IL IL - The Unidentified Victims of John Wayne Gacy

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
It's been a while. These guys deserve to have their names back! I wish they would exhume the bodies and get DNA for their files. But I bet they'll never do that. :banghead:

I've been perusing this thread and the links for a while now.

Years ago I knew a guy that used to go to Chicago now and then, and stay with a guy named John. One time he called me from there and I actually talked to this John.

My friend and I lost touch a long time ago. I've often wondered if my friend could have been one of the victims. His name was Chris (Christopher). None of the victim photos look familiar, though.

I don't mean any disrespect, but were most/many of John Gacy's victims gay?

I don't believe Gacy ever lived in the Chicago city limits. He resided in Des Plaines, which is a suburb of Chicago.

I don't mean any disrespect, but were most/many of John Gacy's victims gay?

I'm not sure, but as I understood it, he targeted straight boys with a ruse about construction jobs.

I don't believe Gacy ever lived in the Chicago city limits. He resided in Des Plaines, which is a suburb of Chicago.
It could be that my friend and the John he knew just said Chicago for whatever reason.

Are there any audio interviews of John Gacy? Even after all these years, I might recognize the voice. Sorry to be so lazy to not do my own research; I just figured the wonderful WebSleuths might already know and have some links.

I just got a chill about your post, CarlK. My friend did some construction (remodelling) work at a "free clinic" up north. And since we lost touch, I have no idea if he moved to "John"'s location, but Chris *was* unemployed and quite the free spirit. I think Chris may have been "bi"; not sure.

TIA!

IMO it would be easier to look through facebook, linkedin, or there's a find people website that is frequently used around here. This is assuming his last name is not Smith lol

TYSM, CarlK.

You know? After all these years, I think his voice is the one I heard on the phone.

If so, based upon what I've read about the documented victims of JG and photos shown, my friend is (so far) not amongst them. If that "John" was JG, perhaps my friend Chris was one of the lucky ones who got away.

SIGH.

I'll always wonder what ever happened to Chris. We had a very close friendship for over a year, although he "came and went" as many free spirits did back then. All of this happened before the Internet was available to the "common peeps" (since the Internet then was only available to scientists, academia, and the government), and became such a part of our now everyday life.

I've searched Chris' FN/LN for years and nothing comes up; I am not sure of his middle name or initial. Sure would like to know whatever happened to him.

Chris :rose:

IMO it would be easier to look through facebook, linkedin, or there's a find people website that is frequently used around here. This is assuming his last name is not Smith lol
TY Claudette, but this was many, many years ago. Chris' last name is not common. But I am skeptical about finding his family via those means. I don't remember his mother's first name and I don't recall that he had siblings. Being that he was such a "free spirit", I don't even know the names of his other friends from back then.

Perhaps many of us have an "unsolved mystery" about someone we were close to long ago.

Being a frustrated cop/detective wannabe, I can look back to being a child and passionately LOVING puzzles (Highlights magazine, anyone? find the hidden images, etc.). :)

I now remember Chris' mother's first name, and the town she lived in, but know absolutely nothing about his father or anything else about his life before (and really during) I knew him.

Things are SO much different now, since the Internet became widely available. records became available online, cell phones, etc.

http://www.thespec.com/news/world/a...-not-be-my-son-mom-says-30-years-after-murder
Thu Sep 15 2011

That may not be my son, mom says 30 years after murder

CHICAGO More than 30 years after Sherry Marino buried her 14-year-old son, she is asking for permission to exhume the boy’s remains.

Chicago officials identified Michael Marino as one of 33 victims of serial killer John Wayne Gacy almost four years after his mother reported him missing. But according to papers filed with Cook County Circuit Court Thursday, his mother has long harboured doubts that the body was that of her son.

Lawyers for the mother point to disparities between autopsy findings by the Cook County medical examiner and her son’s dental records and medical history
read more.

From the link previously posted:

The 1979 pathological report indicated that Gacy’s victim had fractured his collarbone and suggested that the child’s molars had started coming in, according to the filing. But X-rays provided by Marino’s dentist months before the boy’s disappearance show that not all of his molars had yet grown in, and the mother does not believe her son ever broke his collarbone, her lawyers said.

BBM. We here are familiar with false id's based on dentals. Hopefully the court will rule in this mothers favor. DNA would solve this once and for all.

He might be one of the eight UID's. Reading that article, I thought it a coincidence that the UID who I have compared to Orin Anderson above also has a healed fracture of the collarbone. Collarbone fractures are not particularly common. I'm wondering if with all these victims, they might be some sort of mixup with the descriptions of identified victims with those of the unidentified.

Also, the autopsy indicated that the body was white with “possibly some slight to moderate” mixture of Native American, but, according to Marino, her son did not have any Native American heritage.

Asked whether she still holds out hope that her son is alive, Marino said: “I sure do. Always.”

His disappearance has left Marino in limbo.

“My feet don’t touch the ground when I walk,” she said. “I feel like I am in a semi-coma. I have frequent nightmares, and I cry all the time.”

