GUILTY IL - Laquan McDonald, 17, fatally shot, Chicago PD charged, 20 Oct 2014 -J. VanDyke GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm sorry. I don't mean all white people because obviously some do, but more white people need to care before it will be deemed newsworthy by the media.

Let's consider why you're trying to change the subject.

Did you read the article I linked to? You might find some answers if you do.

Yeah, I find the overall reluctance to discuss institutional violence troubling.

In my opinion, It is not 'changing the subject' to discuss the out of control violence in the inner city. It is a big part of the same issue. WHY do cops tend to use force when they see a young black male coming down the street with a knife or gun? Is there a reason they react forcefully besides the claims by the activists that the cops are all secret KKK members? Could there be more to it than that?

I think both issues are intrinsically tied together.

Interestingly, NYC has observed a decrease in violent crime alongside their recent decrease in stop-and-frisk. So, it appears violent policing doesn't reduce crime. But, to address your question of why: if the police are racially profiling people, and adjusting the violence of their response to the color of the citizen's skin, that is indeed racism, and a problem. Klan membership or no. All Americans have the right to be treated fairly and equally under our laws and by our law enforcement.

In many police cases, Rahm Emanuel administration chooses secrecy
MSNBC
12/10/15 02:44 PM—UPDATED 12/10/15 10:08 PM
By Ari Melber and Safia Samee Ali

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/many-pol...r-rahm-emanuel-administration-chooses-secrecy

“The crisis facing Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel shows no sign of abating, with protesters rejecting his new apology for police shootings and some state legislators proposing a plan to recall the mayor.

Beyond Emanuel’s recent firing of police leaders, critics say the city needs more systemic reform to address the secrecy, cover-ups and lax accountability that define police oversight in the city. As for transparency policies, a new MSNBC review of police misconduct cases finds Chicago officials routinely maximize secrecy – going far beyond what the law requires, and pursuing arrangements to keep evidence secret when settling cases with victims of police brutality.

In the dispute that began the current firestorm, for example, Chicago paid $5 million to the family of Laquan McDonald, the 17-year-old shot 16 times by police last year. That settlement deal did not simply avoid a public lawsuit, however, it also required the crucial video of the shooting remain secret.”​

Good article.

Includes a link to the Release and Settlement Agreement - LaQuan McDonald

Yeah, I find the overall reluctance to discuss institutional violence troubling.

Interestingly, NYC has observed a decrease in violent crime alongside their recent decrease in stop-and-frisk. So, it appears violent policing doesn't reduce crime. But, to address your question of why: if the police are racially profiling people, and adjusting the violence of their response to the color of the citizen's skin, that is indeed racism, and a problem. Klan membership or no. All Americans have the right to be treated fairly and equally under our laws and by our law enforcement.

Are you sure about the crime rate decreasing in NYC?

<modsnip>

Bloody weekend in NYC puts rising murder rate in spotlight

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...olice-tactics-and-new-drug-epidemic/72570068/

EXCLUSIVE: Huge drop in stop-and-frisk as NYC crime increases raises fear that cops are reluctant to confront criminals

A dramatic drop in stop-and-frisk encounters has emboldened criminals and made cops more reluctant to take proactive police action, even as murders and shootings are on the rise in the city.

The frightening message &#8212; echoed by police supervisors and union leaders &#8212; comes as stop-and-frisk encounters are on pace to plunge by 42% this year, with 20,000 fewer street stops.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...-and-frisk-criminals-bolder-article-1.2247406

RSBM

From Should Black Lives Matter Focus on 'Black-on-Black' Murders?

And the lack of accountability for agents of the state who abuse power in this way creates a circumstance in which people are basically terrorized. They may fear victimization by their neighbor, and the fear may be quite real. That's one thing. But victimization by the people whose salaries you pay with your tax money and who are supposedly there to serve and protect you, agents of the state, the fear of victimization by them is quite another thing altogether. It's a different order of violation.

