GUILTY IL - Willow Long, 7, Watson, 8 Sept 2013 - #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry this is so long but I've been reading and haven't had a chance to weigh in until now. I have lots of thoughts! :)

IMO, CD's lie is most likely the result of previous issues with her parents over her going out. There can be many reasons they weren't cool with it. Casey Anthony (who is a psychopath, IMO, and not in the same league, but of the same age so I will use her as an example), had the same problem. She went to such lengths as coming up with a fictitious job to get her parents to babysit so she could hang out with her friends. I'm not saying that CD is anything like CA. I believe in my heart that CD will regret going out that night for the rest of her life.

I don't think much of CD not knowing Willow was missing until morning. When you leave your kids with someone you trust with all of your heart, it's usually not necessary to check on them when you get home if they are asleep. The thing is, this was a family unit and especially if CD arrived home in not the best condition, if JD were up and gave her a report that everything was okay, I can see no reason why she wouldn't take him for his word and go right to bed. Seems normal to me.

So back to her morning lie. JD may have told her that he fed the kids before he went to work (possibly only fed the boy) that she did not think that her lie to LE stating that she saw her children in the morning would have any impact on finding Willow. Because since she thought JD fed them, it would not change Willow's location at that precise moment. She most likely did not want her parents to know she had been out and hadn't seen the kids since the night before and perhaps told THEM this story before calling LE.

As for child services being called, I don't know if there has been confirmation since yesterday as to who called them, but perhaps LE called them. If CD had been out all night and she needed the morning to sleep it off, I can only imagine the condition she may have been in when LE arrived. That alone may have raised a few eyebrows. Perhaps the boy really was crying for a really long time and a neighbor heard this and told LE.

And then there is the story JD told about running into Willow after coming out of the bathroom. Whatever horrible thing JD did to Willow before he ended her young life, I think it happened in her bed. As a lifelong, highly myopic wearer of glasses, I can tell you that even at a young age, the only time I have ever taken my glasses off has been to sleep and shower. Thinking that Willow was probably already in her pjs, I will bet her glasses were found next to her bed. I'm thinking JD slipped into her bed and she tried her best to fight him off.

This is all MOO: JD's motive for killing her was so that no one would find out about his abuse of her. To him, being labeled a pedophile is worse than being labeled a murderer. This is why he confessed to the murder but has so far not confessed to the sexual abuse. So, I think the story of Willow scratching him after he was in the bathroom was probably a lie he came up with early in his interrogation. LE probably asked him how he obtained the injury and from there he went with it.

So where is the blood?

In some ways this reminds me of Leila Fowler's case.

Me too :( it's that sweet smiling young girl with glasses and the favorite color of purple that did it for me. Leila was very near my home town. That's when I started lurking on WS, I didn't post though because I couldn't bring myself to believe what everyone on the thread thought...that the brother did it :( guess I was wrong, but I still don't want to believe it.

i'm still on the fence about this being a sexually motivated crime although that's almost a foregone conclusion these days.
maybe LE can get a profiler or someone to see if there is anything ritualistic about those knife wounds.

I would be really surprised if it wasn't a sexually motivated crime. Especially since JD stated he was master bating in the bathroom just prior to the altercation with Willow. Why admit to that after allegedly locking himself in a bathroom in a house with no other adults and 2 sleeping kids to keep it such a secret?
And the pjs Willow was reportedly wearing were not on her when she went missing? I can't see this playing out any other way, unfortunately :( jmo

was this posted??? how did I miss it...sorry...

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_...ate-child-and-family-services-spokesman-says/

Clarkin said the DCF investigations into Long's mother and uncle were launched on Sept. 8 -- the same day the girl was reported missing -- after someone called a DCF hotline to report allegations of neglect and abuse. Two allegations of neglect were reported against the girl's mother, Ciarra DeRyke, and one allegation of abuse was reported against Justin DeRyke, he said.

Effingham County State's Attorney Bryan Kibler tells Crimesider there are no criminal charges against Ciarra DeRyke "at this time." The criminal investigation is still in its early stages and it's not clear whether more charges will be filed in the case, he said.

Clarkin couldn't provide further details about the nature of the DCF allegations. The investigations, which should be complete in about 60 days, will determine whether the allegations are true and aim to ensure the safety of the surviving child, Clarkin said. Once completed, the department and others will make a recommendation to a judge as to whether the child should be re-united with the family or placed in another home, he said.

"The department is now the child's legal guardian. Any of the recommendations of the department regarding the child's well being must be considered or approved by a judge." Clarkin said.

http://www.wjbdradio.com/LocalNews/DCFS-Takes-Custody-of-Willow-Long-s-Brother#.UjRYCSDD_jo

I am thinking along the lines CD is the custodial parent for Little Guy. The neglect allegations brought DCFS in the picture. Little guy's Dad may have wanted to take him home with him, but because of the situation DCFS will investigate Dad, his employment, living conditions, daycare, etc before they approve Dad to be Little guy's custodial parent. In the meantime, DCFS will be Little Guy's legal guardian.

I have an acquaintance who is going through a similar situation. At the time of their divorce, Dad was in a better financial situation to care for their children. Fast forward, Dad gets into trouble with the law, children are placed in foster care, Mom has been to umpteen hearings/inspections etc, been approved by DCFS, but the judge keeps saying lets give Dad 3 more months to get his act together. Very frustrating all around.

jmo

Absolutely true! Great post. My son is 3 years younger than my daughter. When he was little, he just didn't speak. He didn't have to because older sister did all the talking for him. When he finally started talking, he mixed up his consonants and a stranger would think that he was speaking gibberish, but actually he knew everything that was going on! (BTW, we can't shut him up now!)

My younger son, at 3, did not talk much either. Same reason, his older brother always knew what he wanted and spoke for him. I think this happens alot w a 2nd child. FWIW

I'm behind on the threads! God Bless Willow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

My younger son, at 3, did not talk much either. Same reason, his older brother always knew what he wanted and spoke for him. I think this happens alot w a 2nd child. FWIW

I'm behind on the threads! God Bless Willow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yes, I believe so too! My second child, daughter, didn't even have to walk until she about 14 months old. There was always someone to carry her. She pointed at what she wanted and someone got it for her. Her vocabulary consisted of everyone's name. She would say a name and then point to what she wanted. All she needed.

Honestly, I am not sure how to feel about the little guy in DCFS. Much of my thoughts and prayers are surely for him. His world is now completely different.

Clarkin said the DCF investigations into Long's mother and uncle were launched on Sept. 8 -- the same day the girl was reported missing -- after someone called a DCF hotline to report allegations of neglect and abuse. Two allegations of neglect were reported against the girl's mother, Ciarra DeRyke, and one allegation of abuse was reported against Justin DeRyke, he said.

I'm interpreting that as someone saw CD leave the home and then an altercation between JD and one of the children, possibly Willow. Or heard a child in distress Saturday night. MOO

I'm interpreting that as someone saw CD leave the home and then an altercation between JD and one of the children, possibly Willow. Or heard a child in distress Saturday night. MOO

What is strange is how specific the anonymous call was. 2 neglect against mom and one abuse against JD.

Family is saying that JD gave no clue he would do something like this. Grandpa says all his kids were a handful but JD. Yet, someone immediately on Sept 8 accuses him of abuse.

I don't get it. It almost feels like LE but wouldn't that be something they would have to do anyway, as mandatory reporters when there is an issue? So they would probably know straight thru numbers and people to speak to. The anonymous angle is what makes me smh and think it wasn't LE.

Could it have been someone in Willow's dad's family? My assumption is CD called him right away when she was missing, I don't know if I recall reading the specifics around his knowledge and when that came about. Regardless it was anonymous for a reason. Hopefully NG paternal family is able to care for him.

Kelly

Kelly

Has the accused bloody clothes been found? Where did he clean up?

I don't think those details have been released, at least not that I've seen. From the accounts given it must've been a very bloody scene but there has been very little official mention of that. I don't suppose it's something LE feels the public needs to know just yet.

I have not heard anything about that.

That is another twist, the crime scene. Where did it happen. The cut to the subclavical vein was fatal. It returns blood to the heart from the upper extremeties is what I have gleaned through some research. It would have bled a great deal. A great deal.

Kelly

What is strange is how specific the anonymous call was. 2 neglect against mom and one abuse against JD.

Family is saying that JD gave no clue he would do something like this. Grandpa says all his kids were a handful but JD. Yet, someone immediately on Sept 8 accuses him of abuse.

I don't get it. It almost feels like LE but wouldn't that be something they would have to do anyway, as mandatory reporters when there is an issue? So they would probably know straight thru numbers and people to speak to. The anonymous angle is what makes me smh and think it wasn't LE.

