IL - Lt. Charles 'Joe' Gliniewicz, 52, found dead, Fox Lake, 1 Sep 2015 *wife arrested* #7

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Also, since the Mayor appointed Anne Marrin, I wonder how that came about. They don't seem to be buddies...I think I read that she became the Village Administrator in March of 2014...I haven't looked at the agenda archives, but maybe her appointment is mentioned in them? JMO
All trustees voted Aye with one absent. Involved passing an ordinance to amend the village code. Seems out-of-the-ordinary to me, but not intimately familiar with village hiring process.

Village Board meeting minutes, Feb. 25, 2014: http://www.foxlake.org/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/803

All trustees voted Aye with one absent. Involved passing an ordinance to amend the village code. Seems out-of-the-ordinary to me, but not intimately familiar with village hiring process.

Village Board meeting minutes, Feb. 25, 2014: http://www.foxlake.org/ArchiveCenter/ViewFile/Item/803

She was the city administrator in Prospect Heights IL, and resigned after securing the position with Fox Lake. Her last day as PH administrator was March 26, 2014. She was approved for the Fox Lake job in early March (around the 12th). JMO

The mayors comments are still fishy to me. Considering the meeting the day before, the text the night before, and the text the morning of the suicide. He went on to say..I'm paraphrasing here..

About the meeting: 'We talked about what would happen to the Explorer program after he was gone.'

About the text at 9:00 pm: 'I didn't text him back because I'd see him/talk to him in the morning/next day.'

About the text the morning of the shooting: 'Call in Joe, we need you.' This would be at aprox 8:15 am or even later. Well after he would know Joe should already be at work on a normal day.

That last text makes it sound to me that he didn't think Joe was coming in on September 1st. Did the Mayor call that meeting to ask for LTGs resignation? Or at least suggest it and discuss LTGs options during the 1-1/2 hr meeting. Did LTG call that meeting to fess up to the Mayor about the Explorer embezzlement? Did LTG "quit" during that meeting? As far as the Mayor knew, was LTG just going to go to the station on Sept 1st just to drop off his squad car and badge/equipment? But LTGs real plan was to commit suicide instead? It was probably a friendly meeting, but some of these things had to have come up.

If ANY of this is true, maybe he wouldn't have told his wife about what was said during the meeting. At least not all of it. As far as she knew, he was just going to work that day, just like any other day. If ANY of this is true, the Mayor would have known suicide was what likely happened. At least after the first day when nobody was arrested. I don't think he mislead the public in any way, and cooperated with the Task Force. If he kept anything from the public, it was probably at the request of the Task Force.

We never understood exactly what she meant when she said something like "why didn't he just walk away"... but I'm not sure that she knew his plan...he wouldn't leave a note if he was hoping that his murder staging was going to fly. JMO

I don't think the mayor appointed Marrin, she was hired. The previous Village Administrator had moved on, there was an interim one while they looked for a new one. Marrin applied for the job, since she had achieved her goals at Prospect Heights (she saved the village from financial ruin and received high praise from the State of Illinois because of it).

Prior to Prospect Heights, she was Assistant City Manager of Highwood, Illinois. She is a professional city administrator. And, it seems like she is very good at what she does.

She is a professional city administrator. And, it seems like she is very good at what she does.
And after the Fox Lake events, she has risen to a whole nuther level! On some media interview I saw, when asked about her being the genesis of all of this, she deflected very well saying (paraphased) it was just her job. Pretty humble for her experiences here and her professionalism.

The mayors comments are still fishy to me. Considering the meeting the day before, the text the night before, and the text the morning of the suicide. He went on to say..I'm paraphrasing here..

About the meeting: 'We talked about what would happen to the Explorer program after he was gone.'

About the text at 9:00 pm: 'I didn't text him back because I'd see him/talk to him in the morning/next day.'

About the text the morning of the shooting: 'Call in Joe, we need you.' This would be at aprox 8:15 am or even later. Well after he would know Joe should already be at work on a normal day.

That last text makes it sound to me that he didn't think Joe was coming in on September 1st. Did the Mayor call that meeting to ask for LTGs resignation? Or at least suggest it and discuss LTGs options during the 1-1/2 hr meeting. Did LTG call that meeting to fess up to the Mayor about the Explorer embezzlement? Did LTG "quit" during that meeting? As far as the Mayor knew, was LTG just going to go to the station on Sept 1st just to drop off his squad car and badge/equipment? But LTGs real plan was to commit suicide instead? It was probably a friendly meeting, but some of these things had to have come up.

If ANY of this is true, maybe he wouldn't have told his wife about what was said during the meeting. At least not all of it. As far as she knew, he was just going to work that day, just like any other day. If ANY of this is true, the Mayor would have known suicide was what likely happened. At least after the first day when nobody was arrested. I don't think he mislead the public in any way, and cooperated with the Task Force. If he kept anything from the public, it was probably at the request of the Task Force.

Which would account for the nervousness and shifty eyes in his interviews with the media....

hAtb3u0.jpg

I have a theory, hear me out for a moment.

