Illegal for restaurants to serve the obese

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi there,

I love witches. I don't have any link and am too lazy to go find one, but I know I have read articles providing data that shows that obesity is more of an issue for black women than white woman, as a group, just as obesity is more an issue for white women than Chinese women, as a group.

I guess ive never really thought about who is more obese than who in terms of color , race, or creed, etc..

it just shocked me that it was said black women are more obese, and i wanted a link or article on it so i could read for myself..

i look at some one, and see there soul ,their personality, their spirit of life..
i dont judge on ones looks...

I think this supposed bill is bull cocky, lol...

mo, but big brother is sticking his nose in to many of my liberties...

OHHHHHHhhh, wait a minute, Jbean? where are u? wanna thank u for the link...

ot, i havent got my glasses on, .got my reading confused lol

Well I think that African Americans prefer women with a little more meat on their bones than whites do -- unfortunately! LOL

The law is just not very practical. I know alot of truckers who would be considered obese, and they'll be the first to tell you that food options at truck stops aren't really conducive to healthy eating. Is Mississippi telling us that overweight truckers will not be allowed to eat at truck stop fast food restaurants?

They're just asking for a trucker to get angry and irritable (or sick) on the road with a 20 ton weapon.

JACKSON, Miss. - A state lawmaker wants to ban restaurants from serving food to obese customers — but please, don’t be offended.

He says he never even expected his plan to become law.

“I was trying to shed a little light on the number one problem in Mississippi,” said Republican Rep. John Read of Gautier, who acknowledges that at 5-foot-11 and 230 pounds, he’d probably have a tough time under his own bill.
More at link:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22997073/wid/11915773?gt1=10914

I checked out this guy's BMI based on his statement of height and weight: 32.1--OBESE.

In other words, he is wasting time and taxpayer money by bringing up such a silly thing just to get his name in the news. I seriously still think he should be recalled. Get someone in there who takes the job seriously. Get rid of the two who were in it with him. Apparently they think something like this is more important than addressing this in a serious way or dealing with other serious issues.

What an idiot. He's a waste of the taxpayers' money and time.

This is my first post here, I have been lurking for a couple of weeks now.

I live in Mississippi notice I said "Live" I am not from here. I am not obese, (according to my own standards, but do a BMI, and I am )I consider this to be a slam in the face to all who live here. I feel like this is another step in taking away the rights of Americans. I for one, in the event that this gets passed, will boycott the places that refuse to serve those who are obese. That could very well mean that I have to eat every meal at home but that is ok too.

For granted, some people do bring it on themselves to be that way, others do not. There are a lot of health factors that play in a persons weight, as well as some mental health issues. But to ban them from putting money into a business and take away their right to eat is crap. Whats next? Limiting their purchases at the market?

Steph

So, would that mean before you pulled up to the intercom to place your order you would have to first stop and hear:

"PLEASE STEP OUT OF THE CAR AND STEP ON THE SCALE"
"PLEASE ENTER YOUR HEIGHT"
"WE ARE SORRY BUT YOU ARE TO FAT TO ORDER HERE, PLEASE LEAVE"

Give me a break!
Really, that was my first thought. How will they determine who is obese and who isn't. :waitasec:

I'm not stepping on a scale for anyone! Of course, I could put in my weight and then put in my height of 10' 2". That should give me the greenlight. :)

I really think this is just all grandstanding for media attention.. there is no way this will pass.

JACKSON, Miss. - A state lawmaker wants to ban restaurants from serving food to obese customers — but please, don’t be offended.

“I was trying to shed a little light on the number one problem in Mississippi,” said Republican Rep. John Read of Gautier, who acknowledges that at 5-foot-11 and 230 pounds, he’d probably have a tough time under his own bill.
More at link:

I checked out this guy's BMI based on his statement of height and weight: 32.1--OBESE.

number 1 problem???? gah, the schools there are a travesty. why doesnt he look at the education system?
being uneducated causes poverty in many/most cases. people end up un-employable, therefore poor, probably on public assistance, and they have no idea what is healthy eating.

what an idiot!

I live in Mississippi notice I said "Live" I am not from here. I am not obese, (according to my own standards, but do a BMI, and I am )I consider this to be a slam in the face to all who live here. I feel like this is another step in taking away the rights of Americans. I for one, in the event that this gets passed, will boycott the places that refuse to serve those who are obese. That could very well mean that I have to eat every meal at home but that is ok too.

For granted, some people do bring it on themselves to be that way, others do not. There are a lot of health factors that play in a persons weight, as well as some mental health issues. But to ban them from putting money into a business and take away their right to eat is crap. Whats next? Limiting their purchases at the market?

Steph

Welcome to the boards. Hope you keep posting.
Maybe his next step will be to only allow smaller sized clothing to be sold.
Whether the man is obese or not, he sure seems to have a small brain.

Steph

Why did you feel it necessary to make that distinction? Are you ashamed of living in MS?

For cryin out loud, what is this world coming too.
Who ever thought of this should be shot..(figuraly speaking)

Really, that was my first thought. How will they determine who is obese and who isn't. :waitasec:

I'm not stepping on a scale for anyone! Of course, I could put in my weight and then put in my height of 10' 2". That should give me the greenlight. :)

You are so right!!!! What woman would step on a scale? So there's half of the population of Mississippi boycotting restaurants.
Don't forget that there are age columns in those charts, too. I'd say 139 years would about do it. Now, I'm trying to picture you, LOL!

And no way am I trusting one of those fast food kids to eyeball me for obesity-they can't even get my orders right 50% of the time! One day I'd be fine and the next I'd be over the line because the kid spent the night before ogling photos of Mary Kate Olsen. :crazy:

More at link:

OMGosh...that IS fat. My boyfriend is 6'1 and he only weighs 192.

LMAO nan!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't think this will be the last we will see of legislation moving in this direction. They've taxed cigarettes, alcohol and gasoline to the moon and succeeded in decreasing usage of those products to the point of diminishing tax monies from these items. There have been mumblings over the past few years about the obesity epidemic with insurance companies getting involved. Obesity is costing the medical system money type of rhetoric. They will figure a way to tax this. I think this is scary because it is so ridiculously obvious. Why would they include restaurants that offer healthier choices on their menus, or health and vegetarian food establishments? This is the finger in the air to see which way the wind blows.

Sensational post, panglossian.

How many of you read the post I linked to above, and if you did, did you read the qoute in it, and the study? You are all still discussing the outdated BMI. Go read the post at least, if not the study, but I recommend reading the study. (It is three pages long, and very informative. I learned something from it too. I didn't know the BMI was outdated.) It isn't how much fat you have, it is *WHERE* the fat is.

A two hundred pound woman probably doesn't have the same health risks as a skinny guy with a gut, because that kind of fat (inside the body cavity, they call it visceral fat, it is below the muscle, and more males have this kind of fat than females) is MUCH WORSE as far as health risks. That kind of fat (in amongst the organs in the torso) is the LEADING CAUSE of mortality in males. Go read. The chick who posted that at the other message board is right.

Discover Magazine said:
You don't need gene chips to see genetic influence in human body shape: think of Hottentot women with their steatopygous buttocks or "the elderly Indian gentleman with skinny legs and arms and no butt but this gut," as Scherer puts it. Studies show Southeast Asians are particularly prone to visceral obesity, which may help explain why India has such a high rate of type 2 diabetes—more than 12 percent of the population is affected, nearly twice as high as the U.S. incidence. The Indian gentleman also illustrates that not everyone who is generally lean is healthy, and not everyone who is obese is at risk. There ought to be a new definition of obesity, Hamdy proposes, "one based on the location of fat rather than on its volume."

Ah, also, here is the (Hottentot/Khoikhoi) bum they are speaking of. They evolved to have bums like that because of the EXTREME heat where they live. This way, they still have enough fat to safely get pregnant, but it isn't in places that inhibit shedding heat.

Annie, Thank You and I hope that I will stay here for a long time. I am a long time follower of missing person’s cases, and web sleuthing. I look forward to a long and lasting relationship with this group as well hopes that my objective opinion and eye for things can help someone or some case.
Shopper: I can say that yes in this instance I do feel ashamed. Sorry but true, but for more reasons than this. There are many reasons’s these days I do feel ashamed to live in this state. When the people who do represent our state act like this, I do feel ashamed to live here. I at this time to not have a choice so I feel that while I am here that I go have the right to feel ashamed.
Yes, the BMI is outdated. I for one am 5’2” and weight 151, that is considered obese. I for one do not feel obese. Note: Just a few years ago I was the same height and weighed in at 105, to me that is just too skinny. I like my weight now BTW.
Steph in MS

Annie, Thank You and I hope that I will stay here for a long time. I am a long time follower of missing person’s cases, and web sleuthing. I look forward to a long and lasting relationship with this group as well hopes that my objective opinion and eye for things can help someone or some case.
Shopper: I can say that yes in this instance I do feel ashamed. Sorry but true, but for more reasons than this. There are many reasons’s these days I do feel ashamed to live in this state. When the people who do represent our state act like this, I do feel ashamed to live here. I at this time to not have a choice so I feel that while I am here that I go have the right to feel ashamed.
Yes, the BMI is outdated. I for one am 5’2” and weight 151, that is considered obese. I for one do not feel obese. Note: Just a few years ago I was the same height and weighed in at 105, to me that is just too skinny. I like my weight now BTW.
Steph in MS

Then you should be familiar with the campaigns encouraging Mississippians to lose weight and get in shape. These have been in place for quite some time and there is a desire for Mississippian's to not be #1 on this particular list.

I don't think anyone, for one second, thinks this bill will ever come to fruition, nor should it. IMO, it's more of a symbolic gesture to get a message across that Mississippi is taking obesity, and the fight against it, seriously.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stahoe
Back