GUILTY IL - Willow Long, 7, Watson, 8 Sept 2013 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I went to the Shelby County news site that another person posted.

Here is a quote from CD's boyfriend's mother:
http://shelbycountynews.net/missing...ardson-resident-patty-clarey-eve-p24742-1.htm

"Everett noted that Ciara Beryke on Sunday morning wasn’t feeling well, and when she went back to bed, Willow and her three-year-old brother were watching television in the living room.

Beryke later woke to find Willow missing, and she asked Willow’s brother where she was and he pointed to the front door."

I just thought of something. Maybe the bf didnt know she went out and thats why she lied to LE? JMO

I just thought of something. Maybe the bf didnt know she went out and thats why she lied to LE? JMO

I was thinking maybe CD was trying to save face rather than tell the boyfriends mother she had gone to the bar the night before and wasn't in any condition to look after her kids.

That's possible or it's also possible he was hoping a high profile attorney would take his case pro bono and when that didn't pan out, he had to go with the Public Defender since he's due in court in less than 48 hours.

Seems kind of deluded to think that an attorney would want to take up his case. Case probably won't be high profile outside of the immediate area, and I don't know any who would want to take up the case for a weird looking 22 year old from a small southern Illinois town of 500 people. Not exactly a case that will really be well known I believe.

If Mom had told the truth about not seeing the children that morning, the investigation would have immediately focused on the last adult who did see them, their uncle.

jmo

Yes, but Willow would still be dead. I think LE almost immediately looked towards Justin based on his behavior with Willow gone. I believe one of the officers commented and it was in an article about how weird it was that he choose to go to work when pretty much everyone else in town was looking for Willow.

I went to the Shelby County news site that another person posted.

Here is a quote from CD's boyfriend's mother:
http://shelbycountynews.net/missing...ardson-resident-patty-clarey-eve-p24742-1.htm

"Everett noted that Ciara Beryke on Sunday morning wasn’t feeling well, and when she went back to bed, Willow and her three-year-old brother were watching television in the living room.

Beryke later woke to find Willow missing, and she asked Willow’s brother where she was and he pointed to the front door."

Could it be that this whole CD lying to the cops isn't actually true. Could the whole story about when CD last saw Willow be what CD told her BF's Mom and she got that out to the media very quickly and it because the chief line of thought?

Could it be that this whole CD lying to the cops isn't actually true. Could the whole story about when CD last saw Willow be what CD told her BF's Mom and she got that out to the media very quickly and it because the chief line of thought?

Sheriff JM said that the story from CD came to them directly from CD herself upon arriving at the home after Willow was reported missing. When asked, that is the story she told them (the brekky, Princess and frog, going back to bed after seeing her, etc).

Sheriff JM said that the story from CD came to them directly from CD herself upon arriving at the home after Willow was reported missing. When asked, that is the story she told them (the brekky, Princess and frog, going back to bed after seeing her, etc).

Wonder what time they first got there?

If I was the BF's mom, I'd be PO'd that I got in front of a camera and repeated what she told me and then found out it was a lie.

:steamed:

That is exactly how I feel!! I never believed a word out of CD's mouth to begin with. jmo

If I was the BF's mom, I'd be PO'd that I got in front of a camera and repeated what she told me and then found out it was a lie.

I get you not believing her now but why didn't you believe her originally?

:eek:

My intuition was very strong that a little 7 yr old girl did not leave home in her t-shirt ninetie, no shoes, no glasses, which she needed to see with, and just run out the door unless she was under some kind of duress ..... And her little 3-yr old brother would not have been continually crying for Willow if he wasn't frightened also.

Something horrible happened at that house and CD knows what. jmo

I get you not believing her now but why didn't you believe her originally?

Seems kind of deluded to think that an attorney would want to take up his case. Case probably won't be high profile outside of the immediate area, and I don't know any who would want to take up the case for a weird looking 22 year old from a small southern Illinois town of 500 people. Not exactly a case that will really be well known I believe.

