GUILTY IL - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, in suitcase in Bali, 12 Aug 2014 *fnd guilty in Bali* #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
@Kamille - just going thru some oldies - and wondering if there might be a court hearing date yet?

TIA! :)
Sorry Niner, haven’t been on the board for awhile and missed your post. I have not seen anything regarding any new court dates for HM. Probably won’t prior to the start of her trial unless she stirs up some more controversy with her sketchy attorney. :p

Sorry Niner, haven’t been on the board for awhile and missed your post. I have not seen anything regarding any new court dates for HM. Probably won’t prior to the start of her trial unless she stirs up some more controversy with her sketchy attorney. :p

LOL!
No need to be sorry - real life happens! :) And thank you for the update!

LOL!
No need to be sorry - real life happens! :) And thank you for the update!
A little news came out today. There has been 12 days of testimony in a custody hearing for Stella and the judge has ruled that she will remain in her current arrangement with the cousin from Colorado. OS was no longer an option due to a “residency issue” so I guess she’s finally realized that she is not going to be able to raise Stella.

A little news came out today. There has been 12 days of testimony in a custody hearing for Stella and the judge has ruled that she will remain in her current arrangement with the cousin from Colorado. OS was no longer an option due to a “residency issue” so I guess she’s finally realized that she is not going to be able to raise Stella.

Who did Mack want her child to be with? And where is OS now?

Who did Mack want her child to be with? And where is OS now?

from the article you quoted in your post.

There were four people initially seeking custody of the girl, but due to a residency issue with one woman, only three petitioners were eligible. They included Hellman, Shcaefer's mother Kia Walker, and a California woman Diana Ellis.

Mack wanted her child to go Diana Ellis, but Judge said he didn't believe she would not exploit the situation (for $$). And OS I believe is back in Bali.

An article with a little more information on how and why the judge made the decision to make LH, HM’s cousin, Stella’s permanent guardian while HM is incarcerated. Glad she was able to see right through “Aunt Diana’s” plans for exploiting the situation.

“Miller said another petitioner, Diana Roque Ellis of California, appeared to be at the center of efforts to exploit Stella through book or TV productions about the murder of von Wiese-Mack.

“She is the one who has started all of this in motion,” Miller said. “And the court has serious concerns about her credibility and her judgment.”

Ellis’ attorney, Enrico Mirabelli, disputed such claims during his closing argument Tuesday and said his client was a “loving, caring person who would make Stella a priority.”

This is the best possible outcome for this little girl. She's being raised by actual family and the victims family, and Heather didn't get a say in it, and Stella stays in the US. Yay!

This is the best possible outcome for this little girl. She's being raised by actual family and the victims family, and Heather didn't get a say in it, and Stella stays in the US. Yay!
I agree, it is probably the best decision for Stella. I just hope Kia Walker is welcome to communicate and see her Granddaughter enough to feel recognized by Stella as family too. (Kia is even more actual family.) It'd be nice if Kia is encouraged to have a part in Stella's life in some way, given some time to be a part of her life.

She is her Grandmother, after all. She never quit trying to be part of Stella's life from the very start, and she deserves to have a relationship of some sort with her Granddaughter. Someday, Stella is going to be grown-up and wondering more about her father and that side of the family, and that link shouldn't be cut off. Just my own opinion.

I agree, it is probably the best decision for Stella. I just hope Kia Walker is welcome to communicate and see her Granddaughter enough to feel recognized by Stella as family too. (Kia is even more actual family.) It'd be nice if Kia is encouraged to have a part in Stella's life in some way, given some time to be a part of her life.

She is her Grandmother, after all. She never quit trying to be part of Stella's life from the very start, and she deserves to have a relationship of some sort with her Granddaughter. Someday, Stella is going to be grown-up and wondering more about her father and that side of the family, and that link shouldn't be cut off. Just my own opinion.
i don't know. Debbie's daughter is Stella's first cousin, so I don't necessarily agree about Kia being a closer relative. We don't know what kind of relationship Debbie's daughter has with Kia. She hasn't come out and said that she's cutting Kia off.

i don't know. Debbie's daughter is Stella's first cousin, so I don't necessarily agree about Kia being a closer relative. We don't know what kind of relationship Debbie's daughter has with Kia. She hasn't come out and said that she's cutting Kia off.
Actually, Debbie’s daughter is HM’s first cousin and she would be Stella’s first cousin once removed. Kia is Stella’s paternal grandmother and should be allowed to be in her life in some way considering that even HM is likely still communicating with Stella. I don’t know what has been happening in the courtroom with regards to Kia however so I suppose it would be Stella’s therapist who would determine if she should have contact with her. I can imagine Kia’s frustration with all of this and her ongoing worry about her son’s situation but I hope she hasn’t burned any bridges with regards to having contact with her granddaughter.

