GUILTY IL - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, in suitcase in Bali, 12 Aug 2014 *fnd guilty in Bali* #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I honestly don't understand why Oshar would be willing to leave her own children and family in Indonesia to come here to live. Is she to be compensated out of Stella's Trust Fund then?

Not doubting that there is a parent / child bond between Oshar and Stella. Just wish Stella could have a permanent guardian appointed now. I worry that Oshar can't live in the US and leave her own children for years. How's this going to work for long? The good part is Stella feels secure with Oshar. Stella will be starting school and adjusting to life in the US, and it is nice she'll have Oshar there to help her adjust.

g61160.gif

The caretaker, Oshar Suartama, confirmed for Cook County Judge Stephanie Miller on Friday that she had arrived in Illinois and had reunited with 7-year-old Estelle Schaefer, known as Stella. The child’s therapist previously told the judge “there’s no question that Stella perceives [Suartama] as her mother and the primary caretaker in her life.”

[...]

Stella’s court-appointed advocate, Theresa Ceko, told the judge that the lease on Suartama’s home in suburban Chicago doesn’t begin until July 10. Ceko said she knew where Suartama planned to stay in the meantime, but she did not want to disclose the location. Ceko confirmed for the judge that Suartama would be living in Illinois.

I'm curious about the cousin seeking custody of Stella. I don't think we've heard of her yet?

"Also seeking custody of Stella are her paternal grandmother, Kia Walker, and Mack’s cousin, Lisa Hellmann of Colorado."
I wonder if she is the daughter of either Sheila’s brother or sister. It was evident neither of them were up to the task, likely given their ages, right from the beginning when KW was trying to get guardianship of Stella and raise her in the US rather than have her raised in a violent prison with her murderous mother.

MOO

I honestly don't understand why Oshar would be willing to leave her own children and family in Indonesia to come here to live. Is she to be compensated out of Stella's Trust Fund then?

Not doubting that there is a parent / child bond between Oshar and Stella. Just wish Stella could have a permanent guardian appointed now. I worry that Oshar can't live in the US and leave her own children for years. How's this going to work for long? The good part is Stella feels secure with Oshar. Stella will be starting school and adjusting to life in the US, and it is nice she'll have Oshar there to help her adjust.

g61160.gif

The caretaker, Oshar Suartama, confirmed for Cook County Judge Stephanie Miller on Friday that she had arrived in Illinois and had reunited with 7-year-old Estelle Schaefer, known as Stella. The child’s therapist previously told the judge “there’s no question that Stella perceives [Suartama] as her mother and the primary caretaker in her life.”

[...]

Stella’s court-appointed advocate, Theresa Ceko, told the judge that the lease on Suartama’s home in suburban Chicago doesn’t begin until July 10. Ceko said she knew where Suartama planned to stay in the meantime, but she did not want to disclose the location. Ceko confirmed for the judge that Suartama would be living in Illinois.
It really is a mystery. How is she paying to rent a home in suburban Chicago and live there with Stella, covering all expenses? It has to have been arranged by the appointed guardian and the funds must be coming out of the trust fund. I’m sure Oshar is very attached to Stella and I can only think that she has agreed to this inconvenient arrangement because she is hoping to gain permanent custody and take her back to Bali if HM is convicted and faces a long prison sentence. Perhaps she has been assured that HM’s fate and Stella’s permanent guardianship will be determined within months, rather than years?

MOO

Here are some tweets from a court reporter regarding today's hearing...

Dave Byrnes

@djbyrnes1

Drama today in the case of Heather Mack, the Chicago-area woman accused of killing her mother in Bali in 2014. Mack currently faces conspiracy to commit murder charges in the Chicago-based North Illinois federal court district. 1/3
@CourthouseNews

4:05 PM · Jun 29, 2022·Twitter Web Ap

https://twitter.com/djbyrnes1
@djbyrnes1

The issue revolved around Mack's lawyer Jeff Steinback. Earlier this month he was barred from practicing law in the N. Iowa federal court district, and slapped with a $5,000 fine, for pushing back multiple court dates by citing allegedly bogus medical issues. 2/3
@CourthouseNews

The presiding IL federal judge in Mack's case, Charles Norgle, all but directly accused Steinback of failing his client and lying to the court about his fitness to serve as an attorney. Despite this, Mack said she wanted to stick w/ Steinback. Full story soon
@CourthouseNews
3/3

Here is the link to the story from the above courthouse tweets...

I predicted months ago when HM "hired" this attorney that she would take a page from the Jodi Arias playbook and delay a trial as long as possible to get as much time served as possible, in a local jail, while getting all the privileges of being treated as innocent until proven guilty. I suppose "Aunt Diana" is paying for Mr Steinbeck's services?

