IL IL - Starved Rock State Park Murders of three women, 4 Mar 1960

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I remember when this was in the news, real time, around here-very creepy.

“My grandmother lives on in all of us,” said Diane Oetting, who was born after the murder of Lillian Oetting but fulfills a promise to her deceased father by traveling from her home in Montgomery for the parole hearings. “Weger wasn’t able to take that away. … He should serve the sentence that was given to him.”

“I just hope and pray they let him out,” said Weger’s younger sister, Mary Pruett, 77, of Smithville, Missouri. “The cruelty of what happened to (the victims), it really blows my mind. … I know my brother. That’s just not him. It doesn’t fit."

Earlier this week, however, the Tribune located a woman who in 1961 was the jury’s youngest member. She recently celebrated her 95th birthday. After all these years, the juror said she still is frightened, and her family asked that her name not be published to protect her privacy.

“I wouldn’t think he would even want to get paroled,” she said. “He’s getting three meals and a bed and has nothing to worry about.”

She recalled many details of her six weeks of jury duty but said she rarely thinks about it today. “I did my duty," she said. "I served. I did what I thought was right and never thought about it again.”
Alabama granddaughter fights against parole in notorious 1960 murders of 3 Illinois women

Earlier this week, however, the Tribune located a woman who in 1961 was the jury’s youngest member. She recently celebrated her 95th birthday. After all these years, the juror said she still is frightened, and her family asked that her name not be published to protect her privacy.

“I wouldn’t think he would even want to get paroled,” she said. “He’s getting three meals and a bed and has nothing to worry about.”

She recalled many details of her six weeks of jury duty but said she rarely thinks about it today. “I did my duty," she said. "I served. I did what I thought was right and never thought about it again.”
Alabama granddaughter fights against parole in notorious 1960 murders of 3 Illinois women

[bbm]

that's confusing - she's still frightened but rarely thinks about it
are they talking about two different jurors?

60 years ago...
rock+1.jpg

The three women from the Chicago suburbs, Mildred Lindquist, Lillian Oetting and Frances Murphy, who hiked to their fate in Starved Rock’s St. Louis Canyon.

Chester Rocky Weger was convicted of killing Mildred Lindquist, age 50, one of three women found dead in the park. He was never tried for the deaths of Lillian Oetting, 50, or Frances Murphy, 47. All were killed on 3 March 1960.

Weger was sentenced to life in prison and began his sentence in Menard State Prison.

Weger always claimed that he was innocent of the killings.

In November 1964, a 27 year old prisoner in Texas, John M. Peters claimed that he had killed the three Chicago women. He also claimed to have beaten a woman to death in Marshall, Texas in 1955, and claimed to have shot a man to death in El Capitan, New Mexico.

LINK:

THE STARVED ROCK MURDERS — American Hauntings

Last edited:
21 February 2020

Chester Weger still maintains his innocence in the 1960 beating deaths of 3 women in Illinois park

When Chester Weger went to prison for the 1960 murders in Starved Rock State Park, he was a young, wiry backwoodsman with two small children and had accused detectives of framing him.

On Friday morning, he emerged from the prison gates a balding grandfather with dentures and a list of ailments that include asthma and rheumatoid arthritis, still maintaining his innocence.

“They ruined my life,” the 80-year-old Weger said from the front passenger seat of a family minivan. “They locked me up for 60 years for something I’ve never done.”

Though navigating his freedom in today’s world will likely be baffling, Weger said he is excited about what lies ahead....

LINKS:

Infamous Starved Rock killer set free after nearly 60 years

Starved Rock murderer’s presence in community fades | Northwest Herald

Last edited:
1960 TRIPLE MURDER A FAINT ECHO AT STATE PARK
Art Barnum
CHICAGO TRIBUNE (1985 article)

It once ranked as the ''Crime of the Century'': three suburban housewives slain within hours of arriving at Starved Rock State Park for a midweek vacation of hiking, picnicking and amateur photography.

It was 25 years ago this weekend that park employees came upon the grisly scene: Each woman was bound with twine and beaten to death in the pristine beauty of St. Louis Canyon.

The shock waves spread from this popular nature spot 100 miles from Chicago and reverberated up and down the Illinois River as a solution to the crime eluded investigators. A suspect wasn`t caught for eight months, and he turned out to be a park employee who served meals to police and a horde of reporters at the Starved Rock lodge.

The triple homicide in 1960 marked the nadir of the park`s existence. Stigmatized by the brutality of the crime and the widespread press coverage

(Life magazine did numerous photo stories on the crime), it took most of a decade for what is now Illinois` most visited state park to make a comeback.

As tragic as the crime was, the deaths of the three Riverside women resulted in some good. What today ranks among the finest state crime laboratory systems in the country came about because of shoddy work in the Starved Rock case.

The crimes still are remembered in west suburban Riverside, a town of 10,000 that spent a year in mourning for three of its most active citizens and where a plaque dedicates part of the Riverside Presbyterian Church in their memory.

Chester Weger, 46, the killer, is serving a life term in Stateville Correctional Center near Joliet, steadfastly maintaining he is innocent and routinely--18 times in all--being turned down for parole.

The victims were Lillian Oetting, Mildred Lindquist, both 50; and Frances Murphy, 47. They were the wives of business executives, the mothers of grown children and prominent for their civic involvement in Riverside.

The bond that joined them was membership in the Riverside Presbyterian Church. ''The topic is still very much alive around here and people still talk about it,'' said Rev. Roger Kunkel, pastor. ''They were the top three ladies that any church could hope to have.''

Their bodies were discovered on March 16, 1960, in a small cave at St. Louis Canyon by a search party organized after the women failed to call home during the first two days of their vacation.

Police determined that they had been slain within hours of arriving at the park on Monday, March 14. They checked into their rooms in the Starved Rock Lodge, ate lunch in the dining room and then embarked on a 1.2-mile stroll to the canyon, a geological formation that is one of the park`s attractions.

Weger, though considered one of many possible suspects, wasn`t arrested until Nov. 16 after confessing to the crimes. He was convicted of murder in Oetting`s death the following March, and prosecutors decided to not try the other cases.

''I don`t really ever expect to get out,'' Weger said in a recent interview. ''But I never did it, and there are people that know that.''

Weger, who works in the prison commissary as a clerk, maintains he confessed only after being beaten and threatened with death. Police said he knew details of the crime that only the killer could have known.

''At first everything I say now about my innocence was believed by the police and they know I never did it,'' Weger said. ''When I first heard (about the murders), I was shocked and stunned like everyone else.

''The police at the park saw me every day and I passed every test they gave me at first,'' he said, ''but the months went by and they wanted a conviction, so they beat me into signing it. I wasn`t ever at the park when it happened. I was done wrong.''

Steve Stout, a former LaSalle journalist who wrote a book about the killings, said that though Weger`s story may be polished, it is unconvincing. ''When I first talked to Chester, I came out of the prison thinking I might have a great story here about a possible innocent man in jail,'' Stout said. ''Maybe he was scared by the police, but I do believe his confession, which claimed the incident was a robbery that got out of hand.''

Towns along the Illinois River ''were up for grabs that whole spring, summer and fall,'' Stout said. ''Local stores were sold out of locks. The adage that people were afraid to walk alone outside was true.''

Physical evidence gathered at the scene by the state crime lab yielded no answers. Some evidence was lost, and criticism from both law enforcement officials and the media was loud.

''The state crime laboratory was less equipped than a high school chemistry laboratory of the time,'' Stout said. ''This crime is more important than most because it changed the system of criminal investigation in Illinois.''

Otto Kerner was campaigning for governor as a Democrat that fall and he made the crime lab an issue. ''Now research and studies from the laboratory, as well as the staff personnel, are known and used on a national level,'' said Joseph Nicol, who was appointed by Kerner to head the refurbished laboratory and is now retired.

But even as Kerner was being elected to his first term in November, 1960, the Starved Rock case was going nowhere.

''Chicago newspapers gave me a bad time,'' recalled Harland Warren, then LaSalle County state`s attorney credited with breaking the case. Warren took the evidence out of the state crime lab and sent it to out-of-state labs, where they were able to confirm a tree limb as the weapon.

''We were all disappointed,'' Warren said. ''I remembered a lesson that the great majority of solutions can be found from items at the scene of the crime.

''I put myself in a room and just sat for hours, days, looking at the evidence, just looking at it,'' Warren said. ''For some reason I decided to check out the twine they were tied up with.''

The twine was traced to the lodge kitchen, and all park employees were given new lie-detector tests, including Weger, who failed this test though he had passed two previous exams.

Today, Starved Rock State Park suffers no ill effects from the past image, officials said.

''It obvious that the crime did the park no good, and we had attendance problems for three years after the police and media left. No one wanted to stay in the lodge and no one wanted to take a hike on those trails,'' said John Blume, superintendent of the 3,000-acre park. ''Today the average visitor has no idea what went on here and no one asks me about the murders.''

LINK:
1960 TRIPLE MURDER A FAINT ECHO AT STATE PARK

Lillian Isabelle Walsh Oetting
BIRTH 1910
Northern Ireland
DEATH 14 Mar 1960 (aged 49–50)
Utica, LaSalle County, Illinois, USA
BURIAL Unknown
LINK: Lillian Isabelle Walsh Oetting (1910-1960) - Find...

Mildred Monika Emma Schuppert Lindquist
BIRTH 10 Sep 1906
Chicago, Cook County, Illinois, USA
DEATH 14 Mar 1960 (aged 53)
BURIAL Unknown
Link: Mildred Monika Emma Schuppert Lindquist...

Frances “Frankie” Caddy Murphy
BIRTH 1912
Farmington, Fulton County, Illinois, USA
DEATH 14 Mar 1960 (aged 47–48)
BURIAL
Oakwood Cemetery
Geneseo, Henry County, Illinois, USA
PLOT Blk 12 Lot 26 Grave 3
LINK: Frances “Frankie” Caddy Murphy (1912-1960) - Find...

Last edited:
ADZKHTGY3FC4XG3DVVXLYEQTTM.jpg

Mildred Lindquist

... I am the granddaughter of Mildred Lindquist. I was the only grandchild born at the time of her death — of her murder — so I have always felt a connection to her and a responsibility to understand, or at least try to understand, her impact on our family — even through her 1960 death at Starved Rock State Park with two other women.

But more important and relevant than being Mildred’s grandchild, is that I am the daughter of Nancy Lindquist Temple. Chester Weger, who confessed to the murders and served nearly six decades in prison before being paroled in November, has loomed large in our life even though none of us other than my grandfather have ever laid eyes on him...

... But one thing that does make moving on more challenging for any victim’s family is this thing called parole. In spite of the horrific crime Weger committed, for decades the victims’ families got a regularly scheduled written reminder, courtesy of the Illinois parole board, of the worst day of their life.

When my grandfather was living, he would get the letters and “handle it.” The notices of parole eligibility would then go to my mom — who had no desire to relive the crime and fight his parole — though certainly none of us believe he deserved it. Over time, she stopped opening the letters. But that letter, opened or not, served as a regular reminder of the presence on earth of this man, Chester Weger, who robbed us all of the mother/grandmother/friend who truly made the world a better place and should have been able to do so for another 40 years.

When Weger was ultimately given parole, my family found out about it through the media. I wanted to gently break the news to my mom and called her first thing in the morning. Her reaction shouldn’t have surprised me given the grace she has always shown. She simply said, “Now I can know that I will never have to read or hear his name again.”...

LINK:
Commentary: What the parole of Chester Weger meant to my family

Chester Weger at time of trial (left) and at time of 2019 parole (right)

Click on above photos to see many more linked images and source.

Starved Rock killer Chester Weger, convicted in an infamous 1960 murder case, is granted parole
By CHRISTY GUTOWSKI
CHICAGO TRIBUNE |
NOV 21, 2019
TBMODCSBB5AMDEOENO366SJGM4.jpg

Interview with Chester Weger, 77, in Pinkckneyville Correctional Center on Tuesday, Dec. 6, 2016. He is convicted killer in the 1960 triple homicide of three Riverside women at Starved Rock state park. He talks about his hope for freedom after all these decades in anticipation of next week's parole board hearing. He maintains he is an innocent man...
SPRINGFIELD — For nearly six decades, Chester Weger has lived his life in prison after confessing to the haunting 1960 Starved Rock State Park murders of three suburban Chicago women who were attacked during a hike in broad daylight.

On Thursday, members of the Illinois Prisoner Review Board decided that was long enough, granting the 80-year-old inmate his freedom in a stunning 9-to-4 vote that brought relief to his family but stirred memories of loss and pain for relatives of the slain women...

LINK:

Starved Rock killer Chester Weger, convicted in an infamous 1960 murder case, is granted parole

From St. Joseph News-Press, St. Joseph, Missouri, 17 March, 1960:

Attachments

• StJosephNews_Press_Missouri_March_17_1960-a.pdf
    857.4 KB · Views: 5
  • StJosephNews_Press_Missouri_March_17_1960-b.jpg
    StJosephNews_Press_Missouri_March_17_1960-b.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 8
I have to wonder what the motivation was for killing these three women? Did he have a gun on him? How exactly was he able to coerce them all at the same time into getitng them tied up?

From what I am seeing, this case made national news when it first broke.

From Chicago Tribune, March 18, 1960:

Attachments

• ChicagoTribune_March_18_1960_a.pdf
    491.5 KB · Views: 4
  • ChicagoTribune_March_18_1960-b.pdf
    404.3 KB · Views: 5
This case was featured in Life Magazine in 1960 and again in 1961 at the time of the trial.

The case against Chester "Rocky" Weger was actually pretty strong, although it took some very dedicated police detective work to finally arrest him.

According to the Life story, he encountered the three women on a hiking trail and, with the intention of robbing them, he led them to the Starving Rock cave where he tied their hands and feet with butcher's twine (which he had obtained from the kitchen were he worked as a dishwasher).

After stealing their money, one of the women (reportedly Mrs. Murphy) got free from her bindings and attacked him, striking him with a pair of binoculars and scratching his face. Weger, then grabbed a frozen branch and struck her, knocking her out. Thinking he had killed her, he returned and bludgeoned the other two women to death. Mrs. Murphy regained consciousness and again attacked him, whereupon he killed her too.

The twine used was a fairly rare 20 strand variety and it matched exactly the twine used on an earlier rape victim. When that victim was shown a photo line-up which included Weger's photo, she immediately identified him as her assailant.

In spite of what Weger claims now about his "innocence", he actually did confess to the murders back in 1960, and described in detail how he committed them. By the time of his trial, he recanted the confession.

Weger was officially charged with only one of the murders. He did not testify during his trial and was found guilty and sentenced to death. With the death penalty, prosecutors declined to charge him with the other two murders and the rape.

Weger was later granted a second trial and again was convicted. Upon sentencing, one juror refused to vote for the death penalty and so he was sentenced to Life in prison. He is now out on Parole, but his conviction for the murder stands.

wire-25032682-1582310056-192_634x422.jpg

Chester Weger, the so-called Starved Rock Killer, takes questions from the media after being released from the Pickneyville Correctional Center in Pickneyville, Illinois

Weger claimed that "they" ruined his life and that he is completely innocent.

24739642-8030065-Frances_Murphy_47-a-79_1582311251818.jpg

24739646-8030065-Mildred_Lindquist_50-a-1_1582312825523.jpg

24739658-8030065-Lillian_Oetting_50-a-80_1582311251834.jpg

Frances Murphy, 47; Mildred Lindquist, 50; and Lillian Oetting, 50. All three were murdered at Starved Rock State Park near Utica while on a hike in 1960

24739648-8030065-Weger_right_is_seen_after_he_was_sentenced_to_life_in_prison_in_-a-2_1582327370918.jpg

Weger (right) is seen after he was sentenced to life in prison in March 1961 in Ottawa, Illinois

LINK:

'Starved Rock Killer', 80, maintains his innocence after serving 59 years on murder charge | Daily Mail Online

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSlice
Back