GUILTY IL - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, in suitcase in Bali, 12 Aug 2014 *fnd guilty in Bali* #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

May 5, 2023
Should Heather Mack’s criminal case for her alleged conspiracy to kill her mother go to trial on July 31, her defense team appears prepared to put Sheila von Wiese Mack on trial as well.

In a May 1 filing in response to a prosecution motion, Mack’s defense attorney Mike Leonard said he would delve into various aspects of Sheila von Wiese’s mental health, her use of alcohol and her relationship with her late husband, James Mack.

In a pair of April 17 motions, the prosecution asked the judge to allow prior acts of both fraud and violence by Heather Mack against her mother to be admitted under established exceptions to federal hearsay rules. The motions, they said, were filed for the “… purposes of establishing defendant’s motive and intent to commit the (murder of von Wiese).”
[.....]
Leonard filed a response May 1, arguing against the government’s requests, saying Mack’s alleged prior bad acts have nothing to do with the offenses with which she is charged, and would lead to “undue prejudice to Heather Mack and juror confusion.”

He also stated that the evidence will show that it was Tommy Schaefer, Mack’s boyfriend, and not Mack, who murdered von Wiese.

a lot more in the article
What? Are they actually using the defense that Sheila “deserved” what happened to her?! Why does anyone think that’s a good defense unless that person was threatening their life right at the moment they were spontaneously killed? Planning a murder for months, perhaps years, and conspiring with others for help is quite a different situation. Poor Sheila, if I had an abusive husband and daughter, I’d probably drink a lot and be angry sometimes too. How many times did HM turn up with bruises and broken bones? Anyway, this was not a situation of self defense and HM had ample opportunity to tell authorities that she was “suffering“ while living with her mother if that was the case. Her mother actually saw to it that she was receiving therapy and no one for years thought she should be removed from the home. Didn’t they actually eventually tell Sheila to throw her out and she wouldn’t because she loved her too much to do that?

This is just about HM attacking everyone in her life that she seems to feel did her wrong somehow, especially since nothing seems to have gone the way she planned. Is she aware that her precious father is going to be raked over the coals too by going this route? We dug up some stuff on him early on that wasn’t very flattering. They both may have had a volatile relationship and poor parenting skills but that doesn’t justify conspiracy to commit premeditated murder. Can you imagine if it did?!

MOO

So is Jeffrey Steinbeck still on HM’s defense “team”? Is Mike Leonard a public defender and doing all the lead up work that the taxpayers are footing the bill for and then Steinbeck will come in for the trial to get his name in the news? I wonder if Aunt Diana is paying for him or if he’s going to do it pro bono for the publicity? i can’t imagine someone who was supposed to be such a good friend to Sheila would want to pay an attorney to drag her name through the mud in public court proceedings to appease her murderous daughter.

MOO

"Mack was arrested on five occasions, was placed on one year of court supervision for battering her mother and was ordered hospitalized for psychiatric evaluation and treatment on at least three occasions."

These were the juvie records we couldn't see back when all this was being tried in Indonesia.

"Despite previous media accounts that von Wiese viewed her nursing of James Mack after his crippling injury as “the richest experience of my life,” the truth was in fact more complicated. Numerous interviews indicate that James Mack was frequently abusive to von Wiese. She told several people that James Mack “did not respect her,” and that he would verbally and also physically abuse her, often in Heather Mack’s presence.

Von Wiese told several friends that Heather Mack would tell her, “Well dad does it to you, so I can too.”"

I guess we know where Heather learned her behavior.

What? Are they actually using the defense that Sheila “deserved” what happened to her?! Why does anyone think that’s a good defense unless that person was threatening their life right at the moment they were spontaneously killed? Planning a murder for months, perhaps years, and conspiring with others for help is quite a different situation. Poor Sheila, if I had an abusive husband and daughter, I’d probably drink a lot and be angry sometimes too. How many times did HM turn up with bruises and broken bones? Anyway, this was not a situation of self defense and HM had ample opportunity to tell authorities that she was “suffering“ while living with her mother if that was the case. Her mother actually saw to it that she was receiving therapy and no one for years thought she should be removed from the home. Didn’t they actually eventually tell Sheila to throw her out and she wouldn’t because she loved her too much to do that?

This is just about HM attacking everyone in her life that she seems to feel did her wrong somehow, especially since nothing seems to have gone the way she planned. Is she aware that her precious father is going to be raked over the coals too by going this route? We dug up some stuff on him early on that wasn’t very flattering. They both may have had a volatile relationship and poor parenting skills but that doesn’t justify conspiracy to commit premeditated murder. Can you imagine if it did?!

