IL - Kenneka Jenkins, 19, found dead in hotel freezer, Rosemont, 10 Sept 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Was there no way out of the freezer? I once worked night duty alone with a walk in freezer, but the was a push down bar that allowed you to get out if the heavy door closed behind you. And it often did; gave me the creeps.

But to respond to the specific question, very likely yes. Was it working, was it too dark to see, was she too intoxicated to use it, no one has released any conclusions, and it won't be easy to determine.

But to respond to the specific question, very likely yes. Was it working, was it too dark to see, was she too intoxicated to use it, no one has released any conclusions, and it won't be easy to determine.

Freezing to death would be my worst nightmare. I have heard that people who freeze to death whether in freezers or in snow just lie down and die. How awful for a young woman.

The autopsy will tell COD. Once they have that, we'll have MOD as well. Unfortunately, I don't think that will ever be enough.

And I agree with Satchie, the blame game has started and what the hotel has in the way of video will no doubt play an important part in future lawsuits between the constructor, the freezer manufacturer and the hotel.

She was trespassing on the property, not a paying, registered guest, I bet in the future, this hotel shuts down every and all parties so they will never be liable again. Other hotels should be taking notes. IMO

Freezing to death would be my worst nightmare. I have heard that people who freeze to death whether in freezers or in snow just lie down and die. How awful for a young woman.

Being in a confined space, not able to get out, would be horrible. But in terms of ways to die, some suicidal people have choosen to go out to remote areas in cold weather to die, because you just fall asleep, there's no pain.

Is this the "activist" involved in Kenneka's case? It seems to be him.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/02/jedid...vist-twitter-watch-uncensored-you-tube-crime/
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/201...st-lake-shore-drive-shut-down-trump-rally-uic

It appears that this is the same man. He's unstable and it's a shame if any of Kenneka's family is listening to him. IMO nothing good will come of his public accusations and conspiracy theories. Kenneka's mom and aunt have said they don't believe this is about race but I'm afraid this man will keep pushing until it does become a racial issue.

I don't know if LE could have done more to search for Kenneka, especially since she's not considered a minor.

Please don't get me wrong - what Kenneka's mom is going through is heartbreaking. Once a person is 18 or older it becomes a problem to get LE to act and unless there's extenuating circumstances LE is reluctant to get involved. It's like people fall through the cracks.

Do I have the timeline straight? According to Kenneka's mom in the 911 call the friends contacted her around "3 something in the morning" to say they left Kenneka at the lobby while they went back to the room for something and when they came back down they couldn't find Kenneka. That's in line with video showing her getting off the elavator at about 3:30 am.

So it sounds like the friends contacted Kenneka's mom almost immediately and she went to the hotel soon after. Is this correct?

At that point, according to her mom in the 911 call it had been 3 or 4 hours since the friends saw Kenneka. So does that mean the 911 call was about 6 or 7 am? I couldn't find a time for when the 911 call came in.

The officer in the 911 call said to give it until 10 or 11 am and if Kenneka was still missing to contact them again. Her mom reported her missing at 1:16 pm Saturday. IMO even if LE had responded at 6 or 7 am it would have taken time before they arrived at the hotel and searched the restricted area so at least 4 to 6 hours might have passed before they searched the basement.

And from possumheart's link the family attorney toured the hotel so he would have seen firsthand whether or not there were video cameras focused on the freezer, and signs of anyone tampering with them - i.e. removing them - would be evident. So that should put to rest any concerns about nefarious actions by hotel staff.

http://abc7chicago.com/raw-video-re...found-dead-in-rosemont-hotel-freezer/2419272/

Anyway, I'm going back to quietly following - I just wanted to express my shock at the activist's history and concern that he may cause more harm than good. My gut says this was an accident but I'll keep watching the thread.

RIP Kenneka :tears:

Being in a confined space, not able to get out, would be horrible. But in terms of ways to die, some suicidal people have choosen to go out to remote areas in cold weather to die, because you just fall asleep, there's no pain.
People say drowning is like that too, but I am not sure that I believe either one. Drowning is my second worst way to die.

Is this the "activist" involved in Kenneka's case? It seems to be him.

http://heavy.com/news/2017/02/jedid...vist-twitter-watch-uncensored-you-tube-crime/
https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/201...st-lake-shore-drive-shut-down-trump-rally-uic

It appears that this is the same man. He's unstable and it's a shame if any of Kenneka's family is listening to him. IMO nothing good will come of his public accusations and conspiracy theories. Kenneka's mom and aunt have said they don't believe this is about race but I'm afraid this man will keep pushing until it does become a racial issue.

I don't know if LE could have done more to search for Kenneka, especially since she's not considered a minor.

Please don't get me wrong - what Kenneka's mom is going through is heartbreaking. Once a person is 18 or older it becomes a problem to get LE to act and unless there's extenuating circumstances LE is reluctant to get involved. It's like people fall through the cracks.

Do I have the timeline straight? According to Kenneka's mom in the 911 call the friends contacted her around "3 something in the morning" to say they left Kenneka at the lobby while they went back to the room for something and when they came back down they couldn't find Kenneka. That's in line with video showing her getting off the elavator at about 3:30 am.

So it sounds like the friends contacted Kenneka's mom almost immediately and she went to the hotel soon after. Is this correct?

At that point, according to her mom in the 911 call it had been 3 or 4 hours since the friends saw Kenneka. So does that mean the 911 call was about 6 or 7 am? I couldn't find a time for when the 911 call came in.

The officer in the 911 call said to give it until 10 or 11 am and if Kenneka was still missing to contact them again. Her mom reported her missing at 1:16 pm Saturday. IMO even if LE had responded at 6 or 7 am it would have taken time before they arrived at the hotel and searched the restricted area so at least 4 to 6 hours might have passed before they searched the basement.

And from possumheart's link the family attorney toured the hotel so he would have seen firsthand whether or not there were video cameras focused on the freezer, and signs of anyone tampering with them - i.e. removing them - would be evident. So that should put to rest any concerns about nefarious actions by hotel staff.

http://abc7chicago.com/raw-video-re...found-dead-in-rosemont-hotel-freezer/2419272/

Anyway, I'm going back to quietly following - I just wanted to express my shock at the activist's history and concern that he may cause more harm than good. My gut says this was an accident but I'll keep watching the thread.

RIP Kenneka :tears:

That at is the current activist but not the activist that watched the video and said he saw her enter the freezer but had to revise the statement the following day after mom pitched a fit.

That at is the current activist but not the activist that watched the video and said he saw her enter the freezer but had to revise the statement the following day after mom pitched a fit.

Yes, my understanding is that the activist who claimed to have seen Kenneka enter the freezer was Andrew Holmes and the activist that is claiming that there might be a cover up for harvesting organs from Kenneka (say what?) is Jedidiah Brown, whom I referenced in my post.

And apparently there is yet another activist, Mark Carter:

Mark Carter – a community activist – says until an independent investigation is underway, he’ll lead 30-straight days of protests designed to harm Rosemont businesses.

“If we can’t get the answers that we want, then we must cause Rosemont an economic hardship. They must feel this. No cover up. You will not cover up the death of our children. This has gone on for far too long," said Carter.

http://wgntv.com/2017/09/16/kenneka...nding-fbi-involvement-in-death-investigation/
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...jenkins-memorial-met-0917-20170916-story.html

So it appears that there are several activists looking for the spotlight. I say this because I have yet to see any of them doing anything for Kenneka's poor mother other than claiming things were done to Kenneka with no evidence whatsoever - organ harvesting for goodnes sakes! - and claiming the hotel is somehow hiding evidence from LE and the family even though the family's own attorney went through the hotel. I haven't heard anything from him that alludes to a conspiracy on the part of the hotel.

Chances are even if the freezer was equiped with a safety release, once she was in the freezer she was in no condition to find her way out, ex press a button, open a release bar, etc. This Mother has been through a lot lately, breast cancer, recent surgery and now the death of her child. The stories from gang activity to rape to organ harvesting, have been wild. This isn't helping the family to begin the healing process. First, I cannot fathom losing a child, this Mothers head must be spinning from so many conspiracy theories.

People post pics and videos of themselves doing gang signs all the time. Growing up in the NJ suburbs with a lot of implants from Brooklyn and queens, I can assure you "gang signs" can be seen in a bunch of pictures back then. Way back in the day when you had to take your disposable cameras to CVS to get them developed.

Those guys were prob trying to look cool on social media. I truly wouldn't look too much into the "gang sign"
Thing.

Gang signs are gang signs for a reason. Unless it's proven that they were playing, I'm going with what I saw in the video. Unless and until there is evidence that they are not, I'm gonig with what I saw and heard directly from them.

BBM
I thought purple was worn in support of awareness of domestic violence. I just didn't even see any gang related tatts either. Maybe I need glasses. There's normally some kind of tatt showing. Some hand signs but nothing I don't see folks throw up and rap shows here.
I'm not talking about anyone who wore purple, and I do not know how you can see tattoos in that dark video.

Yeah, I've seen them in purple shirts and I think they released purple balloons at Kanneka's memorial. Maybe it was her favorite color.

Right. How is it we can assume significance to the color purple but we can't assume such about the gang signs and phrases? The facts are we saw gang signs, and we heard someone say "on Bd." Believe what you will about that, but it's a fact that it's on the video. Until someone knows these people well enough to say they are pretending or they are serious, I'm going with the fact their actions have certain implications.

Just an FYI for anyone who may have been reading in a hurry .... the articles about the activist shutting down a street were from 2014, not currently. Doesn't change anything, except I read it originally thinking it was new.

gotta run.... see ya' all later!

Yes, my understanding is that the activist who claimed to have seen Kenneka enter the freezer was Andrew Holmes and the activist that is claiming that there might be a cover up for harvesting organs from Kenneka (say what?) is Jedidiah Brown, whom I referenced in my post.

And apparently there is yet another activist, Mark Carter:

http://wgntv.com/2017/09/16/kenneka...nding-fbi-involvement-in-death-investigation/
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...jenkins-memorial-met-0917-20170916-story.html

So it appears that there are several activists looking for the spotlight. I say this because I have yet to see any of them doing anything for Kenneka's poor mother other than claiming things were done to Kenneka with no evidence whatsoever - organ harvesting for goodnes sakes! - and claiming the hotel is somehow hiding evidence from LE and the family even though the family's own attorney went through the hotel. I haven't heard anything from him that alludes to a conspiracy on the part of the hotel.

Yeah let's cause economic harm to local businesses who have NOTHING to do with this. That'll show em! /s

What are these protesters thinking??? It's not even about kenneka at all. They are making this about themselves and their own issues.

The autopsy will tell COD. Once they have that, we'll have MOD as well. Unfortunately, I don't think that will ever be enough.

And I agree with Satchie, the blame game has started and what the hotel has in the way of video will no doubt play an important part in future lawsuits between the constructor, the freezer manufacturer and the hotel.

She was trespassing on the property, not a paying, registered guest, I bet in the future, this hotel shuts down every and all parties so they will never be liable again. Other hotels should be taking notes. IMO

Agree, Seajay. I also think the hotel's case will be hurt by the fact that they were aware of the party. A security guard or some other hotel employee knocked on the door and told them to keep it down. It could be argued that the hotel knowingly allowed the illegal activity to continue, so they have some responsibility for the outcome. I can't imagine why they didn't toss them all out.

Agree, Seajay. I also think the hotel's case will be hurt by the fact that they were aware of the party. A security guard or some other hotel employee knocked on the door and told them to keep it down. It could be argued that the hotel knowingly allowed the illegal activity to continue, so they have some responsibility for the outcome. I can't imagine why they didn't toss them all out.

Perhaps that security guard thought it was safer for them to sleep it off, rather than drive home inebriated.
It may have actually been an attempt to LESSEN their risk of serious injury or death.
Or, the security guard might have just been lazy and didn't give a crap. Who knows.

Perhaps that security guard thought it was safer for them to sleep it off, rather than drive home inebriated.
It may have actually been an attempt to LESSEN their risk of serious injury or death.
Or, the security guard might have just been lazy and didn't give a crap. Who knows.

Perhaps. No matter what though there are a lot of heads rolling right now and questions internally I'm sure.
Hotels very rarely have a full staff in the overnight hours and operate on a skeleton crew. This hotel has been swarmed with protesters all week. Their reviews have been swarmed with reviews having nothing to do with their business but the death of this young girl.
As an unregistered adult guest-- unless someone has some strong evidence to suggest foul play- do they have any recourse? What a mess. A terrible heartache for a family and a business blamed for something they may be innocent of. Just bad all around. And these 'activists' aren't making it any better. In fact they could be causing some more potential violence, arrests, etc. I just don't know what to make of
All this. I watch in complete awe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah let's cause economic harm to local businesses who have NOTHING to do with this. That'll show em! /s

What are these protesters thinking??? It's not even about kenneka at all. They are making this about themselves and their own issues.

****'If we can’t get the answers that we want, then we must cause Rosemont an economic hardship. They must feel this. No cover up. You will not cover up the death of our children. This has gone on for far too long," said Carter.******
(sorry dont know how to BBM at the moment)

I just thought the same...WHY should a whole community/town suffer for this? No one held a gun to those kids' head and made them use a stolen card to obtain a hotel room to party. Yes, its a horrible tragedy, I cant even begin to imagine this Mother's anguish, all of this is only making it worse for this young lady's family and friends.
Im SO sick of ZERO accountability in society today.

Perhaps. No matter what though there are a lot of heads rolling right now and questions internally I'm sure.
Hotels very rarely have a full staff in the overnight hours and operate on a skeleton crew. This hotel has been swarmed with protesters all week. Their reviews have been swarmed with reviews having nothing to do with their business but the death of this young girl.
As an unregistered adult guest-- unless someone has some strong evidence to suggest foul play- do they have any recourse? What a mess. A terrible heartache for a family and a business blamed for something they may be innocent of. Just bad all around. And these 'activists' aren't making it any better. In fact they could be causing some more potential violence, arrests, etc. I just don't know what to make of
All this. I watch in complete awe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many may not want to get involved now because of possible liability and lawsuits, and this is only going to make it more so. Maybe this happens so much they are jaded to the situation or "turn a blind eye" per se.

Was there no way out of the freezer? I once worked night duty alone with a walk in freezer, but the was a push down bar that allowed you to get out if the heavy door closed behind you. And it often did; gave me the creeps.

In an interview with her sister, she'd said there was an interior release. However, in KJ's inebriated state, inside a dark freezer, I see why she'd not have found the release, or a light switch, if there was one. Ours had a light, iirc, but if I'd gone in it, drunk, and especially never been in it before, I'd likely never have found it. Our den, in the basement, has two light switches, but if I was as inebriated, as KJ, I don't know that I could find them, and I live here. We're talking pitch black in my basement, and in that freezer, and with her in a very inebriated state, and in a place she'd never been before, it would have been a miracle if she'd found the release button/handle.

This was a freak accident. With this hotel billing itself as a conference style hotel, I'm sure they've seen their fair share of highly inebriated guests wandering from conference rooms to sleeping quarters. To avoid any accidents of guests drinking and doing something to hurt/kill themselves, they'd almost have to shut down having conferences and alcohol on the premises too. I agree with the trespassing part. I'd think that all of them were trespassing, especially whoever rented the room, because no one rented the room legally. There should be charges pressed against whoever rented the room with a stolen card.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roxie1892
Back