Recovered/Located IL - Mary Agnes Moroney, 2, Chicago, 15 May 1930

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
View attachment 365750
released by sarasota herald tribune , May 21st , 1930

So, that would mean the 'aunt' wrote both letters since the police believed both letters were written by the same person. Julia Otis didn't write the first one, either. And, Julia was observed dictating one of the letters to the older woman in the department store.

"The letter had been written on the stationary of a downtown store and, according to clerks, was dictated by a well dressed young woman, answering Mrs. Otis' description, to an older woman. A child, resembling Mary Agnes, stood at the younger woman's side."

Also, further on, in column 5: "A few days later Mrs. Moroney received a second letter, this one in different handwriting from the other." (signed by Mrs. Alice Henderson)

So, this conflicts with another observation by the police stating both letters were in the same handwriting.

This article might clear up the conflicting statements. I would suppose if the letters still exist ni the police files, they would yield some DNA.

handwriting.jpg

Last edited:
@Caring1 Hey could you post the current list of NamUs exclusions for Mary Agnes Moroney? I would greatly appreciate it.

Newspaper article on Mary’s kidnapping

CC: Gone, Not Forgotten
The Great Depression (1929–1939) caused extreme distress across the United States. Unemployment rates soared, breadlines got longer, people begged for food, and the already poor families became poorer.

Living in poverty became a heart-wrenching reality for so many people. Mix that with a pregnant wife and a 2-year-old toddler, life for two Chicago natives was about to get tougher.

*Today, Mary would be 94 years old and have a large family, five brothers and two sisters.

With the wife unable to look after her daughter, the family searched for affordable child care

Katherine Moroney with her daughter, Mary Agnes, in 1928.

Katherine Moroney with her daughter, Mary Agnes, in 1928.

Chicago Daily News story about the disappearance of Mary Agnes on May 15, 1930.

Chicago Daily News story about the disappearance of Mary Agnes on May 15, 1930.

A 1952 Chicago Daily News front page about the case of Mary Agnes Moroney, who was taken from her home as a toddler.

Back in 1952, the Chicago Daily News thought it had solved the mystery of Mary Agnes Moroney’s disappearance. It hadn’t.

The late Jeanette Burchard, the woman thought to be Mary Agnes Moroney, in approximately the 1930s or 1940s.

The late Jeanette Burchard, the woman thought to be Mary Agnes Moroney, in approximately the 1930s or 1940s.

Even as a child, Luann DeVries cared about those who’d come before.

“I would love to go visit all the old great aunts and uncles and listen to their stories,” recalled DeVries.

Some of those tales involved a family named Moroney.

“Alice Moroney was my dad’s grandmother,” explained DeVries.

But it wasn’t until the eighties that DeVries, married and raising a family in Zeeland, learned about a decades-old Moroney family mystery.

She’d been corresponding through letters with two great aunts in Chicago.

“They were asking me if I had found anything about this baby, Mary Agnes Moroney, who was kidnapped in Chicago,” remembered DeVries. “They asked me if I could find out if we were all related.”

DeVries had never heard of the 1930 abduction that headlined newspapers across the country.

“Hunt for Kidnaped (sic) Child is Failure,” blared a United Press headline from May 18, 1930.
DFPMay.1930.jpg

Like many families on the front end of the Great Depression, the Moroneys were struggling, said DeVries.

