GUILTY IL - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, in suitcase in Bali, 12 Aug 2014 *fnd guilty in Bali* #6

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Finally a decision!

Nov. 18, 2022

A Cook County judge ordered Heather Mack’s 7-year-old daughter into the temporary care of a maternal cousin of Mack’s from Colorado at the end of a contentious, hourslong hearing Thursday — despite Mack asking the judge from jail to choose the girl’s grandmother instead.

Lisa Hellmann will become the third person to care for Estelle Schaefer, known as Stella, since the child’s November 2021 arrival in the United States with her mother from Indonesia. Mack was immediately arrested at O’Hare Airport and has been in U.S. custody ever since, under indictment for conspiring to kill her own mother, Sheila von Wiese-Mack, in 2014.
[.....]
Miller said Stella’s placement with Hellmann was “not the most ideal situation.” The pair have had just a handful of virtual visits as part of the ongoing custody dispute. However, the judge also complained that Stella’s first caretaker in the United States, attorney Vanessa Favia, relinquished custody of Stella after seven months. The woman who previously cared for Stella in Indonesia, Oshar Suartama, came to Illinois in June to take custody of the girl.

Now Suartama’s attorney says her client must leave the United States by Friday.
[.....]
Mack told the judge that Hellmann “hasn’t said one word to any of us for years.” Later, after the judge ordered Stella into Hellmann’s care effective Friday, Mack asked for an additional order that she be allowed to visit virtually with her daughter.

“I’m sure that I would be denied access from Ms. Hellmann,” Mack said.

Hellmann’s attorney, Clarke Mac Gillespie, said his client would “absolutely” facilitate those visits if approved by Stella’s therapist. The therapist did not object, so Miller also ordered weekly visits between Mack and Stella.
Wow. IMO this was the best choice.

Finally a decision!

Nov. 18, 2022

A Cook County judge ordered Heather Mack’s 7-year-old daughter into the temporary care of a maternal cousin of Mack’s from Colorado at the end of a contentious, hourslong hearing Thursday — despite Mack asking the judge from jail to choose the girl’s grandmother instead.

Lisa Hellmann will become the third person to care for Estelle Schaefer, known as Stella, since the child’s November 2021 arrival in the United States with her mother from Indonesia. Mack was immediately arrested at O’Hare Airport and has been in U.S. custody ever since, under indictment for conspiring to kill her own mother, Sheila von Wiese-Mack, in 2014.
[.....]
Miller said Stella’s placement with Hellmann was “not the most ideal situation.” The pair have had just a handful of virtual visits as part of the ongoing custody dispute. However, the judge also complained that Stella’s first caretaker in the United States, attorney Vanessa Favia, relinquished custody of Stella after seven months. The woman who previously cared for Stella in Indonesia, Oshar Suartama, came to Illinois in June to take custody of the girl.

Now Suartama’s attorney says her client must leave the United States by Friday.
[.....]
Mack told the judge that Hellmann “hasn’t said one word to any of us for years.” Later, after the judge ordered Stella into Hellmann’s care effective Friday, Mack asked for an additional order that she be allowed to visit virtually with her daughter.

“I’m sure that I would be denied access from Ms. Hellmann,” Mack said.

Hellmann’s attorney, Clarke Mac Gillespie, said his client would “absolutely” facilitate those visits if approved by Stella’s therapist. The therapist did not object, so Miller also ordered weekly visits between Mack and Stella.
This isn’t a permanent custody decision so much as it’s once again a temporary placement because OS has suddenly decided she needs to leave the US. Or has her visa expired? So confusing. Anyway, she is apparently still in the running for permanent custody.

i guess this decision helps to determine if Sheila’s niece can handle custody of Stella, especially with the added unfortunate bonus ruling that HM is to get weekly virtual visits.

It’s disappointing to read that KW has been causing some difficulties and Is not getting on well with the judge. I’m sure she’s frustrated but it doesn’t bode well for any shot at custody, or even visitation, for her. Even more disappointing to read that VF was willing to jump back into temporary custody because OS couldn’t do it anymore. Makes me believe that’s the reason she gave it up the last time, so OS could come back to the US for a while, rather than the family health emergency reason I believe she gave. I’d still love to know if Stella’s trust fund paid for OS’s stay in the US. Is the trust also paying for all this court time?

MOO

This isn’t a permanent custody decision so much as it’s once again a temporary placement because OS has suddenly decided she needs to leave the US. Or has her visa expired? So confusing. Anyway, she is apparently still in the running for permanent custody.

i guess this decision helps to determine if Sheila’s niece can handle custody of Stella, especially with the added unfortunate bonus ruling that HM is to get weekly virtual visits.

It’s disappointing to read that KW has been causing some difficulties and Is not getting on well with the judge. I’m sure she’s frustrated but it doesn’t bode well for any shot at custody, or even visitation, for her. Even more disappointing to read that VF was willing to jump back into temporary custody because OS couldn’t do it anymore. Makes me believe that’s the reason she gave it up the last time, so OS could come back to the US for a while, rather than the family health emergency reason I believe she gave. I’d still love to know if Stella’s trust fund paid for OS’s stay in the US. Is the trust also paying for all this court time?

MOO
What a mess. Maybe it’s in the best interest for the child to be placed with an outside party at this point… JMO.

“In the motion, Mack's defense attorneys argue she is not a flight risk, saying she "has no means to travel" and has already forfeited her passport. They also argue, despite her Indonesian conviction for her mother's murder, she poses no danger to the community.”

Hahahahaha….not a flight risk? No means to travel? No danger to the community? Hopefully the judge deciding this motion is on top of this case and has HM’s number.

MOO

Mack is set to go to trial in federal court in Chicago on July 31.

@Kamille - any updates on a court hearing for this motion that was just filed?

TIA! :)
Hi Niner,

Looks like there was a hearing yesterday. As expected, HM wants out so she can go live in Beverly Hills and take Stella with her to live with “Aunt Diana”. It’s always been about the money for HM and she’ll take it anyway she can get it IMO.

Looks like Mack was in court yesterday.

Nov. 29, 2022

Heather Mack hopes to regain custody of her 7-year-old daughter if a federal judge grants Mack’s recent request to be released from jail while she awaits trial for the alleged murder conspiracy that sparked a years-long international legal drama.

Mack, 27, testified for roughly three hours Monday during a state-court bench trial meant to decide the fate of Mack’s child, Estelle Schaefer. Mack confirmed for Cook County Judge Stephanie Miller that she prefers that the girl, known as Stella, be placed in the care of Diana Roque Ellis of California if a woman who previously cared for Stella in Indonesia, Oshar Suartama, is unavailable.
[.....]
For now, Stella is in the care of a maternal cousin of Mack’s, Lisa Hellmann of Colorado. Mack said Monday she has concerns about that arrangement, but she acknowledged they were lessened by a recent virtual visit with Stella.

Hi Niner,

Looks like there was a hearing yesterday. As expected, HM wants out so she can go live in Beverly Hills and take Stella with her to live with “Aunt Diana”. It’s always been about the money for HM and she’ll take it anyway she can get it IMO.

Now how come I did not see your post before I did mine.... strange... and Thanks!

“But when told by one of Ellis' attorneys that Hellmann had previously testified about Mack's "propensity for violence," Mack said, "Lisa has no idea what kind of a mother I was to Stella."

No, but she’s well versed in what kind of a daughter you were to your murdered mother. Those pesky police and juvenile records still exist.

“Hellmann's own attorney, Clarke Mac Gillespie, told the judge early in the trial that Ellis and Suartama had struck deals that would lead to Stella's exploitation. Stella's court-appointed advocate has accused Ellis of wanting custody of Stella for a documentary - a claim Ellis' attorneys have called "way out of line."

Gillespie insisted to the judge Monday that he had "at least one page" of an agreement between Mack, Ellis and P&L Media dated Aug. 17, 2021 - around the time news broke that Mack would be leaving her Indonesian prison. But Mack only confirmed that she and Ellis had discussed such contracts in the past and that they are "no longer involved.
"

Proof that the documentary was set to be done as soon as the 3 of them landed in LA and were put up at “Aunt Diana’s” mansion. Good thing the feds had other plans for them since she did allegedly conspire to kill her mother before going to Bali. :rolleyes:

Just for reference…

The woman who cared for Heather Mack’s daughter overseas testified Tuesday she signed part of her life story over to a TV production company in the United States for $2,800 last year but then tried to take it back, claiming she signed the deal under duress.

Oshar Suartama also acknowledged that she let P&L Media film Mack’s daughter, Estelle Schaefer, at her home in Indonesia shortly before Mack, now 26, returned to Chicago in November 2021. The girl would have been 6 years old at the time.

This was also done in 2021 by the same company P&L Media.

Wonder why she testified if the Judge already made his ruling....
I’m not sure why she’s getting so much court time for this either. It appears that the hearing yesterday was again, HM trying to manipulate Stella into the best possible position for HM and not for Stella. It was not a hearing regarding her request to be released on bail.

MOO

Finally a court date for Mack.

Nov. 30, 2022
[.....

Mack is scheduled to be back in federal court in person the morning of Dec. 21 for a status hearing.

Last edited:

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jzouzie