IMPORTANT - Recalled Pet Food

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I only buy Science Diet for my dogs and indoor cats. And, only the dry. I don't feed wet. They do beg and get our scraps. They are all great plate scrapers. The Science Diet I get at a feed store and not the vet. The vet's prices are much higher than what I pay. I understand that the Science Diet prescriptives are only sold through vets. Our parts manager gets sensitive stomach type that can only be found at the vet. I haven't bought any food or treats at Walmart in quite some time. I think the last thing I bought was a bag of Special Kitty last fall. I get the outdoor cats cheap dry food from Safeway. All seem to be doing ok

I am totally out of the outdoor cat cheap dry food, so today, when I go to Safeway, I'll check out the big packages for wheat gluten.

The only snack I bought my dogs was a box of MilkBones for small dogs. Nothing else in the way of treats. They'd rather have toys that squeek.

BTW, the Walmart where I shop HAS DEFINITELY removed food from its shelves. I wonder if it's just a problem with some stores and not nationwide. I sometimes wonder if Walmart is getting slammed by those Walmart haters. My Safeway and Orscheln Farm and Ranch have also removed products off their shelves.
I love Walmart.......The groceries are a big savings from our other local grocery stores.........I can actually smile when I leave the store :)
However, in Myrtle Beach I did see Ol'Roy on the shelves, everytime I went in........I saw Iams also......and.......I brought the Dingo Sticks which are recalled now for Salmonella. One day during the Ol' Roy recall I took a box of the pouches and just pushed it way out of sight........that should not have been there that day. I didn't see them doing a smashing job with the recall.......things were going back out when all the answers were not in as yet. We all needed answers that were slow in coming
Food was going back on the shelves, with the "plastic substance", as that came about later. The stoppage should have been a bit longer.......animal lovers needed researched facts.
No more pouches for my dogs ever, ever......
I have resumed buying Mighty dog cans select.....I have also given them
Petigree cans......and the Purina beef and cheese ( not all that dry really......moist and meaty so it says) Comes in a box....with servings...no foil package.
No more Dingo sticks........and no more packets of anything.( I was getting the Mighty dog packets)
I am still amazed that they are saying 16 pets. I have seen and heard of more just in the local area I was in when this started.
Petconnection.com has the true numbers...........and its quite sad indeed.:mad: PS......the little pups do love scraps, but then want to sit down and have a feast.....so tried to stick by the few foods they loved.

My dogs eat the Dry Eukanuba Low Residue. Can only buy it at the Vets office. I would hope this one is Ok. I am very curious though. I need to check the list!

Ok... I have four dogs and one cat. One dog is now sick. I've looked over the lists again and again... and find nothing negative reguarding recall about my dog foods or cat foods.

I use Pedigree for dogs. Sometimes Science Diet.

Deli Cat Dry and Friskies wet for my cat.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Anyone? :confused:

(Just called my vet and she says those are ok... but still would like to hear it from you guys...if anyone knows for sure.)

Again, I will repeat this - you need to see if any of the foods that you feed your dogs/cats contain wheat gluten - if so, STOP FEEDING IT. Watch your dog carefully and if other symptoms develop, get him to the vet! Otherwise it should be okay and your dog probably just has a little tummy upset.

.. I'm thinking it is just an upset tummy. I have 4 inside the house dogs, which adds to the problem, of identifying which of the 4 is having the terribly loose stool...

For loose stools or vomiting (per my vet), I give pepto - 2 tablets to the shepherds or 3/4 to my poodle. If I can't figure out which one is "losing it", I give it to all. Usually works within 1 1/2 - 2 hours for me. They usually eat the cherry-flavored on their own.

..Give Pepto Bismol every six to eight hours - a small terrier-sized dog gets one half teaspoonful at a time, a Labrador-sized dog two teaspoonfuls...
http://placervillevet.com/canine gastroenteritis.htm

I think they are the Costco Kirkland brand, but I think they are made by one of the pet food companies for Costco.

Buzz, the box just says Manufactured for Costco and Distributed by Costco. Doesn't say by whom. But, there is no wheat gluten listed in the ingredients.

Hope this helps a bit :)

i was wondering if anyone knows exactly how many pets have been killed from this contamination....? someone told me around a million worldwide-- but that figure seems too outrageous to be true.