Within a 200 mile radius is Chicago to the North, St. Louis to the SW, and Indianapolis to the NE. I've read reports that have come out of all three so there's awareness in all of those large cities. Who would want to take a case with a deceased 3 yr old child, whose mother is a party girl, didn't report her missing for 30 days, and told ridiculous lies to investigators? There's usually an attorney looking to get his name out there for the free publicity---doesn't matter if it's negative publicity or not.

I don't know if CD lied, per say. I think she was just telling LE what JD told her-that HE fed the kids and HE put the movie on. But instead of her saying that JD was the one who did that, she said it was her. Who knows why...wouldn't it just make sense to tell LE who actually said/did what? Then at least there wouldn't be so much discrepancy with all that morning's stories.

I used to think that might be possible but I don't anymore. Here's why---if JD made up that story and told it to CD, why wouldn't he tell the police the same story when they questioned him? Instead he comes up with the stick story from the night before. I now believe CD made up that story all on her own. JMO

I used to think that might be possible but I don't anymore. Here's why---if JD made up that story and told it to CD, why wouldn't he tell the police the same story when they questioned him? Instead he comes up with the stick story from the night before. I now believe CD made up that story all on her own. JMO

Maybe CD was hung over that Sunday and a little groggy. Maybe when she was questioned she flashed on what happened Saturday morning instead of Sunday morning. Could be that she didn't realize that it was not what happened Sunday morning until she had time to clear her head a little, and with her daughter missing I imagine a clear head would be hard to come by. I've been hung over a few times in my life and could hardly remember the night before, much less anything that happened when I first came to in the morning. Everything was just a fog. Jmo

Maybe CD was hung over that Sunday and a little groggy. Maybe when she was questioned she flashed on what happened Saturday morning instead of Sunday morning. Could be that she didn't realize that it was not what happened Sunday morning until she had time to clear her head a little, and with her daughter missing I imagine a clear head would be hard to come by. I've been hung over a few times in my life and could hardly remember the night before, much less anything that happened when I first came to in the morning. Everything was just a fog. Jmo

Oh no!!!! Not the fog again!! :floorlaugh:

ETA: In all seriousness, if a mother get's so smashed she can't remember correctly if she gave her children breakfast that day or the day before, can't remember if she saw them that morning or the morning before, she needs help and her children need even more help. CD told that same story/lie to her boyfriend's mother later in the day.

Yes, but Willow would still be dead. I think LE almost immediately looked towards Justin based on his behavior with Willow gone. I believe one of the officers commented and it was in an article about how weird it was that he choose to go to work when pretty much everyone else in town was looking for Willow.

Maybe I should have finished my thought:

If Mom had told the truth about not seeing the children that morning, the investigation would have immediately focused on the last adult who did see them, their uncle. This would have saved the physical and emotional stress for Willow's family and the hundreds that searched for her.

One lie effected hundreds of people and put them at risk:

Those who volunteered to search: How many lost pay for their days of searching because they took time off work? How many people have medical bills/hospital bills for the heat exhaustion they experienced (and probably still having some side effects) while searching for Willow?

I know many small communities fire departments, Search & Rescue, Water Rescue teams etc are strictly volunteer. IOW, they have jobs, but when they are called, they go and do not get paid by their employers.

And then you have the tax dollars that was spent. How many agencies involved in the search will have to cut somewhere else because of the $$ it cost to search?

I know from living in a rural farming community for 30 + years, all would do it again, heaven forbid, if another child goes missing.

Sorry for the rant. Maybe I am just tired of people not taking responsibility for their actions. If she did not get up with the children, why lie? Didn't she think when Willow was found, she would say Mom did not get up with us and we have not had breakfast?

jmo

Just a thought...what if this was not the first time the Uncle had tried this with Willow? What if this time she threatened to tell?

School had only been in session for a couple of weeks, do they teach children what to do about inappropriate touching and what to do if it happens to them?

jmo

A man who faces charges for allegedly killing his 7-year-old niece will appear in front of a grand jury for his indictment Wednesday morning.

Justin DeRyke, 22, is accused of murdering Willow Long in Effingham County early last week.

According to officials, Illinois State’s Attorney Bryan Kibler said DeRyke will be indicted on three first-degree murder charges during an indictment.

Officials said 16 to 21 jurors will hear details of the case. Kibler told News 4 there will most likely be a unanimous vote to indict him.

