GUILTY IL - Kristina Wesselman, 15, raped & murdered, Glen Ellyn, 21 July 1985

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I suspect when the warrant was obtained to search Jones house, LE was hoping to find Kristina's pearl ring that was taken from her at the time of her death perhaps as a keepsake from his victim. Will be interesting to learn if the ring was found.

JMO

From your article:
Jones, a repeat offender, was out on parole on a 1977 sexual assault case in Cook County when he raped and murdered Wesselman, Berlin said. In the 1977 case, Jones crashed his car into a woman riding a bicycle and took her to his parents' house where he raped her repeatedly. He was convicted and sentenced to 10 to 20 years, but spent only 7 years in prison.

He was paroled in 1983. Two years later, Wesselman was murdered.

Who knows what else he has been doing all this time.

If he would have done his time Kristina would still be here.

Jones denies the allegations and told police, "As God as my witness, I've never seen her before," Berlin said, when shown Wesselman's photograph.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/dna-lea...t-offender-in-1985-sex-assault-murder/994285/

Lying . I'm local to the case. Time permitting I might try and make a trial. If there is a trial. I notice with a lot of cases in Du
Page a plea is negotiated prior to making it all the way to trial. There is no way this guy is going to explain his dna at the scene. He's clearly toast. So we'll have to see........

I suspect when the warrant was obtained to search Jones house, LE was hoping to find Kristina's pearl ring that was taken from her at the time of her death perhaps as a keepsake from his victim. Will be interesting to learn if the ring was found.

JMO

I'm curious if he was a guest at the party near the crime scene.

Grew up in the Chicago area. Nice to see a big break on this one.

DuPage County Judge Daniel Guerin denied Jones' bail this morning. He is scheduled to be arraigned Oct. 13 before Judge John Kinsella.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20150921/news/150929887/

Wishing love and good thoughts to the Wesselman family, who have endured so much over the years. I hope this arrest brings justice for Kristina.

I was wondering if this POI had a past record. According to the link above, he does:

When Kristina was murdered, Jones was on parole. He had served seven years of a 10- to 20-year term for an August 4, 1977, Schiller Park sexual assault. In that case, Berlin said, Jones ran his car into a 27-year-old bicyclist, knocking her to the ground in Chicago. He then forced her into the car, bound her wrists and put a wool stocking cap over her head. He then drove to his parents' home in Schiller Park and repeatedly assaulted her there.

JMO, but I'm guessing this guy was on local LE's list since early in the investigation. It also seems likely he's committed similar crimes, not necessarily murder, but rape and assault.

Wishing love and good thoughts to the Wesselman family, who have endured so much over the years. I hope this arrest brings justice for Kristina.

I was wondering if this POI had a past record. According to the link above, he does:

JMO, but I'm guessing this guy was on local LE's list since early in the investigation. It also seems likely he's committed similar crimes, not necessarily murder, but rape and assault.

One of the many msm articles I read indicated he was not at all on LE's radar. He wasn't one of the original poi's interviewed. I can't find the article now but if I do I will post it.

Here is the info I mentioned in the post above.

Their long wait for answers came this week, when a Champaign man whose name had never come up as a suspect before but whom prosecutors allege is linked to the 1985 slaying through DNA was charged with murder and aggravated criminal sexual assault.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...istina-wesselman-met-0922-20150921-story.html

This was strictly a codis match.

I am a little confused about some things that the media has published about this case. Some articles state the arrest was prompted by an unidentified or anonymous tip (like this article http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/glen-ellyn/news/ct-dupage-cold-case-kristy-wesselman-20150920-story.html and this article http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3242850/Domestic-abuser-62-charged-brutal-1985-murder-15-year-old-schoolgirl-raped-stabbed-death.html

Others just say that it was a DNA match. If it was a CODIS match, wouldn't that happen within a few seconds of when the DNA is tested? Would it really take a few months? Michael Jones was arrested in July and ordered to give his DNA sample... is it realistic that it wouldnt be entered into CODIS until September 10th?

