IL IL - Lee Cutler, 18, Buffalo Grove, Oct 2007

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I rewatched the Disappeared episode on Netflix last night. One thing I see is a lot of reaching by his mom and her PI friend to find an alternative other than suicide. My heart breaks for his family and friends but I think he went in the river and the body was just never found. I am not sure on the cadaver dogs.

Having struggled for most of my life with depression and having had past times where I was suicidal, I can say the biggest misconceptions I see from family and friends in cases like Lee's is the idea that the person loved their family and friends too much to kill themself and hurt those they loved. I got that feeling watching that episode that Mom and friends all believed he cared about them too much to do it but the reality is when your brain chemistry is altered so badly by depression that you're thinking of ending it, your mind starts to lie to you that no one will care if you're gone. At least that is what happened to me. If it's what happened to Lee then it's not something he could have helped. For me it took the right combination of medication to make it go away to where I could think rationally again. Counseling and therapy did very little for me but maybe for some people it helps. I was bothered by the reaction to his previous suicide attempt from his mom. I am not sure why but I felt like it just didn't seem like a big deal but then it is tv so very hard to say. Was he medicated at all for the depression after the suicide attempt?

I hope his body is found to give his family closure.

I rewatched the Disappeared episode on Netflix last night. One thing I see is a lot of reaching by his mom and her PI friend to find an alternative other than suicide. My heart breaks for his family and friends but I think he went in the river and the body was just never found. I am not sure on the cadaver dogs.

Having struggled for most of my life with depression and having had past times where I was suicidal, I can say the biggest misconceptions I see from family and friends in cases like Lee's is the idea that the person loved their family and friends too much to kill themself and hurt those they loved. I got that feeling watching that episode that Mom and friends all believed he cared about them too much to do it but the reality is when your brain chemistry is altered so badly by depression that you're thinking of ending it, your mind starts to lie to you that no one will care if you're gone. At least that is what happened to me. If it's what happened to Lee then it's not something he could have helped. For me it took the right combination of medication to make it go away to where I could think rationally again. Counseling and therapy did very little for me but maybe for some people it helps. I was bothered by the reaction to his previous suicide attempt from his mom. I am not sure why but I felt like it just didn't seem like a big deal but then it is tv so very hard to say. Was he medicated at all for the depression after the suicide attempt?

I hope his body is found to give his family closure.

You make good points. I too believe he committed suicide. Also, having struggled with depression in the past, I sometimes felt my family would be better off without me. Committing suicide doesn't mean a person doesn't love their family. It just means life became too painful for them.

Hi all,

New to this forum but have been reading the threads for a few days. I watched Disappeared earlier today and this case was featured. I just wanted to offer my thoughts really and to discuss what I think happened.

I honestly fail to see that there is any foul play in this case and honestly believe thats its a tragic suicide. My instinct is that Lee's bod is there somewhere, perhaps he was disorientated and got lost. I think he definitely intended to take his own life and I don't think there is a solution to this case. It's extremely sad and I wish there was a happy ending but I think not.

I think in all likelihood his body will one day be found, probably somewhere in the river.

Hi all,

New to this forum but have been reading the threads for a few days. I watched Disappeared earlier today and this case was featured. I just wanted to offer my thoughts really and to discuss what I think happened.

I honestly fail to see that there is any foul play in this case and honestly believe thats its a tragic suicide. My instinct is that Lee's bod is there somewhere, perhaps he was disorientated and got lost. I think he definitely intended to take his own life and I don't think there is a solution to this case. It's extremely sad and I wish there was a happy ending but I think not.

I think in all likelihood his body will one day be found, probably somewhere in the river.

:wave: kaieshapage!

:wagon: to Websleuths!

Hi all,

I believe he's there too. If not in the water then somewhere in the woods. A number of times we see on the news that a person's remains are found years later in the general area where they went missing.

Tuesday, May 27, 2014:

12:00 PM 60 MIN.

Disappeared (Season 1)
A Lost Soul
TV-PG CC

Lee Cutler is the universally loved high school senior who disappears after dropping off his best friend on a cool autumn morning. The search involves police officers across 2 states, underwater divers, and a nationwide watch.

http://www.investigationdiscovery.com/tv-shows/tv-schedule.htm

Wow. Universally loved. In other words, he was what whomever he was with wanted him to be at that moment. How exhausting. I've seen the Disappeared episode more than once but those words just hit me on this thread right now. Universally loved. Like Paul McCartney, the Pope, Elvis Presley. That is way too much pressure for one 18 year old HS student.

This case is so sad wish he could be found so he and everyone else could have some peace

I think this was a suicide as well.

http://www.mbpost.com/northern-kettle-moraine-state-forest/262178

In his Disappeared episode, it was speculated that he may have been traveling with someone since he paid the in-state resident fee. I was reading a Reddit thread about Lee and someone posted a link for the website above. Assuming this is the relevant pricing information, a resident of Wisconsin had to pay $4 for a daily pass. I'm guessing a non-resident had to pay $7 back in 2007.

The only reason I bring this up is because this small detail of him paying the in-state resident fee (reported on the show as $7 and not $4) gave me some belief that he may have met someone that was helping him. Or someone could have harmed him. However if the pricing thing on that website is true than I guess it was just a mistake by the PI.

I hope his mom receives closure, her desperate plea for him was very hard to watch.

There is a facebook page for him and it's interesting, but comments on a recent post hint at the fact there might be updated news on his case. (The group is called let's find lee)

This one bothers me because he's close to my age. I really hope his family and friends find answers he seems like a good natured person.

There is a facebook page for him and it's interesting, but comments on a recent post hint at the fact there might be updated news on his case. (The group is called let's find lee)

This one bothers me because he's close to my age. I really hope his family and friends find answers he seems like a good natured person.

I wonder why they can't share what is happening?!

I wonder why they can't share what is happening?!

i saw that also hope something new does turn up this case has always really bothered me also. It really sticks with me maybe bc it is the only case i have actually submitted with a possible unidentified (obviously it wasnt a match) but i really wish he could be found

I can say the biggest misconceptions I see from family and friends in cases like Lee's is the idea that the person loved their family and friends too much to kill themself and hurt those they loved.
This makes perfect sense to me. If you're at such a dark place that you're willing to kill yourself, not for some cause but just because you can't bear to go on, I would not expect you to be worried about other people's needs at that time.

Wow. Universally loved. In other words, he was what whomever he was with wanted him to be at that moment. How exhausting.
Maybe that's the case, but I think this is just a platitude people offer for someone who died, disappeared, or committed suicide who was a good person. If someone close to me disappeared, I might easily discount the few cases of people they didn't get along with and focus on the positive traits, "He had no significant enemies or involvement with anything dangerous. He was universally loved." This does not mean the person required universal approval. It just means he a good guy and losing him is tragic.

Happy New Year, Lee :heartbeat: :earth:

I saw a copy of Into The Wild today... it was like a rush of thoughts all the way back to Lee.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back