Could it have been someone in Willow's dad's family? My assumption is CD called him right away when she was missing, I don't know if I recall reading the specifics around his knowledge and when that came about. Regardless it was anonymous for a reason. Hopefully NG paternal family is able to care for him.

Kelly

Kelly

I have no idea how these things work (different country, no kids) I just had the thought that maybe a neighbour called when they heard Willow was missing, but on second thought wouldn't you call LE? Unless they did and was advised to call child services too, or they had reason to want to remain anon/not get involved with LE. IDK just thinking out loud, you're right it is specific but would child services apply those because of what was accused by the anonymous caller?

I can't turn my mind off from possible scenarios and theories, it's just how my brain works, trust me I have had therapy to try and learn how to switch off, I just can't. My mind is constantly trying to piece the puzzle together and every new piece of information sends it into overdrive :scared:

I have no idea how these things work (different country, no kids) I just had the thought that maybe a neighbour called when they heard Willow was missing, but on second thought wouldn't you call LE? Unless they did and was advised to call child services too, or they had reason to want to remain anon/not get involved with LE. IDK just thinking out loud, you're right it is specific but would child services apply those because of what was accused by the anonymous caller?

I can't turn my mind off from possible scenarios and theories, it's just how my brain works, trust me I have had therapy to try and learn how to switch off, I just can't. My mind is constantly trying to piece the puzzle together and every new piece of information sends it into overdrive :scared:

I am the same way! But, I also have no knowledge of how these things work.

Kelly

For some perspective, in FL at least, they would not take a child into their legal custody and then place them back with the parent without supervision. It takes quite a bit to remove legal custody of a child and they have to prove their probable cause basically to a judge before removing custody. A judge must sign off on it first. They CAN put the child back into a parent's physical custody if that parent is living with an approved adult that basically assumes responsibility. (Just remember that this is my perspective based on things in FL).

"We received a hotline report on Sunday and immediately launched an investigation for protective custody and on Tuesday, it was upheld in juvenile court," he said. "Overall, seeking protective custody is, in itself, rather rare, and we do so only when we believe it is necessary for the safety of the child or children."

Clarkin said he could not divulge details of the hotline report which prompted DCFS' involvement with the case but did say the reason for some confusion on the case may be because the agency rarely takes protective custody of a child in Effingham County.

"It may seem unusual to folks in Effingham County because, luckily, these are rare occurrences in the case of child death or abuse," he said.

Safety also may be an issue for Long's uncle, Justin DeRyke, who has been charged with three counts of first degree murder in the case, since his incarceration. An official source said DeRyke has been the subject of threats from some individuals coming into the Effingham County Jail.

http://effinghamdailynews.com/local...stody-after-abuse-report#sthash.dTCqXO2m.dpuf

"We received a hotline report on Sunday and immediately launched an investigation for protective custody and on Tuesday, it was upheld in juvenile court," he said. "Overall, seeking protective custody is, in itself, rather rare, and we do so only when we believe it is necessary for the safety of the child or children."

Clarkin said he could not divulge details of the hotline report which prompted DCFS' involvement with the case but did say the reason for some confusion on the case may be because the agency rarely takes protective custody of a child in Effingham County.

"It may seem unusual to folks in Effingham County because, luckily, these are rare occurrences in the case of child death or abuse," he said.

Safety also may be an issue for Long's uncle, Justin DeRyke, who has been charged with three counts of first degree murder in the case, since his incarceration. An official source said DeRyke has been the subject of threats from some individuals coming into the Effingham County Jail.

http://effinghamdailynews.com/local...stody-after-abuse-report#sthash.dTCqXO2m.dpuf

BBM - I know prison justice is mostly Hollywood, but being a small town I'm not surprised.

W

Kelly

Many people are confused on a few points, I hope my post clears this up.

https://www.imsa.edu/sites/default/files/upload/DCFS.pdf

“People who report alleged child abuse or neglect in good faith cannot be
held liable for damages under criminal or civil law. In addition, their
names are not given to the person they name as the abuser or to anyone
else unless ordered by a hearing officer or judge. Only members of the
general public may make reports without giving their names.” (DCFS
website)

Mandated reporters are required to provide their name when calling in a report of suspected abuse/neglect. Their name will not be known to anyone, it's private. However, a random citizen can call a report in and remain totally anonymous.

So, LE could have called it in, and remain, as far as the media is concerned, anonymous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atriumproperties