MOO

Monday, March 6th:
*Telephone Conference Hearing (conspiracy) (@ 8:40am CT) –IL - Sheila von Wiese-Mack (62) (killed in Bali on 8/12/14 by daughter & her bf Tommy Schaefer at the St. Regis Bali Resort Hotel in Bali, Indonesia) - *Heather Mack (19 @ time of crime/26/now 27) Federal indictment (2017), charged & arrested (11/3/21) & arraigned (11/3/21) with conspiracy to kill in a foreign country, conspiracy to commit foreign murder of a U.S. national & obstruction of justice. Plead not guilty (11/3/21). Held without bond. Denied bond on 12/8/22.
Bench trial began on 9/6/22 for custody of Stella & ended on 11/18/22 with Cook County Judge Stephanie Miller ordering temporary care of Stella to Lisa Hellman, whose mother is/was sister of Sheila.
Federal Trial set to begin on 7/31/23. (3 week trial)

Info on Mack’s previous crime & case info from 11/12/21 thru 6/29/22 & Bench Trial Day 1-25 (9/6/22 to 10/7/22) & thru 12/5/22 reference post #615 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-aug-2014-fnd-guilty-in-bali-6.593581/page-31

12/8/22 Update: U.S. District Judge Matthew Kennelly denied Mack’s release request Thursday after a short hearing that saw relatives of her mother Sheila von Wiese-Mack testify against her. Judge said there is “plenty of reason to believe she is a danger to the community.” Status hearing on 12/21/22.
2/21/23 Update: Cook County Judge Stephanie Miller ruled on Tuesday Mack's daughter would remain where she is (Colorado with cousin), citing testimony & evidence as well as concerns about the girl's care with other petitioners. 3/2/23 Update: Next telephone conference on 3/6/23 @ 8:40am.

Not sure if TS’s cousin RB is actually posting to his social media or if he’s got someone else doing it for him (contraband smart phones in prison seem to be pretty common these days) but nevertheless it appears he’s expecting to be released in 11 months.

Tuesday, March 28th:
*Telephone Conference Hearing (@ 8:40am CT) –IL - Sheila von Wiese-Mack (62) (killed in Bali on 8/12/14 by daughter & her bf Tommy Schaefer at the St. Regis Bali Resort Hotel in Bali, Indonesia) - *Heather Mack (19 @ time of crime/26/now 27) Federal indictment (2017), charged & arrested (11/3/21) & arraigned (11/3/21) with conspiracy to kill in a foreign country, conspiracy to commit foreign murder of a U.S. national & obstruction of justice. Plead not guilty (11/3/21). Held without bond. Denied bond on 12/8/22.
Bench trial began on 9/6/22 for custody of Stella & ended on 11/18/22 with Cook County Judge Stephanie Miller ordering temporary care of Stella to Lisa Hellman, whose mother is/was sister of Sheila.

Info on Mack’s previous crime & case info from 11/12/21 thru 6/29/22 & Bench Trial Day 1-25 (9/6/22 to 10/7/22) & thru 2/21/23 reference post #632 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-aug-2014-fnd-guilty-in-bali-6.593581/page-32

3/2/23 Update: Next telephone conference on 3/6/23 @ 8:40am. 3/6/23 Update: Next telephone conference hearing on 3/28/23.

April 15, 2023

The day Heather Mack and her mother Sheila von Wiese-Mack went to O’Hare Airport for a trip to Bali in August 2014, Mack, then 18, was trading text messages with her 21-year-old boyfriend, according to a new court filing in the murder conspiracy case.

In documents filed late Friday in Chicago, federal prosecutors say he told her, “I can’t wait to be rich … Its crazy af Like Money Nothing rules the world.”

They say Mack responded to boyfriend Tommy Schaefer the next day, saying, “Keep your head up … Trips going as planned baby … faith.”

Schaefer replied, the filing shows, that he had “a lot of faith” in Mack, but she didn’t know “that a lot of things aren’t in her control.”
[.....]
Though Mack and Schaefer were tried and convicted in Indonesia in 2015, their fate is still unclear. Mack was deported from Indonesia in 2021 after serving seven years there for assisting with her mother’s killing.

