GUILTY IL - Kierra Garner, 6, dies of drug OD, Dolton, 5 Jan 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
An acquaintance of mine is a traveling nurse.

There are several groups where you can apply to be traveling medical personnel.

They travel to areas of the country where there are shortages in medical staff.

You get paid much more, the jobs are temporary and you get to travel.

Nothing new yet. I thought this was kind of an odd comment though. You would think they would say something like "she is doing much better" but to say " she is very active" just strikes me as odd for some reason.

"She is very active," said Dolton spokesman Sean Howard, who declined to say when the woman would be questioned in the ongoing death investigation of her child."She is very active," said Dolton spokesman Sean Howard, who declined to say when the woman would be questioned in the ongoing death investigation of her child.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...516557.story?coll=chi-newslocalssouthwest-hed

If the needle marks are on the mom's butt, then I'm inclined to think maybe whatever her addiction is has been helped along by somebody else, like the traveling father, maybe. I mean, who's going to give themselves a shot in the butt? If it's not something that needs to go into the vein, isn't it more convenient to give yourself a shot in the belly or in the thigh? That's where I had to give myself shots last summer when I had to take Lovenox.

Maybe the mom didn't do it to herself and her child. Maybe it was an intruder or another third party.

lostfaith said:
Nothing new yet. I thought this was kind of an odd comment though. You would think they would say something like "she is doing much better" but to say " she is very active" just strikes me as odd for some reason.

"She is very active," said Dolton spokesman Sean Howard, who declined to say when the woman would be questioned in the ongoing death investigation of her child."She is very active," said Dolton spokesman Sean Howard, who declined to say when the woman would be questioned in the ongoing death investigation of her child.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...516557.story?coll=chi-newslocalssouthwest-hed

Combative? That would be consistant with a drug overdose, though usually it doesn't last long. Except maybe in a long term addiction. That may last longer.
Ok, herion you put in the veins. Same with meth and most other street drugs.
The only drugs I can think of where you would inject in muscle, would be steriods. Anyone else think of anything that would be injected into muscle?

mysteriew said:
Combative? That would be consistant with a drug overdose, though usually it doesn't last long. Except maybe in a long term addiction. That may last longer.
The only drugs I can think of where you would inject in muscle, would be steriods. Anyone else think of anything that would be injected into muscle?

I do not know a lot about different kinds of drugs. But what about somekind of pain medication or a drug that puts you to sleep. Being he is an antheisologits ( I murdered that word too! LOL) they could have easy access to something along those lines, and I have heard that those types of drugs could be abused.

Women usually take fertility shots in the buttocks, don't they? That's the only other thing I can think of.

mysteriew said:
Narcotics. Morphine, Demerol, Dilaudid are all shot into the muscle, or can be given via IV.

Jesstexas said:
Women usually take fertility shots in the buttocks, don't they? That's the only other thing I can think of.
Progesterone.

It was reported that PRESCRIPTION drugs were found in the home. So that would rule out a lot of the drugs previously mentioned.

How about insulin? You are supposed to put that in a muscle.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=44880

Although an overdose of insulin can cause death, I think it is
important to emphasize that only a medical professional with all the
details of the case history, lab reports etc, could judge whether a
specific death is due to insulin or to other causes.

Well, insulin overdose has been used as a means of murder both in real
life and in fiction. If you put the words "insulin" and "murder" into
Google, you will come up with many examples. However, this would
presumably be done secretly in the hope that it would not be noticed
and another cause of death would be assumed.

I don't see much of anything, beyond they were going to question Mom. Tox reports take a while to come back, and I would imagine they are waiting on those.

Anngelique said:
It was reported that PRESCRIPTION drugs were found in the home. So that would rule out a lot of the drugs previously mentioned.

How about insulin? You are supposed to put that in a muscle.

http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=44880

Although an overdose of insulin can cause death, I think it is
important to emphasize that only a medical professional with all the
details of the case history, lab reports etc, could judge whether a
specific death is due to insulin or to other causes.

Well, insulin overdose has been used as a means of murder both in real
life and in fiction. If you put the words "insulin" and "murder" into
Google, you will come up with many examples. However, this would
presumably be done secretly in the hope that it would not be noticed
and another cause of death would be assumed.

http://www.bocamag.com/index.php?src=news&prid=206&category=Articles

A few minutes later, he emerges. “Five syringes next to him—it looks like insulin,” he says. “He left a note. This is one for toxicology. And that’ll take about three weeks to get the report.”

I sure didn't mean to kill this thread. :banghead: :slap:

Sorry everyone! :D

I have been gone for the last day and a half, no news yet? :confused:

While doing a search to see if anything more was reported in this case, I found this site.
This family lives (lived) just a few doors down from where I grew up and where my father still lives.
Apparently the locals are thinking that it was an attempted murder/suicide. That really is probably what it was.
But...there are a couple of things I find curious about this whole thing. Dolton Illinois is directly south of Chicago. It's a heavily populated urban area. It's also not an area any reasonable anesthesiologist would want to rear a child. The crime rate has skyrocketed in the last ten to fifteen years, and there was even a murder of a cab driver just a few years ago that took place almost in front of this house.
Why would an anesthesiologist (very high paying profession) want to live in Dolton Illinois, and work in California (or travel to work) when there are dozens of hospitals within 30-60 miles of there? Also, there are plenty of areas within 10 miles of Dolton that would be great to live in.
What I'm wondering is if the media reports are wrong. I wonder if the couple were estranged, and the woman had custody of the child and lived in the house while the husband lived and worked in California.
Something is just not adding up.

Daga, welcome to WS and thanks for your info. We have been puzzling over this also. One thing I wonder is if the wife had family in the area? Or if the anesthesiologist ever traveled elsewhere to practice?
Not much is coming out in the media about him or even about the wife.

daga said:
But...there are a couple of things I find curious about this whole thing. Dolton Illinois is directly south of Chicago. It's a heavily populated urban area. It's also not an area any reasonable anesthesiologist would want to rear a child. The crime rate has skyrocketed in the last ten to fifteen years, and there was even a murder of a cab driver just a few years ago that took place almost in front of this house.
Why would an anesthesiologist (very high paying profession) want to live in Dolton Illinois, and work in California (or travel to work) when there are dozens of hospitals within 30-60 miles of there? Also, there are plenty of areas within 10 miles of Dolton that would be great to live in.
Hi, daga - my first post, too.

I wondered those things, but it doesn't say how long they had lived there. I thought that it may be that they moved there to be be close to her parents (she seems to have been very close to her mother, who discovered the situation). Especially if she were having issues with drug dependancy, her husband may have hoped that bringing her close to her Mom would help - but may have been stuck working out a contract in California.

Or his credentials may have been from a non-US hospital - people in that situation are often forced to work wherever they can, until they gain enough US experience to be able to pick and choose. Add the potential of crushing student debts, and possible expenditures by the wife on a drug habit, and it can place even a doctorin a very precarious financial position.

Whatever demons drove her to this, it's probably worse for her than if she had succeeded in committing suicide. Whether it was drugs, a failing marriage or some psychiatic situation (or a combination of any of the previous), she obviously didn't want to live any longer and didn't want to leave her daughter... her actions can only have made whatever hell she was living even worse. And she's now dragged her husband and mother into hell with her... it's immensely sad for all of them, and saddest of all for the poor child.

Jackie

Welcome to WS Jacklad. And you have given some interesting and very logical reasons for the fact that hubby was working in Cal. while wife was living in Illinois. A trial separation was also a good idea.
I am still on the fence. The fact that she was found holding the baby, certainly points to a murder/suicide, but I don't know. That could also point to a mother who is feeling ill and is concerned about her dau. Though I guess if she was well enough to get her dau., she would have been well enough to call 911. I also don't know if it was her practice to have the baby sleep with her, while hubby was away.
I will be glad when the tox report comes back, and I hope they advise what the results are.

It's my understanding that they lived in the house for several years. Even if they lived in that area to be close to the wife's mother, it's still sticking in my craw that they lived in Dolton. The next town immediately south of Dolton is South Holland. Literally six blocks south of where they lived (across the Litle Calumet River), they could have bought a similar house for $20,000 more and been able to live in a safer neighborhood where they could have sent their child to a MUCH better school than what was offered in Dolton. As it was they sent the child to a private catholic school in Chicago.

mysteriew said:
Welcome to WS Jacklad. And you have given some interesting and very logical reasons for the fact that hubby was working in Cal. while wife was living in Illinois. A trial separation was also a good idea.
I am still on the fence. The fact that she was found holding the baby, certainly points to a murder/suicide, but I don't know. That could also point to a mother who is feeling ill and is concerned about her dau. Though I guess if she was well enough to get her dau., she would have been well enough to call 911. I also don't know if it was her practice to have the baby sleep with her, while hubby was away.
I will be glad when the tox report comes back, and I hope they advise what the results are.

Why hasnt there been any more info. on this? Strange. Mysteriew, the "baby" was 6 years old, not really a baby anymore, so, able to get into her mothers bed on her own.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia
Back