Hi Reb, if you go to petconnection they have a number there. I believe it is over a thousand.
We feed our dogs Purina Beneful. That has corn gluten, no wheat.

My husband just realized that he bought a big bag of dog treats from shoprite and threw out the bag. We keep the treats in an air-tight container in the pantry. Anyway he said it was a big bag for $5. It is the shoprite brand which means it is made by wakefern foods. I can't seem to locate it online. Does anyone know if there is wheat gluten in this??

We are a gluten free family and my sister's is gluten free also due to celiac disease so our dogs eat gluten free also. Manufacturer's do not have to list gluten on the product. Trust me I have spent so much time calling manufacturer's over the years over ingredients. It can be disguised with many different terms such as food starch or natural flavors and many others.

The one I know of that is gluten free is nutro lamb and rice dry dog food. Its not expensive either. Gluten free is actually better for dogs systems anyway. My sister's dog has less gas and stomach upset with the gluten free foods.

The dog foods that have been recalled are they pouch and can foods only? I'm confused. My dog was eating Ol Roy kibbles and chunks. My kitty was eating purina kit and kaboodle. My cat has been sleeping more than normal but otherwise I think fine.

that's what i feed my dogs & cat (nutro lamb & rice) and it is incredible! i also buy wellness and innova... which are equally excellent. my dogs are healthy and look great- even my 10-yr old dog and 11-yr old cat are in great shape, (so far, knock on wood).. very alert, and look/act very young. their coats are shiny and dander-free, and i rarely ever need to bathe the dogs- they always smell really clean. i really believe- as with humans and other living things-- their food has everything to do with it. sometimes i mix in some healthy people food but these brands are the backbone of their diet. no digestive problems either. when i used to feed my one dog (when she was an only child) iams dry, she used to scratch & bite herself incessantly and had horrible dander, shedding, etc. i couldn't believe the difference when we switched to nutro (corn-free). they still shed of course but not half as much.

anyone who feeds cheap-o 'bargain' dog food to their pets, that may work well for you now.. but just keep this in mind: it may be cheaper now, but are you prepared to pay more vet bills in the long run? because if they start having poor health issues from lack of good nutrition over the years,, it really won't be saving you money after all. plus think of the suffering your animal may go through as they age, with all those degenerative diseases. of course anything can happen at any time.. but your chances are far greater to have problems if you're feeding them 'bargain' food now. imagine your children surviving on a diet of mcdonald's food (or worse).. the effect it would have on their health down the line.. yuck.

i would really lke to know why and how in the hell wheat products got mixed up with chemicals that were to be used for plastic manufacturing, over there in that chinese factory, in the first place!! then again what do you expect when your food comes from china? like everything else from there, it's crappy quality.

that being said, i sure hope the ingredients in nutro and wellness do not come from china..... sheesh,, i wouldn't think so, but then again, i haven't asked! guess i will do that and report back!

that's what i feed my dogs & cat (nutro lamb & rice) and it is incredible! i also buy wellness and innova... which are equally excellent. my dogs are healthy and look great- even my 10-yr old dog and 11-yr old cat are in great shape, (so far, knock on wood).. very alert, and look/act very young. their coats are shiny and dander-free, and i rarely ever need to bathe the dogs- they always smell really clean. i really believe- as with humans and other living things-- their food has everything to do with it. sometimes i mix in some healthy people food but these brands are the backbone of their diet. no digestive problems either. when i used to feed my one dog (when she was an only child) iams dry, she used to scratch & bite herself incessantly and had horrible dander, shedding, etc. i couldn't believe the difference when we switched to nutro (corn-free). they still shed of course but not half as much.

anyone who feeds cheap-o 'bargain' dog food to their pets, that may work well for you now.. but just keep this in mind: it may be cheaper now, but are you prepared to pay more vet bills in the long run? because if they start having poor health issues from lack of good nutrition over the years,, it really won't be saving you money after all. plus think of the suffering your animal may go through as they age, with all those degenerative diseases. of course anything can happen at any time.. but your chances are far greater to have problems if you're feeding them 'bargain' food now. imagine your children surviving on a diet of mcdonald's food (or worse).. the effect it would have on their health down the line.. yuck.

i would really lke to know why and how in the hell wheat products got mixed up with chemicals that were to be used for plastic manufacturing, over there in that chinese factory, in the first place!! then again what do you expect when your food comes from china? like everything else from there, it's crappy quality.

that being said, i sure hope the ingredients in nutro and wellness do not come from china..... sheesh,, i wouldn't think so, but then again, i haven't asked! guess i will do that and report back!

