IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 *wife arrested* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
As it turns out, the struggle evidence was the trail of items of his found in different places, according to Filenko...his glasses, baton, pepper spray and a shell casing.... strange way to describe a struggle, if I do say so myself.....JMO....(it was also the evidence that made the scene look staged..)

yes, the dropping bread crumb drill.

Local Chicago MSM have gathered in Fox Lake again. First Fox Lake Village Board meeting since the incident is happening right now.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/fox-lake-village-board-meeting-underway/1078151/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Tonight's agenda found here: http://www.foxlake.org/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/1084

Nothing too relevant, other than potentially: "Possible motion pertaining to Personnel and Threatened Litigation".

They limit their Audience Comments to Agenda Items Only, so not sure how much of a voice on anything JG-related the audience will have.

That said, several tweets by media about the mayor and the Bears San Diego trip.

[video=twitter;664241472540033024]https://twitter.com/craigrwall/status/664241472540033024[/video]

I've been reading some Illinois police blogs. The comments seems to illustrate that most police knew from the start that this was a suicide.

I stood at Maravelas parking lot and watched the procession go by on that scorching day. I had blue tape across my rear window. I'm just saddened by the outcome because his death brought together the committee. But in the end, I feel duped because turned out to be another Illinois crook. And we have our share of them.

Welcome to WS Biblioteka! :welcome:

A couple of the local MSM interviewed the interim Fox Lake police chief, Michael Keller. Looks like it was just prior to the village board meeting going on.

[video]http://up.anv.bz/latest/anvload.html?key=eyJtIjoiY2JzIiwicCI6ImRlZmF1bHQiL CJ2IjoiMzMxODU4NyIsInBsdWdpbnMiOnsiaGVhcnRiZWF0Ijp 7ImFjY291bnQiOiJjYnNsb2NhbC1nbG9iYWwtdW5pZmllZCxjY nNsb2NhbC1zdGF0aW9uLWNoaWNhZ28tY2hpY2Fnby11bmlmaWV kLGNic2xvY2FsLXN1YnByaW1hcnktc3d0di11bmlmaWVkLGNic 2xvY2FsLW1hcmtldC1jaGljYWdvLXVuaWZpZWQiLCJwdWJsaXN oZXJJZCI6ImNic2xvY2FsIiwiam9iSWQiOiJzY192YSIsIm1hc mtldGluZ0Nsb3VkSWQiOiI4MjNCQTAzMzU1Njc0OTdGN0YwMDA xMDFAQWRvYmVPcmciLCJ0cmFja2luZ1NlcnZlciI6ImhlYXJ0Y mVhdHMub210cmRjLm5ldCIsImN1c3RvbVRyYWNraW5nU2VydmV yIjoiY2JzZGlnaXRhbG1lZGlhLmQxLnNjLm9tdHJkYy5uZXQif SwiY29tc2NvcmUiOnsiY2xpZW50SWQiOiIzMDAwMDIzIiwiYzM iOiJDaGljYWdvLmNic2xvY2FsLmNvbSJ9LCJkZnAiOnsiY2xpZ W50U2lkZSI6eyJhZFRhZ1VybCI6Imh0dHA6Ly9wdWJhZHMuZy5 kb3VibGVjbGljay5uZXQvZ2FtcGFkL2Fkcz9zej0yeDImaXU9L zQxMjgvY2JzLmNoaSZjaXVfc3pzJmltcGw9cyZnZGZwX3JlcT0 xJmVudj12cCZvdXRwdXQ9eG1sX3Zhc3QyJnVudmlld2VkX3Bvc 2l0aW9uX3N0YXJ0PTEmdXJsPVtyZWZlcnJlcl91cmxdJmRlc2N yaXB0aW9uX3VybD1bZGVzY3JpcHRpb25fdXJsXSZjb3JyZWxhd G9yPVt0aW1lc3RhbXBdIiwia2V5VmFsdWVzIjp7ImNhdGVnb3J pZXMiOiJbW0NBVEVHT1JJRVNdXSIsInByb2dyYW0iOiJbW1BST 0dSQU1fTkFNRV1dIiwic2l0ZVNlY3Rpb24iOiJmZWF0dXJlZCJ 9fX19LCJhbnZhY2siOiJhbnZhdG9fY2JzbG9jYWxfYXBwX3dlY l9wcm9kXzU0N2YzZTQ5MjQxZWYwZTVkMzBjNzliMmVmYmNhNWQ 5MmM2OThmNjcifQ[/video]
Four days after the death of Lieutenant Joe Gliniewicz, Lake County Sheriff's Detective Michael Keller was sworn in as interim Fox Lake police chief. He's now at the helm of a department reeling from scandal.

"There have been policies we've essentially gotten rid of, and there's procedures we've gotten rid of, and we're adopting best practices," Keller said.

Keller's predecessor was former Chief Michael Behan, who stepped aside days before Gliniewicz's suicide in the wake of an unrelated police brutality investigation.

It was under Behan's watch that investigators say Gliniewicz embezzled tens of thousands of dollars from the Police Explorers program.

ABC7's Eric Horng asks: "Should the previous leadership have known about this?"
Keller: "Yes. Absolutely. I think it starts at the top."
Horng: "Is Chief Behan culpable?"
Keller: "I think the public's already determined that."
Horng: "How does a guy like this get promoted?"
Keller: "I don't have an answer for that. I think if you look at any police organization, we as outside officers - and now I'm on the inside - we're all looking at this scratching our head."

In the wake of Gliniewicz's misconduct, the Lake County State's Attorney's office said it has been in contact with defense attorneys whose clients either pleaded guilty or were convicted in cases investigated by Gliniewicz.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/fox-lak...078151/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

FOX LAKE, Ill. (CBS) — The interim Fox Lake police chief stepped forward to answer tough questions about the death of Lieutenant Joe Gliniewicz and how it was handled. CBS 2’s Derrick Blakley was there as it all unfolded.
Michael Keller was brought in from the Lake County Sheriff’s office to clean up the mess in the Fox Lake Police Department four days after Lt. Joe Gliniewicz killed himself. He says police officers here feel just as double-crossed as the rest of the community.
“These officers feel betrayed,” said interim Chief Michael Keller. “It’s clear that Joe Gliniewicz did not represent all of the Fox Lake officers. He didn’t represent the Fox Lake community.”

“Joe Gliniewicz is an individual that never should have been on this police department,” Keller said. “He should have been gone a long time ago. Obviously, much of the information that did come out relative to his personnel file, I wasn’t aware that until it had come out. But he’s clearly and individual that they should have gotten rid of a long time ago.”
The fact that former chiefs did not, Keller says, calls their judgement into question.
“There’s many things I noticed on the outside that weren’t right,” Keller said. “The department was not run as a police department should have been run…There was no leadership and that’s something we brought to the Fox Lake Police Department.”
Speaking of leadership, Fox Lake Mayor Donny Schmit took in last night’s Bears game in San Diego along with former Police Chief Michael Behan.
It was Behan promoted Gliniewicz to lieutenant and resigned just before Gliniewicz’s suicide. Asked about the appearances of that, Keller said, you’ll have to ask the mayor.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/11...st&utm_campaign=projx_latest-stories_vph-news

Mmmm hmmmm, just as we mentioned before.... they better be looking at who either was convicted or set free while GI Joe was involved.

In the wake of Gliniewicz's misconduct, the Lake County State's Attorney's office said it has been in contact with defense attorneys whose clients either pleaded guilty or were convicted in cases investigated by Gliniewicz.
http://abc7chicago.com/news/fox-lake-village-board-meeting-underway/1078151/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Mmmm hmmmm, just as we mentioned before.... they better be looking at who either was convicted or set free while GI Joe was involved.

http://abc7chicago.com/news/fox-lak...078151/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Can of worms #16 has been opened. Should it be done? Yes. Will there continue to be taxpayer money spent on CG-related issues for years to come? Likely.

State's Attorney Michael Nerheim said he received a report Tuesday listing all of the cases in which Gliniewicz had been mentioned in police reports in any capacity.
The state's attorney's search turned up 13 Gliniewicz-related prosecutions resulting in convictions since 2008, and seven cases resulting in dismissal of charges since 2006, Nerheim said.

