Identified! IL - Will Co., Male body in Des Plaines River, May'09 - Gary Schmidt

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
If he broke her neck and the body decomposed wouldn't the head separate from the body?

The head is usually the first to disarticulate and the hands.

That is from the friction of the head and hands hanging in a lower position than the torso and hitting obstructions in the waterway such as underground trees, stumps, rocks. Often the feet also will disarticulate from scrubbing or being scrubbed up against various debris.

When the body has been in a water for a long time it weakens and separates.

imo

Yeah, he makes me mad too. But..... if it's not admitted into evidence, the jury cannot consider it. Sad but true.

I know it. :( Here's hoping they can get that evidence admitted.

Last night a poster went to Lisa and Stacey's websites to find height/weight. She said Lisa was 5'2", 120 pounds; Stacey was 5'2", 100 pounds.
Thanks for that reminder how close in size both women were. One definitely wouldn't be able to make an ID by the length of bones.

They notified both Stacey's family and Lisa's family.

But I am noticing in the media, they are giving a lot of emphasis toward Stacey's case and a kind of "or it could be the case of Lisa Stebic." Often reporters know more than what they can print. Like they may have been told off the record that it looked like it might be Stacey, but there wasn't enough info to be sure. And media will usually tell it this way without the conjecture. But they will give the conjecture the preference.

Here is what I am wondering. The coroners words are pretty standard for when they cannot offer a COD or an id. The autopsy is inconclusive. He tells what remains they do have, and they have more than what we were led to believe. He doesn't give away other specific findings.

The arms, head, and lower legs are missing. Either an animal with very specifics dietary preferences. Or coincidence that only the identifible parts dropped off, or someone removed identifiable parts. I am wondering if perhaps there were non fatal knife marks in the ribcage area also. Like might occur if a person was attempting to remove implants? That more than anything would point more toward Stacey than Lisa. And just the fact that there are non fatal appearing marks could indicate that the implants were removed to prevent id. There are other things that might have been found also, it wouldn't have to be the implants. Long hair maybe trapped in the waistband of the jeans or underwear would point toward Stacey. Evidence of an old broken bone, a known previous injury could point to a particular person without being conclusive. Or the absence of a known old injury that the other one had.

So even though the coroner says inconclusive, it doesn't mean they didn't learn anything at the scene or in the autopsy.

In the past year and a half we've seen remains found, and quickly dismissed as being either Stacy or Lisa. But with these remains, it's an entirely different story. I've noticed how much the media is leaning towards the remains being the remains of Stacy.

I too wonder if, even though not saying so publicly, there's been some sort of evidence that suggests this is Stacy's remains. It could be something found with the remains, or something about the remains themselves that suggests Stacy over Lisa.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,520915,00.html

This article has a little extra info about where they are sending the DNA and such.
Thanks ~ it also gave more detail than some other reports about the specific remaining parts of the body. What I also found interesting is on Nancy's show tonight it was described that the remains were clad in underwear, whereas this article only mentions the shredded jeans. Another thing that I've notice hasn't been mentioned is the approximate size of the victim.

In the past year and a half we've seen remains found, and quickly dismissed as being either Stacy or Lisa. But with these remains, it's an entirely different story. I've noticed how much the media is leaning towards the remains being the remains of Stacy.

I too wonder if, even though not saying so publicly, there's been some sort of evidence that suggests this is Stacy's remains. It could be something found with the remains, or something about the remains themselves that suggests Stacy over Lisa.
Just speculating here, but if the remains did have underwear such as a bra still on, would it be possible that something identifying breast implants would still be remaining, like secured under the bra to the skeleton?

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,520915,00.html

This article has a little extra info about where they are sending the DNA and such.

This article states:

"There was no sign of the blue container in which Stacy Peterson's body had reportedly been carried out of her home, allegedly by her husband, Drew Peterson , and his stepbrother, the Chicago Tribune reported."

How can this reporter write this, when we have all seen the photo that Michele took of the blue barrel, and the blue barrel being transported on the boat by the investigators. :rolleyes:

DP was "unconcerned" ~ well, so what else is new? He hasn't been concerned about Stacy since she went missing! :mad: MOO

A-freaking-men!

Drew will never show concern for Stacy... he acts like she was some kind of inanimate object that is just not worth wasting his time over. He's warped...

From JVM (Jane Valez Mitchell) show someone just mentioned that the blue barrel found does not match TMorphey's description of the container he helped DP move.

Who's to say that DP ultimately didn't use a container or a blue barrel? Maybe the container was just to transport away from the home. I mean ya gotta get a body out of the home in some way. With all the blue barrels sighted maybe the blue barrel is just a red herring.

Good point! The blue barrel could have just been a means of transport, and discarded later.

A-freaking-men!

Drew will never show concern for Stacy... he acts like she was some kind of inanimate object that is just not worth wasting his time over. He's warped...
It really is amazing since she was the mother of two of his children. It was almost as if he looked upon his wives as "breeders". MOO

It's late, so good night everyone! I hope we hear more news tomorrow. :seeya:

What I don't understand about the remains is, according to WMAQ 10 p.m. news, there's the ribcage, spinal column, and upper leg bones. So, where on earth is the pelvis? The femur connects to the hip sockets in the pelvis. No pelvis, and the legs fall off.

The head is usually the first to disarticulate and the hands.

That is from the friction of the head and hands hanging in a lower position than the torso and hitting obstructions in the waterway such as underground trees, stumps, rocks. Often the feet also will disarticulate from scrubbing or being scrubbed up against various debris.

When the body has been in a water for a long time it weakens and separates.

imo

This is true for a body that is free floating. But if in a container it would be different.

And for whoever asked, I believe a long time ago I read that remains would begin breaking down in damaged areas first. At least any areas where the skin is broken. Not sure about cartilege.

And that is another thing. The coroner has said that they would be doing further testing to see if the disarticulation occurred antemortem or postmortem. And whether it was due to cuts or natural occurances as a result of animals, or due to decomp, collisions with debris or mechanical means like being cut. But I thought that was something that often could be easily determined?

Last night a poster went to Lisa and Stacey's websites to find height/weight. She said Lisa was 5'2", 120 pounds; Stacey was 5'2", 100 pounds.

Hi Spyglass, That poster might be correct. When this was discussed on Jane's show this afternoon I think it was Jane who said they were both about 100 lbs each and both 5'2". And I got the feeling it was how small both of these gals were was her point. ;}

I'm hopeful, but still waiting. While Lisa, Stacy and Rachel are better known missing from the area, I am sure there are teens listed at NCMEC which mostly likely never had much media. Cook/Will.. Will extends pretty far south IIRC. If they are unable to determine gender, they are most likely unable to determine race at this early stage either.

In any case, this is someones missing loved one and my heart goes out to those waiting.

jmo

ME said it will be around 2 weeks.

I think it will be sooner. I think LE has asked for a rush on it.

Thanks ~ it also gave more detail than some other reports about the specific remaining parts of the body. What I also found interesting is on Nancy's show tonight it was described that the remains were clad in underwear, whereas this article only mentions the shredded jeans. Another thing that I've notice hasn't been mentioned is the approximate size of the victim.

No wonder it's gonna take longer, it's so frustrating (and sickening) to learn the head is no longer intact since I was hoping dental records could be of use. :( Nope jeans sure doesn't sound like jogging attire to me either.

:parrot:

It might be warm if there was a live body in it.

When concrete is setting up it actually gives off quite a bit of heat. It's true as I used to make stepping stones and enjoyed feeling their warmth as they became hard enough to touch.

I don't think that could be what the warmth was here though with the barrel. Tom helped carry it from the upstairs bedroom, and can't imagine Drew pouring concrete in it up there. He could have poured some in there before he brought the barrel upstairs, but that doesn't make sense either. Evidently the kids were in their rooms from what I read, so he couldn't carry her downstairs either or it would alert them to a problem.

ETA: Tom said the barrel was very heavy. Her 100 plus the weight of the barrel, I don't know, but I was thinking that for 2 big guys that wouldn't be VERY heavy. I could be wrong. xox

It is hard to image an approx 100 lb body in death where the body starts cooling right away, warming up a big plastic barrel.

Scandi, I also can't imagine a man DP's size needing help with 100# of Stacy and maybe 5# of barrel. Some cement, maybe 10# or 20# could tip the weight into a range where another person was needed and account for the extra warmth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxnum