DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

liltexans

Retired WS Staff
Reaction score
ATTENTION WEBSLEUTHS MEMBERS:

Recently a handful of posters has been bickering, going off topic, and in general being a major pain in our moderator’s behinds.

The next person that argues posts something totally off topic or does anything against our terms of service that poster will get a time out and I will keep giving time outs until everyone understands.

This thread is about Yingying and her tragic murder. It is not for you to bicker back and forth about things that have NOTHING to do with Yingying.

If you have a problem with a post, hit the Alert button in the lower left-hand corner and follow the directions. Even if a poster directly calls you out, you need to ignore and alert. Let us handle it.

We do not allow rumors, posts from other forums, or posts from other blogs.

We do allow things relevant to the case to be discussed. Since the Fetlife website is in the affidavit, then we can discuss what this site has to do with the case. Please do not post any pictures or links to the site.

If you see something you don’t like you must alert and then scroll past the problem post.

Finally, our moderator “liltexans” is a fantastic and dedicated moderator. When liltexan speaks, you must listen to her. Show her the respect she deserves as one of our moderators.

You don’t want me to come back to this thread again. I am old, cranky, and I am desperate for a chocolate shake; therefore, I am not in a great mood. Best to listen to liltexan and post without violating our terms of service http://www.websleuths.com/forums/misc.php?do=showrules

Thank you,
Tricia Griffith Owner/Websleuths.com

UPDATE: Police release new details about missing UI scholar

image1.PNG

Police spokesman Pat Wade said Yingying Zhang, 26, boarded a Champaign-Urbana Mass Transit District Teal line bus at 1:35 p.m. Friday at the south shelter at the Orchard Downs complex in Urbana. She got off the bus at 1:52 p.m. at Springfield and Mathews avenues in Urbana and hasn't been seen since then.

Wade said the last time she was seen, Zhang was wearing a charcoal-gray hat with a white logo on the front, a white/pink flannel long-sleeve shirt, a white undershirt, jeans, white shoes and a navy-blue backpack. She has shoulder-length brown hair and wears glasses.
89416_0611_loca_yingying_zhang.jpg

attachment.php

Multiple attempts to contact her at her home and on her cellphone have been unsuccessful, Wade said. Police have also talked to friends and checked local hospitals, as is routine in missing-persons cases.

The visiting scholar from China was headed to the One North apartment complex on North Lincoln Avenue in Urbana on Friday to sign a lease, Wade said.

"She texted the property manager at One North at 1:30 p.m., said she was going to be late and never showed up. That was the last anyone has heard from her," he said.
UPDATE: Police seek information on car tied to missing UI scholar

The FBI says it has located the car that a missing Chinese scholar studying at the University of Illinois was last seen getting into earlier this month.

The FBI said in a Tuesday statement that it's received "numerous leads" regarding the black Saturn Astra and won't need any further information on the vehicle. Authorities also said they've developed "several additional leads" in the investigation.

FBI spokesman Brad Ware declined to give further details.

FBI locates car related to missing Chinese scholar case

On Friday night, a day after hundreds marched in Urbana in support of Yingying Zhang, the FBI announced the arrest of Brendt Christensen, 28, of Champaign, on a federal criminal complaint that charges him with Zhang’s June 9 kidnapping.

Authorities said they think Zhang is no longer alive based on audio FBI agents heard of Christensen, under surveillance Thursday, describing how he kidnapped her and what the bureau described only as “other facts uncovered during the investigation of this matter.”

FBI spokesman Brad Ware said he couldn’t comment on where Zhang might be, saying: “It’s still an ongoing investigation.”

UPDATED: Former grad student arrested in UI scholar's disappearance; FBI presumes her dead

Previous Thread - #6
Previous Thread - #7

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 11
Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Websleuths Members,

In true crime, we have to deal with some very ugly topics, pictures, and situations.

We are a true crime discussion forum. It's what we do.

The police released documents saying the suspect had an account at Fetlife.

Our member mrsobrien did incredible sleuthing and came up with some posts by the suspect at Fetlife.

As sure as one can be the documents mrsobrien will post are from Brendt Christensen.

Fetlife was in the documents released by the police and will more than likely play a big role in a trial if there is one.

If you do not like it, if you find this offensive then you can choose not to participate in the discussion. You can leave the discussion
altogether if you like but please do not post any complaints or accuse Websleuths of doing horrible things.

Mrsobrien will be here shortly.

Thank you mrsobrien and all the members who sleuthed this part of the case.

Tricia

Mod Note

BC's wife is OFF LIMITS.

The woman from the march is OFF LIMITS.

STOP discussing and/or asking questions about either of these women.

STOP trying to find out if anyone is currently living in his apartment.

TIme Outs will be issued to those who continue to post with a disregard for the rules.

Final warning.

I would not be shocked if the wife was found to be an accomplice down the road. I have felt this way all along. When BC was arrested, on a Sunday I believe, there were reports posted here of the wife being seen at the gym bright and early the very next day looking calm and unbothered. I get being disciplined and using fitness to cope, but there's no way I could face the world after my husband is arrested for the murder that is the talk of the town. I'd maybe do some sit ups at home or go for a run with a hoodie or something. My point is: where is the shame? where is the discomfort with having one's husband turn the town upside down? She was either involved and brazen or has the ability to completely disconnect herself emotionally from the people around her. Not good either way. She was recognized.

this
Emotions ran high as Miller asked Michelle, “Do you love your ex-husband as he sits here today?”

She took a very long pause, stared deep into Brendt's eyes and frowned while asking, "Is that relevant?"
thanks dm, i missed it, not sure why...did she not at one point present the prosecution with a jail letter he sent her and there were various arguments as regards whether the jail-letter could be admitted into evidence, about a year ago?
What has brought about this shift? what does she stand to gain by supporting her ex-husband at this stage, will check out gazette story on fb now..Wowsers!
Gazette link here again, Christensen's ex-wife differs wth FBI agents' testimony
really need a full transcript, is it on pacer or open?
Wondering now wdh was going on between them?

She was either involved and brazen or has the ability to completely disconnect herself emotionally from the people around her. Not good either way. She was recognized.

I don’t remember hearing this about being seen at the gym the next day (he was arrested on June 30th, a Friday, btw), but it doesn’t surprise me. As for disconnecting emotionally, maybe the open relationship stuff plays into that. I haven’t known many people personally who practice this, but the few I have have always struck me as odd.

Adding to her oddness, she was on the News-Gazette Facebook page arguing with people after they published the article on her testimony. That’s something that I would avoid like the plague if I were connected to a case like this -talking about it on social media.

Ultimately, I don’t think she was involved in it; but I’m sure the FBI are not her favorite people. She clearly is upset with the FBI’s characterization of the events at her apartment -telling everyone she stood naked in front of them and refused to put clothes on until they ordered her to. My guess is that throughout this, they were pretty stern with her; telling her that while they didn’t think she was involved, she would be doing herself a favor if she cooperated, because they wouldn’t hesitate to charge her with obstruction, or even aiding and abetting, if they began to suspect she was covering for him.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not be shocked if the wife was found to be an accomplice down the road. I have felt this way all along. When BC was arrested, on a Sunday I believe, there were reports posted here of the wife being seen at the gym bright and early the very next day looking calm and unbothered. I get being disciplined and using fitness to cope, but there's no way I could face the world after my husband is arrested for the murder that is the talk of the town. I'd maybe do some sit ups at home or go for a run with a hoodie or something. My point is: where is the shame? where is the discomfort with having one's husband turn the town upside down? She was either involved and brazen or has the ability to completely disconnect herself emotionally from the people around her. Not good either way. She was recognized.
what reports are you referring to, please, exactly? How could she have been involved when she was out of town all weekend?
Who allegedly 'recognised' her?
The poor woman was subjected to awful abuse on fB when she posted to try to defend herself.
Let's not add to it, okay, unless some actual evidence exists.

More on the search of BC’s cell 2hile he was in court

https://www.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.ilcd.70076/gov.uscourts.ilcd.70076.195.0.pdf

They were there to interview other inmates, and did so at that time to avoid interacting with BC. Livingston County jail employees inspected his cell, so the FBI would avoid exposing themselves to documents covered by attorney-client privilege....

Breaking prison rules, I do wonder at the titles of the books
After that, the jail staff shared with the FBI the nature of the items it had located with the defendant’s pod, including a contraband pen and six books, in violation of the jail’s three book limit.

dm, in view of the fact the wife had two boyfriends what do you think about the chances that she was aware that BC was hoping to bring a girl home that fateful weekend? Maybe that's why she left town that weekend, to give him the flat to himself. JMO mind working overtime.

dm, in view of the fact the wife had two boyfriends what do you think about the chances that she was aware that BC was hoping to bring a girl home that fateful weekend? Maybe that's why she left town that weekend, to give him the flat to himself. JMO mind working overtime.
Another thought...maybe they didn't pry into what the other was doing. Maybe his wife spent the weekend with one of her boyfriends and BC took advantage of the privacy he had in the apartment to commit his crime against Yingying. The wife probably wouldn't have cared if he brought someone else to the apartment while she was gone, but didn't suspect he would actually kidnap, assault and possibly kill a woman, and wouldn't have asked questions of her husband.

