GUILTY IL - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, in suitcase in Bali, 12 Aug 2014 *fnd guilty in Bali* #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I guess Mr Claypool had other obligations today and couldn’t fly in for his star client’s hearing. :rolleyes:
No way this decision was made by the public defender who represented her last week.

I wonder what the “team” is working on to get her out on bond. I’m sure it will involve the trauma of Stella being left alone with a stranger unless her mother is let out. OS can’t stay forever. She has two other children to get back to. Mr Claypool had plenty of experience with this in the DD case. I believe he managed to get her out on bail before her third trial because she had a child while she was on house arrest after her appeal was granted from the first trial I think. Ironically, she was up for the same charge, conspiracy to commit murder.

MOO

“Heather Mack, a Chicago woman who served more than seven years in an Indonesian prison for killing her mother at a luxury resort on the island of Bali, will remain in jail in Chicago, a judge ruled Wednesday.

Mack had already been in custody for a week before appearing for her bond hearing in the city.

Brian Claypool, Mack’s attorney, said prior to the hearing that he hoped she would be released.

"We’re going to fight for a very low bail amount. We’re hoping that this judge does not issue no bail," he said. "Heather has been a model inmate for seven years. She’s been in jail, she was released early because she’s been such a great inmate. She’s not a flight risk or danger to society. Heather has no money and I’m sure she’d be willing to relinquish her passport. If she were going to flee the country she would have done it before coming back to Chicago so Heather Mack is not a flight risk."

Mack's next scheduled court appearance is slated for Jan. 18.”

Heather Mack Remains in Custody on Murder Conspiracy Charges After Bail Hearing

Dressed in an orange jail jumpsuit with her hair pulled back in a ponytail, Mack peered around the ceremonial courtroom on the 25th floor of the Dirksen U.S. Courthouse and swiveled in her chair before the hearing began. She spoke only once during the brief proceedings to confirm there was nothing she wanted to say on the record.
…….
In the courthouse lobby after the hearing, the siblings of von Wiese-Mack — who had been prepared to testify during the detention hearing if need be — read a brief statement to reporters saying they were “incredibly relieved and appreciative” that Mack would remain behind bars.

“As difficult as this is for our family and all of Sheila’s friends, we are pleased that Sheila will finally have her day in court,” said Bill Wiese, reading from a prepared statement.
……
Before ordering Mack detained, U.S. District Judge Charles Norgle held up a thick black binder of evidence prosecutors had planned to present at Wednesday’s hearing. When Mack’s court-appointed attorney, Keith Spielfogel, asked the judge if he’d reviewed it, Norgle replied, “I’ve read it, seen it and listened to it.”

Norgle set a status hearing in the case for Jan. 18.

Heather Mack waives detention hearing, will be held without bond on federal conspiracy charges stemming from mother’s Bali slaying

Speaking by phone from California last week, Claypool said he will ask the court to throw out the new charges, arguing that conspiracy was included in the charges that Mack was convicted of in Indonesia.

“The U.S. government had a choice to make in 2015,” he said. “They could have fought to extradite ... and try her in the U.S. court. They didn’t do that.”

T
here is no extradition treaty between the US and Indonesia and Mr Claypool knows this. Once again he’s throwing out misinformation to anyone who’ll listen.

“Heather Mack, a Chicago woman who served more than seven years in an Indonesian prison for killing her mother at a luxury resort on the island of Bali, will remain in jail in Chicago, a judge ruled Wednesday.

Mack had already been in custody for a week before appearing for her bond hearing in the city.

Brian Claypool, Mack’s attorney, said prior to the hearing that he hoped she would be released.

"We’re going to fight for a very low bail amount. We’re hoping that this judge does not issue no bail," he said. "Heather has been a model inmate for seven years. She’s been in jail, she was released early because she’s been such a great inmate. She’s not a flight risk or danger to society. Heather has no money and I’m sure she’d be willing to relinquish her passport. If she were going to flee the country she would have done it before coming back to Chicago so Heather Mack is not a flight risk."

Nothing but a bunch of hot air…great inmate, not a danger to society? Sorry, but she had no choice but to come back as ordered by the FBI.

Okay so it appears that HM will be locked up until January at least. So what happens with Stella? KW will get her day in court soon but if she’s not awarded temporary guardian, will Stella be spending the holidays with VF’s family after OS returns home?

Nothing but a bunch of hot air…great inmate, not a danger to society? Sorry, but she had no choice but to come back as ordered by the FBI.

I know right? She was flanked by Indonesian immigration officials, Interpol officials and FBI officials every step of the way. How was she going to flee on her way back to the US? Now, let her walk out the front door of that correctional facility on bail and see what happens.

MOO

She's an absolutely high flight risk!!! She wouldn't hesitate to hop a plane without a passport. They tried to get new ones in Bali. Murder should be no-bail. She has a violent history and is a danger to society. She was convicted and feels entitled.

Bali is only recommending 6 months for Stella.
She's an American citizen whose father is in prison there and mother is in prison here. I don't see the logic in sending her back to a foreign country to grow up, especially when the foster mother OS probably won't be granted custody.

She's an absolutely high flight risk!!! She wouldn't hesitate to hop a plane without a passport. They tried to get new ones in Bali. Murder should be no-bail. She has a violent history and is a danger to society. She was convicted and feels entitled.

I think the “thick black binder” that the prosecution brought to court today pretty much let the hot air out of Claypool’s blustering arguments. And they didn’t even bother to find out what was in it, they just caved. :p

Fortunately, it sounds like HM can’t use Stella for this.

Chicago 'suitcase killer' Heather Mack remains held without bond after waiving detention hearing

A former federal prosecutor told the Sun Times the custody battle for Stella likely won’t influence the judge’s decision on whether or not to grant bond for Heather Mack, noting the girl was already living separately from her mother for years until Mack’s release from an Indonesia prison in October.

Regarding custody of the child, is this a debate between Schaefer's mother and the foster mother? Has child protective services entered the arena, or will this come down to choosing between the child living in the USA or Bali?

Regarding custody of the child, is this a debate between Schaefer's mother and the foster mother? Has child protective services entered the arena, or will this come down to choosing between the child living in the USA or Bali?

Not sure either KW or OS are actually in the running for custody of Stella. I know KW wants to raise her. I assume OS wants to take her back to Bali and raise her. At the moment, the actual guardian who was appointed last Tuesday before Stella even stepped foot on US soil is VF, the attorney who designated herself as Stella’s attorney before she was even born. She has stayed in touch with, and worked for, HM since she was first arrested. She has probably also billed the trust for a substantial amount of money for her services. To my knowledge, CPS has so far been kept out of it. Not sure what the plan is going forward. Is Stella actually staying with VF or have her and OS been put up somewhere?

I think it’s time for CPS to get involved.

MOO

Not sure either KW or OS are actually in the running for custody of Stella. I know KW wants to raise her. I assume OS wants to take her back to Bali and raise her. At the moment, the actual guardian who was appointed last Tuesday before Stella even stepped foot on US soil is VF, the attorney who designated herself as Stella’s attorney before she was even born. She has stayed in touch with, and worked for, HM since she was first arrested. She has probably also billed the trust for a substantial amount of money for her services. To my knowledge, CPS has so far been kept out of it. Not sure what the plan is going forward. Is Stella actually staying with VF or have her and OS been put up somewhere?

I think it’s time for CPS to get involved.

MOO

Exactly. The lawyer who arranged care for Stella is Mack's lawyer, so the woman in charge of Stella is not impartial; not 100% focused on best interests of the child. She might be acting on Mack's behalf, which means she's acting for the foster mother as caregiver (I assume). Mack did say that she wanted her daughter to remain with the foster family in Bali.

Doesn't that leave this as a debate between Mack's lawyer, who has control of the child, and Schaefer's mother, who seems unable to provide a healthy environment?

Have the courts assigned an amicus curiae, or whatever it's called in Chicago, where the child is appointed a lawyer to act on her behalf? This cannot be a lawyer that was hired by the mother, even if the mother hired the lawyer when the child was born. We have 6 years of the lawyer giving authority to Mack for Stella. That lawyer cannot claim today that she acts for the child independent of the mother.

Interesting…

Claypool had not filed an appearance on Mack’s behalf in U.S. District Court as of Wednesday.

Heather Mack waives detention hearing, will be held without bond on federal conspiracy charges stemming from mother’s Bali slaying

Does Claypool finally understand that the evidence for two USA nationals who conspired to commit murder in a foreign country originated in the USA, that Bali had no grounds to file these charges, that these new charges relate to a confession from a co-conspirator two years after the murder convictions?

These are new charges, not double jeopardy, and no "dog fight" threats from the man in LA make any difference.

Schaefer's cousin deserves to be in prison. He knew in advance that Mack and Schaefer intended to murder Sheila. He knew that Mack attempted to drug/ overdose Sheila and it didn't work. He knew that Schaefer was asking about another soft kill option, and that he admitted making a bloody mess of it. At no time did Kia Walker's nephew tell Tommy Schaefer that he should not murder his girlfriends mother. Instead, he helped brainstorm options for murder.

Schaefer's family is polluted, his mother should not have custody of a murderer's child, even if the murderer is her son. The stink is throughout the family of mothers, sons, cousins, siblings, and very likely more.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csiapril77
Back