Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #1 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh! If Yingying was picked up at W Clark Street and N. Godwin Avenue (I believe I got that right) the driver is 5 minutes from I-74 and looking at Google Maps it doesn't take long to be in rural Illinois if you take I-74 East.

You are correct. I lived a few blocks away from that intersection while I was in college, and one thing I liked about it was the easy access to the interstate (and thus, the mall) via Lincoln Ave.

There is so much that bothers me about this case. I know they have not established an official connection between the cop impersonator and Zhang's abductor, but my personal feeling is that they are one in the same. This would explain her speaking with him for a few minutes before actually getting into the car with him. I think he was "questioning" her, then asked where she was going and offered her a ride to her destination. Being a Chinese national who hadn't been here long, she may not yet have known that a Saturn Astra is not a typical vehicle for a plainclothes officer to be driving, so the other red herrings were enough to gain her trust.

*If* the human trafficking theory is incorrect (and I pray that it is), I think this predator is a young person who is either local to central IL and familiar with campus that way, or a current or former student. I don't think he was targeting international students specifically based on earlier reports of his cop impersonation. At this time of the year, campus is almost deserted, and the few people that are around just happen to be largely international students who don't go home for the summer (especially in the area where she was abducted). I think he is likely a loner with few close friends or family, and this allowed him to do what he did and lay low afterwards without arousing suspicion from people close to him. I don't think the car is stolen, but the plates *might* be.

Besides going to school at U of I, I was also born and raised in this area. I have noticed that there is VERY little social media attention being given to this case by people from my home area. I'm worried that people are paying so little attention to this that they're not even on the lookout for the car (which I'm sure by now is being hidden by the perp, but still). I sense that folks have sort of a "this can't happen to me" attitude because she is a visiting Chinese scholar. Some of the comments I have seen on social media are actually appalling, as they are very much in the vein of "why should I care?". It's so disheartening. I thank all of you who are taking the time to look into and follow this case, local or not.

Removing hubcaps is part of stripping the car down.

If you look at the image of the inside of the car, you can see the clutch shift, so it's a standard shift vehicle also, which means his right hand uses the shifter to go from gear to gear.

I think Yingying bent over to adjust her backpack after she first got into the car. I don't think he would be able to do anything to her and still try to get up to speed to get moving.

Removing hubcaps is part of stripping the car down.

If you look at the image of the inside of the car, you can see the clutch shift, so it's a standard shift vehicle also, which means his right hand uses the shifter to go from gear to gear.

I think Yingying bent over to adjust her backpack after she first got into the car. I don't think he would be able to do anything to her and still try to get up to speed to get moving.

When I first looked it up I didn't see an automatic transmission as option. But according to Edmunds a 4 sp auto was available, so good catch on the transmission.

I thought someone said earlier it was sold in 2009, too. According to Edmunds, it was only available in the US for one year, 2008.

https://www.edmunds.com/saturn/astra/

When I first looked it up I didn't see an automatic transmission as option. But according to Edmunds a 4 sp auto was available, so good catch on the transmission.

I thought someone said earlier it was sold in 2009, too. According to Edmunds, it was only available in the US for one year, 2008.

https://www.edmunds.com/saturn/astra/
They did also make a 2009

Google "2009 saturn astra hatchback" to see more about it.

They did also make a 2009

Google "2009 saturn astra hatchback" to see more about it.

There were sales in 2009, but they were leftover 2008's. GM scrapped their plans to sell the 2009 in the USA due to an overabundance of 2008's. The plan was to go with the 2010 model in 2010, but Saturn folded in 2009 along with the Saab brand. The Astra is still around but in Europe as the Opel/Vauxhall Astra.

http://www.autonews.com/article/200...continue-09-astra-due-to-glut-of-08-inventory

http://blog.consumerguide.com/one-2008-saturn-astra/

In the video did you get the impression the conversation went on for a bit? It seemed to me she was comfortable getting into the vehicle and into the front seat.

Family of Missing Chinese Scholar Zhang Yingying Meets With University Officials in U.S.

[video=youtube;u5SCQfZbgdE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5SCQfZbgdE[/video]

Family of Missing Chinese Scholar Zhang Yingying Meets With University Officials in U.S.

[video=youtube;u5SCQfZbgdE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5SCQfZbgdE[/video]

Saw this last night and almost posted it. A bit emotional for me to watch. They watched their daughter go to the other side of the world just months ago and now she is missing. Or worse.

I think they have a person of interest but haven't been able to identify the person as a suspect for lack of evidence. That's just a hunch that I have. It would be relatively easy to narrow down the suspect list based on that vehicle and alibis. It was a Friday during the day in June. A lot of people would have been at work. Some may have been on vacation out of town with family or friends. There couldn't be more than a dozen or so Astras in the C-U area.

Thanks soooo much, imho!

Did you tell them about the Astra sold in Chicago in March, too?

TY, Laughing

:seeya:
Thanks for reminding me, Laughing!

Just added the March listing to my -our :)- original tip (at the time of your initial tip submission, they give you a username and a password, so that you can return to the website to review or update your original tip information; this also allows LE to contact you in case they want to ask for additional info. without you having to share your identity or contact info. with them).

Here's to hoping that Yingying's dad gets his precious daughter back today!

“When my daughter is found, I will never let her go back to the US,” her father told the Beijing Youth Daily.

A University of Illinois spokeswoman told the international network of the Chinese state broadcaster CCTV: “It’s hard on everybody. We just keep trying to be strong so that we can do our jobs and bring her home. That’s all we want, we just want her to come home.”

“Police officials are urging that community members not misinterpret a lack of updates as a sign that no progress is being made,” the University of Illinois Police Department Urbana-Champaign wrote on its website. “Although the investigation is moving forward very quickly, we are unable to comment on many specifics of the case both to protect the integrity of the investigation and make sure we can find Ms Zhang as quickly as possible.”

http://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...000-reward-help-trace-missing-chinese-student
http://www.ecns.cn/2017/06-19/262002.shtml

2. at 48", there was one guy rode a bicycle, and there was one while car approaching from behind.
3. when bicycle was close to stop sign and after stop sign, the white spot (her face) was gradually gone, it changed to black color.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Snipped for space.

These kind of make it look like the cyclist starts paying attention to the car, I wonder if there was some sort of noise. Though he does also seem to casually continue around the corner so maybe that's just a coincidence.

Saw this last night and almost posted it. A bit emotional for me to watch. They watched their daughter go to the other side of the world just months ago and now she is missing. Or worse.

Agree completely. Their raw pain is agonizing to watch. Praying with all my heart that she is safe and returned to her family soon...

What a nightmare! I wonder if Yingying thought this guy was a kind cab driver like her father? That last frame from the video of the car, where you can't see Yingying and it looks like the driver is looking down, freaks me out! I really hope Yingying is found safe and soon. I am terrified for her and her poor family.

I think they have a person of interest but haven't been able to identify the person as a suspect for lack of evidence. That's just a hunch that I have. It would be relatively easy to narrow down the suspect list based on that vehicle and alibis. It was a Friday during the day in June. A lot of people would have been at work. Some may have been on vacation out of town with family or friends. There couldn't be more than a dozen or so Astras in the C-U area.

I don't really follow this theory. I could see the police waiting for evidence before arresting a suspect in a murder case. But a missing person case where the girl is still missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jessiw1234