MOO
I think attacking Sheila's character is all the defense has. It seems Sheila did drink a lot. But seriously, who cares? What does that have to do with her daughter murdering her. Heather was 18, pregnant, and could have left if it was because Sheila was such a bad mom. But it wasn't about that. It was about Heather wanting the money.

May 12, 2023

Heather Mack must face trial for conspiracy to murder her mother, a judge ruled May 10. The ruling denying a defense motion to dismiss count 2 of the indictment, Conspiracy to Murder, means Mack will stand trial for the most serious charge, which carries a sentence of between 40 years to life in prison upon conviction.

Mack also faces two lesser charges related to her attempt to hide evidence of the August 2014 crime in Bali, Indonesia.

Mack’s attorney, Michael Leonard filed the motion to dismiss in February. He argued, among other things, that the government failed to demonstrate that it obtained approval of the U.S. Attorney General to prosecute her for the foreign murder of Sheila von Wiese Mack, as required under Section 1119 of the U.S. Criminal Code.

That section bars the prosecution of a defendant in the United States where the defendant was previously prosecuted by a foreign country. Mack was convicted in Indonesia in April 2015 of aiding in the murder of her mother, with boyfriend Tommy Schafer. He remains imprisoned in Indonesia serving an 18-year sentence.

I shall shorten this up a bit... :)

Thursday, June 1st:
*Telephone Conference Hearing (@ 8:45am CT) –IL - Sheila von Wiese-Mack (62) (killed in Bali on 8/12/14 by daughter & her bf Tommy Schaefer at the St. Regis Bali Resort Hotel in Bali, Indonesia) - *Heather Mack (19 @ time of crime/26/now 27) Federal indictment (2017), charged & arrested (11/3/21) & arraigned (11/3/21) with conspiracy to kill in a foreign country, conspiracy to commit foreign murder of a U.S. national & obstruction of justice. Plead not guilty (11/3/21). Held without bond. Denied bond on 12/8/22.
Bench trial began on 9/6/22 for custody of Stella & ended on 11/18/22 with Cook County Judge Stephanie Miller ordering temporary care of Stella to Lisa Hellman, whose mother is/was sister of Sheila.
Federal Trial set to begin on 7/31/23. (3 week trial)

Info on Mack’s previous crime & case info from 11/12/21 thru 6/29/22 & Bench Trial Day 1-25 (9/6/22 to 10/7/22) & thru 3/28/23 reference post #639 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-aug-2014-fnd-guilty-in-bali-6.593581/page-32

4/15/23 Update: The day Heather Mack & her mother Sheila von Wiese-Mack went to O’Hare Airport for a trip to Bali in August 2014, Mack, then 18, was trading text messages with her 21-year-old boyfriend, according to a new court filing in the murder conspiracy case. In documents filed late Friday in Chicago, federal prosecutors say he told her, “I can’t wait to be rich … Its crazy af Like Money Nothing rules the world.” The 36-page document that prosecutors filed in Chicago Friday night in the nearly decade-old case contains excerpts of a transcript of a recorded conversation between Mack and a relative of Schaefer identified only as “K.W.” It says the recording wasn’t made at the prompting of law enforcement officials. Prosecutors said they only learned later that it existed. Next telephone conference hearing on 4/20/23.
5/1/23 Update: In a May 1 filing in response to a prosecution motion, Mack’s defense attorney Mike Leonard said he would delve into various aspects of Sheila von Wiese’s mental health, her use of alcohol & her relationship with her late husband, James Mack. In a pair of April 17 motions, the prosecution asked the judge to allow prior acts of both fraud & violence by Heather Mack against her mother to be admitted under established exceptions to federal hearsay rules. The motions, they said, were filed for the “purposes of establishing defendant’s motive & intent to commit the (murder of von Wiese).” Leonard filed a response May 1, arguing against the government’s requests, saying Mack’s alleged prior bad acts have nothing to do with the offenses with which she is charged, and would lead to “undue prejudice to Heather Mack & juror confusion.”
5/10/23 Update: Mack must face trial for conspiracy to murder her mother, a judge ruled May 10. The ruling denying a defense motion to dismiss count 2 of the indictment, Conspiracy to Murder, means Mack will stand trial for the most serious charge, which carries a sentence of between 40 years to life in prison upon conviction. Mack also faces two lesser charges related to her attempt to hide evidence of the August 2014 crime in Bali, Indonesia. Mack’s attorney, Michael Leonard filed the motion to dismiss in February, 2023. He argued, among other things, that the government failed to demonstrate that it obtained approval of the U.S. Attorney General to prosecute her for the foreign murder of von Wiese Mack, as required under Section 1119 of the U.S. Criminal Code. In response to Mack’s motion to dismiss, the government argued that the limitations of section 1119 do not apply because while section 1119 was mentioned in the indictment, Mack is formally charged with violating section 1117, not section 1119. “The court agrees with the government,” Judge Matthew F. Kennelly wrote after summarizing the defense & prosecution arguments in his ruling.
5/27/23 Update: Next telephone conference hearing on 6/1/23 @ 8:45am.

There will be a change of plea hearing on June 15.
1685649493489.png
Story by By KATHLEEN FOODY, Associated Press • 1h ago

The Chicago woman facing federal conspiracy charges in the 2014 killing of her mother during a luxury vacation in Bali plans to plead guilty, her attorney said Thursday, June 1, 2023.

A Chicago woman facing federal conspiracy charges in the 2014 killing of her mother during a luxury vacation in Bali plans to plead guilty, her attorney said Thursday.

The details of any plea agreement or potential penalties under discussion by Heather Mack and U.S. prosecutors remain unclear. Her attorney, Michael Leonard, said Mack's defense has been in negotiations with federal prosecutors “over the last several weeks” ahead of her trial set to begin
Aug. 1.

“We anticipate that the parties will be in a position to enter
a written plea agreement, and proceed with a change of plea hearing on June 15,” Leonard said in an email.

The Chicago Tribune and Chicago Sun-Times reported that prosecutors also told a judge Thursday they expect Mack will plead guilty but the parties were still negotiating.

Jun 1, 2023, 7:39am PDT

The prosecutor told the judge she expects Mack’s case to “resolve by plea,” but cautioned that “we are still working out some specific language.”

Last edited:
Here, now more readable.
Chicago Tribune - Jun 01, 2023 at 2:49 pm
Now, it appears Mack’s legal saga will take another turn, as federal prosecutors in Chicago announced Thursday she plans to plead guilty in the murder conspiracy case against her, which had been set for trial in August.

In a brief telephone status hearing at the Dirksen U.S. Courthouse on Thursday, prosecutors said that they had made “significant progress” in plea negotiations, though the language of the deal was still being finalized.

U.S. District Judge Matthew Kennelly set a change of plea hearing for June 15 and scrapped all deadlines for pretrial motions. The judge did keep the Aug. 1 trial date intact, however, in case the deal falls through.

It’s not surprising that Mack’s case would be resolved without a trial considering the breadth of the evidence against her and the fact that the charge carries a potential life sentence. No possible sentencing considerations were immediately disclosed.

Here, now more readable.
Chicago Tribune - Jun 01, 2023 at 2:49 pm
Now, it appears Mack’s legal saga will take another turn, as federal prosecutors in Chicago announced Thursday she plans to plead guilty in the murder conspiracy case against her, which had been set for trial in August.

In a brief telephone status hearing at the Dirksen U.S. Courthouse on Thursday, prosecutors said that they had made “significant progress” in plea negotiations, though the language of the deal was still being finalized.

U.S. District Judge Matthew Kennelly set a change of plea hearing for June 15 and scrapped all deadlines for pretrial motions. The judge did keep the Aug. 1 trial date intact, however, in case the deal falls through.

It’s not surprising that Mack’s case would be resolved without a trial considering the breadth of the evidence against her and the fact that the charge carries a potential life sentence. No possible sentencing considerations were immediately disclosed.
I loathe her. She has the same “affliction” as Baby Gabriel’s mother and casey anthony. Extremely evil and entitled women who seem to get away with murder. Zero remorse.

I really hope she does serious time for this. Not just a few years. Her child needs to be separated from her totally. That woman is dangerous and evil and can only bring the child harm. IMO.

Well this is an interesting turn of events. I wonder what they are negotiating for her to plead guilty to? I sure hope the sentencing on any guilty plea reflects the seriousness of the crime and doesn’t have her out quickly with time served. :rolleyes:

More info in this report….

In agreeing to a plea deal and avoiding a trial, Mack saves the government time and resources. Prosecutors have informed the court that “the trial would involve the testimony of multiple foreign witnesses,” and that that would “… require arranging their travel from Indonesia and securing the services of interpreters,” as well as lodging and meals.

The federal sentencing guidelines chart places Mack’s offense level at 43, the highest possible, carrying a minimum of 40 years and up to life in prison upon conviction.

Any plea deal will most likely give Mack a three point reduction in her “offense level,” specifically a two point reduction for her “affirmative acceptance” of personal responsibility for her crimes, and a one point reduction for her “timely notification of intention to enter a guilty plea.”

The reduction to 40 points would place her statutory sentencing range at between 292 months and 365 months, approximately 24 to 30 years, though that is advisory.

Prior to sentencing, both the prosecution and defense will submit sentencing memos to the court, arguing for what they consider to be a just term of imprisonment.

Kennelly is not bound to accept the terms of any plea agreement or sentencing recommendations from the prosecution or defense and may sentence Mack to a term higher or lower than the recommended range. However, federal judges usually pass sentences within the recommended range.

Does her pleading guilty give her a leg to stand on for making money off of this? Could it be an alford plea? Time credited for all her time already served? If so that could let her out in 10 years or less with good behavior. I hope this is NOT the case. Don't trust her one iota and for her to suddenly change.... something is up.

Does her pleading guilty give her a leg to stand on for making money off of this? Could it be an alford plea? Time credited for all her time already served? If so that could let her out in 10 years or less with good behavior. I hope this is NOT the case. Don't trust her one iota and for her to suddenly change.... something is up.
There is a LOT of evidence in this case for a conviction and if it goes to trial she will likely be found guilty. The minimum sentence for a guilty verdict at trial for her charge and offense level is 40 years, the maximum is life. The defense knows this and the only thing they can do for her is to try to reduce her sentence. I don’t think they could do this with an Alford plea. They can do this however by negotiating her offense level by making things easier on everyone involved. If she pleads guilty, it saves a LOT of time and money that would have to be spent on the trial and it supposedly means that she is owning up to and taking responsibility for her actions so her reward is a much lower sentence. The defense and prosecution are supposedly working out a deal that will lower her offense level if she pleads guilty and therefore possibly give her a chance at a minimum of 24 years up to a maximum of 30 years. They will likely deduct the time served since she has been in jail after returning to the US but not the time served in Bali IMO. It really is the best deal she can get but she is pretty unpredictable and I don’t trust her either so who knows what might actually happen. :rolleyes:

MOO

There is a LOT of evidence in this case for a conviction and if it goes to trial she will likely be found guilty. The minimum sentence for a guilty verdict at trial for her charge and offense level is 40 years, the maximum is life. The defense knows this and the only thing they can do for her is to try to reduce her sentence. I don’t think they could do this with an Alford plea. They can do this however by negotiating her offense level by making things easier on everyone involved. If she pleads guilty, it saves a LOT of time and money that would have to be spent on the trial and it supposedly means that she is owning up to and taking responsibility for her actions so her reward is a much lower sentence. The defense and prosecution are supposedly working out a deal that will lower her offense level if she pleads guilty and therefore possibly give her a chance at a minimum of 24 years up to a maximum of 30 years. They will likely deduct the time served since she has been in jail after returning to the US but not the time served in Bali IMO. It really is the best deal she can get but she is pretty unpredictable and I don’t trust her either so who knows what might actually happen. :rolleyes:

MOO
You are right. She's a schemer alright. That's a trait I pray Stella doesn't inherit.

It's acceptable, as easy as the justice system is on criminals these days, with her receiving 24 or more years. It was bloody terrible what she did to Shelia. I won't repeat the terror Shelia surely endured but we remember.

I recall back in the days, before the murder, when she and her mom still resided in the nice home in Chicago. If Shelia's daughter had not gotten turned round and began backtalking and backstabbing her mother and showed love and appreciation; instead, it'd be a better day.

After serving 24, her baby girl will have graduated HS, hopefully attended and graduated from college and go onto possess a nice job, maybe marry w children. Shelia's lovely great grandchildren. Baby S deserves better than to be known as Shelia's granddaughter who was born in a Bali prison due to her mother's fatal misdeeds. I wish Baby S love, peace and bountiful happiness.

I see she’s back talking to the press. I can’t believe they are offering her such a sweet deal. Once again she’s going to be way under sentenced. This was first degree pre meditated murder. She should be in prison for life. :mad:

The Post can exclusively reveal that “Suitcase Killer” Heather Mack will plead guilty in the US to her part in the brutal 2014 murder of her socialite mother during a luxury vacation in Bali.

Mack, 27, has a change of plea hearing scheduled for June 15 — six week before her trial is set to begin on Aug. 1 in Chicago.

“We were offered a good plea. First, it was 15 to 35 [years]; now they are saying zero to 25 years, including time served,” she told The Post.

[…]

“I have served nearly ten years in prison. I felt that I had done my time, so I was gung-ho for trial. Now, after sitting for so long, I know what I have to do,” Mack said of her decision to accept a plea deal.

“I’m going to be a felon in America, and that is fine. I understand from [the US government’s] perspective that, if I don’t plead guilty and they didn’t indict me, I wouldn’t be a felon. I could become a police officer and work for the government … I could carry a firearm on the street,” she added.

Mack’s attorney Michael Leonard said it is impossible to predict what sentence Mack is likely to be dealt.

“The hope is that the judge will seriously consider the time she has already served and all the underlying circumstances of her life and her relationship with her mom,” Leonard said. “Any federal criminal case requires a constant reassessment of risk and reward. Balancing risk in terms of a potential sentence and trying to minimize the risk to yourself.”

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back