It's pretty obvious Jeanette Celarek Derris who raised Mary Agnes as yet another Jeanette was "Julia Otis". I found info on her online and she did not die until 2007, outliving Mary Agnes and two of Mary Agnes's children. She did have a husband who died- he was coincidentally named Jean. He did die two months after Mary Agnes's supposed birth date ( one month in reality). There was some truth in "Julia Otis's" lies. There is no record I found of her ever having even a stillborn child of her own, despite three marriages. She may have miscarried, perhaps multiple times, perhaps at a later stage, which of course can be difficult as well as a child living until/past birth. Or she may not have been able to have children, and back then, with some medical knowledge how it was, she likely had no idea why. After she had been married twice by 1930 and found herself unable to have children, then despair may have set in, or as Julia Otis claimed, a nervous breakdown of sorts. Obviously she told people like her third and last husband that Jeanette was not her biological daughter. I'd assume her second husband who from what I recall she was still with in 1930 knew something too. I'm guessing the older woman was her mother, who was still alive then. Perhaps she was the only person other than Jeanette Celarek Derris who knew the whole story. The cousins of Jeanette Celarek Derris who Mary Agnes asked later in life claimed not to know. But the older generation may have or the younger ones may have not told Mary Agnes/Jeanette the truth. Such a complicated and sad case..

I wonder why "Julia Otis" didn't try to find a child through legitimate means. Adoption back then wasn't as regulated as today and she was married at that time as far as I know, although perhaps her second husband didn't want to do that. Their marriage didn't last. Maybe he didn't want children through any means. I wonder how she explained how she suddenly had a child to her family. Obviously whoever the older woman was knew. But I can't imagine all her family knew the real story. I suppose she had a made up one too about how she suddenly had a two year old girl in her care. The California thing I'm sure "Julia Otis" made up as a decoy to conceal the fact Mary Agnes was still in Chicago for some years thereafter. I don't think the people on the train were them.

It's pretty obvious Jeanette Celarek Derris who raised Mary Agnes as yet another Jeanette was "Julia Otis". I found info on her online and she did not die until 2007, outliving Mary Agnes and two of Mary Agnes's children. She did have a husband who died- he was coincidentally named Jean. He did die two months after Mary Agnes's supposed birth date ( one month in reality). There was some truth in "Julia Otis's" lies. There is no record I found of her ever having even a stillborn child of her own, despite three marriages. She may have miscarried, perhaps multiple times, perhaps at a later stage, which of course can be difficult as well as a child living until/past birth. Or she may not have been able to have children, and back then, with some medical knowledge how it was, she likely had no idea why. After she had been married twice by 1930 and found herself unable to have children, then despair may have set in, or as Julia Otis claimed, a nervous breakdown of sorts. Obviously she told people like her third and last husband that Jeanette was not her biological daughter. I'd assume her second husband who from what I recall she was still with in 1930 knew something too. I'm guessing the older woman was her mother, who was still alive then. Perhaps she was the only person other than Jeanette Celarek Derris who knew the whole story. The cousins of Jeanette Celarek Derris who Mary Agnes asked later in life claimed not to know. But the older generation may have or the younger ones may have not told Mary Agnes/Jeanette the truth. Such a complicated and sad case..

I wonder why "Julia Otis" didn't try to find a child through legitimate means. Adoption back then wasn't as regulated as today and she was married at that time as far as I know, although perhaps her second husband didn't want to do that. Their marriage didn't last. Maybe he didn't want children through any means. I wonder how she explained how she suddenly had a child to her family. Obviously whoever the older woman was knew. But I can't imagine all her family knew the real story. I suppose she had a made up one too about how she suddenly had a two year old girl in her care. The California thing I'm sure "Julia Otis" made up as a decoy to conceal the fact Mary Agnes was still in Chicago for some years thereafter. I don't think the people on the train were them.

I'd have to agree with you that Mary Agnes remained in Chicago until she was taken to Arlington, VA by Frank and Jeanette Derris sometime after 1935.​

A family tree on Ancestry acknowledges the background of Mary Agnes.​

Mary Agnes Moroney aka Jeanette Yvonne Daemen (Burchard)​

1928–2003
BIRTH 14 APR 1928 • Chicago, Cook Co., Illinois
DEATH 20 OCT 2003 • Opa-locka, Miami-Dade, Florida

Mary Agnes Moroney aka Jeanette Yvonne Daemen

The 'mother' was Jeanette Esther Fahey (Her last name was Fahey at the time of the abduction. Her husband, John F. Fahey, had died in 1928)

Jeanette Esther "Antonette" Celarek married Jean Daemen 15 Sep 1927. (Mary Agnes Moroney was born May 9, 1928. 14 April 1928 was the date of birth given for Jeanette Yvonne Daemen by her 'mother') Jean Daemen died 12 June 1928 at Edward Hines Jr Hosp, Broadview, Cook, Ill. About a month later, his widow, Jeanette Esther "Antonette" Daemen then married John F Fahey, 16 July 1928, who also died about a month after marriage in Chicago, Cook, Illinois on 15 Aug 1928.