It takes time for a lab to develop a dna profile and then time to enter it into the national database. Just because the court order to submit dna occured in July doesn't mean MJ submitted the dna in July.

Welcome to WS wannabe00 :welcome:

I keep wondering how they crossed paths. If he wasn't a guest at the party held that Sunday, was he at the Jewel and followed her out of the store? Or was he perhaps getting gas saw her and followed her. I hope LE is able to re interview any employees they interviewed when this first occured. I can't help but wonder if any would recognize the 80's photos of the perp.

Wonder how many others he has assaulted and/or killed?

Thank you for the welcome, Cubby!

Both myself and my partner grew up in the Chicagoland area, very close to where this crime was committed, so this case is of particular interest to me. I really do hope that they caught the right man and that the Wesselman family can finally find closure, I just have my doubts since DuPage County Sheriffs Office (and specifically Sheriff Zaruba) has been known for severe police corruption and coercion in the past (like what happened in the case of Jeanine Nicarico. I respectfully cut and pasted this from the Wiki article regarding her murder: "Seven DuPage County law enforcement officials, three prosecutors and four deputies, were indicted by a grand jury in December 1996 on charges of conspiracy to convict Cruz despite being aware of exculpatory evidence. After numerous proceedings, in June 1999 all seven had been acquitted for framing the men.[1][3]"). Even in Kristina Wesselman's case there has been a lawsuit filed by a suspect Dana Henry, claiming he was coerced by DuPage County Sheriffs Office into providing blood and saliva samples.

There was also mention of a man named Wilson Willis, who apparently bothered the family so much with information about the murder that they had to file a restraining order against him. I looked into that further, and found the website MrTT posted on this thread earlier, http://dupagecountycoldcase.blogspot.com/?m=1

At first glance it appears to be a site run by the DuPage County Cold Case unit, but it is actually run by a private investigation firm. I believe that Wilson Willis paid for the firm to set this site up, as he thought there was a connection between the crimes posted. In one post on that site, there is a video of Wilson Willis himself, talking about the Kristina Wesselman murder, and about a POI named Alan, who worked at some Elk Grove industrial complex. I have no idea how reliable this information is, but Mr. Willis was sure convinced that there was DuPage County corruption involved. If you Google his full name "Wilson Earl Willis", you can find tons of blogs and websites he posted on, trying to get someone to take him seriously. I am curious if anything he said had any validity to it. Here is a link to the page with said video: http://dupagecountycoldcase.blogspot.com/2010/09/25-year-old-du-page-county-murder.html?m=1

I made the connection from the blogspot page to Wilson Earl Willis because on the site, there are links on the right-hand side. The middle link is to Paxon High School, class of 1965. If you go there and click on the "Fallen Eagles" link, scroll down and you will see the memorial to Mr. Wilson, who passed on March 8th, 2012. http://paxon65.com/Fallen_Eagles.html

It just seems so odd that Michael Jones would have been in Glen Ellyn, on that path that nobody knew about unless they lived there. That there was no struggle.. it just doesn't add up in my head. I feel like there may be something more to this case, perhaps DuPage County Sheriffs Office is involved somehow, I don't know.

Cubby, do I sound nuts? I am new to sleuthing, so maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree. Like I said, I do hope they arrested the right man, and that the family can finally find closure, just due to the history of the DuPage County Sheriffs department of incarcerating the wrong men numerous times, I am wary to believe just yet.

I could be wrong, but I think things have changed in DuPage since the 90's. There seems to be some anti LE sentiment online regarding DCSO and that happens everywhere. Personally, I wrote Wiĺlie Wilson off as a nut job some time ago. One of the msm articles stated LE did investigate WW's claims but could't substantiate them.

I think they have the right guy. DNA is irrefutable. His parents once lived in Schiller Park. The intersection where this happened is near The Arboretum and not far from what is now 88 and back in 85 was I-5. I think it was a chance meeting where he stopped for gas, food at McD's and saw her and then followed her.

I've been in contact with the cold case detectives in DuPage on a different case and have the utmost faith in them.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Amakur
Back