrible for Chad, Miraynda the rest of Katrina's family and the daughters and their family. The brother's interview after the arrest definitely inspired me and hopefully others will take note.

Thanks again for your kind words and concern and I hope you and the rest of the wonderful WS people have a joyous and special Thanksgiving.

I hate that it is him. Sad and mad. And glad LE has a case, hope it is a strong one and he rots in prison forever.

She was a bright light.

I have updated the case archive.

-- 115 pounds does seem almost anorexic for a grown man of 5'6". Perhaps in the last month he has dropped a few pounds from stress? He could have been 125-130 at the time of the murder.

--I live in Illinois and keep track of most of the murders. $1 million is considered a pretty high bail, reserved for brutal 1st degree murderers. I've even seen murders set at $500,000. $4 million bail is pretty rare. (Drew Peterson got $20 mil bail, only because he was loathed by all LE and all of society.) They must consider TS a flight risk with access to money.

--Even though it makes me ill that he was able to attend her funeral, it seems clear now the LE was taking that time to build a rock solid case against him, and upping the charges to the maximum amount to ensure life in prison. So relieved, but so sad for his daughters.

Your jails must be mighty crowded in this economy. :what:

here is how illinois is dealing with the overcrowding....

http://thejha.org/sb2621

As of May 2012, Illinois housed more than 48,000 inmates in a prison system designed for about 34,000. While almost every facility struggles with its population, the worst crowding is in the state's minimum and medium security prisons, which house mostly low-level offenders. This kind of crowding endangers not only inmates, but also the thousands of staff that work in the state's correctional institutions.

SB 2621 will address these problems by authorizing the Illinois Department of Corrections (DOC) to award up to 180 days of Sentence Credits to low-level offenders for completing educational programs, taking part in community service, or demonstrating good behavior. This is a standard tool that prison systems across the country use to control behavior and encourage participation in programs that reduce recidivism.

http://www.pjstar.com/free/x1222857775/Quinn-State-can-release-prisoners-early

this is what was happening before the new bill:

Anyone getting early release must be nonviolent, display good behavior and serve at least 60 days in the Corrections Department. That's how releases were supposed to be handled in the past, but in 2009, The Associated Press revealed that the department had released inmates just weeks or even days after their arrival.

Some violent offenders were set free under the program named MGT Push, a reference to speeding up the process of granting "meritorious good time" to inmates. The Democratic governor denied knowing about MGT Push, called it a "big mistake" and shut it down in 2009 - along with all other early releases.

Since then, the absence of early release has contributed to severe overcrowding at state prisons, which are 14,000 inmates above normal capacity.

Thank you for the kind words. My heart just hurts for Katrina. There has to be nothing worse than to be the victim of someone you loved. I also feel terrible for Chad, Miraynda the rest of Katrina's family and the daughters and their family. The brother's interview after the arrest definitely inspired me and hopefully others will take note.

Thanks again for your kind words and concern and I hope you and the rest of the wonderful WS people have a joyous and special Thanksgiving.

I liked the way you stood up for what you thought was right
:grouphug:

I am thankful that TS is spending his first full day in jail today.

I am thankful that, although her family had to share Katrina's funeral with her killer, that they don't have to spend their first holidays without her in the company of her killer.

I am thankful that LE was very quiet, worked steadily, and was able to make an arrest so quickly.

I am thankful for the example that Katrina's family continues to be .... extremely classy folks, imo.

I am so soooo sooooooo sorry for TS's girls. While I'm sure their mother has a variety of emotions (can you imagine?) .. I hope she is able to give those girls the love and support they will need.

It's a broad path of destruction ... the path that leads one to take the life of another ...

Love your families on this Thanksgiving Day.

Wow I just don't get why in the world they would not implement the use of bail bondsmen?.. That alone would reduce greatly a large percent of the at the very least lower level crime inmates that are forced to sit incarcerated while awaiting trial..

What is their issue with bail bondsmen? Anyone know what their reasoning is?..yet they allow the MGT push which was releasing even violent offenders within mere days of their sentence.. I just don't get the aversion to bail bondsmen?

Just another very local delurking here. I live about 5 miles from where Katrina's vehicle was located. I don't know the family at all but have been pretty effected by this as have so many in the area. I stumbled on this website during the past month and I must say, I have greatly enjoyed the mature and respectful discussions that I have encountered while lurking. I'm very glad that there has been an arrest in this as I have worried about my family out and about shopping here. But I'm also very sad for Katrina's family that it was someone they all loved and trusted. Hopefully I will be able to add to your conversation in the months ahead as we learn more about this tragic event.

Lampshade....Thank you for posting!

Welcome to Websleuths!
:welcome6:

Ill. Stat. Ch. 725 § 5/110-7, 5/110-8. &#8220;No bail bondsman from any state may seize or transport unwillingly any person found in this State who is allegedly in violation of a bail bond posted in some other state.&#8221; Ill. Stat. Ch. 725 § 5/103-9.
Hmmm..interesting..in just looking around about Illinois no commercial bail bonds laws(therefor including bounty Hunters of any type)..meaning that if anyone wants to escape having "jumped bail/bond" from the likes of someone like Dog The Bounty Hunter all they have to do is flee to Illinois..lol..in Illinois if even proved that they have jumped bail and in fact owe another states bail bondsmen.. Illinois still will not allow the bondsmen to come and get the individual to take back to the state within which they owe a large sum of money for bail..

Strictly moo but just from the tiny bit I've searched and found regarding the only 4 states whose laws do not allow for commercial bail(Illinois, Wisconsin, Kentucky, Oregon) I conclude that the motive IMO is strictly all about the almighty dollar and who makes the almighty dollar.. IMO these 4 states keep all bail/bonds to be paid directly to the courts(ie. The state) therefor keeping all monies for the state rather than commercial bail businesses.. That's the only motive that I see for why the state has an aversion to having commercial bail businesses..as usual it all goes back to the almighty dollar..not surprising of course..

I found this site very early in the search as Katrina was my son's age and I live locally, so I was immediately drawn to her case. I have to say, although I am not related to this case very closely, I am proud to have classy, gracious, solid people like Katrina's family that live in our community. Im also stinkin proud as HECK of how tightlipped our LE was during this whole process. We literally got next to nothing as far as information, NO leaks, nada, zilch. While I was probably more inpatient than most with the slow, tedious wait, I could not be more happy with the way LE handled themselves for this family.

Thank you all here for your intelligent perspectives while giving me and others a place to ask questions and throw out ideas. What a lovely bunch of souls you all are! I wish I had stumbled on to you earlier. Its been a pleasure.

Finally, wishing you all a safe and healthy holiday season. I, for one, will be thinking of Katrina and her whole family during this year's festivities. Ill be one of those you will see on the news holding a "Justice For Katrina" signs at her trial.

Hug your families.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member