From About ‘Black-on-Black Crime’

When the people who are supposed to protect everybody show an undeniable propensity to kill one group of people more than others (black men aged 15 to 19 are twenty-one times more likely to be shot by police than their white counterparts), that inevitably raises the question of discrimination. Our taxes don’t pay to support black criminals in their pursuit of black victims; they are currently going to support police in the shooting of black people.

When black people kill other black people, families and communities seek justice. When there are eyewitnesses, videos and forensic evidence, they want investigations, arrests, indictments, trials and convictions. They also want the punishment to be proportionate to the crime. They want no less when a policeman is the killer. In reality, they get far less. In fact, they get nothing. There is no punishment because, apparently, there was no crime.

IMO attempts to change the subject are most often attempts to shut down the conversation or to twist it in order to justify the systemic racism within law enforcement.

RSBM

From Should Black Lives Matter Focus on 'Black-on-Black' Murders?

When the people who are supposed to protect everybody show an undeniable propensity to kill one group of people more than others (black men aged 15 to 19 are twenty-one times more likely to be shot by police than their white counterparts), that inevitably raises the question of discrimination. Our taxes don’t pay to support black criminals in their pursuit of black victims; they are currently going to support police in the shooting of black people.
When black people kill other black people, families and communities seek justice. When there are eyewitnesses, videos and forensic evidence, they want investigations, arrests, indictments, trials and convictions. They also want the punishment to be proportionate to the crime. They want no less when a policeman is the killer. In reality, they get far less. In fact, they get nothing. There is no punishment because, apparently, there was no crime.

IMO attempts to change the subject are most often attempts to shut down the conversation or to twist it in order to justify the systemic racism within law enforcement.

BBM

So the reason that so many young black men are killed by LE is because of discrimination by LE? Any proof or evidence of that assumption. Because I think there are other reasons that seem more likely. For example, the majority of gun violence, carjackings, gang violence, takes place in the inner city and is perpetrated by young black males. That is where the cops are DISPATCHED to. Could that be the reason they get in more lethal force struggles with young black males, as opposed to 'discrimination?'

Calling it 'systematic racism' ignores the valid statistical evidence. The inner city gangs are perpetrating much of the violence. It is not 'discriminatory' on the cop's part to arrest young black males if they are the perpetrators.

BBM

So the reason that so many young black men are killed by LE is because of discrimination by LE? Any proof or evidence of that assumption. Because I think there are other reasons that seem more likely. For example, the majority of gun violence, carjackings, gang violence, takes place in the inner city and is perpetrated by young black males. That is where the cops are DISPATCHED to. Could that be the reason they get in more lethal force struggles with young black males, as opposed to 'discrimination?'

Calling it 'systematic racism' ignores the valid statistical evidence. The inner city gangs are perpetrating much of the violence. It is not 'discriminatory' on the cop's part to arrest young black males if they are the perpetrators.

I can somewhat agree. Stop and frisk does help deter violence in a urban district more than a basic suburban district.

But. What's up with 16 shots from a big gun to a suspect whom was basically and totally disabled after the first shot.

Now home owners are allowed to defend their homes. But if you shoot an invader 16 times. You will be possibly looked at and may be prosecuted if the DA feels like pushing things further. Jmo

But a cop that is standing there with other cops while shooting a knife suspect that is standing 15ft away 16 times.

Should definitely be held more accountable then a home owner whom were by themselves and half dressed that emptied a clip in a suspect at 3am. Jmo.

Its too bad some people don't bother to actually read some of the excellent articles that get posted in these threads.

I found The Nation article especially relevant to this case and to Emanuel's current handling of the situation. In his most recent speech, when he tried to blame the black community itself, I knew that the poor guy really doesn't have clue as to what 'the black people' are saying.

His only hope, imo, is to listen to the people.

Its too bad some people don't bother to actually read some of the excellent articles that get posted in these threads.

I found The Nation article especially relevant to this case and to Emanuel's current handling of the situation. In his most recent speech, when he tried to blame the black community itself, I knew that the poor guy really doesn't have clue as to what 'the black people' are saying.