But despite that, Kibler said he expects Deryke’s public defender to enter a not guilty plea during the arraignment Thursday.

http://www.kmov.com/news/crime/Uncl...appears-in-front-of-grand-jury-224215581.html

A man who faces charges for allegedly killing his 7-year-old niece will appear in front of a grand jury for his indictment Wednesday morning.

Justin DeRyke, 22, is accused of murdering Willow Long in Effingham County early last week.

According to officials, Illinois State’s Attorney Bryan Kibler said DeRyke will be indicted on three first-degree murder charges during an indictment.

Officials said 16 to 21 jurors will hear details of the case. Kibler told News 4 there will most likely be a unanimous vote to indict him.

But despite that, Kibler said he expects Deryke’s public defender to enter a not guilty plea during the arraignment Thursday.

http://www.kmov.com/news/crime/Uncl...appears-in-front-of-grand-jury-224215581.html

Does anyone know at what point JD's attorney can/should request a change of venue? I'm on jury duty this week, and I can't watch/read any local news in case I see/hear something that could cloud my judgement. (I'm not in Effingham County, so I decided I can still check on Willow via WS since I've already read/heard every SINGLE article out there on her anyway).

But my point is, I'm an hour away and I can't imagine a judge hearing that I've read every article, seen every news cast, turned on my porch light and lit a candle and still believe me when I say that I believe I can listen impartially and based only on the evidence presented, so how in the world can anyone do the same in Effingham County?

I know a change of venue has been mentioned multiple times before, but I guess I thought they'd want a change of venue even before the GJ, because based only on what I've already heard through the media (using only the press conference/probable cause statement), I already feel that if I were on the GJ I'd have no choice but to say, "Yes, absolutely, there's enough to go to trial." Or is that just a given, so the change of venue comes later?

ETA: That being said, me being on jury duty and all, if any of you see any other cases in Illinois that you feel the need to link to for whatever reason, if you could maybe preface the post with something warning me not to look, I'd appreciate it. >.> I really WANT to be chosen to be on a jury, and I'm being so good at not even glancing at local news. I don't want to accidentally mess it up. (I didn't have to go today. They don't NEED jurors all day. HOW CAN THEY NOT NEED JURORS FOR AN ENTIRE DAY? Unacceptable. Ahem.)

Does anyone know at what point JD's attorney can/should request a change of venue? I'm on jury duty this week, and I can't watch/read any local news in case I see/hear something that could cloud my judgement. (I'm not in Effingham County, so I decided I can still check on Willow via WS since I've already read/heard every SINGLE article out there on her anyway).

But my point is, I'm an hour away and I can't imagine a judge hearing that I've read every article, seen every news cast, turned on my porch light and lit a candle and still believe me when I say that I believe I can listen impartially and based only on the evidence presented, so how in the world can anyone do the same in Effingham County?

I know a change of venue has been mentioned multiple times before, but I guess I thought they'd want a change of venue even before the GJ, because based only on what I've already heard through the media (using only the press conference/probable cause statement), I already feel that if I were on the GJ I'd have no choice but to say, "Yes, absolutely, there's enough to go to trial." Or is that just a given, so the change of venue comes later?

ETA: That being said, me being on jury duty and all, if any of you see any other cases in Illinois that you feel the need to link to for whatever reason, if you could maybe preface the post with something warning me not to look, I'd appreciate it. >.> I really WANT to be chosen to be on a jury, and I'm being so good at not even glancing at local news. I don't want to accidentally mess it up. (I didn't have to go today. They don't NEED jurors all day. HOW CAN THEY NOT NEED JURORS FOR AN ENTIRE DAY? Unacceptable. Ahem.)

A change of venue for a grand jury is pretty rare, I think. Grand jurors are usually meet once a month and serve for a year.

They only have so many court rooms, so many judges and so many hours in a day. Years ago when called, everyone had to report and would sit all day until the judge would let them go even though there was no way possible to get through all the jurors in questions. Once a jury is set, the next prospective jurors for the next upcoming trial will be called in.

More info about Illinois Jury Service can be found here: http://www.ilsd.uscourts.gov/JuryFAQ.aspx#grand

jmo

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliver
Back