GUILTY IL - Mya Lyons, 9, stabbed to death, Chicago, 15 July 2008

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Can someone give me some pointers for writing to the media. What things can you say that usually make them take notice? I wonder if any of them would like to report on it to show the difference between the media coverage of the murder of a white child and a black child. I hate to think that it happens today but it's a little obvious in this case.

Anything to get word out about Mya and how we have to find out who did this so they can be punished.

Hi guys, I don't think I've ever posted on this thread before, but I'm from Chicago and I agree that there has been NOTHING released lately about this case.....absolutely nothing and it's so weird! Mya was just a sweet little girl, how could this not be all over our news??

I'd be willing to help out and write to some newspapers also.

jmo

I am also from the Chicago area, and find it very, very disheartening the way cases seem to vanish here....
The Lane Bryant murders, and way before that, in the summer of '07, the murder of the entire Christopher Vaughn family ( he sits in jail, NO action as to trial)
Why do so many cases disappear here? Not to mention people ( Lisa Stebic and Stacy Peterson)

I have lived in three other metro areas ( NYC, Miami, Atlanta) and I gotta tell you, there is something unique about crime in Chi-Town....and I do not see it in racial terms....with the Chris Vaughn family, 3 white kids and their mom were slaughtered, and the case has just vanished...
With all of that having been said,
It would seem that Mya's case has just been shuffled to the back of someone's desk, and that is truly sad.

I have never even heard of Chris Vaughn family. Will have to look that one up. If there's any info.

I am also from the Chicago area, and find it very, very disheartening the way cases seem to vanish here....
The Lane Bryant murders, and way before that, in the summer of '07, the murder of the entire Christopher Vaughn family ( he sits in jail, NO action as to trial)
Why do so many cases disappear here? Not to mention people ( Lisa Stebic and Stacy Peterson)

I have lived in three other metro areas ( NYC, Miami, Atlanta) and I gotta tell you, there is something unique about crime in Chi-Town....and I do not see it in racial terms....with the Chris Vaughn family, 3 white kids and their mom were slaughtered, and the case has just vanished...
It would seem that Mya's case has just been shuffled to the back of someone's desk, and that is truly sad.
The Chris Vaughn case did not vanish. I followed the whole thing. He killed his family and he is in prison.

Not to veer too far off topic, but I thought the Vaughn case was awaiting trial??

yes, he is not in prison, is in jail, awaiting trial, nearly 18 months after the crime.
Nothing new, whatsover, 4 lives just vanished, without a trace at this point....
It is just sad when these cases go untried or unsolved.
In Mya's case, it appears that they have not even come close to solving it, let alone bringing a murderer to justice.

John Spira is another case I follow from Chicago.

http://www.johnspira.com/

wow, I had not heard of this case at all!! I hope that he has just run off somewhere, which does sometimes happen, but this does not sound good at all....very sad.

Can someone give me some pointers for writing to the media. What things can you say that usually make them take notice? I wonder if any of them would like to report on it to show the difference between the media coverage of the murder of a white child and a black child. I hate to think that it happens today but it's a little obvious in this case.

Anything to get word out about Mya and how we have to find out who did this so they can be punished.

That subject has been discussed plenty of times by the national media. Type "race and missing kids" into google.com and see how many results come up.

I didn't realize it had been covered so extensively Cathy. I was just trying to think of a way to make them see something in it for themselves.

Yes, if any of you have connections with AMW or CNN, that would be great.

The only way that you will get any action from AMW is if your lead detective contacts them. The reason for that is because AMW has to be sure that the story is a fact and they ask a lot of questions about what happened, etc. The info has to come directly from LE.

When my daughter was murdered my friends even faxed newspaper clippings to AMW and it did no good. They get so many requests. When our lead detective contacted them we got results. It took a while before we did the show but we did get on it and they showed our segmant several times before the killer was finally caught.

The only way that you will get any action from AMW is if your lead detective contacts them. The reason for that is because AMW has to be sure that the story is a fact and they ask a lot of questions about what happened, etc. The info has to come directly from LE.

When my daughter was murdered my friends even faxed newspaper clippings to AMW and it did no good. They get so many requests. When our lead detective contacted them we got results. It took a while before we did the show but we did get on it and they showed our segmant several times before the killer was finally caught.

((((Bobbisangel))) Thank you for giving some great personal insight. Any suggestions on how to light a fire under LE?

I have to agree with Native New Yorker. There is something about how Chicago seems to forget their victims. There have been some awful crimes that have happened here to men, women, and to children and they seem to be forgotten almost as quickly as they come to light. Sad and disturbing.

Jenny, there is just too much crime here.

Missing/presumed dead women (Lisa S, Stacey P), missing people in general, kids being killed (Mya, random drive bys of kids almost every day), high-profile/multiple victim crimes (Vaughn family, Lane Bryant, Hudson family).

Of course those are just a couple of examples. Murder rate here in Chicago and the Chicagoland area is high. Very sad.

((((Bobbisangel))) Thank you for giving some great personal insight. Any suggestions on how to light a fire under LE?

Bobbi-I second SuziQ's hugs. Bless you!

Salem

I was just thinking about little Mya and her family here at the holidays :(

Bumping up for Mya. No recent updates that I see.

Bumping up for Mya. No recent updates that I see.
Same here...........I can't get her out of my mind for long. This case needs to be solved. I can't help but wonder if LE has just let it go.

I haven't forgotten you Mya. I'm praying that justice will be done in your case.

RIP beautiful little girl.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back