Deceased/Not Found IL - Yingying Zhang, 26, Urbana, 9 June 2017 #10 *Still Missing*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
well, we just disagree Kitty; I think they probably did search adequately early on, but quickly figured out there was nothing to find (neither of us know for sure what they did since they never publicly disclosed all their efforts); but I did think BC, attempting to save his own butt, would eventually come clean with all the info. (His whole 'game plan' and the Defense's remains a bit of a mystery to me.)
we can diagree but the searches are detailed in Aaron Eades court notes, pinned post on his profile.

But already there is now another question from the jury...

Matt Masterson

@ByMattMasterson

·
4m

The judge responded simply "In prison"

Matt Masterson

@ByMattMasterson

·
5m

The question was in regards to how jurors should consider Christensen's "future dangerousness," whether that means in prison or if he had evaded capture and was still free

Ok. They probably already took a straw vote. These questions tell us there was not a consensus right away. Somebody will have to be swayed.

I'm sensing life without parole.

But already there is now another question from the jury...

Matt Masterson

@ByMattMasterson

·
4m

The judge responded simply "In prison"

Matt Masterson

@ByMattMasterson

·
5m

The question was in regards to how jurors should consider Christensen's "future dangerousness," whether that means in prison or if he had evaded capture and was still free

For anybody who remains untriggered
Defense’s Emotional Closing: Brendt Christensen’s attorney began to cry as she put her hands on the defendant’s shoulders saying, “For 2 years, we (the defense) have stood by Brendt..he’s a whole person... don’t sentence him to death.”
@foxillinois
@wics_abc20

Ugh ... unprofessional, isn't it?

Ok. They probably already took a straw vote. These questions tell us there was not a consensus right away. Somebody will have to be swayed.

I'm sensing life without parole.

Which would save a lot of appeals. That is the only reason I won't be tremendously disappointed if it is LWOP

Ben..( jury having a very hard time trying to understand the instructions.. Several q's so far)

At 3:30, the court security officer handed the clerk a note with two new questions
Judge Shadid returned and read the questions. (6/
The first asked if they were supposed to quantify the number of jurors who found each mitigating factor proved by a preponderance of the evidence. Both sides agreed the answer is yes. (7
And the second question asked whether they should consider at this stage whether they personally think a factor is mitigating. (8/11
Both sides agreed to refer the jury to the jury instructions, which tell them to weigh aggravating and mitigating factors after they determine which exist. (9/11)
Judge Shadid wrote Yes next to the first question and signed it and on the back of the note, wrote out his answer to the second question. (10/
The note was then returned to the jury at 3:41 p.m. (11/11)

Yep. LWOP. This jury feels sorry for him.

Ben..( jury having a very hard time trying to understand the instructions.. Several q's so far)

At 3:30, the court security officer handed the clerk a note with two new questions
Judge Shadid returned and read the questions. (6/
The first asked if they were supposed to quantify the number of jurors who found each mitigating factor proved by a preponderance of the evidence. Both sides agreed the answer is yes. (7
And the second question asked whether they should consider at this stage whether they personally think a factor is mitigating. (8/11
Both sides agreed to refer the jury to the jury instructions, which tell them to weigh aggravating and mitigating factors after they determine which exist. (9/11)
Judge Shadid wrote Yes next to the first question and signed it and on the back of the note, wrote out his answer to the second question. (10/
The note was then returned to the jury at 3:41 p.m. (11/11)

Since there is nothing to do now but wait, I'm entertaining myself reading the science of juror behavior. There is a sizable amount of research specifically analyzing and quantifying the behaviors of jurors in DP cases. One fact is that women are less likely to vote to impose the death penalty EVEN if they believe in the DP. Statistically, it would take for the women in this jury to fully identify with YYZ and her family to actually cast a vote to kill.

All we can do for now is speculate and based on the nature of the questions so far I venture to say at least some in this jury swallowed the pity party or saw their own sons, grandsons or neighbors in BC.