MOO

Last edited:
I'll go ahead & post this to keep my notes correct. Also I can shorten it up a bit.

Thursday, June 29th:
*Status Hearing (@ am CT) –IL - Sheila von Wiese-Mack (62) (killed in Bali 8/12/14 by daughter & her bf) - *Heather Mack (19 @ time of crime/26) Federal indictment, charged & arrested (11/3/21) & arraigned (11/3/21) with conspiracy to kill in a foreign country, conspiracy to commit foreign murder of a U.S. national & obstruction of justice. Plead not guilty (11/3/21). Held without bond.
Info on Mack’s previous crime & case info from 11/12/21 thru 1/18/22 reference post #499 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-aug-2014-fnd-guilty-in-bali-6.593581/page-25

6/20/22 Update: The fate of Heather Mack’s 7-year-old daughter is once again up in the air after a Cook County judge said she will rule Friday, 6/24/22 on new temporary living arrangements for the child — including whether the girl should return to Indonesia for the summer. Stella has since been in the custody of Vanessa Favia, a former attorney of Mack’s. But Favia’s attorney told Cook County Judge Stephanie Miller on Monday that Favia no longer wants to serve as Stella’s custodian. And later in the same hearing, Stella’s court-appointed advocate recommended she spend the summer in Bali with the woman who raised her while Mack was behind bars there. The idea prompted immediate questions from the judge about her own jurisdiction, as well as heated objections from others petitioning for custody of Stella. An attorney for one petitioner noted that, “we don’t know if that child’s ever coming back.”
6/24/22 Update: Oshar Suartama confirmed for Cook County Judge Stephanie Miller on Friday that she had arrived in Illinois & had reunited with 7-year-old Estelle Schaefer, known as Stella. The child’s therapist has told the judge “there’s no question” Stella sees that woman “as her mother & the primary caretaker in her life.” Stella’s court-appointed advocate, Theresa Ceko, told the judge that the lease on Suartama’s home in suburban Chicago doesn’t begin until July 10. Ceko said she knew where Suartama planned to stay in the meantime, but she did not want to disclose the location. Ceko confirmed for the judge that Suartama would be living in Illinois. The judge did order attorney Vanessa Favia to deliver Stella’s passport to Ceko within two weeks. Favia has cared for Stella since the child arrived in the United States in November. Though the possibility of Stella returning to Indonesia has come up as custody of the child has been sorted out, the judge confirmed Friday that Suartama has “no authority to take the minor outside of the United States.” Also seeking custody of Stella are her paternal grandmother, Kia Walker & Mack’s cousin, Lisa Hellmann of Colorado. Next status hearing regarding conspiracy charges on 6/29/22.
6/29/22 Update: Status hearing held. Judge berates defense attorney Steinbeck. No trial date has been set.

@Kamille - any news on Mack's next court date yet?

TIA!
Hi Niner :)

I haven’t seen anything online that indicates when next court dates are for either HM’s criminal case or for any guardian update hearings regarding Stella. I’d imagine her attorneys are trying to put off a trial for as long as possible and may be filing continuances for various reasons. That’s JMO though.

Hi Niner :)

I haven’t seen anything online that indicates when next court dates are for either HM’s criminal case or for any guardian update hearings regarding Stella. I’d imagine her attorneys are trying to put off a trial for as long as possible and may be filing continuances for various reasons. That’s JMO though.

Thank you for taking the time to check it out! :)

Re: what is going on with Oshar being willing to relocate to Chicago.

It's hard to believe, but HM killed her mother 8 years ago. I recall seeing a picture of Oshar's kids at that time and I think they are adults now and I believe there may have been problems in the marriage.

I am curious about one thing and that's Oshar's citizenship. I don't know if her citizenship is Australian or Indonesian, but it certainly isn't American. I think she'll need some kind of visa to stay here permanently. Sometimes you can renew visas indefinitely, but you have to leave the country and re-enter each time you do.

OK, and I can't help but wonder if she's visiting HM regularly in jail.

Thank You for the update. It's happening. Four people are fighting in court for custody of Stella. Numbered and bolded by me to make it easier to follow the reasoning in the article.
Seeking custody of Stella are
  1. Kia Walker, Tommy Schaefer’s mother;
  2. Lisa Hellmann, a cousin of Mack’s from Colorado;
  3. Diana Roque Ellis, a California woman and onetime friend of von Wiese-Mack’s; and
  4. Oshar Suartama, the woman who cared for Stella in Indonesia while Mack served her prison sentence there.
From the article:
Hellmann’s attorney, Clarke Mac Gillespie, told the judge Tuesday she’d hear evidence that Ellis and Suartama struck deals that would lead to Stella’s exploitation in “some sort of video production or a book or some other type of thing that was highly unlikely to be in Stella’s best interest.” Online reports dating back to 2016 have connected Ellis to such projects.