Reb, I only buy cheap food for the outside cats. I suppliment their diet of field mice as they are barn cats. Hasn't hurt them at all, but it's not the absolutely the cheapest. My indoor cats get only Science Diet Original dry food. The big difference is in the litter box. Much smaller and firm stools. No more loose stools for them. I did replenish the dry food for the outside cats today from Safeway. I bought Meow Mix and read the label. It only contains corn gluten, which was safe per one poster. There was a sign back in the pet food section that listed all the dog and cat foods that had been pulled because of the recalls. A lot of empty space there.

I am also wondering why this wheat glutin was shipped to animal food manufacturers. Nothing wrong with pure wheat glutin, but how the heck did melamine get into it? I did hear a bit about an interview with the company that imported it. He only mentioned about the glutin going to the pet food industry and said that what went for human consumption was safe, but declined to say which companies use wheat glutin for manufacture of human food. That concerned me a great deal. I really want to know what companies got it, regardless.

All 6 of my dogs were on straight Canidae dry, but I am now adding dehydrated raw dog food to their meal.

http://www.thehonestkitchen.com/products/index.shtml

I still give them Canidae dry, but have cut their portion of that in half and will probably drop down to just 1/4 dry and mix it w/ the Embark. I mix the Embark w/ warm water to the consistancy of oatmeal and then mix it w/ the Canidae and sometimes I also add meat. Chicken is their favorite! They also love scrambled eggs!

The ingredients in Embark is USDA turkey, organic flaxseed, potatoes, celery, spinach, carrots, coconut, apples, kelp, eggs, sesame seeds, bananas, cranberries, rosemary, vitamins and minerals.

They all get a baby carrot for desert!

My 2 cats are both on Canidae dry.

i was wondering if anyone knows exactly how many pets have been killed from this contamination....? someone told me around a million worldwide-- but that figure seems too outrageous to be true.

Reb:
I wouldn't be surprised if that's an accurate number or higher.

Our dog was old, blind, and deaf, so when she got sick we just thought it was her age. We tearfully decided to have her put down. As our daughter works for the humane society, she watched her closely and told us it was time. But, we thought it was her age!

We finally put her down on 3/29/2007. The next day they added her food to the list. 3/30/2007, Alpo. We realized afterwards that she'd had all of the symptoms. They haven't counted her as a victim of this disaster. So,..... one million and ONE!

fran

Reb:
I wouldn't be surprised if that's an accurate number or higher.

Our dog was old, blind, and deaf, so when she got sick we just thought it was her age. We tearfully decided to have her put down. As our daughter works for the humane society, she watched her closely and told us it was time. But, we thought it was her age!

We finally put her down on 3/29/2007. The next day they added her food to the list. 3/30/2007, Alpo. We realized afterwards that she'd had all of the symptoms. They haven't counted her as a victim of this disaster. So,..... one million and ONE!

fran​
I am so sorry Fran. After my dog died at home last month, my dh took her to animal hospital to be cremated. They said there had been 4 deaths that day. At the time we thought it was just an odd and sad coincidence. Now, I wonder how many of those deaths were related to this.​

I would like to know why we are getting our wheat from China in the first place :banghead:

is there a list i've missed which mentions Pounce cat treats being recalled:confused:

my two cats have been eating Purina "Naturals" cat chow (dry) for about 6 months now, which has corn gluten, thank goodness!

I would like to know why we are getting our wheat from China in the first place :banghead:

Same reason two of my husband's employers have shut down. Things can be made over seas AND shipped here cheaper then it can be made in the USA. I'm not excusing this, but sadly it's more economic to buy & ship then to use our own. And I would guess (don't KNOW) that surplus in the USA is donated to starving countries so that someone gets a nice tax write off to go with their high profit margins.

is there a list i've missed which mentions Pounce cat treats being recalled:confused:

my two cats have been eating Purina "Naturals" cat chow (dry) for about 6 months now, which has corn gluten, thank goodness!

The recall I saw has been running across the bottom of the screen on CNN for several days.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evremevremm
Back