"We don't see these situations often, but I would say for the number of years he was a police officer, I would describe that as a low number," Nerheim said of the cases involving Gliniewicz that resulted in charges.
Nerheim said that under a policy he described as liberal, the only criteria the office used in the review is that Gliniewicz's name appeared in related police reports in any capacity, even as backup. The case search went back as far as the record system would allow, Nerheim said.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...ewicz-court-cases-st-1111-20151110-story.html

I had a feeling an audit of his arrests would happen. Man, what a mess he'd made. :smh:

Whew. I hate it when the lights go out at WS. Refresh, refresh, refresh.....

Details from the Fox Lake village board meeting emerging.

Fox Lake Mayor Donny Schmit said the village is "stunned and frankly feeling deceived" in the wake of last week's announcement that authorities believe police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz died in a suicide staged to look like a murder, fearing years of criminal activity would come to light."As a community we need to deal with the fact that while he did help many, he was far from the hero we wanted to think he was," Schmit said, speaking at the village's first board meeting since the announcement that marked a sharp turn in the narrative around Gliniewicz after his death Sept. 1 and the manhunt for three apparently fictional suspects it set off.

Schmit called the months since Gliniewicz's death "major defining events in the community's history" and stressed the need to move forward and "make Fox Lake even stronger."
He said the village will continue looking into what it can do to prevent similar things from happening again, including putting in additional controls to improve accountability. Schmit also acknowledged that village officials may find more problems along the way.
"Some of these areas of deficiency may possibly embarrass us, but we need to do the right thing," Schmit said.
Schmit also defended his decision to take a weekend vacation to see the Chicago Bears play in San Diego with former police Chief Michael Behan, who retired shortly after being placed on leave amid an internal investigation into how police handled an arrest in December 2014.
It was "just a trip between friends, nothing official," said Schmit, adding that he and Behan remain close friends.
"Quite frankly I don't think residents care if I'm attending a football game with friends on a long weekend," he said.
Schmit declined to answer further questions.
Two Fox Lake residents spoke at the meeting in praise of Village Administrator Anne Marrin, who spotted "red flags" around the Explorer program Gliniewicz ran during a routine review of village departments after she was hired in 2014.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/subur...age-board-meeting-st-1111-20151110-story.html

The state's attorney's search turned up 13 Gliniewicz-related prosecutions resulting in convictions since 2008, and seven cases resulting in dismissal of charges since 2006, Nerheim said.

"We don't see these situations often, but I would say for the number of years he was a police officer, I would describe that as a low number," Nerheim said of the cases involving Gliniewicz that resulted in charges.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/lake-county-news-sun/crime/ct-lns-gliniewicz-court-cases-st-1111-20151110-story.html

Well, yeah because the people arrested knew that "Joey" or "Mikey" would help them out, remember??

....people being arrested by Fox Lake officers on multiple occasions tried to warn off the arresting officers “because [the arrestees] were personal friends with ‘Joey’ [Lt. Gliniewicz] or ‘Mikey’ [Chief Behan].”

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/7/71/1082522/gliniewicz-fox-lake-portrait-destroyed

[h=1]Funds frozen in main memorial account for Gliniewicz family[/h]The main memorial bank account created in the days after Fox Lake Police Lt. Charles Joseph Gliniewicz was found dead has been frozen, bank officials confirmed Tuesday.

Patrick O'Herlihy, a spokesman with BMO Harris Bank, said via email that funds in that memorial fund that are earmarked for the Gliniewicz family are being held pending the results of the ongoing police investigation in the case.

O'Herlihy would not say how much money has been deposited into the account or taken from it, citing the ongoing investigation and other privacy reasons. He also would not say whether the bank was asked by police to hold the account, or if the bank did it on its own.

In addition, Lake County Sheriff Det. Christopher Covelli said the village of Fox Lake has received requests from people looking for refunds on money they donated to various charities established when it was initially reported that Gliniewicz was gunned down in the line of duty.

More in article, but pretty much what we know already.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20151110/news/151119868/

Respectfully, why would knowing he did field days with the explorers at the location differ from knowing he routinely patrolled the area and he policed the FL area for more than 30 years?

Because it was his happy place.

I have not seen where(jurisdiction) he was suppose to be patrolling, there was suppose to be some vandalism going on and I never saw where that was suppose to have been occurring, exactly. IIRC he was on his was to work when he killed himself so I for one am not sure if honing rd is where the vandalism was taking place or not, I never saw a link saying that, just that he was going to look into it. jmo idk

I think the town of Fox Lake may want to consider getting themselves a new mayor during the next election cycle. The one they have doesn't seem to quite get it. He's running around with, and hanging out with, an ex police chief that is most likely one of Gliniewiczs' enablers.

I don't know if Chief Behan was an active part of the Explorer scams or if he was simply a passive observer, but I think there's little doubt he knew Gliniewicz was using that program like his own personal piggy bank. The text messages to the chief, complaining about the upcoming audit and the woman behind it, is really all the proof you need. This wasn't a subordinate talking to his boss, these were friends discussing something amongst themselves.

More than likely, the Mayor, the ex-Chief, Gliniewicz, and others were part of the "good old boy" network that seems to run rampant in a whole bunch of these small town jurisdictions and police departments. They have their own little private club, with very few members, and no accountability to anyone. If a situation does arise, they cover their tracks by lying for one another, destroying paperwork, blame-shifting, and deflection.

The Mayor and Chief Behan were so embedded in this little club, that even to this day neither one of them has the common sense to keep a low profile and stay away from one another, if for nothing more than appearances sake. Is anybody reading this so naive' that they don't believe that Chief Behan and the Mayor would have had some pretty deep conversations "in private" regarding this investigation during their recent trip to the ball game ? I think both of them needed to get away and have some discussions in a place they both knew wasn't wiretapped, and their conversations couldn't be recorded or overheard. I can understand the urgency in attempting to get their stories straight though, the investigation continues...............and I imagine both of their names are going to be coming front and center very shortly.

I also think that he probably left mel a note before he left the house that morning, I think, JMO that he knew when left the house that he was going to kill himself. I have a hard time believing that he didn't explain to her why? and not leave her hanging with the thought that she did something to cause it. jmo idk

I think the town of Fox Lake may want to consider getting themselves a new mayor during the next election cycle. The one they have doesn't seem to quite get it. He's running around with, and hanging out with, an ex police chief that is most likely one of Gliniewiczs' enablers.

I don't know if Chief Behan was an active part of the Explorer scams or if he was simply a passive observer, but I think there's little doubt he knew Gliniewicz was using that program like his own personal piggy bank. The text messages to the chief, complaining about the upcoming audit and the woman behind it, is really all the proof you need. This wasn't a subordinate talking to his boss, these were friends discussing something amongst themselves.

More than likely, the Mayor, the ex-Chief, Gliniewicz, and others were part of the "good old boy" network that seems to run rampant in a whole bunch of these small town jurisdictions and police departments. They have their own little private club, with very few members, and no accountability to anyone. If a situation does arise, they cover their tracks by lying for one another, destroying paperwork, blame-shifting, and deflection.

The Mayor and Chief Behan were so embedded in this little club, that even to this day neither one of them has the common sense to keep a low profile and stay away from one another, if for nothing more than appearances sake. Is anybody reading this so naive' that they don't believe that Chief Behan and the Mayor would have had some pretty deep conversations "in private" regarding this investigation during their recent trip to the ball game ? I think both of them needed to get away and have some discussions in a place they both knew wasn't wiretapped, and their conversations couldn't be recorded or overheard. I can understand the urgency in attempting to get their stories straight though, the investigation continues...............and I imagine both of their names are going to be coming front and center very shortly.

Totally agree....

I also think that he probably left mel a note before he left the house that morning, I think, JMO that he knew when left the house that he was going to kill himself. I have a hard time believing that he didn't explain to her why? and not leave her hanging with the thought that she did something to cause it. jmo idk

I don't believe he left a note. I don't see him coming clean to his wife and trying to stage his suicide as a homicide to the rest of the world.

I'm not too sure he liked his wife all that much..........

Add me to the list of people who think things just do not register for the mayor.

I hope that if there are WSers who donated money, that they get it back...Also, since the Mayor appointed Anne Marrin, I wonder how that came about. They don't seem to be buddies...I think I read that she became the Village Administrator in March of 2014...I haven't looked at the agenda archives, but maybe her appointment is mentioned in them? JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mygrowingbranches
Back