She now faces another trial over her mother’s death, this time in federal court in Chicago, ahead of which she’s being held downtown at the Metropolitan Correctional Center.
[.....]
The 36-page document that prosecutors filed in Chicago Friday night in the nearly decade-old case contains excerpts of a transcript of a recorded conversation between Mack and a relative of Schaefer identified only as “K.W.” It says the recording wasn’t made at the prompting of law enforcement officials. Prosecutors said they only learned later that it existed.

April 15, 2023

The day Heather Mack and her mother Sheila von Wiese-Mack went to O’Hare Airport for a trip to Bali in August 2014, Mack, then 18, was trading text messages with her 21-year-old boyfriend, according to a new court filing in the murder conspiracy case.

In documents filed late Friday in Chicago, federal prosecutors say he told her, “I can’t wait to be rich … Its crazy af Like Money Nothing rules the world.”

They say Mack responded to boyfriend Tommy Schaefer the next day, saying, “Keep your head up … Trips going as planned baby … faith.”

Schaefer replied, the filing shows, that he had “a lot of faith” in Mack, but she didn’t know “that a lot of things aren’t in her control.”
[.....]
Though Mack and Schaefer were tried and convicted in Indonesia in 2015, their fate is still unclear. Mack was deported from Indonesia in 2021 after serving seven years there for assisting with her mother’s killing.

She now faces another trial over her mother’s death, this time in federal court in Chicago, ahead of which she’s being held downtown at the Metropolitan Correctional Center.
[.....]
The 36-page document that prosecutors filed in Chicago Friday night in the nearly decade-old case contains excerpts of a transcript of a recorded conversation between Mack and a relative of Schaefer identified only as “K.W.” It says the recording wasn’t made at the prompting of law enforcement officials. Prosecutors said they only learned later that it existed.
So in this article she's admitting to Kia that she recruited Tommy to kill Sheila for her.

Thursday, April 20th:
*Telephone Conference Hearing (@ 8:45am CT) –IL - Sheila von Wiese-Mack (62) (killed in Bali on 8/12/14 by daughter & her bf Tommy Schaefer at the St. Regis Bali Resort Hotel in Bali, Indonesia) - *Heather Mack (19 @ time of crime/26/now 27) Federal indictment (2017), charged & arrested (11/3/21) & arraigned (11/3/21) with conspiracy to kill in a foreign country, conspiracy to commit foreign murder of a U.S. national & obstruction of justice. Plead not guilty (11/3/21). Held without bond. Denied bond on 12/8/22.

Info on Mack’s previous crime & case info from 11/12/21 thru 6/29/22 & Bench Trial Day 1-25 (9/6/22 to 10/7/22) & thru 2/21/23 reference post #632 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-aug-2014-fnd-guilty-in-bali-6.593581/page-32

3/2/23 Update: Next telephone conference on 3/6/23 @ 8:40am. 3/6/23 Update: Next telephone conference hearing on 3/28/23. 3/28/23 Update: Next telephone conference hearing on 4/20/23.
4/15/23 Update: The day Heather Mack & her mother Sheila von Wiese-Mack went to O’Hare Airport for a trip to Bali in August 2014, Mack, then 18, was trading text messages with her 21-year-old boyfriend, according to a new court filing in the murder conspiracy case. In documents filed late Friday in Chicago, federal prosecutors say he told her, “I can’t wait to be rich … Its crazy af Like Money Nothing rules the world.” The 36-page document that prosecutors filed in Chicago Friday night in the nearly decade-old case contains excerpts of a transcript of a recorded conversation between Mack and a relative of Schaefer identified only as “K.W.” It says the recording wasn’t made at the prompting of law enforcement officials. Prosecutors said they only learned later that it existed.

May 5, 2023
Should Heather Mack’s criminal case for her alleged conspiracy to kill her mother go to trial on July 31, her defense team appears prepared to put Sheila von Wiese Mack on trial as well.

In a May 1 filing in response to a prosecution motion, Mack’s defense attorney Mike Leonard said he would delve into various aspects of Sheila von Wiese’s mental health, her use of alcohol and her relationship with her late husband, James Mack.

In a pair of April 17 motions, the prosecution asked the judge to allow prior acts of both fraud and violence by Heather Mack against her mother to be admitted under established exceptions to federal hearsay rules. The motions, they said, were filed for the “… purposes of establishing defendant’s motive and intent to commit the (murder of von Wiese).”
[.....]
Leonard filed a response May 1, arguing against the government’s requests, saying Mack’s alleged prior bad acts have nothing to do with the offenses with which she is charged, and would lead to “undue prejudice to Heather Mack and juror confusion.”

He also stated that the evidence will show that it was Tommy Schaefer, Mack’s boyfriend, and not Mack, who murdered von Wiese.

a lot more in the article

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back