Lol. He is the mayor if a city that has been having a high murder rate since the 70s.

So if he hasn't figured out how to solve this problem yet without losing votes; Then he obviously doesn't know how to walk the fine line. Jmo.

Get him out of there.

Lol. He is the mayor if a city that has been having a high murder rate since the 70s.

So if he hasn't figured out how to solve this problem yet without losing votes; Then he obviously doesn't know how to walk the fine line. Jmo.

Get him out of there.

There's been several mayors since the 70's and none of them have lowered the murder rate, but is that the mayor's job? For a large city the murder rate is actually not all that large.
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/top-lists/highest-murder-rate-cities/
http://www.neighborhoodscout.com/neighborhoods/crime-rates/top100dangerous/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_cities_by_crime_rate_(2014)

Did I miss something? Where are the protestors in the high crime neighborhoods on the west and south sides?

The Nation article is a hoot. Lots of complex excuses and deflection. One quote in particular stood out to me:

"Black people don't have a monopoly on crime, the police do."

Is that a valid statement? Who kills and injures more community members? Gang members or the police?

Some in City Hall Were Aware of Laquan McDonald Dashcam Video 2 Months After Shooting: Emails
By Carol Marin and Don Moseley
NBC Chicago

“E-mails obtained by NBC Chicago through a Freedom of Information Act request show the City Hall press office was made aware of the possibility of a Laquan McDonald dash cam video on Dec. 8, 2014, two months after the teen was shot 16 times by a Chicago police officer.”

“Emanuel spokeswoman Shannon Breymaier was part of an e-mail chain questioning whether the city could release video of the shooting. A top assistant in the corporation counsel’s office replied, “This is not a lawsuit as of now.””

“Top press aides Kelly Quinn and Adam Collins were also part of an e-mail chain on Feb. 10, 2015, which included an article by freelance reporter Jamie Kalven which first reported the autopsy results and wrote: “the account…given by police cannot be true.””​

Article with video.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/investiga...-Shooting-Emails-361342841.html#ixzz3u3Va3CBx

What were they supposed to do? It happened within seconds.

How about not altering evidence (video from nearby business) and speaking out about the truth of what happened after the fact.

IMO

The complicated, short life of Laquan McDonald

McDonald knew the gritty truth about his life and all its jagged edges. Sadly, the odds of survival were stacked against him from the time he was born until one month after his 17th birthday, when an encounter with Chicago police ended with the teen lying in a city street, his body riddled with 16 bullet wounds.

Many in Laquan McDonald's life recall a jokester who could make them laugh until they cried, a kid who liked to give everyone a hug. They nicknamed him "Bun Bun" back when he was a chubby little boy. By his teenage years, he had grown slim and tall, at 6-foot-2, and liked to rap. He had tattoos on each of his hands, one reading "Good Son" and the other a pair of dice and the acronym "YOLO" — "You only live once."

In fourth grade in late 2007, he was expelled after he was accused of throwing a chair at his teacher, according to records. "I'll kill you, (expletive)," he allegedly said.

He began receiving special education services soon after, reports said, but disruptive and aggressive behavior, along with truancies and suspensions, became a common theme for him, stymieing his progress in the half-dozen or so schools that followed.

Seven of his police arrests between 2012 and 2014 resulted in juvenile court cases, nearly all involving possession of small amounts of drugs. He was placed on long periods of intensive probation, often with electronic monitoring, mandatory school, community service, outpatient mental health services, drug treatment and in-home therapy.

McDonald is buried in a Forest Park cemetery. His great-grandmother and an older male relative killed in Chicago gunfire three months after McDonald are laid to rest there as well.

Much more at the link.

700x394

http://www.trbimg.com/img-566b42c0/turbine/ct-laquan-mcdonald-grave-20151211/700/700x394

16 shots only takes seconds when one is being rapidly slaughtered. Jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandrz717
Back