IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 *wife arrested* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I live about 5 minutes from where the incident took place.

Do you happen to know anything about the Bog that he referenced?

Ever since CG referenced the Bog I think he called it Volo Bog or something like that. Just wondering about it and if there was ever any rumors about people being dumped in the Bog or anything along those lines.

Does the Bog always have water in it and how big it is?

I got the chills the way CG referenced it. I maybe reading too much into his reference to it but I got the scary feeling that the bog was used to dump people before.

Ever since CG referenced the Bog I think he called it Volo Bog or something like that. Just wondering about it and if there was ever any rumors about people being dumped in the Bog or anything along those lines.

I got the chills the way CG referenced it. I maybe reading too much into his reference to it but I got the scary feeling that the bog was used to dump people before.
It is a well-known state recreation area. Many area schools take field trips there. I've never heard of it as a potential dumping area, nor there being any crime there. That doesn't mean it may have never happened. You can learn about it here:

https://www.dnr.illinois.gov/Parks/Pages/VoloBog.aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volo_Bog_State_Natural_Area

Local media digging around in the Fox Lake promotion practices/responsibility past and present.

Even with the allegations against him, Gliniewicz routinely received expanded responsibilities at the police department. He died with the rank of lieutenant.“How does a guy like this get promoted?” said Dave Bayless, village of Fox Lake spokesman. “It’s a failure in leadership.”
A leadership that is no longer in Fox Lake, he added.
Michael Levine is a law enforcement consultant and retired Drug Enforcement Administration agent who has reviewed the hiring practices in federal law enforcement agencies as well as local police departments.
Levine said rogue cops are all too common. So is promoting them.
“All he had to have is one friend, and he’s promoted,” Levine said. “Just cozy up to one boss, and he’s promoted. This is common in all departments. The cream does not always rise to the administrative surface.”

Hired in 1985, Gliniewicz eventually was promoted to sergeant in May 1999. A recommendation for his promotion was signed by Margaret Paull, who was then the secretary for the village’s Fire and Police Commission. She currently is a commissioner. Paull did not return phone calls, and two other commissioners – Michael Trinski and Joe Ravagni – also could not be reached. According to recent commission meeting minutes, they indicated they would not speak to the media.
Paull, at the time, wrote Gliniewicz’s advancement was based on written scores, an oral interview, his years of service and performance evaluations by then-police Chief Edward Gerretsen.
Generally speaking, police review boards are run fairly similarly, Levine said. A group of residents is appointed to conduct the hiring, firing and promoting of officers. They’re often tasked with investigating resident complaints.
“You have a bunch of citizens who have absolutely no experience in police work,” Levine said. “Especially in a little towns. … That’s how a guy like that can surface.”

The letter claims former police Chief Michael Behan took a “head-in-the-sand approach” to dealing with Gliniewicz. It’s unclear what, if any, discipline Gliniewicz received as a result.
Every Fox Lake official who returned phone calls for this article said questions about Gliniewicz’s advancement in the department should be referred to Behan, or other city officials at the time, who could not be reached for comment.
Currently, the Fox Lake Police Department is run by an interim chief and deputy chief on loan from the Lake County Sheriff’s Office. A nationwide search for a new police chief began in August with Behan’s retirement. When he retired, Behan had been placed on paid administrative leave because of a separate investigation into how he handled an unrelated investigation into his and another officer’s actions in December.

In the meantime, village officials said they want to move past the Gliniewicz saga, and they are undergoing a complete overhaul of the department. Village Administrator Anne Marrin, whom Gliniewicz targeted when he tried to order a hit or set up for an arrest, talked about the “lax” policies and procedures at the department when she began looking at their operations in 2014. She said there weren’t proper channels for discipline or for reporting superiors.
“I just think they didn’t really know the right way because it’s been embedded in them that this is how it’s done,” she said.
Mayor Donny Schmitt also noted some changes need to be made within the department.
“We’re doing a complete audit and independent investigation of the department, and policies and practices, and we’re finding out they there needs to be change,” Schmitt said, but he would not elaborate on specific changes.
Moving forward, he noted the need to regain the public’s trust.
“One bad police officer doesn’t make the entire department,” Schmitt said. “There’s good men and women working at the department putting their lives on the line every day for the community.”

http://www.lakecountyjournals.com/2...ort-highlights-failure-in-leadership/agca715/

Local media digging around in the Fox Lake promotion practices/responsibility past and present.

http://www.lakecountyjournals.com/2...ort-highlights-failure-in-leadership/agca715/
Thanks for the link Looking4OPH

Mayor Donny Schmitt also noted some changes need to be made within the department.

“We’re doing a complete audit and independent investigation of the department, and policies and practices, and we’re finding out they there needs to be change,” Schmitt said, but he would not elaborate on specific changes.

For some reason when I read the above & know who said it I take it to mean we have to dumb them down again.
I do not trust donny, let's not forget he said joe was a cops cop. jmo IMO he knows more then he is saying.

There are protocols any Chief should follow based on "suspicions" but turning a blind eye is not one of them.Moo

Yes, agreeing w you. Did not mean to give impression that a chief doing nothing re suspicions was approp. Not at all.

My point was - who should this Chief have addressed his concerns to? Logically, someone who could investigate, and if suspicions were founded, to take steps to rectify by 1-removing JoeG from $ access or control and 2- trying to recover funds. The catch is - who is it? IIUC, LE Post's bank a/c was entirely separate from FL village's finances.

In other situations, e.g., where a branch office employee suspects another br ofc employee of improperly using co.$, usu'ly clear that suspecting-employee should address concerns to branch manager or to home office. Not so clear to me here, who Chief could have reported concerns to.*

Even tho FLPD 'sponsored' Post by providing adult leadership, meeting place, etc., FLPD did not provide all the $ to run it. IIRC, FLPD provided only ~ $2000-2500 per yr. IDK, whether village admn'r has legal authority to review all financial records of LE Post. Seems if FLPD provided funds for a specific Post event, it wd be approp for villlage admn'r to review event-related expenses for that event. Anyone?

If FL village provided $ to Explorer post, seems the least Chief could do is - refuse to auth. further funds to the post, or perhaps to end FLPD sponsorship of the post.

In initially sponsoring post & renewing sponsorship, my SWAG is FLPD rep (Chief B and predecessor-chiefs) signed BSA documents, agreeing to comply w certain BSA/LFL guidelines and those guidelines included FLPD's oversight or review of the post's finances and property. Could be wrong, IDK.

Thanks for the link Looking4OPH

For some reason when I read the above & know who said it I take it to mean we have to dumb them down again.
I do not trust donny, let's not forget he said joe was a cops cop. jmo IMO he knows more then he is saying.

I get the same type of impressions from that article.

The message I am getting is "Move along. Nothing more to see here."

I am afraid if anything else went on that some things are going to get swept under the rug at this point. They just want it to go away and CG will be the fall guy for everything and anything that may have went on inappropriately.

"village officials said they want to move past the Gliniewicz saga"
"“I just think they didn’t really know the right way because it’s been embedded in them that this is how it’s done,” "

My neighbors just moved from that area said the "Bog" there would definitely be a place to dump a body never to be found again. FYI

I guess just curious to know who is from Fox Lake or from he surrounding communities , Ingleside, Lake Villa, Round Lake area, Antioch, McHenry...

I lived less than 3 miles form the scene of the crime for almost 10 years. I moved back East at the beginning of 2015.

My wife used to complain that nothing exciting ever happened where we lived (she is more of a city girl). Within a few months after we left town, there was a tornado that touched down and a police suicide, both less than 3 miles from the old house. But I don't think that was the type of exciting she was looking for anyway! :)

My wife used to complain that nothing exciting ever happened where we lived (she is more of a city girl). Within a few months after we left town, there was a tornado that touched down and a police suicide, both less than 3 miles from the old house. But I don't think that was the type of exciting she was looking for anyway! :)
Good thing you got away while it was safe! :couch:

While I'm not sure of any bodies being dumped in Volo specifically; when we were there last year for my sons field trip they were talking about bodies in other bogs.
"The bogs are curious tombs, likely harboring homicide victims both honored and disgraced." Basically, the volunteers there told us that it would be an ideal location to dump a body.
http://nautil.us/issue/27/dark-matter/the-curious-case-of-the-bog-bodies

I searched and I did find this amazing story that happened in Volo Bog around 1991.
It is quite a story that happened back then. Other than that one, I didn't find any other strange disappearances. This true story that happened there in 1991 is probably enough to give the place quite a reputation.

This is an amazing and true narrated account of what happened there.
R.I.P. Dennis Bruce Jones.

http://www.chicagoreader.com/chicago/the-body-in-the-bog/Content?oid=912251

Volo Bog was supposed to have a "monster" living in it. I heard the story in the 70s.

They addressed this in a different article the other day. This won't apply to Gliniewicz. Since he's dead, he won't be tried, therefore he won't be found guilty of anything.

No conviction, then the law doesn't apply. This law covers LE individuals convicted of a felony while on duty.

Thanks,I sort of thought that. He knew that too......JMO

Maybe his pension could be put in a trust for his uninvolved minor offspring? I do not think that the younger boys should be penalized for their parents (looking like)fraudulence. Dunno. I feel badly for the uninvolved sons. JMO including the eldest, who almost seems like he was basically ignored.. CG talked about number 2 all the time. Who IS the eldest son? JMO

Maybe his pension could be put in a trust for his uninvolved minor offspring? I do not think that the younger boys should be penalized for their parents (looking like)fraudulence. Dunno. I feel badly for the uninvolved sons. JMO including the eldest, who almost seems like he was basically ignored.. CG talked about number 2 all the time. Who IS the eldest son? JMO

To me it seems because #2 looked like him he was grooming him to be just like him.... not sure if that means grooming him to be crooked or not. And I noticed that, too. He didn't talk about the other sons the way he did about DJ.

To me it seems because #2 looked like him he was grooming him to be just like him.... not sure if that means grooming him to be crooked or not. And I noticed that, too. He didn't talk about the other sons the way he did about DJ.

As you said....grooming him to be just like himself....JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mygrowingbranches
Back