IL IL - Lane Bryant Murders, Tinley Park, 2 Feb 2008

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Yes there was two ways in, marketplace road and frontage road.

Interesting article, especially the part about Mokena ramp search. Wonder what lead them to search that area. As far as ponds I'm not sure, you'd think they would be frozen over at that time of year. I do remember a pond across the target parking lot, if you were facing petsmart. It's like a small retention pond.

Also that was the first I heard about his finger print on the door although I'm not sure how they can claim it's his. It's a store door and a lot of people would have left finger prints on the door...
Either way would put him on 191. It’s pretty easy to turn right on 191 especially if you’re on marketplace. Not sure if the light was at the frontage road entrance then, but he may have taken a right to avoid sitting at the light. If he took marketplace on the way out he may have taken a right just because he didn’t want to wait on traffic. I’d think the quickest way out of the shopping center would be to take marketplace to 191 and then make a right if traffic was coming.

True, he could have taken a right on 191st and headed to Lagrange, took a right and jumped on I-80. If that was the case then I would have to believe he is a local and would have to know the area. Maybe from Joliet..

Doubt if you would know you can also get on I-80 from Lagrange instead of Harlem unless you had local knowledge. Its at least a couple of miles away. Someone not familiar with the area would automatically jump onto Harlem to get to the Interstate as it is in eye sight.

But that would make sense that they searched that ramp as well, if that is the ramp they are talking about. I'm sure there are several ponds along 191st headed towards Lagrange as well.

A tidbit I just remembered is that I've read several articles, I believe from the Trib that the survivor "Martha" lived in Mokena and both her and her sister were put into protective custody after it happened.

Did LE have a reason to believe there was a connection between Martha and the killer thus believed he headed west towards Lagrange and this is why they searched those areas?

jbirner, A little of subject but similar in some ways.... I don't know how long you've lived in the Tampa Bay area but maybe you would remember.

Back in spring of 1992 in Brandon two employees were shot in the Pizza Hut after closing. I remember how that whole thing scared the hell out of me. Do you know if that crime was ever solved?

Lane Bryant shooting motive still a mystery

There is an article confirming that they have fingerprint and dna evidence and that it hasn’t had a hit yet. I’ve been reading over this thread (bored at home due to the weather) and I saw a few recent posts wondering if they had dna.

As far as the fingerprint on the door, maybe it had gunpowder residue and/or blood too. Maybe they know it’s his because they have the shells and/or delivery papers.

Thanks for that article. They always seem to be dancing around the DNA thing.

I hear what your saying about the weather, I'm in complete cabin fever mode here. But wait, its supposed to be in the 50's on Saturday. That's like a 75 degree increase!

Lived here a very long time, 1978 to be exact. I don't remember that case, but I was in the military serving in California at the time. I tried googling it but couldn't find anything there either. Some crimes get more coverage here than others.

I agree about the dancing around the DNA. Maybe they are on someones trail waiting for him to leave behind something. I have a gut feeling sooner than later we are going to get answers on this case. He will slip up again. I did think for a time that Martha might be involved but over time I believe that if she did, they would have found something. Knowing what they have as physical evidence.

Again, small world. I was in the Army from 1981-1985, mostly in Darmstadt Germany.

I'll do a little search on the net tomorrow on the Pizza Hut murders in Brandon. It is the one on Brandon Blvd (60) and Valrico Rd. Not sure if it's still there. I think the girl who was killed was named Lisa and the guy was Steve or Stephen. Spring of 1992. It was all over the news most of that year. I had to drive by it almost everyday for work, creeped me out!

I don't think I could ever go into the old Lane Bryant store which is now TJ Max..

I've pretty much stayed away from talking about Martha because there is really no "official" talk about her but there sure was a lot of mumbling around town about her. For a long time she was highly suspicious in the minds of folks around here and theories were flying high, so you are not alone in your thinking.

Of course her real name is not known publicly but what I do know just from putting different reports together is that she was a part time employee at Lane Bryant, a nursing student, lived in Mokena and parents in Kentucky. She remained on Lane Bryant's payroll for sometime and then was taken off. There was some kind of deal made and she was put back on the payroll.

I couldn't find much about Brandon Fl Pizza Hut murders. It doesn't' look like the case was ever solved much like Lane Bryant..

1992 Pizza Hut in Brandon murders:

https://fall.fsulawrc.com/flsupct/88301/88301ini.pdf

What I Owe

Man, Pizza Hut Settle Over Slaying

Last edited:
I don’t think Martha had anything to do with it either. Imo if she was connected to the suspect the police would have figured it out by now. Once 911 was called everything happened so fast so I think she just got lucky the bullet only grazed her.

I do think it’s weird that she was the only one on schedule for that morning. You’d think a store that size would always have at least 2 people working at any given time especially on a Saturday. It’s also weird to me that a part time employee was a key holder. She must have been since the manager wasn’t supposed to be there. I wonder who else was supposed to work that day and when they were supposed to arrive. I also wonder if the perp knew this store would be understaffed that morning.

Wow, not a whole lot of coverage for the Pizza Hut case. Surprised it's not on the HCSO cold case section. I will look for more on that case for sure.

For this case, I don't feel anymore that Martha was involved. She really got lucky. I would guess she was the last one he shot and was in such a hurry to get out of dodge that he didn't stop and make sure no living witnesses were left. I always wondered why RF was at the store if she wasn't scheduled to be. Usually when a store manager comes in unscheduled it is because someone called in sick or didn't show up. It is also possible that someone was running late that morning and she had to go in and open. We will probably never know the whole story there. I don't believe Martha had a key to the store. We know there was no security cameras, but I wonder if there was some sort of panic button in the store.

This is info I got from the crime garage. RM was not scheduled to work that day but because of a store promotion she went in. As I've talked about in earlier post this would mean a second person must have been scheduled to work that day.

This might all be debunked because LE says in interview that RM made the deposit before the store opened that morning. Therefore this tells me she was scheduled to work all along.

LE does describe Martha as an assistant manager. From that I would guess she would have a key.

So tomorrow will be 11 years. I wonder if the family will be out in front of the store in the morning as they have all of the previous years.

I don't watch the local news much anymore, its usually all about how many people were shot and killed in Chicago for the day but I'll try to watch tomorrow to see if LE comes out with new info for the public.

Please post if you hear anything new about this case from LE tomorrow....

So far no articles of any kind about the 11 year anniversary. Surprising because every year there is usually something written about the anniversary. Maybe this is a calm before a storm (arrest). We can only hope that's the case.

I hope your right...

Nothing on the local news all day long yet. I'll watch the 10:00 news tonight. I hate that there has been nothing. I hope that doesn't mean it has been shelved due to inactivity.

Crickets....unless it was on a different channel (not NBC). I watched all but 5 mintutes of news cast and saw nothing. Usually NBC runs a story every year.

And no articles either regarding anniversary. Like I said, I hope something is brewing and they are just keeping things close to the vest. Perhaps someday soon we will turn on the news and see a real mug shot of this guy. I'm glad we have heated this board up again. This thread was quiet for a long time.

I really thought there would be something, nothing on Sunday either.

I wonder if LE watches these types of websites and on the other hand I wonder who else watches them. If you know what I mean! What does LE have to loose? If I was LE and completely stuck I would take a look at what people are saying..

I know that the reward money of $100,000 is large but after 11 years and over a million dollars spent on this case wouldn't an increase in reward money to say $250,000 be worth a shot. Maybe this would nudge people who are aware of this guy to turn him in. Perhaps Lane Bryant could stand up to the plate and increase their share of the reward money to get this thing resolved.

I think of what you said (jbirner). Wouldn't it be great to wake up one day soon and see the real guy caught and see the real mug shot!!

It is just so hard to believe after 11 years and all of the advanced technology in the past couple of years that this has not been solved. Please LE, run this guys DNA through the ancestry DNA data bases to see if there is a familial match somewhere.

I was disappointed that there wasn’t anything on the anniversary. They either dropped the ball because of the weather last week, have a good lead, or have shelved it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rwiz
Back