Every two months, she makes a pilgrimage to her son’s grave, taking her daughters, her grandchildren and a few close friends with her.

“We always bring flowers and I pray,” Marino said. “I talk to Michael, and I ask if it is really him.”
http://www.suntimes.com/news/766404...-misidentified-as-john-wayne-gacy-victim.html

He might be one of the eight UID's. Reading that article, I thought it a coincidence that the UID who I have compared to Orin Anderson above also has a healed fracture of the collarbone. Collarbone fractures are not particularly common. I'm wondering if with all these victims, they might be some sort of mixup with the descriptions of identified victims with those of the unidentified.

Actually, collarbone fractures ARE fairly common - and many of them go undetected - esp. in your more rowdy-type of boy (you know the kind, always got a bruise or scrape somewhere, point it out and ask how they got it and they cannot tell you)
A collarbone fracture heals pretty much on its own anyway (can't really cast it)
And there is always the possibility that the fracture occurred unbeknownst to the family that provided info on the UID.

Cook sheriff exhumes 8 unidentified John Wayne Gacy victims for DNA tests

More than 30 years after a collection of skeletal remains was found beneath John Wayne Gacy's house, detectives have secretly exhumed bones of eight young men who were never identified in hopes of answering a final question: Who were they?

The Cook County Sheriff's Department says DNA testing could solve the last mystery of one of the nation's worst serial killers, and authorities planned Wednesday to ask for the public's help in determining the victims' names.

Investigators are urging relatives of anyone who disappeared between 1970 and Gacy's 1978 arrest — and who is still unaccounted for — to undergo saliva tests to compare their DNA with that of the skeletal remains.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/...-dna-tests-20111012,0,1775688.story?track=rss

It's about time!

I wonder if this means Cook County will finally enter these 8 unidentified young men into NamUs.

Cook County sheriff contact information for those who wish to inquire about submitting dna or to inquire about the 8 remaining unidentified victims at the following link:

http://cookcountysheriff.org/sheriffs_police/gacy/gacy.html

From the above link:

Unidentified Victims of John Wayne Gacy

Home > Departments > C.C.S.P.D. >Investigations > Cold Case Unit
> Unidentified Gacy Victims

GacyVictims.jpg

Eight victims of the serial killer John Wayne Gacy remain unidentified. Originally recovered from Gacy's residence in late 1978 and early 1979, the remains of eight Gacy victims have never been identified.
DNA technology has advanced to supplement the techniques used at the time. The Cook County Sheriff's Police Department has tested the remains of these victims using the latest DNA technology.
DNA profiles suitable for comparison have now been obtained from all eight unidentified victims.

Many missing persons are never reported to police. After Gacy was arrested in December 1978, it was learned that some of his identified victims had never been reported missing by their families. Some families were estranged from their relative who was killed by Gacy, and were unaware their relative was missing.
Also, missing person reports from distant jurisdictions may not have found their way to investigators in Cook County, Illinois. Gacy was known to have targeted bus stations, seeking victims who were travelling.
These eight victims are unidentified missing persons, and you can help identify them.

We are seeking living family members who:
  • Had a male relative go missing between 1970 and 1979 in the United States;
  • Are directly related to the missing person by a blood relationship;
  • And are willing to donate a DNA sample for direct comparison to the eightunidentified Gacy victims.
Why 1970 to 1979? After Gacy was released from an Iowa prison in June 1970, he moved to the Chicago area in Illinois. Gacy was later arrested in December 1978, ending his killing spree, but for many reasons some victims may not have been reported missing until early 1979 or even later.

How can I give a DNA sample? If you meet the requirements above, and live in the United States, arrangements can be made after contacting the Cook County Sheriff's Police at (800) 942-1950 or by sending us your information in the form below.
Giving a DNA sample is quick and easy. Using the buccal swab method, a trained investigator wipes a sterile cotton swab against the inside of the donor's cheek to take a sample of cells that contain DNA.

What happens afterwards? The DNA sample you donate will be sent to a certified laboratory, where it will be directly compared to DNA profiles from the eight unidentified victims. You will be discreetly notified of the results, a process that usually takes about 3 months to complete.
With the help of living family members, it is our goal to identify as many of the eight nameless victims as possible. Once an identity is confirmed using DNA, the remains of a missing loved one can be turned over to family, helping to bring closure.

What if my missing family member does not match the description of Gacy's victims? Please contact your local police department directly.

vic5.png
vic10.png
vic13.png

vic19.png
vic21.png
vic24.png

vic26.png
vic28.png

Nothing in NamUs yet..... am hoping they will be added soon.

I'm thinking the estimated dates of disappearance coincide with verified DLC's of those identified.

lots to look at and research here. Especially with previously posted possible matches.

I put two calls in to find out if these UID's are going to be entered into NamUS and to inquire if they have already been run through Codis.

I spoke with someone at the Cook Cty Sheriffs office who requested I email her and will do that before the end of day.

Hopefully we can get these two questions answered and get these 8 remaining UID's into NamUs, if that is not already in the works.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TrueCrimeJunkieCory
Back