I don't think CJG intended to kill himself, but to severely wound himself in order to buy him some time from the investigation. Restore the missing funds, and clear the trail. Allowing him to be on disability, and activate his benefits. Reason being, the embezzlement was a 5-figure amount. It's Illinois, this probably would be taken care of quietly. He may have retired with half of his pension, the rest going back into the Explorers program. Also, he left a sloppy trail of evidence for a seasoned PO and MP. He struck me as the type to be very into himself; he was in good shape at 52, clean cut, womanizer. But on the flip side, his IG account shows a lot of happy pictures with his family. I don't think there was a note, because he needed the reaction (of him being wounded) to be real.

I read that he received an email from the admin, the night before his death, indicating a meeting between her and him at the post. Thus putting him into panic mode.

Of course, we know the outcome, and we'll never know his state of mind that morning. This is just my opinion.

I don't think CJG intended to kill himself, but to severely wound himself in order to buy him some time from the investigation. Restore the missing funds, and clear the trail. Allowing him to be on disability, and activate his benefits. Reason being, the embezzlement was a 5-figure amount. It's Illinois, this probably would be taken care of quietly. He may have retired with half of his pension, the rest going back into the Explorers program. Also, he left a sloppy trail of evidence for a seasoned PO and MP. He struck me as the type to be very into himself; he was in good shape at 52, clean cut, womanizer. But on the flip side, his IG account shows a lot of happy pictures with his family. I don't think there was a note, because he needed the reaction (of him being wounded) to be real.

I read that he received an email from the admin, the night before his death, indicating a meeting between her and him at the post. Thus putting him into panic mode.

Of course, we know the outcome, and we'll never know his state of mind that morning. This is just my opinion.
Interesting theory.

Agreed that Marrin was closing in on him and he was not likely in control of the timeline. Being so into himself and his body, even with a gunshot not going as planned, I would struggle believing he would be ok to do something he had professional knowledge that would diminish his physical abilities. Maybe if the gunshot was to an extremity, such as an arm or leg, but any torso shot is certain to do lots of damage and leave him in much diminished capacity, especially in/near the opening of the vest.

I see what you are saying, but the reason I would disagree is that this guy wasn't JUST involved in the embezzlement of funds from the Explorers program. I think he knew that getting investigated for that was going to open up a very large can of worms that would lead to the public knowing about many other illegal/dishonest things he (and his family) were involved in.

I do not think he thought that his stealing from the Explorer Program would have been handled quietly. He even mention to his son in the text that if the son did not start depositing at least $100 a month to make it look like the money JG gave him for his truck and vacay was a loan, that the son would be visiting him in jail.

We have yet to find out what the equipment requisitions had to do with and what other documents were forged. I think he knew that the $hit was going to hit the fan and if he could make it look like a murder there was a chance all the investigations would cease -- and if not, then at least HE wouldn't be around to deal with the shame, humiliation, and fall from grace.

That's just moo.

I see what you are saying, but the reason I would disagree is that this guy wasn't JUST involved in the embezzlement of funds from the Explorers program. I think he knew that getting investigated for that was going to open up a very large can of worms that would lead to the public knowing about many other illegal/dishonest things he (and his family) were involved in.

I do not think he thought that his stealing from the Explorer Program would have been handled quietly. He even mention to his son in the text that if the son did not start depositing at least $100 a month to make it look like the money JG gave him for his truck and vacay was a loan, that the son would be visiting him in jail.

We have yet to find out what the equipment requisitions had to do with and what other documents were forged. I think he knew that the $hit was going to hit the fan and if he could make it look like a murder there was a chance all the investigations would cease -- and if not, then at least HE wouldn't be around to deal with the shame, humiliation, and fall from grace.

That's just moo.

Exactly the way I see it, too. JMO And obviously not a lot of care about if it did not work out that way...that his wife and son would be busted and all the other fallout on his family, community, police force and friends. An absolute CREEP. JMO

I have to disagree for two reasons. First, AM was hired in March of 2014. He had a year and a half to start cleaning things up. Second, that second shot was fired under the vest, which means he had to put the barrel of the gun under his vest. If he wanted to disable himself he could have shot himself somewhere else. He was an expert - a sniper. There is no way he would have made a mistake if he did not intend to kill himself.

Gliniewicz was a poor manager who was never held accountable for his actions....

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20151111/news/151119720/

Interesting coments from the FL interim chief of police. I don't think any of his comments will come as a surprise.

Yes indeed. Regarding The Heroic GI Joe Gliniewicz, we read: "Keller said he's learned Gliniewicz spent most of his days working on the records department and the Fox Lake Explorers post, a position he was not supposed to be paid for. "He didn't really have any responsibilities," Keller said. "He should have been held accountable for his actions."

Given his deep patriotism and heroism, it's a shame that his funeral procession didn't go on for another 6 hours. It's a shame that his wife didn't hold a fundraiser or memorial for him every stinking day.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MandyLynn1109
Back