IL - Krystal Tobias, 9, & Laura Hobbs, 8, found dead in Zion park, 8 May 2005 - #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Golfmom - I agree about the grandpa. Laura's grandparents remind me of Jessica Lunsford's grandparents - and they were in kind of the same situation - taking in their son/daughter and kids in their twilight years, and helping out raise the family. The salt of the earth, a stable working class couple.

I don't think he's still supporting Hobbs NOW, is he? I don't blame him for supporting him in the beginning, that just shows what kind of character the grandpa is - a good guy, who doesn't see bad in people.

LovelyPigeon said:
However Sheila Hollabaugh grew up, she's an adult now and must be responsible for herself and what she does and doesn't do --that is, if she's has sufficient mental capacity.
I understand that...but when people grow up in an abusive situation it becomes the "norm" for them...doesn't make it right, but it is a fact in many cases. It's a vicious cycle and I wish there was something we could do to stop it....I think education and awareness are key....but I've known abused women before and seen how they will make excuses and not leave the situation. It's almost like their brain is wired to think it IS normal to live this way.

ETA, I'm not saying Sheila grew up in an abusive home, just wondering if that's the case...and if it's so it would explain why she was more accepting of Hobbs.

The blame in this case belongs to the sub-human being that committed this awful crime. Personally, I hope they do seek the death penalty, as I take joy in knowing IL death row is empty, meaning there will not be a back-log of inmates waiting for appeals. He should be able to get his appeals completed rather quickly, and have the sentence carried out.

KatherineQ said:
Golfmom - I agree about the grandpa. Laura's grandparents remind me of Jessica Lunsford's grandparents - and they were in kind of the same situation - taking in their son/daughter and kids in their twilight years, and helping out raise the family. The salt of the earth, a stable working class couple.

I don't think he's still supporting Hobbs NOW, is he? I don't blame him for supporting him in the beginning, that just shows what kind of character the grandpa is - a good guy, who doesn't see bad in people.

Katherine, we just haven't had a news about how the family is reacting now. The quotes were taken before the arrest and before police explained what was going on to the family. So far what I'm seeing is exactly what you've observed. All I know is that both families are in my prayers.

Timex said:
The blame in this case belongs to the sub-human being that committed this awful crime. Personally, I hope they do seek the death penalty, as I take joy in knowing IL death row is empty, meaning there will not be a back-log of inmates waiting for appeals. He should be able to get his appeals completed rather quickly, and have the sentence carried out.

I'm torn Timex, general population might be ... uuhhhhh ... a more fitting punishment.

In hindsight I'm sure the mother wishes she had never seen Jerry Hobbs again! I doubt that she expected anything like this to happen. I'm sure that she's blaming herself enough so I don't feel the need to add anything to that unbearable heap. If I was able to turn the clock back I'm sure that I would have made some better choices in my life that may have affected my children as well. Fortunately they turned out fantastic because of and in spite of me. I'm sticking with directing all my anger and blame at JH for now. My :twocents:

Read the quotes, read the links. I posted this already.

Laura Hobbs' grandfather told ABC 7 that authorities are "railroading" Hobbs and using him as a scapegoat.

http://www.nbc5.com/news/4470143/detail.html?z=dp&dpswid=2265994&dppid=65172

"Jerry just got out of prison for aggravated assault and I think they're holding that against him," Hollabaugh said. "I don't think he did it."

Grandpa says "I don't think he did it."

Perhaps I am wrong, but I believe "It" refers to murder, double murder. The second link indicates the interview was on Tuesday.

lady-eowyn said:
Regarding FAS:

Image53.gif

http://www.wctu.org/fas_-_worth_it_.html

Thanks for the link. interesting.... He may be suffering from another deformity or disfunction caused by fetal damage or it may be genetic, but one does not have to display all of the symtoms to have FAS. What ever the cause, he certainly doesn't display much in the department of impulse control. His name is Jerry Branton Hobbs III.........I wonder what his legacy is. What is his family like and how was he raised. NOT that any of this excuses what he has done! He should fry! I'm just wondering how this type of person evolves.

PsychesKnot said:
Read the quotes, read the links. I posted this already.

http://www.nbc5.com/news/4470143/detail.html?z=dp&dpswid=2265994&dppid=65172

Grandpa says "I don't think he did it."

Perhaps I am wrong, but I believe "It" refers to murder, double murder. The second link indicates the interview was on Tuesday.

I heard these quotes early yesterday when the press was speculating. I'm sure the family was being hounded and sources inside LE were leaking and pressing the family for answers.

"Hollabaugh's father, Arthur Hollabaugh, who recounted the details of the couple's history before Hobbs was charged with the murders Tuesday evening, said things had seemed to be going smoothly for once." NBC5

Wow, I don't think this has anything to do with forty-dollars, or little Laura being grounded. Like someone mentioned earlier, the guy was a ticking time bomb. Looking back at this guys track record, how can he of all people have the cajones to try to teach his daughter right from wrong? I mean the guys a walking contradiction. In my opinion, I think he would have used any excuse to go all ape- like he did. This has nothing to do with parenting, or him being angry at Laura and Krystal for being out together. He's evil, simple as that. :mad:

OMGosh05 said:
Wow, I don't think this has anything to do with forty-dollars, or little Laura being grounded. Like someone mentioned earlier, the guy was a ticking time bomb. Looking back at this guys track record, how can he of all people have the cajones to try to teach his daughter right from wrong? I mean the guys a walking contradiction. In my opinion, I think he would have used any excuse to go all ape- like he did. This has nothing to do with parenting, or him being angry at Laura and Krystal for being out together. He's evil, simple as that. :mad:

There is an irony here that he couldn't even follow the *discipline* given to him from the state of Texas ...

Krystal & Laura received a death sentence over $40 and JH got a slap on the wrist after chasing neighbors around with a chainsaw.

OMGosh05 said:
...This has nothing to do with parenting, or him being angry at Laura and Krystal for being out together. He's evil, simple as that. :mad:
You are right. This guy is a poor excuse for a human, much less a father. He probably didn't even have a job. As another poster pointed out, this guy never supported his kids. Who is he to set up rules for that family?

He was probably pissed that Laura took $40 that he intended to use for drugs or alcohol, if the truth be known. :rolleyes:

nanandjim said:
You are right. This guy is a poor excuse for a human, much less a father. He probably didn't even have a job. As another poster pointed out, this guy never supported his kids. Who is he to set up rules for that family?

He was probably pissed that Laura took $40 that he intended to use for drugs or alcohol, if the truth be known. :rolleyes:

I heard that he was having *trouble* finding a job because he couldn't get a State I.D. card. :doh:

golfmom said:
I heard that he was having *trouble* finding a job because he couldn't get a State I.D. card. :doh:

Yeah right. There are lots of jobs out there. The problem is that most of them are minimum wage and can't support a family or materialistic "needs". Someone like Hobbs, though, is not in a position to be picky. I'm sure he thought he was too good to be cleaning up after others. He should have taken whatever was available.

Convicted felons aren't the most popular hirees, either. Hobbs record getting longer and more varied under investigation by the media:

In 1990 in Texas, Hobbs was convicted of aggravated assault with a weapon and spent 60 days in jail, according to records from the Texas Department of Public Safety.

Other arrests over the years included another assault, two separate incidents of possessing small amounts of marijuana, twice driving on a suspended license, resisting arrest, evading arrest and failing to identify a fugitive from justice. In most cases, he paid a fine or spent a few nights in jail.

Hobbs also was convicted in Florida in 1996 for domestic battery and given one year of probation, according to records from the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Mike Edmondson, a Palm Beach County state attorney spokesman, did not know details of the case but said Hobbs violated his probation and a warrant was issued for his arrest.
- http://www.nbc5.com/news/4473943/detail.html

Yep ... OMGosh05: Hobbs is a dangerous loose cannon who was just LOOKING for that opportunity to explode. Rage, rage uncontrollable rage. Ignited by drugs and booze; resentment toward women and children ~ and *anyone* who dared to criticize him. A person with zero respect for LE. Basically a brazen, horribly cruel and arrogant bully.

The fact these little girls were stabbed AND beaten leads me to believe that Laura had seen, experienced and felt the wrath of her .... own father prior to Mother's Day. Can just see him waltzing around like a crazed lunatic threatening 'just the kind of stuff' he'd been subjected to and survived, while in prison. I also agree with the poster who felt he blamed his (ex ?) spouse and took it out on the kids.

And wierd that grandpa was supporting him initially ....

What I just don't understand is why a family thinks a person like Hobbs will or even can just make a "fresh start" just by being given another chance. Does it not occur to them that he should make that fresh start FIRST, then possibly be allowed back into the family? First, get a job, keep it, make child support, stay out of trouble, THEN and only then be considered to be turning over that new leaf.

LovelyPigeon said:
What I just don't understand is why a family thinks a person like Hobbs will or even can just make a "fresh start" just by being given another chance. Does it not occur to them that he should make that fresh start FIRST, then possibly be allowed back into the family? First, get a job, keep it, make child support, stay out of trouble, THEN and only then be considered to be turning over that new leaf.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
EXACTLY!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads