GUILTY IL - Katrina Smith, 30, beaten to death, Machesney Park, 23 Oct 2012 - #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you for all the warm welcomes. And I couldn't like cluckcluckcluckcluck's post any more if it came wrapped in hundred dollar bills. Perfect.

Hug your loved ones tight tonight.

Thank you for all the warm welcomes. And I couldn't like cluckcluckcluckcluck's post any more if it came wrapped in hundred dollar bills. Perfect.

Hug your loved ones tight tonight.

:welcome: LampShade! :welcome4:

I am sorry your community Is experiencing this tragic situation...

But I, too, am so impressed with your LE, your community, and Katrina's family!

:seeya:

ETA.... Your avatar is :great:

Just another very local delurking here. I live about 5 miles from where Katrina's vehicle was located. I don't know the family at all but have been pretty effected by this as have so many in the area. I stumbled on this website during the past month and I must say, I have greatly enjoyed the mature and respectful discussions that I have encountered while lurking. I'm very glad that there has been an arrest in this as I have worried about my family out and about shopping here. But I'm also very sad for Katrina's family that it was someone they all loved and trusted. Hopefully I will be able to add to your conversation in the months ahead as we learn more about this tragic event.

I too, am from the area and my Granddaughter knows Katrina's sister. The whole community has been affected by this tragedy and are so inspired by Katrina's family. I love this site, in particular, as you are all so respectfull and operate off of "facts". Continue your great sleuthing.

Thank you for the kind words. My heart just hurts for Katrina. There has to be nothing worse than to be the victim of someone you loved. I also feel terrible for Chad, Miraynda the rest of Katrina's family and the daughters and their family. The brother's interview after the arrest definitely inspired me and hopefully others will take note.

Thanks again for your kind words and concern and I hope you and the rest of the wonderful WS people have a joyous and special Thanksgiving.

This case wore me out so I had to take a few days off from it. Actually checked back in to see how you were doing too.

This case wore me out so I had to take a few days off from it. Actually checked back in to see how you were doing too.

This is what I love about this group. I know that scadder and LMStyle had differing perspectives, but in the end, what we all want is resolution. No matter what "side" we take, in the end we are humans, just searching for love, meaning and caring.

I want to thank everyone on this thread for their dignity and restraint....no matter how our views differed. In the end, we are all just trying to make sense of this crazy world that we live in.

Bless you all. And, more importantly, bless all of the people who have lost a loved one, or known and cared about someone who 'got off track'. Let's all keep making this world a better place.

(no emoticon really fits how I feel right now.)

Thanks Scadder, you and me both, I took a breather as well.

This is what I love about this group. I know that scadder and LMStyle had differing perspectives, but in the end, what we all want is resolution. No matter what "side" we take, in the end we are humans, just searching for love, meaning and caring.

I want to thank everyone on this thread for their dignity and restraint....no matter how our views differed. In the end, we are all just trying to make sense of this crazy world that we live in.

Bless you all. And, more importantly, bless all of the people who have lost a loved one, or known and cared about someone who 'got off track'. Let's all keep making this world a better place.

(no emoticon really fits how I feel right now.)

Well said Snoopster

From a recent link: http://www.wrex.com/story/20163296/...-brother-speaks-out-about-her-husbands-arrest

I hope this case is Iron Clad and this Todd Smith, or whatever name the dude goes by, gets life without parole.

In 2011 The Illinois Govenor Quinn banned the death penalty and thus Illinois is now the 16th US state to do this.

What in the world would be the motive for this degenerate, sicko to do this? Katrina was probably thee best thing to happen to this guy.

Everytime I see in the news these wonderful women, girls get brutalized I want to go to a boxing gym and smack the punching bag about a 1000 times....And then a 1000 more..

Katrina Smith had been missing since late October. Investigators say she was last seen October 22 by Todd Smith, leaving her home to run errands. Her car, cell-phone, and purse turned up in Machesney Park, her wallet in Rockford. Officers searched Katrina and Todd Smith's home, information from that search has not been released. Katrina's body was pulled out of the Rock River near Byron November 9. The Ogle County Coroner said she suffered from blunt force trauma. Two of Todd Smith's four first degree murder counts indicate that there were elements of brutal and heinous behavior. This isn't Smith's first run-in with the law. In 1985 he was convicted of arson when he went by the name Todd Raprager. He was arrested Wednesday afternoon. He was riding in the passenger seat of a vehicle when officers pulled the car over with the purpose of arresting Smith.

