GUILTY IL - Willow Long, 7, Watson, 8 Sept 2013 - #5

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hopefully gitana or another attorney will chime in here, but I believe in most states, the defendant and the defendant's attorney are not present during a Grand Jury hearing. I think the Grand Jury is pretty much the state's attorney (or assistant state's attorney) presenting evidence to jurors, including any witnesses called. My limited understanding of Grand Juries is that they are heavily weighted towards the prosecution (state) by their design. So I don't think there would be a request for a change of venue for the Grand Jury, but I don't know. JMO

I am not a lawyer, but it is my understanding that the GJ indictment must come from the county the charge originated in.

I served on a Grand Jury in another state and the prosecutor presented witnesses and exhibits but there was no defense or anyone from the defense in the room. We just had to decide if there was enough evidence to proceed to trial(True Bill) not guilt or innocence.

It probably wasn't a big thing about her being out and her brother watching them but the her going out part may have been a no/no for her parents and she didn't think it was that serious a situation.

Your acting like the first through through her mind when she found out she was gone was that she had been abducted or killed. If it's true that Willow had wandered off before then the first though was probably "ok what is Willow getting herself into now" The lie was no issue to me it could have been made out of panic and a irrational thought that it could be used against her in custody court or that it would cause her parents to kick her out. Also she would have had to trust her brothers word as her own about when Willow was last seen.
I would be much more upset if it comes out that she never talked to JD that day and didn't know when he said he last saw her and the breakfast story was just her making it up completely without some basis in fact.

Her seven year old daughter was missing. She didn't know where she was, and she could have been anywhere, with anything happening to her. Of course it was serious. If she didn't think it was serious, I'd hate to see what she does consider serious. She *did* call 911, (after mom telling her to) so, she must have found it passibly serious anyway.

The lie she told was very detailed. Someone put some thought into all of those lies. (because it was more than one.) Why?

Something else is bothering me. And maybe it's because I grew up in a loving family, so, I expect things to be a certain way.

I know if my child had been killed, and my grandparents (who raised me) were alive, I would not be moving out of their house into a hotel. We would all be together. And we would be together at the memorial. Grandma seems like a very loving woman. So...why is everyone not together at this terrible time?

I feel so bad for grandma, as it seems that she has no one now. Grandpa's grief seems to have overshadowed his commitment to his family in a way. He left the memorial early, and just doesn't seem like he's there to support his wife as he should. I know he's heartbroken, but, his wife needs him. (and he needs her)

I'm totally baffled by mom. Why is she seemingly avoiding her family? Are they judging and/or blaming her? Is she too into whatever scene she's into grieve properly with her family? What is going on here?

Everyone does grieve differently, granted. But family...wouldn't family come together in the insurmountable loss of a beautiful seven year old angel? I just don't know what to think about this. But I find it...disturbing and sad.

Her seven year old daughter was missing. She didn't know where she was, and she could have been anywhere, with anything happening to her. Of course it was serious. If she didn't think it was serious, I'd hate to see what she does consider serious. She *did* call 911, (after mom telling her to) so, she must have found it passibly serious anyway.

The lie she told was very detailed. Someone put some thought into all of those lies. (because it was more than one.) Why?

I think there are just some people who lie for the sake of lying. CD may have thought that Willow had wandered off and made up the breakfast story because it sounded better than being at a bar and not getting up to look after the kids. MOO

I don't condone it and it's aggravating but I realize there are people in this world that just lie about the smallest of things for no reason.

Something else is bothering me. And maybe it's because I grew up in a loving family, so, I expect things to be a certain way.

I know if my child had been killed, and my grandparents (who raised me) were alive, I would not be moving out of their house into a hotel. We would all be together. And we would be together at the memorial. Grandma seems like a very loving woman. So...why is everyone not together at this terrible time?

I feel so bad for grandma, as it seems that she has no one now. Grandpa's grief seems to have overshadowed his commitment to his family in a way. He left the memorial early, and just doesn't seem like he's there to support his wife as he should. I know he's heartbroken, but, his wife needs him. (and he needs her)

I'm totally baffled by mom. Why is she seemingly avoiding her family? Are they judging and/or blaming her? Is she too into whatever scene she's into grieve properly with her family? What is going on here?

Everyone does grieve differently, granted. But family...wouldn't family come together in the insurmountable loss of a beautiful seven year old angel? I just don't know what to think about this. But I find it...disturbing and sad.

Only a guess.....the family had to move out of the house when LE put crime tape around it late Monday night.

Video showing crime scene tape around the house can be seen here: http://fox2now.com/2013/09/09/7-year-old-girl-missing-from-effingham-county-in-illinois/

I can see why anyone and everyone would leave that house. Aside from being cordoned off by police, even later - who would want to go back there? As a mother, no way in heck could I live in a house where my 7yo daughter had been murdered. I couldn't even imagine! :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Does anyone know at what point JD's attorney can/should request a change of venue? I'm on jury duty this week, and I can't watch/read any local news in case I see/hear something that could cloud my judgement. (I'm not in Effingham County, so I decided I can still check on Willow via WS since I've already read/heard every SINGLE article out there on her anyway).

But my point is, I'm an hour away and I can't imagine a judge hearing that I've read every article, seen every news cast, turned on my porch light and lit a candle and still believe me when I say that I believe I can listen impartially and based only on the evidence presented, so how in the world can anyone do the same in Effingham County?

I know a change of venue has been mentioned multiple times before, but I guess I thought they'd want a change of venue even before the GJ, because based only on what I've already heard through the media (using only the press conference/probable cause statement), I already feel that if I were on the GJ I'd have no choice but to say, "Yes, absolutely, there's enough to go to trial." Or is that just a given, so the change of venue comes later?

ETA: That being said, me being on jury duty and all, if any of you see any other cases in Illinois that you feel the need to link to for whatever reason, if you could maybe preface the post with something warning me not to look, I'd appreciate it. >.> I really WANT to be chosen to be on a jury, and I'm being so good at not even glancing at local news. I don't want to accidentally mess it up. (I didn't have to go today. They don't NEED jurors all day. HOW CAN THEY NOT NEED JURORS FOR AN ENTIRE DAY? Unacceptable. Ahem.)

Like others have said, there aren't change of venues for GJ's. As for the regular trial, I believe it's decided if there will be a change of venue about a month or two before the trial is scheduled to begin. I could see this case having a chance of venue because of how small the county's population is. If it was a more suburban or urban county, I don't think the trial would move.

Maybe I should have finished my thought:

If Mom had told the truth about not seeing the children that morning, the investigation would have immediately focused on the last adult who did see them, their uncle. This would have saved the physical and emotional stress for Willow's family and the hundreds that searched for her.

One lie effected hundreds of people and put them at risk:

Those who volunteered to search: How many lost pay for their days of searching because they took time off work? How many people have medical bills/hospital bills for the heat exhaustion they experienced (and probably still having some side effects) while searching for Willow?

I know many small communities fire departments, Search & Rescue, Water Rescue teams etc are strictly volunteer. IOW, they have jobs, but when they are called, they go and do not get paid by their employers.

And then you have the tax dollars that was spent. How many agencies involved in the search will have to cut somewhere else because of the $$ it cost to search?

I know from living in a rural farming community for 30 + years, all would do it again, heaven forbid, if another child goes missing.

Sorry for the rant. Maybe I am just tired of people not taking responsibility for their actions. If she did not get up with the children, why lie? Didn't she think when Willow was found, she would say Mom did not get up with us and we have not had breakfast?

jmo

Your comparing what the searchers lost (1 day's pay and some sweat, with what CD lost her daughter forever) I feel more sympathy for CD. What the searchers did was fantastic but that search would have gone on no matter what CD had said because I'm sure JD was ready with a lie for the cops. He seemed to have his lies worked out when he confessed.

I used to think that might be possible but I don't anymore. Here's why---if JD made up that story and told it to CD, why wouldn't he tell the police the same story when they questioned him? Instead he comes up with the stick story from the night before. I now believe CD made up that story all on her own. JMO

You have to realize that JD had an initial interview where he didn't confess. He had to tell them something about when he last saw her and I'm guessing at that early a stage he wasn't saying Saturday night. He didn't confess till a later interview.

Within a 200 mile radius is Chicago to the North, St. Louis to the SW, and Indianapolis to the NE. I've read reports that have come out of all three so there's awareness in all of those large cities. Who would want to take a case with a deceased 3 yr old child, whose mother is a party girl, didn't report her missing for 30 days, and told ridiculous lies to investigators? There's usually an attorney looking to get his name out there for the free publicity---doesn't matter if it's negative publicity or not.

you took the words out of my mouth. exactly!!!!!!!!!!!

Not sure how the family could really be together right now. The grandparents are probably going through a ton. Grandpa not that long ago said that JD was the only good child he had. If grandpa still believes JD I can see why CD wouldn't want to be around them. I'm sure the grandparents also have a ton of guilt and just messed up feelings about who is the blame for what happened.

May this be a sign that his father decided to not pay for one? I was under the assumption when they mentioned Private attorney that his dad still believed him. Not with this new information maybe the father is finally starting to see the light and now refuses to pay for his court.

Maybe they see the light because a murder charge could cost close to one million bucks

Not sure how the family could really be together right now. The grandparents are probably going through a ton. Grandpa not that long ago said that JD was the only good child he had. If grandpa still believes JD I can see why CD wouldn't want to be around them. I'm sure the grandparents also have a ton of guilt and just messed up feelings about who is the blame for what happened.

Yeah, I've just never really seen it go like this before. Generally, most families of missing and/or murdered children comfort and hold each other up.

It's very possible that I'm in a small minority to find this odd.

Maybe they see the light because a murder chargencould cost close to one million bucks

When the grandfather first started talking everything was still very fresh and I'm sure that that early it may be hard for him to believe that his grandson did this. I think over time he may be able to come to realize who did this and remove his support from him for the sake of his marriage and his daughter.

Does anyone know at what point JD's attorney can/should request a change of venue? I'm on jury duty this week, and I can't watch/read any local news in case I see/hear something that could cloud my judgement. (I'm not in Effingham County, so I decided I can still check on Willow via WS since I've already read/heard every SINGLE article out there on her anyway).

But my point is, I'm an hour away and I can't imagine a judge hearing that I've read every article, seen every news cast, turned on my porch light and lit a candle and still believe me when I say that I believe I can listen impartially and based only on the evidence presented, so how in the world can anyone do the same in Effingham County?

I know a change of venue has been mentioned multiple times before, but I guess I thought they'd want a change of venue even before the GJ, because based only on what I've already heard through the media (using only the press conference/probable cause statement), I already feel that if I were on the GJ I'd have no choice but to say, "Yes, absolutely, there's enough to go to trial." Or is that just a given, so the change of venue comes later?

ETA: That being said, me being on jury duty and all, if any of you see any other cases in Illinois that you feel the need to link to for whatever reason, if you could maybe preface the post with something warning me not to look, I'd appreciate it. >.> I really WANT to be chosen to be on a jury, and I'm being so good at not even glancing at local news. I don't want to accidentally mess it up. (I didn't have to go today. They don't NEED jurors all day. HOW CAN THEY NOT NEED JURORS FOR AN ENTIRE DAY? Unacceptable. Ahem.)

Most cases are settled without a trial.

They will ask you all kinds of questions. I was going to be on a sex abuse trial. Never heard of the guy. They asked questions about sex abuse issues.

Nobody knowns what happened, but after the call and filling out questions, etc, the case never went to trial.

Change of venue is super expensive and rarely done. It will takes months for this to ever make it to court.

It will, cuz he thinks he will get off, just like Jodi Arias did.

He is not a hot sexy little number like Casey Anthony

Yeah, I've just never really seen it go like this before. Generally, most families of missing and/or murdered children comfort and hold each other up.

It's very possible that I'm in a small minority to find this odd.

I really don't see this as a typical situation where the whole family was living together and one of the family members killed another one. The blame and the internal guilt must be horrible for everyone. The grandparents wondering if they were more firm about kicking there birds out of the next and making it on there own Willow would be alive.

Maybe there was an incident where they could have made them leave and didn't. Not see the warning signs. The grandparents must be a huge emotional wreck right now.

Your comparing what the searchers lost (1 day's pay and some sweat, with what CD lost her daughter forever) I feel more sympathy for CD. What the searchers did was fantastic but that search would have gone on no matter what CD had said because I'm sure JD was ready with a lie for the cops. He seemed to have his lies worked out when he confessed.

Thanks! I was wondering if i was the only compassionate poster here =/

Thanks! I was wondering if i was the only compassionate poster here =/

You might want to change that description.

I see plenty of compassion on here.

Just because someone does not feel that what CD did was in the best interests if the search fir Willow does not make them not compassionate.

Searchers went out in the blazing heat. Imagine. Some were hospitalized.

Wow. Not their child, but they put their all into it for a little child.

And as someone said, they have medical bills as well as effects from whatever hospitalized them as well as loss of income.

I cannot even imagine what it was like out there in the broiling heat with sweat running down your face and into your eyes. Insects buzzing and biting.

Exhaustion, but people went on and on , sacrificing to find this lost little child. Wow!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaCarmela
Back