Gillespie said Hellmann is a science teacher who has raised two boys and wants “to try to do right by this child.”

Ellis’ attorney, Enrico Mirabelli, told the judge Suartama has a written contract with a woman who has promised to write a book about Mack’s case. He also complained that Hellmann intends to adopt Stella and terminate Mack’s parental rights.

Mirabelli insisted that Ellis stepped up for her friend’s daughter and granddaughter and “never imagined that people would try to drag her through the mud as they’ve done in this case.”

Walker, who is representing herself and also began calling witnesses Tuesday, stressed the importance of family and became upset as she told the judge, “I love me some Stella.”

“She’s all I have,” Walker said. “I fought for her. She’s my family. You all don’t get to decide what my family looks like. She’s my family.”

Suartama’s attorney did not give an opening statement.

Personally, I hope the cousin gets her. She's the most neutral person, and looks to terminate Heather's parental rights, and is the closest relative to Sheila. It's justice to me.

Wednesday, Sept. 7th:
*Bench Trial continues (Day 2) (custody) (@ am CT) –IL - Sheila von Wiese-Mack (62) (killed in Bali 8/12/14 by daughter & her bf) - *Heather Mack (19 @ time of crime/26) Federal indictment, charged & arrested (11/3/21) & arraigned (11/3/21) with conspiracy to kill in a foreign country, conspiracy to commit foreign murder of a U.S. national & obstruction of justice. Plead not guilty (11/3/21). Held without bond.
Info on Mack’s previous crime & case info from 11/12/21 thru 6/24/22 reference post #509 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-aug-2014-fnd-guilty-in-bali-6.593581/page-26

6/29/22 Update: Status hearing held. Judge berates defense attorney Steinbeck. No trial date has been set. 9/1/22 Update: Trial for custody of Stella starts on 9/6/22.
9/6/22 Tuesday, Trial Day 1: Four people are seeking custody of 7-year-old Estelle Schaefer, known as Stella, in the trial before Cook County Judge Stephanie Miller. Seeking custody of Stella are Kia Walker, Tommy Schaefer’s mother; Lisa Hellmann, a cousin of Mack’s from Colorado; Diana Roque Ellis, a California woman and onetime friend of von Wiese-Mack’s; and Oshar Suartama, the woman who cared for Stella in Indonesia while Mack served her prison sentence there. Opening statements Tuesday revolved in part around Stella’s potential exploitation in the wake of the sensational murder of Sheila von Wiese-Mack of Oak Park, as well as the possible termination of Mack’s parental rights.
for more info see post #515 (article) here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-aug-2014-fnd-guilty-in-bali-6.593581/page-26
Trial continues on 9/7/22.

Thursday, Sept. 8th:
*Bench Trial continues (Day 3) (custody) (@ am CT) –IL - Sheila von Wiese-Mack (62) (killed in Bali 8/12/14 by daughter & her bf) - *Heather Mack (19 @ time of crime/26) Federal indictment, charged & arrested (11/3/21) & arraigned (11/3/21) with conspiracy to kill in a foreign country, conspiracy to commit foreign murder of a U.S. national & obstruction of justice. Plead not guilty (11/3/21). Held without bond.
Info on Mack’s previous crime & case info from 11/12/21 thru 6/29/22 & Bench Trial Day 1 (9/6/22) reference post #518 here:

Bench trial began on 9/6/22 for custody of Stella.
9/7/22 Wednesday, Trial Day 2: No info available. Trial continues on 9/8/22.

Personally, I hope the cousin gets her. She's the most neutral person, and looks to terminate Heather's parental rights, and is the closest relative to Sheila. It's justice to me.
The cousin is, like you say, the most neutral person out of the four. She's a blood relative too. She's a Science Teacher who has raised two sons of her own. I like that Lisa Hellman's attorney is giving the heads up to the Judge about "Ellis and Suartama struck deals that would lead to Stella’s exploitation..."
Walker, who is representing herself and also began calling witnesses Tuesday, stressed the importance of family and became upset as she told the judge, “I love me some Stella.”

“She’s all I have,” Walker said. “I fought for her. She’s my family. You all don’t get to decide what my family looks like. She’s my family.”

MOO, Tommy's mother, Kia Walker, Stella's only living grandmother now, has shown a sincere concern from the start of Stella's life, and needs to be included in Stella's life, even if she doesn't get custody. I hope somehow that could be written into the custody paperwork that she be allowed visits with her grandchild. I hope she is allowed to have a relationship with her granddaughter, and Stella's appointed guardian honors Kia's role because Kia does have a strong sense of family, and Stella needs a grandmother.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csiapril77
Back