"The people we Associate with and the Environment we live in directly affects what kind of people we become....."

i saw the docs from the early 90s -- didnt read very close, iirc it was from raprager to smith...

g12c000000000000000c035f61a81ccd17506878e12c43aa3b8349df0e0.jpg

Brusacto said the counts alledge "brutal and heinous" murder and are punishable by 20 to 100 years in prison.

Deputy Chief Dominic Iasparro said details about the investigation will not be released at this time.

http://www.rrstar.com/news/x1559138002/Katrina-Smiths-husband-charged-with-murder

Illinos Gov Quinn banned the death peenalty in 2011. They're the 16th state do do so...

-- 115 pounds does seem almost anorexic for a grown man of 5'6". Perhaps in the last month he has dropped a few pounds from stress? He could have been 125-130 at the time of the murder.

--I live in Illinois and keep track of most of the murders. $1 million is considered a pretty high bail, reserved for brutal 1st degree murderers. I've even seen murders set at $500,000. $4 million bail is pretty rare. (Drew Peterson got $20 mil bail, only because he was loathed by all LE and all of society.) They must consider TS a flight risk with access to money.

--Even though it makes me ill that he was able to attend her funeral, it seems clear now the LE was taking that time to build a rock solid case against him, and upping the charges to the maximum amount to ensure life in prison. So relieved, but so sad for his daughters.

Bolded by me.
Or someone with a drug or alcohol problem.

http://www.wifr.com/home/headlines/Murder-Suspect-Appears-in-Court-180700411.html

Smith faces 5 charges, including first degree murder and concealing a homicide. He faces up to 100 years in prison for two of the charges. If found guilty, he could also pay a $25,000 fine for each count against him.

Smith did not enter a plea on Saturday but he was appointed a public defender. Smith said his family is trying to hire a lawyer but they aren't sure if they can afford it..

wonder what family is trying to hire a lawyer? no snark intended - im just confused on the family dynamics...i wouldnt think katrinas family would help, his raprager side deff. not helping...so, maybe the daughters? ex-wife maybe???

any locals have any idea???

http://www.wifr.com/home/headlines/Murder-Suspect-Appears-in-Court-180700411.html

Smith faces 5 charges, including first degree murder and concealing a homicide. He faces up to 100 years in prison for two of the charges. If found guilty, he could also pay a $25,000 fine for each count against him.

Smith did not enter a plea on Saturday but he was appointed a public defender. Smith said his family is trying to hire a lawyer but they aren't sure if they can afford it..

wonder what family is trying to hire a lawyer? no snark intended - im just confused on the family dynamics...i wouldnt think katrinas family would help, his raprager side deff. not helping...so, maybe the daughters? ex-wife maybe???

I would think that the Smith family might try to help. It seems that he was closer to the Smith's from the locals that have posted here.

I had not thought about it... but maybe his ex-wife may be helping to get a lawyer for TS...

It probably doesn't help her much financially with an ex/father of children in jail... making no money...

Not trying to be snarky... but am trying to look at it realistically...

JMO

If I can find th eaccurate link I will submit it, but was reading several reports of Todd Smith's background intel and discovered:

- At 17 he poured a tank of gas inside his family's home with the family inside it, lit it, and fortunately no one was injured. He had a hissy fit, childish, because he was getting back at his mother. He was given 30 months.

- His retirement planning business was being investigated by the Illinois state attorney general for suspected fraudulent activities, but nothing proven as of yet.

So folks What's the Motive ?

Did Katrina know about possible fraudulent records of Todd's business and she going to make it known during the divorce as reasons for the divorce.

Did Katrina recently discover Todd's past arson conviction, setting fire to his parent's home with the entire family inside sleeping and possibly if they were proceeding with a divorce, Katrina could get custody of the children as the more "fit" parent?

Was Katrina dating openly and this became a jealous spouse crime of passion?

Eliminating Katrina would remove the divorce issues, possibly also any prior intel she knew about fraudulent activities of Todd's business.