Her first two husbands died within a month of being married to her? What are the odds?

She then married Frank C. Derris 11 Aug 1934 Cook County, IL, using her married name of Daemen (Damen). He died 5 Feb 1959 in Miami.

She was then married using the name of Jeanette Esther Derris on 24 June 1967 in Crown Point, Lake County, Indiana, to Morris Benny Anderson. He died 27 July 1971 in Florida.

The Miami Herald 21 Oct 2003, page 71 obituary names her mother as Jeanette Anderson, and shows she was still alive at the time of (Mary Agnes) Jeanette Burchard's death.

Jeanette Anderson, the 'mother', was born 14 Aug 1909 and died 26 April 2007, age 97. Her obituary in the Thursday, May 03, 2007 Miami Herald simply stated, Anderson, Jeanette, 97, died 04/26/07. Svc. 05/05, 2 PM., with the phone number of Stanfill Funeral Home & Cremations - Miami, FL.

She, the 'mother', was buried under the name Jeanette E Derris in Miami, FL.

Jeanette E Derris would have been about 21 when Mary Agnes was abducted. Her mother, Katarzyna Celarek, nee Pajak, was 52 at the time of the abduction. Her father, Jan Celarek, had died in 1926.

The 1940 US Federal Census showed Frank C Derris, age 54, Jeanette Derris, age 32, and Jeanette Daemen, age 11, renting at 2820 N. Highland St. in the City of Clarendon in Arlington County, VA. (Langston Blvd is currently at that location) The transcriber mangled their last names as Davis and Dahman. It listed Frank as a school janitor and Jeanette as a U S government worker. Jeanette was in 6th grade. She was listed as their daughter. The census also showed their last residence on April 1, 1935 was in Chicago, IL.

The 1950 US Federal Census later shows Frank C Derris, age 64, and Jeanette Derris, age 40, living at 745 Northwest 22nd Avenue in Miami, FL. He was a school police officer and she worked as a clerk for the US Immigration Service. Jeanette (Mary Agnes) was no longer living with them.

It's possible that Jeanette Esther had her husband, Frank C Derris, fooled into thinking that Mary Agnes Jeanette was a child from her previous marriage to Jean Daemen. I don't know. She had used the birth date of 14 April 1928 for Jeanette Yvonne (Mary Agnes).14 April 1928 to 14 April 1940 is 12 years, not 11. IMO, Frank knew something was fishy, or he was in on it.

IMO, he was in on it for the following reason: John Fahey died in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois on 15 Aug 1928. If you take a look at the April 14,1930 US Federal Census, you'll see John Fahey, age 46, Jenette Fahey, age 22, and their 'daughter', Jennette, age 2 years, 2 months.

Now, unless John Fahey came alive after 15 Aug 1928, one would have to say that someone is impersonating him on the census. The only other person with a 24 year age difference from Jeanette is Chicago police officer, age 64 in 1950. Jeanette Derris in 1950, age 40. IMO, I find it hard to believe a police officer had a kidnapped child living with him all those years without him knowing about it.

I was not aware that John Fahey had died. Her first husband Jean died after they were married nearly a year, and certainly more than a month. Frank Derris did know something, as he told Mary Agnes/Jeanette at one point that her mother was not her biological mother according to one of the articles that quoted Mary Agnes's daughter. Mary Agnes was interested and asked questions of cousins of Jeanette Celarek Derris in Chicago, but they said they knew nothing. Frank Derris never explained further. How much he knew is uncertain. He may have just known Mary Agnes was "adopted" or whatever the story was Jeanette told some people close to her. Or it could be Frank Derris had figured out the real story and obviously felt he could only say so much, but hinted to Mary Agnes in hopes she would find her own answers or at least know a basic fact about herself, that she wasn't Jeanette Celarek Derris's bio daughter.

I was not aware that John Fahey had died. Her first husband Jean died after they were married nearly a year, and certainly more than a month. Frank Derris did know something, as he told Mary Agnes/Jeanette at one point that her mother was not her biological mother according to one of the articles that quoted Mary Agnes's daughter. Mary Agnes was interested and asked questions of cousins of Jeanette Celarek Derris in Chicago, but they said they knew nothing. Frank Derris never explained further. How much he knew is uncertain. He may have just known Mary Agnes was "adopted" or whatever the story was Jeanette told some people close to her. Or it could be Frank Derris had figured out the real story and obviously felt he could only say so much, but hinted to Mary Agnes in hopes she would find her own answers or at least know a basic fact about herself, that she wasn't Jeanette Celarek Derris's bio daughter.
"The only other person with a 24 year age difference from Jeanette is Chicago police officer Frank Derris, age 64 in 1950. (Forgot to put his name in above)"

I think Frank had it figured out, IMO. He was a police officer, after all, and was a police officer in Chicago (Berwyn Police Department) when Mary Agnes was abducted. To think with all these investigations over the years it turns out Mary Agnes Moroney was living with a Chicago police officer all this time. Derris even became a police officer in Miami and was even a detective. And he never figured out he was living with a kidnap victim all those years? LOL. On top of that, he was burglarized? How come none of this ever came out in the investigation? I think there's more to this story than we've heard about.

dillinger.jpgdillinger2.jpg

That's what I've thought since I first read about the case. It might be possible that the police/private investigators even found this real Julia Otis and questioned her, and the records reflecting this were destroyed or lost. I'm curious if the name the kidnapper chose was a coincidence, or if she picked the name of a neighbor, childhood friend, or just a woman she knew of from her home town.
I went down the rabbit hole for 2 days now. This Julia Otis, was not only well bred, lived sometime in LA, she did have protruding teeth! Also, she never married or had children but she had many “room mates”. I’m wondering what the connection there is between her and the adoptive mother. Also, she could have been judging the family and thought they are poor, why have more children. Just some thoughts.

That's what I've thought since I first read about the case. It might be possible that the police/private investigators even found this real Julia Otis and questioned her, and the records reflecting this were destroyed or lost. I'm curious if the name the kidnapper chose was a coincidence, or if she picked the name of a neighbor, childhood friend, or just a woman she knew of from her home town.
I also wonder if the woman raised by the Becks ever did dna to find her family

I fear that Mary Agnes had been able to connect the dots in the last years before she died, that would have meant a very ugly confrontation with her fake "Mom" and very likely an even uglier traumatization at the hands of the tabloid media of the nineties that The Simpsons skewered so correctly with "Rock Bottom" (in the episode "Homer Badman").

Has Mary Agnes been re-interred (or a cenotaph placed) with her actual Mom that died in the 1960s?

Has Mary Agnes been re-interred (or a cenotaph placed) with her actual Mom that died in the 1960s?

Doesn't look like she's been moved.
jeandaemen.jpg

2023 developments​

In February 2023, it was announced that DNA testing had determined a link between Mary Agnes's surviving family and relatives of Jeanette Burchard, a Florida resident who had died in 2003 at the age of 75.[3] Though Mary Agnes's adoptive mother, Jeanette Celarek Derris Anderson, has not been formally accused, Mary Agnes's daughter, Terri Arnold, said she has her suspicions about Anderson being the perpetrator of the kidnapping, and has felt "anger" towards her since her mother's identification.[8][9][10]

I agree with Terri Arnold.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FastRayne
Back