I don't remember where I heard it, but what I remember hearing was that his wife went out of town for the weekend to visit friends in Wisconsin.

From the outset his wife and his g/f were off topic. We were not permitted to discuss them and rightly so. It was a very strict rule and it was enforced. So now we are pre-trial and we are witnessing both being abused again, tEB , by the defence in an effort to thwart her testimony, without which there would be no case. His ex-wife is fair game for all and sundry yet as far as I am aware she neither contributed to his alleged crime nor attempted to cover it up. The argument she made on the gazette post was simply that she was not in charge of the questions that were asked or the manner in which they were put to her. A lot of this is mere speculation, headlines, without the actual court transcript. YY is still missing and if any proof of her death actually exists, I am not aware of it.
Does any exist, or not?
Is she dead or alive?
I know it is far more likely she was murdered but we have no evidence to that effect and we do not know what evidence was produced in order to place case on death penalty status. I assume they must have produced more than speculation.
She was abducted 9th, he was first questioned on 12th.. that whole missing weekend.. 3 days. What happened?
They are trying to suppress the 'computer contents'
Why?
what do they hold?
Is there evidence of her murder within those records?
How good is it?
If he killed her immediately, either accidentally or for some other reason, how did he spend the rest of the weekend?
Where is she?
Why did his legal team not offer to trade her location in exchange for swapping dp for life in prison?
If the 'smirking-in-court' bit is accurate, it suggests he has not changed at all, still a malignant narcissist, still, quite possibly influencing both ex-wife and his g/f.
He had a lot of power and he may have it still and he knows what buttons to press if Michelle's responses are as a result of his ongoing control.
She knows him better than anybody. she spent years with him.
Hard to guess what is the nature of any pressure he may be bringing to bear on her right now, if any.
I'm just thinking aloud.
Clean out of ideas.
#FindYY.

From the outset his wife and his g/f were off topic. We were not permitted to discuss them and rightly so. It was a very strict rule and it was enforced. So now we are pre-trial and we are witnessing both being abused again, tEB , by the defence in an effort to thwart her testimony, without which there would be no case. His ex-wife is fair game for all and sundry yet as far as I am aware she neither contributed to his alleged crime nor attempted to cover it up. The argument she made on the gazette post was simply that she was not in charge of the questions that were asked or the manner in which they were put to her. A lot of this is mere speculation, headlines, without the actual court transcript. YY is still missing and if any proof of her death actually exists, I am not aware of it.
Does any exist, or not?
Is she dead or alive?
I know it is far more likely she was murdered but we have no evidence to that effect and we do not know what evidence was produced in order to place case on death penalty status. I assume they must have produced more than speculation.
She was abducted 9th, he was first questioned on 12th.. that whole missing weekend.. 3 days. What happened?
They are trying to suppress the 'computer contents'
Why?
what do they hold?
Is there evidence of her murder within those records?
How good is it?
If he killed her immediately, either accidentally or for some other reason, how did he spend the rest of the weekend?
Where is she?
Why did his legal team not offer to trade her location in exchange for swapping dp for life in prison?
If the 'smirking-in-court' bit is accurate, it suggests he has not changed at all, still a malignant narcissist, still, quite possibly influencing both ex-wife and his g/f.
He had a lot of power and he may have it still and he knows what buttons to press if Michelle's responses are as a result of his ongoing control.
She knows him better than anybody. she spent years with him.
Hard to guess what is the nature of any pressure he may be bringing to bear on her right now, if any.
I'm just thinking aloud.
Clean out of ideas.
#FindYY.

Just agreeing with you basically. The police stated they believed due to what they discovered she is dead, God rest her soul. So they absolutely must have seen something. Someone then mentioned a gas can???????? If my memory is correct? That would explain how, but not where, he disposed of his disgusting and cowardly, evil crime. Regarding those days, I guess we will find out. I am so sorry for her, and now for her family, and I just can't bear him. Regarding the ex wife's testimony factually: she is defending/protecting him. Why is up for grabs. I was married to a similar man, he attempted murder, but failed. So not as bad. But very violent, very scary. I went thru a lot of therapy. Most survivors come out as abusers or as ptsd people ( me) who keep reliving it. ( this site). Just to clarify, once they are out, they normally stop defending them, especially if the abuser is safely locked up. Most victims don't try to get them sprung. I have no clue about the ex specifically, but generally, her behavior does not represent the pattern of severely abused victimized women.

