IL - Kenneka Jenkins, 19, found dead in hotel freezer, Rosemont, 10 Sept 2017 #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
In an interview with her sister, she'd said there was an interior release. However, in KJ's inebriated state, inside a dark freezer, I see why she'd not have found the release, or a light switch, if there was one. Ours had a light, iirc, but if I'd gone in it, drunk, and especially never been in it before, I'd likely never have found it. Our den, in the basement, has two light switches, but if I was as inebriated, as KJ, I don't know that I could find them, and I live here. We're talking pitch black in my basement, and in that freezer, and with her in a very inebriated state, and in a place she'd never been before, it would have been a miracle if she'd found the release button/handle.

I hope she just went in there and decided to sit down and try to sober up in the cold air, and then fell asleep and didn't wake up. I hate to think about her struggling to get out of there.

I'm not talking about anyone who wore purple, and I do not know how you can see tattoos in that dark video.

Right. How is it we can assume significance to the color purple but we can't assume such about the gang signs and phrases? The facts are we saw gang signs, and we heard someone say "on Bd." Believe what you will about that, but it's a fact that it's on the video. Until someone knows these people well enough to say they are pretending or they are serious, I'm going with the fact their actions have certain implications.

A lot of gang members have tatts around their eye area. I just didn't see that. I didn't see any colors either.

Agree, Seajay. I also think the hotel's case will be hurt by the fact that they were aware of the party. A security guard or some other hotel employee knocked on the door and told them to keep it down. It could be argued that the hotel knowingly allowed the illegal activity to continue, so they have some responsibility for the outcome. I can't imagine why they didn't toss them all out.

I think that they did kick them out, after that warning we saw.

KJ left her Mom's house at around 11:30 p.m.
We see a video of them arriving at the motel around midnight or so,
We have Irene's video with only the four of them and a couple guys in the room (unsure of time)
Then a video of the guy saying hotel security was there and a large number of folks in the room (unsure of time),
KJ is on video headed toward the freezer at 3:20 a.m.
The friends call KJ's mom at least three times by 4:00 a.m. and she tells them to stay put. They end up driving Mom's car to her home after the 4:00 a.m. call.

That's far too short for a birthday party to last.

I think that they did kick them out, after that warning we saw.

KJ left her Mom's house at around 11:30 p.m.
We see a video of them arriving at the motel around midnight or so,
We have Irene's video with only the four of them and a couple guys in the room (unsure of time)
Then a video of the guy saying hotel security was there and a large number of folks in the room (unsure of time),
KJ is on video headed toward the freezer at 3:20 a.m.
The friends call KJ's mom at least three times by 4:00 a.m. and she tells them to stay put. They end up driving Mom's car to her home after the 4:00 a.m. call.

That's far too short for a birthday party to last.

You're right, they might have kicked them all out.

This was a freak accident. With this hotel billing itself as a conference style hotel, I'm sure they've seen their fair share of highly inebriated guests wandering from conference rooms to sleeping quarters. To avoid any accidents of guests drinking and doing something to hurt/kill themselves, they'd almost have to shut down having conferences and alcohol on the premises too. I agree with the trespassing part. I'd think that all of them were trespassing, especially whoever rented the room, because no one rented the room legally. There should be charges pressed against whoever rented the room with a stolen card.

In which case, I think it would depend on what the liability laws are in Illinois regarding personal responsibility of the guests vs the hotel chains.

You make a point that hotels who advertise as conference/convention venues would have a lot of guests who are not registered at the hotel, with loads of people inebriated, partying it up. That's the hotels bread and butter.

So I goes back to legal liability and responsibility of all parties involved. The hotel staff aren't babysitters to the adults that go there and wish to get wasted and out of their minds. FWIW.

I hope she just went in there and decided to sit down and try to sober up in the cold air, and then fell asleep and didn't wake up. I hate to think about her struggling to get out of there.

Honestly, I think that's what happened. I've been highly inebriated before, and when you get to that point, a cool floor is so nice. She'd have felt warm because of the alcohol opening up the blood flow to here extremities, which would cause her core body temp to drop faster. So the coolness may have felt welcoming. She most likely would have dropped off to sleep and just not woken up.

In which case, I think it would depend on what the liability laws are in Illinois regarding personal responsibility of the guests vs the hotel chains.

You make a point that hotels who advertise as conference/convention venues would have a lot of guests who are not registered at the hotel, with loads of people inebriated, partying it up. That's the hotels bread and butter.

So I goes back to legal liability and responsibility of all parties involved. The hotel staff aren't babysitters to the adults that go there and wish to get wasted and out of their minds. FWIW.

BBM

Agree. I've gone to parties at motels, and conferences, and not once did motel staff follow me around to make sure that I didn't get hurt, whether I was drinking or not. When traveling alone, I've often become bored and checked out the hotel (night owl), and I've never been bothered by hotel staff. At night there's usually very few staff there and during the day they're fairly busy.

BBM

Agree. I've gone to parties at motels, and conferences, and not once did motel staff follow me around to make sure that I didn't get hurt, whether I was drinking or not. When traveling alone, I've often become bored and checked out the hotel (night owl), and I've never been bothered by hotel staff. At night there's usually very few staff there and during the day they're fairly busy.

I think it comes down to whether the hotel should have anticipated that the freezer might endanger the life of someone on their property. If there was a loose handrail on the stairs and Kenneka lost her grip and died from a fall, I think the hotel would probably be held accountable, even if she was drunk, because they should have anticipated that someone could get hurt. I don't know if they should have anticipated someone getting trapped in the freezer. I don't think it will go to court anyway. I think the lawyers will squeeze themselves a big settlement from the hotel's insurance company instead.

Keneeka's funeral is scheduled for next weekend on Saturday, September 30th. Does this mean the toxicology tests came up negative and the cause of death is being ruled accidental?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ekend/&usg=AFQjCNGIGDycFjqqyGa_SMhbDfelZtVpjQ

Not yet..... still pending (waiting on) those results:

Jenkins’ body has been released to her family, a spokeswoman for the Cook County medical examiner’s office said on Saturday. Autopsy results are pending toxicology tests and further investigation. [from same article]

Keneeka's funeral is scheduled for next weekend on Saturday, September 30th. Does this mean the toxicology tests came up negative and the cause of death is being ruled accidental?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ekend/&usg=AFQjCNGIGDycFjqqyGa_SMhbDfelZtVpjQ

Toxology reports usually take awhile. All this means is that the autopsy is done and the body has been released for burial. It could take months to get some of the results back from the tests that were done. The ME still has to compile the data into a report, so although the autopsy is complete, it doesn't necessarily mean all tests are back and the report has been completed. IMO

I think it comes down to whether the hotel should have anticipated that the freezer might endanger the life of someone on their property. If there was a loose handrail on the stairs and Kenneka lost her grip and died from a fall, I think the hotel would probably be held accountable, even if she was drunk, because they should have anticipated that someone could get hurt. I don't know if they should have anticipated someone getting trapped in the freezer. I don't think it will go to court anyway. I think the lawyers will squeeze themselves a big settlement from the hotel's insurance company instead.

I agree completely. This case is very curious, though, because of all the conspiracy theories and racial sensitivity, so I think the lawyers will really earn their fees on this one.

I agree with your loose rail example. I too do not see how they could have anticipated that anyone would have walked into that freezer and died. Most all freezer deaths are related to people who own, or work, in a restaurant. And, fwiw, I agree that there will likely be some sort of settlement. What on earth will it do though? Money won't bring her back. The Your Caring fund is well over enough for burial. I'd just want to lay my child to rest, in peace, at this point. If anything changes on the hotel's part, I'd say that the hotel will become diligent in checking I.D.s when they rent a room, to ensure that their policy, of not renting rooms to anyone who is under the age of 21, is enforced.

Corporations and government entities use a formula to calculate settlement offers based on the estimated costs to defend a claim. Most local governments use $25,000 as a standard amount to offer. That is one of the reasons for the protests because the attorneys know the loss of revenue will be calculated in. I don’t foresee a multi-million dollar settlement and I believe a jury would not award as much as you might think either. I am guessing Mom will get $100,000 - $250,000 at the most. JMHO

There is so much rumor and speculation on all the social media pages, it is hard to sort out what happened. And almost all the websites that have any articles are probably not allowed here. This is a tough case to sleuth!

I think some some of the people at the party have a good idea of how or why she ended up in the basement, if not the freezer. But that is only a gut reaction on my part.

<modsnip>

Has there been an obituary posted yet for Kenneka?

There is so much rumor and speculation on all the social media pages, it is hard to sort out what happened. And almost all the websites that have any articles are probably not allowed here. This is a tough case to sleuth!

I think some some of the people at the party have a good idea of how or why she ended up in the basement, if not the freezer. But that is only a gut reaction on my part.

<modsnip>

Has there been an obituary posted yet for Kenneka?

BBM
Not that I have found.

The mother was outside of the hotel, and, I'm really just without words, but stated that a church she'd asked to host KJ's funeral had declined. The church has responded and their video is in YTube world. They said, that they've told her that they did not do funerals for non-members but gave her the pastor's number, to see if he'd make an exception*. The pastor, in the video, stated that she'd called, and had been told about the policy, but had been given his number, however she'd never called him about making an exception.

Mom made a YT video called "Funeral Arrangements For Kenneka Jenkins". It's, well, I don't think I'm allowed to link it, but she does say that the funeral will the 30th, but there's no obit.

* Fwiw, our former church has a non member policy on weddings (unsure about funerals). Not to sound insensitive, but it is a lot of set up, and take down, to do weddings and funerals. The 30th is a Saturday and Mom is planning to try and accommodate everyone. That's going to be a lot of people for nearly any church to try to accommodate.

And this young beautiful girl's death has now been turned into a HUGE ***** show with greed, egos, and attention seeking whack jobs taking center stage. What a freakin mess...

And this young beautiful girl's death has now been turned into a HUGE ***** show with greed, egos, and attention seeking whack jobs taking center stage. What a freakin mess...

Absolutely! What a circus! I don't think they even know what they are protesting about! Is anyone grieving about the loss of this young girl?

This case is incredibly interesting, but it's difficult and frustrating wading through all the BS to see the facts. I guess in some ways, that's probably part of what makes it interesting.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roxie1892
Back