GUILTY IL - Kierra Garner, 6, dies of drug OD, Dolton, 5 Jan 2006

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
This is unbelievable...the local news JUST NOW said there is an update to this story coming up on the news which is just about to start.

And the update is.....

She died of intentionally administered antidepressants. So far charges have not been filed.

Amitriptyline is an antidepressant medication.In some patients with depression, abnormal levels of brain chemicals called neurotransmitters may relate to their depression. Amitriptyline elevates mood by raising the level of neurotransmitters in brain tissue.

Overdose with amitriptyline can cause life threatening abnormal heart rhythms.

IMO, it is pretty clear what the defense is going to be.Depressed, emotionaly unstable .

I am assuming this was injected, since they did find needle marks on her body. Is this a medication that would be injected? I wonder what the Mothers story is, we never did hear what her story was. We know the father had been away for days, so it must have been the mother. Sure took along time for these results. I also wonder what is taking so long in filing a charge.

I would imagine that the mother put the meds in some food that the little girl ate. I don't think she could have given it in a injection. Even if it was in capsules it probably could only be put in food.

The mother must be out of the hospital by now. Wish we knew what is going on.

Finally, news.

Authorities in Dolton said they have charged a 35-year-old woman with murder in the death of her daughter in January.

Patrice Garner has been charged in the death of her daughter, 6-year-old Keira Garner, who died in the family home on Jan. 5. Tests later determined that her body contained lethal doses of antidepressant medications.

more at link

http://www.nbc5.com/news/7789321/detail.html

another link with picture of the mother.

http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/local_story_066181729.html

That mother is a selfish person. IMO, she was doing this to "punish" her husband. I just don't get it. The mother was a CPA, for crying out loud. Even if she and her husband divorced, she would have been just fine. IMO, she knew that taking her daughter's life would be devastating to her husband.

I am on Amitripytlene(sp). I know that as far as the 150 mg goes, it comes in pill form, not capsule. I also know what happens if it backs up in my system. My heart beat gets weird, and my speech slurs. So, I have to be careful and just take it every other day as opposed to everyday. I am sure it probably comes in an injectable form. The name brand of it is Elavil.

That poor man, losing his child because of his selfish wife. :behindbar

Patrice Garner emptied whatever was left of two bottles of her antidepressant medication, enough to kill her 6-year-old daughter and to put herself into a coma, prosecutors said Wednesday.

Those details and Kierra Garner's autopsy results were enough for Cook County Circuit Judge Thomas Condon to order Garner, 35, of Dolton held in lieu of $1 million bail on the charge of giving her daughter a lethal overdose.

Prosecutors did not disclose why they think Garner gave the "large quantity" of amitriptyline, an antidepressant, to her daughter or why she took a significant amount herself two months ago. But officials said they believe her escalating problems with her husband, Dr. Grady Garner, played a part.

"The victim was not prescribed" the antidepressant, said Assistant State's Atty. Christine Opp. "We believe this is a very serious crime."

But Patrice Garner's defense attorney, Tommy Brewer, said the drugs were his client's, a prescription filled 13 years earlier.

He said his client was saddened by the charges, adding that she has the support of her husband, who sat in court Wednesday as details of his daughter's death were revealed.

"He believes in her innocence," Brewer said outside the courtroom. "She wants the public to know as well as the family she would not intentionally kill her daughter."

Brewer declined to say how the drugs ended up in Kierra's system or why Garner had antidepressants. He said Garner would plead not guilty to the charges.

More at link

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...22.story?coll=chi-news-hed&ctrack=1&cset=true

I wonder what her defense is gonna be? Maybe that the little girl got into the meds and the mother was so distraught over it she decided to commit suicide?

Her husband stands by her? Who does he think did this, if not her? I'm really surprised.

The mother was saddened by the charges? I am so sick and tired of these parents who treat their kids as possessions. What gives them the idea that they can decide who lives and dies? Do they honestly think they have a reasonable excuse for their behavior? That we're to pity them for their problems? As we say in my part of the country That dog don't hunt!

H0NEYWEST said:
"a traveling anesthesiologist"

What an odd term.
Often when a licensed health professional doesn't have a permant position with a hospital they do "fill-in" work at misc. facilities. There are also "Traveling" ER docs in our area. It does sound strange..:D

After seeing her picture I can understand why she was depressed. Yikes!

Patrice Garner did not go to trial until 2014. She was found guilty and sentenced to 35 years in prison.

In September, her appeal for a new trial was denied.

http://www.illinoiscourts.gov/Opinions/AppellateCourt/2016/1stDistrict/1141583.pdf

Defendant Patrice Garner was convicted of murdering her six-year-old daughter, Kierra Garner, and sentenced to 35 years’ imprisonment. In this appeal, defendant argues that she is entitled to a new trial because the trial court improperly (1) excluded expert testimony regarding her psychological make-up, (2) permitted testimony regarding communications between her husband and her in contravention of the Illinois spousal privilege statute, and (3) permitted another witness to testify about statements made by her mother that incriminated her. We affirm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
omnia
Back