Pure speculation on my part, but at least partly supported by research on juror behavior: https://www.in.gov/ipdc/files/Overview of CJP and Other Findings-spring-2010.pdf

Maybe, but right now and probably for the next several hours they need to wade through absolutely tons of material.
They are attempting to find clarity on what exactly they must decide and vote upon..
It's a very complicated legal document...

Since there is nothing to do now but wait, I'm entertaining myself reading the science of juror behavior. There is a sizable amount of research specifically analyzing and quantifying the behaviors of jurors in DP cases. One fact is that women are less likely to vote to impose the death penalty EVEN if they believe in the DP. Statistically, it would take for the women in this jury to fully identify with YYZ and her family to actually cast a vote to kill.

All we can do for now is speculate and based on the nature of the questions so far I venture to say at least some in this jury swallowed the pity party or saw their own sons, grandsons or neighbors in BC.

Pure speculation on my part, but at least partly supported by research on juror behavior: https://www.in.gov/ipdc/files/Overview of CJP and Other Findings-spring-2010.pdf

That theory did not play out in the Charleston church killer's DP hearing.

Prob with this case is that it received v poor bug media coverage, all the local media that covered it were cited and threatened and blamed so they had to be far more conservative and tame in their reportage because their publications were under threat from his defense.
So we have no descriptions at all of the jury and how they appear to be responding to evidence.
It's impossible to call it,
Usually by now, we'd know that juror no 8 was fussing with his shoes and juror 11 was chewing gum or whatever.
This is utterly blank

eades contd
AUSA Nelson holds up the duffel bag the FBI bought (identical to the one BC did), saying the jury can determine whether or not a human being can fit inside one
@

"He's not just a cold-blooded killer," Pollock says, "In fact, I don't think he is one at all." Later, when describing YZ's kidnapping/death, she looks directly at the Zhang family and sincerely says "I'm sorry."

Then Asst. Federal Defender Elisabeth Pollock delivers her closing argument. She has a powerpoint presentation explaining jury instructions and their mitigating factors
@WCIA

No amount of Drano could erase what they say happened [in the bathroom]" she says. AUSA Miller would later dispute this claim in the government's rebuttal
@WCI

Toward the end, Pollock tears up, walks over and puts her hands on Brendt's shoulders. She argues that what he did for three months in 2017 isn't a full enough picture of who he is to warrant a sentence of death
@WCIA3

AUSA Miller gives a lengthy, pointed (albeit repetetive and rambling) rebuttal, concluding it with "The lre is only one sentence that will do justice in this case."
@WCIA

he jury is now deliberating. In order for a sentence of death to be imposed, it must be unanimous, the jury following the instructions to determine the aggravating factors outweigh the mitigating ones. If just one juror holds out, it's automatic life in prison

Because of that, federal prosecutors argued that the jury should work toward a goal of reaching agreement, while the defense said they should all think as individuals

Court is in recess now. Closing arguments just finished for the sentencing phase of the Brendt Christensen trial. The courtroom was full, and an overflow room was opened up to accommodate the crowd.

Mitigating factors include no criminal record, BC’s mother’s history of depression and alcoholism, BC’s capability to love and care, the breakdown of BC’s marriage, how well BC behaved in jail, etc.
@WCIA3

Aaron Eades Retweeted

Courtney Bunting

@cbuntingWCIA3

·
16m

The jury is given a list of mitigating and aggravating factors they need to go over in order to make a decision for the death penalty. Aggravating factors include the vulnerability of the victim, lack of remorse, and victim impact.

Sorry ? Any idiot can say that without sincerity. !

He killed and say sorry and that it ?

Baddd. Very bad. She should go to prison too is my opinion.

Courtney
Prosecution references past statements by Zhang’s father: “To tell you the truth, I do not know how to live the rest of my life.”

Prosecution: “Sometimes innocent children grow up to be cruel adults.”

Prosecution ends by defending the UI Counseling Center, saying,”They had to rely on what he (BC) said, and they didn’t know that what they were talking to was a very good liar.”
@

@

Bc killed not just yyz, but her entire family. It will live with the family life's forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clm79