Maybe Todd had life insurance on Katrina? This could be funds enough to pay any possible restitution back to his investors/clients?

And maybe Katrina had life insurance through her employer and Todd was the beneficiary?

IMO from what I undestand the arson background was quite well known about in the community..even with his namechange it appears as tho everyone who knew him or any of his multiple sides of family, step family, or in laws were all aware of the family home arson..

A local will correct me if I'm wrong, but appears as tho some of the community even sympathized with Todd as being the fall guy or a patsy for the arson(In no way shape, or form do I personally believe that a 17yr old angry at his family, with open discord, and issues with his relationships with immediate family..no way he would have taken the fall for a crime he didn't commit).. IMO Todd, and Todd alone was responsible for the explosive fire that he had every intention of killing his parents and 12yr old brother who were all asleep inside the home when it exploded..Todd's written confession can be read that he gave when pleading guilty to the arson..just like IMO Todd, and Todd alone is responsible for Katrina's brutal death...

As far as the three daughters they are actually Todd's from his previous marriage so they were technically Katrina's step daughters.. But from what I understand this was no matter in that both the girls and Katrina adored and loved one another and I'm certain these young girls are grieving a pain that IMO is unimaginable and indescribable beyond words especially in their dad's having now been arrested for the brutal murder of Katrina..

All in all for me personally I doubt that anything will ever make any sense as to what in his delusional mind could possibly motivate him to the point of Murder(as the motivators in these crimes of course can never make sense to a rational mind)..but IMO its likely to be a plethora of reasons that led him to this act..with any one of those being the straw that broke the camels back..

In learning that her death was such an up close and personal, hands on, likely extended death(rather than quick, immediate, and somewhat removed such as gunshot)..this was an especially heinous, very angry, brutality that was inflicted on Katrina and most likely was excruciating in every way imaginable... Its those reasons that really cause me great angst and deep sorrow for what Katrina suffered..and make me question what action or behavior in his mind could he possibly believe warranted such a brutal, horrendous death that he bestowed upon her as punishment?

what could possibly be the motivator that would lead a husband to unleash such depravity on a woman who at one time he supposedly loved and wanted to share the rest of his life with??..of that I just will never be able to make any sense whatsoever of..poor Katrina..may her soul now and forevermore rest in peace..

Smith faces four counts of first-degree murder and one count of concealing a homicide. He could spend up to 100 years in prison if convicted.

Investigators allege Smith killed Katrina Smith, 30, the evening of Oct. 22. It is believed Katrina Smith’s body was placed in the trunk of her Chevrolet Cruze and transported to the Rock River, where it was discovered nearly three weeks later.

Several sources confirmed that Katrina had moved out of the home she shared with Todd at 8239 Tetterhall Lane and reportedly began seeing another man.

It is believed Katrina went to the couple’s home Oct. 22 to do laundry. Investigators said Katrina went shopping from approximately 6 to 8 p.m., and returned to the house to finish washing her clothes.

Oct. 30, police served a search warrant at the home, where investigators reportedly seized several pieces of evidence.

http://www.onrockfordnews.com/2012/11/24/murder-suspect-todd-smith-appears-in-court/

Smith faces four counts of first-degree murder and one count of concealing a homicide. He could spend up to 100 years in prison if convicted.

Investigators allege Smith killed Katrina Smith, 30, the evening of Oct. 22. It is believed Katrina Smith’s body was placed in the trunk of her Chevrolet Cruze and transported to the Rock River, where it was discovered nearly three weeks later.

Several sources confirmed that Katrina had moved out of the home she shared with Todd at 8239 Tetterhall Lane and reportedly began seeing another man.

It is believed Katrina went to the couple’s home Oct. 22 to do laundry. Investigators said Katrina went shopping from approximately 6 to 8 p.m., and returned to the house to finish washing her clothes.

Oct. 30, police served a search warrant at the home, where investigators reportedly seized several pieces of evidence.

http://www.onrockfordnews.com/2012/11/24/murder-suspect-todd-smith-appears-in-court/

So figuring out how todd did this crime. Does anyone have any ideas how it happened?? Thanks

So figuring out how todd did this crime. Does anyone have any ideas how it happened?? Thanks

nope. the article you posted is the most that has been put out. the cause of death was reportedly multiple blunt trauma to head/torso

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Double