GUILTY IL - Sheila von Wiese Mack, 62, in suitcase in Bali, 12 Aug 2014 *fnd guilty in Bali* #6

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think it might be like here in Australia. No room in the gaols so they get a slap on the wrist or let out early.
They also keep getting bail for new charges when they are already on bail.
Looking at America. There are so many given life without parole. Where do they put them?
Are they constantly building new gaols? MOO
Not enough of these killers get LWOP-- too many get 30-40 or more years and get out in much less for good behavior (barf)----- so the streets are populated with killers who kill again until finally, after they are caught for murder for the 2nd or 3rd time, they get LWOP. I presume they have enough room for those who get LWOP because they keep turning out killers who should not be on the streets

Not too sure this is happening today - as she is not listed under Judge Kennelly today... but I will go ahead & post it & see what happens. :) And not finding any articles on a change of date.

Monday, Dec. 18th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ am CT) –IL - Sheila von Wiese-Mack (62) (killed in Bali on Aug. 12, 2014 by daughter & her bf Tommy Schaefer at the St. Regis Bali Resort Hotel in Bali, Indonesia) - *Heather Mack (19 @ time of crime/26/now 27) Federal indictment (2017), charged & arrested (11/3/21) & arraigned (11/3/21) with conspiracy to kill in a foreign country, conspiracy to commit foreign murder of a U.S. national & obstruction of justice. Plead not guilty (11/3/21). Held without bond. Denied bond on 12/8/22.
Bench trial began on 9/6/22 for custody of Stella & ended on 11/18/22 with Cook County Judge Stephanie Miller ordering temporary care of Stella to Lisa Hellman, whose mother is/was sister of Sheila.
7/3/23 Update: Tommy Schaefer, currently serving an 18-year prison sentence in Bali for the murder of Sheila von Wiese, could be released from Indonesian custody and return to the United States as early as spring of 2026. Schaefer acknowledged his part in von Wiese’s brutal murder in 2014, but called his federal indictment for conspiracy to murder von Wiese “vengeful.” He also reiterated his contention that he never meant to kill her until a heated argument took place in her hotel room. Schaefer has already had four years and two months shaved off his sentence, and in August he will receive another six-month reduction.” With effectively 18 months off his sentence annually, Schaefer can expect release as early as April of 2026 & possibly earlier.
Federal Trial was set to begin on 8/1/23 is now vacated due to guilty plea on 6/16/23. Sentencing on 12/18/23. Defense attorney Michael Leonard.

Info on Mack’s previous crime & case info from 11/12/21 thru 6/29/22 & Bench Trial Day 1-25 (9/6/22 to 10/7/22) & thru 6/1/23 reference post #663 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...-aug-2014-fnd-guilty-in-bali-6.593581/page-34

6/9/23 Update: Change of plea hearing has been rescheduled on 6/16/23 @ 8:30am. 6/16/23 Update: Mack stood before U.S. District Judge Matthew Kennelly as he asked her questions. She spoke confidently & calmly as the judge asked whether she was giving up her right to remain silent at the motion hearing. “Yes, your honor,” Mack responded from a podium. After the judge explained the charge against her, Mack pleaded guilty to one count of conspiracy to kill a U.S. national. The judge set 12/18/23 as sentencing date for Mack. Mack struck a deal with federal prosecutors that would cap her prison sentence at 28 years. But key questions remain. Among them is whether U.S. District Judge Matthew Kennelly will credit Mack with the seven years she spent imprisoned in Indonesia. Another is whether Kennelly will accept the deal at all. Despite the cap on Mack’s sentence, she still seems to face a wide range of outcomes in December. That’s largely because prosecutors have taken the position that Mack should not be credited for the time she spent imprisoned in Indonesia. Mack’s lawyers disagree. As a result, Mack could potentially walk free after her sentencing. Or she could wind up serving a sentence that would keep her behind bars for another 20 years. It’s more likely her sentence will land somewhere in between.

Well - she never appeared on Judge Kennelly's schedule for 12/18 - and have been looking for any new dates, but so far nothing thru 1/5/24. Also searched but not finding anything that she WAS sentenced.

Anyone have better luck in finding why she was not sentenced? New date maybe? TIA!
and an early

Happy New Year Smiley

Finally a sentencing date. I had 12/18 - but of course it did not show up on the Judge's schedule. Per the article it is now on 1/17/24. I shall keep an eye on the Judge's calendar for that date! It only goes up to the 16th - will check it tomorrow :)

Jan. 8, 2023

Lawyers for Heather Mack have asked a federal judge in Chicago to impose the minimum sentence of 15 years in prison and grant her credit for nearly 10 years already spent behind bars for her role in the headline-making murder of her mother, whose bludgeoned body was found stuffed in a suitcase in the Bali resort where they’d been vacationing a decade ago.

With good-time credit, the sentence requested by Mack’s defense team would likely mean she would spend only about three more years in prison for Sheila von Wiese Mack’s gruesome 2014 slaying, which sparked international media attention and led police on a trail that began in suburban Chicago.

In asking for leniency, Mack’s attorneys, Michael Leonard and Jeffrey Steinback, wrote in their 37-page filing that she suffered abuse at the hands of her mother and father at a young age, and later was physically abused and mentally manipulated by her boyfriend, Tommy Schaefer, who was convicted of beating von Weise Mack to death with a heavy fruit bowl stand.
[.....]
They wrote that Mack intends to make her remorse “clear” to U.S. District Judge Matthew Kennelly in her own words at her Jan. 17 sentencing.

Defense is asking for 15 years, with credit for the 7 years she served in Bali. Prosecution is asking for 28 years, the maximum amount allowed under the plea deal.
Hoping for 28 years ( frankly I think life would be better), but be that as it may, she will only spend 15 years ---small price to pay for murdering your mother in a horrific way- and she apparently shows no remorse

I wonder what Heather Mack and Gipsy Rose Blanchard would have to say to each other?
I don't think these two parental murders are really comparable, though obviously both involve murder of the mother. IMO Heather Mack is just plain evil.
Think about what Gypsy Rose Blanchard's mother put her through all of her life!! It was cruel-- so cruel -- I don't condone murder but in some way you can understand why Gypsy did what she did--

In asking for leniency, Mack’s attorneys, Michael Leonard and Jeffrey Steinback, wrote in their 37-page filing that she suffered abuse at the hands of her mother and father at a young age, and later was physically abused and mentally manipulated by her boyfriend, Tommy Schaefer, who was convicted of beating von Weise Mack to death with a heavy fruit bowl stand.

RSBM. Oh please. I know it's her lawyers' jobs to defend her, but I can still eyeroll eyeroll eyeroll at this! The only abusive and mentally manipulative person in this saga is Heather Mack.

RSBM. Oh please. I know it's her lawyers' jobs to defend her, but I can still eyeroll eyeroll eyeroll at this! The only abusive and mentally manipulative person in this saga is Heather Mack.
I hear ya!!! what a crock!
You will notice when women go on trial they almost always use the abuse excuse- it makes me ill

Excellent article in the Sunday Times (London) newspaper today. Sorry I can't link to it because it is subscription-based. It recounts the whole story of Heather Mack and her relationship with her mother. I truly hope she receives the full 28 year sentence that the Prosecutors are demanding and that she never sees her daughter again.

From The Rules: Copyright

Copyright infringement is a serious legalmatter.

No more than 10% of an article may be copied and a link to the source must be provided to give credit to the author.

Posts that copy more than 10% will be edited and posts with no link will be removed entirely.

If you copy an image from another site, be sure to provide a link to the original source or the picture will be removed.

Do not cut and paste information from pay sites or password protected sites.

PAYWALLED ARTICLES:

Members may link to a paywalled article so that others who wish to pay for the article can read it. However, even if they have paid for it, members can not screenshot/copy/paste, quote directly, or disseminate any content within the article. It is not only a violation of Websleuths TOS (aka The Rules), it is a violation of copyright law.

Members may very briefly paraphrase (in their own words) what the article is about or they can copy the Google hit summary to give an idea of what the article contains in the event people wish to pay for the article.

Last edited:
Excellent article in the Sunday Times (London) newspaper today. Sorry I can't link to it because it is subscription-based. It recounts the whole story of Heather Mack and her relationship with her mother. I truly hope she receives the full 28 year sentence that the Prosecutors are demanding and that she never sees her daughter again.

Especially because of this, really hard to read:

The murder of Von Wiese at the hands of the defendant and Schaefer was vicious,” prosecutors wrote in the sentencing memorandum, according to CBS News.

“The evidence indicates Von Wiese struggled to stay alive, meaning that in the last moments of her life she realized that her daughter, and only child, was responsible for her death. Von Wiese had been worried that Mack would one day kill her, and it is hard to fathom the physical and emotional pain Von Wiese endured in the final moments of her life.”

From above link

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finch5800