Last edited:
I don't recall a gas can, but a lot of time has elapsed, my understanding is that they believed he engaged in an activity that he knew could lead to her death nad it did, As far as I recall from superseding indictment they described the nature of his actions in no uncertain terms. It's awhile since I read it, I know we spent a lot of time examining chemicals that could cause a human body to liquidise, but, we found none that could complete this task in 3 days. We speculated about the use of a bath in the apartment but I cannot recall whether or not there actually was a bath. There was a reference to her body showing up in a sewer but none as to it's likely state or mode of getting there. I'm having a real hard time accepting this is a sickness in him, the feeling is that it is more of a wanton nature he possesses..always pushing pushing pushing his and others' limits for his own amusement. They did discover a prior attack by him but the details were not made publicly available or the girl identified.
Maybe it's good they are still searching, interviewing fellow prisoners and the like, but it suggests they may not have enough evidence without her body. This goes round and round in never-ending circles, almost infinitely and nobody can make it stop and it will never stop until she is discovered. I try to remind myself that YY is the priority here, not BC but it's hard to not get sucked into hating him, even though I feel that is exactly what he wants us to do- the world is his pawn. It's possible he sees himself as a genius mastermind and all who are observing/searching no more than his chess pieces. And he smirks and sneers.

I don't recall a gas can, but a lot of time has elapsed, my understanding is that they believed he engaged in an activity that he knew could lead to her death nad it did, As far as I recall from superseding indictment they described the nature of his actions in no uncertain terms. It's awhile since I read it, I know we spent a lot of time examining chemicals that could cause a human body to liquidise, but, we found none that could complete this task in 3 days. We speculated about the use of a bath in the apartment but I cannot recall whether or not there actually was a bath. There was a reference to her body showing up in a sewer but none as to it's likely state or mode of getting there. I'm having a real hard time accepting this is a sickness in him, the feeling is that it is more of a wanton nature he possesses..always pushing pushing pushing his and others' limits for his own amusement. They did discover a prior attack by him but the details were not made publicly available or the girl identified.
Maybe it's good they are still searching, interviewing fellow prisoners and the like, but it suggests they may not have enough evidence without her body. This goes round and round in never-ending circles, almost infinitely and nobody can make it stop and it will never stop until she is discovered. I try to remind myself that YY is the priority here, not BC but it's hard to not get sucked into hating him, even though I feel that is exactly what he wants us to do- the world is his pawn. It's possible he sees himself as a genius mastermind and all who are observing/searching no more than his chess pieces. And he smirks and sneers.

Can't wait till trial. I agree. Going round and round is hard. I can not imagine how her mother is bearing up . They seem so kind. Ahem, no sympathy needed for him, he does not appear to have a sickness/mental illness, he appears to be a sociopath. No remorse, shallow emotion, no empathy. A lack of conscience that ironically generally is terrific at eliciting pity and sympathy from those unfamiliar with his selfish, cruel self.

Don't recall if this article was posted yet.

Prosecutors defend FBI search of accused kidnapper's jail cell

Dec. 27, 2018

Summary:
Defense have requested a hearing to discuss the admissibility of evidence obtained during an FBI search of the defendant’s jail cell.

On Dec. 14, FBI agents went to Livingston County Jail to search Christensen’s cell and interview fellow inmates while he was at a pre-trial hearing in Peoria. Defense filed an emergency motion requesting an evidentiary hearing, claiming the search violated the defendant’s rights.

On Friday (12/21/18), the government filed a formal response to the complaint, asking that the court dismiss the defense's request, as the search didn't violate the rights of the defendant. In their response, prosecutors explained the reasoning behind the FBI’s timing of the search.

Although the government objects to an evidentiary hearing on this matter, they’re willing to bring in a third-party legal expert to ensure no attorney-client materials were obtained in the search.

Has Govt response to emergency hearing.

Don't recall if this article was posted yet.

Prosecutors defend FBI search of accused kidnapper's jail cell

Dec. 27, 2018

Summary:
Defense have requested a hearing to discuss the admissibility of evidence obtained during an FBI search of the defendant’s jail cell.

On Dec. 14, FBI agents went to Livingston County Jail to search Christensen’s cell and interview fellow inmates while he was at a pre-trial hearing in Peoria. Defense filed an emergency motion requesting an evidentiary hearing, claiming the search violated the defendant’s rights.

On Friday (12/21/18), the government filed a formal response to the complaint, asking that the court dismiss the defense's request, as the search didn't violate the rights of the defendant. In their response, prosecutors explained the reasoning behind the FBI’s timing of the search.

Although the government objects to an evidentiary hearing on this matter, they’re willing to bring in a third-party legal expert to ensure no attorney-client materials were obtained in the search.

Has Govt response to emergency hearing.

I posted their response filed on CourtListener on the day they filed it. I did not see this article yesterday...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay