IMPORTANT - Recalled Pet Food

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Hi Reb, if you go to petconnection they have a number there. I believe it is over a thousand.
We feed our dogs Purina Beneful. That has corn gluten, no wheat.

Yes, that's what we feed our lab, too. He is doing fine. I am so scared by this. I made my husband purchase Purina dog treats this time, too, the Beggin' Strips.
I'm also going to start making him homemade treats. Here's a recipe I got from a dog treats website:

Cut up one beef hot dog into about 50 very thin slices, spread them on a paper towel in one layer, and the nuke them in the microwave for about 45 sec. on MED power, or until they are crisp, like fried bologna gets when you fry it crisp.
I have made these before for Dakota and he just loves them. You store them in a covered container in the fridge for up to one week.

I am so sorry Fran. After my dog died at home last month, my dh took her to animal hospital to be cremated. They said there had been 4 deaths that day. At the time we thought it was just an odd and sad coincidence. Now, I wonder how many of those deaths were related to this.[/LEFT]

Thanks JBean. Sorry about your loss too.

Losing our pets is the same as losing any member of our family. It's hard to get used to her not being here. I'm sure you feel the same way.

fran

PS, like Reb said, I think there's much more than is being reported....fran

Yes, that's what we feed our lab, too. He is doing fine. I am so scared by this. I made my husband purchase Purina dog treats this time, too, the Beggin' Strips.
I'm also going to start making him homemade treats. Here's a recipe I got from a dog treats website:

Cut up one beef hot dog into about 50 very thin slices, spread them on a paper towel in one layer, and the nuke them in the microwave for about 45 sec. on MED power, or until they are crisp, like fried bologna gets when you fry it crisp.
I have made these before for Dakota and he just loves them. You store them in a covered container in the fridge for up to one week.

This is great. I'm going to try this out. We fed our dogs veggies and rice for a while because one had allergies, or so we thought. They loved it. We still give them rice when they have upset tummies.

We've been using Purina One dry food with no problems. They like Beneful too, so sometimes they get that.

I had a bag of the Old Roy brand dog biscuits that are on recall. I had fed maybe 7 of them to my boys, so I just chunked the rest in the trash can and it went to the landfill.. I bought Purina treats today for my boys... who are all four just fine.... what a scare. First time I had bought the Old Roy brand..usually buy Milk Bone but Walmart was out that day.

We went today to pick up our old horse and took our two little Shi Tzu's with us. Stopped at a huge Safeway on the way back and I bought something I've never seen before. Newman's Own Organics Premium Dog Treats. I got the peanut butter flavor. Right on the front it says no wheat, no corn. They're heart shaped. The two little ones loved them. I did notice that the shelves where empty of a lot of food with the same signs that were in my local Safeway. I had no idea that Paul Newman was in the dog food business.

I am concerned about some dog biscuits they sell at Sam's club. A couple of days ago when the report came out adding dog biscuits I told my friends about it. They have a dog who does not eat wet food so they were not concerned about the recalls. However, their dog had not been behaving normally the last few days and had thrown up a few times, so when I told them about the dog biscuits they took it seriously. The biscuits they feed him are from Sam's Club. It is an 8 lb bag of variety biscuits including one that is peanut butter and apparently the same as a biscuit sold at Walmart -- the brand of biscuits that is recalled (Roy's ??). The bag does not mention the recalled brand name, but the fact that the dog has been sick makes it very possible there is a problem with the Sam's Club biscuits (Sam's Cub belonging to Walmart). Anyway, my friends threw out the biscuits and yesterday went to Sam's Club to report their suspicions. However, today, when we stopped at the store, the 8 lb bags of biscuits were still on the shelf. I believe it is irresponsible for Sam's Club to continue to sell the biscuits when a customer has reported the potential problem. At the least they should remove the product and report the claim to whoever is monitoring this tragic situation to see if there is a link with their product.

Does anybody have any idea who to contact to report a suspicion about the Sam's Club biscuits?? I would hate for more dogs to become ill or die.

I am concerned about some dog biscuits they sell at Sam's club. A couple of days ago when the report came out adding dog biscuits I told my friends about it. They have a dog who does not eat wet food so they were not concerned about the recalls. However, their dog had not been behaving normally the last few days and had thrown up a few times, so when I told them about the dog biscuits they took it seriously. The biscuits they feed him are from Sam's Club. It is an 8 lb bag of variety biscuits including one that is peanut butter and apparently the same as a biscuit sold at Walmart -- the brand of biscuits that is recalled (Roy's ??). The bag does not mention the recalled brand name, but the fact that the dog has been sick makes it very possible there is a problem with the Sam's Club biscuits (Sam's Cub belonging to Walmart). Anyway, my friends threw out the biscuits and yesterday went to Sam's Club to report their suspicions. However, today, when we stopped at the store, the 8 lb bags of biscuits were still on the shelf. I believe it is irresponsible for Sam's Club to continue to sell the biscuits when a customer has reported the potential problem. At the least they should remove the product and report the claim to whoever is monitoring this tragic situation to see if there is a link with their product.

Does anybody have any idea who to contact to report a suspicion about the Sam's Club biscuits?? I would hate for more dogs to become ill or die.
This is the link for Sunshine Mills, which makes the biscuits for Walmart. It lists the date codes and plant codes and the bottom of the page.
http://www.sunshinemills.com/press_release.html

I have been feeding my dog Natures Recipe Lamb meal and rice formula dry food, once a day I mix a can of the same brand w/ two cups of dry
http://www.naturesrecipe.com/WellnessCorner/ no problems here..... no wheat gluton, corn gluton. It is a little more expensive than some but his skin and coat is wonderful.

http://www.delmonte.com/petfoodrecall.html

000_0062.jpg

The number I called for Wal-Mart corporate is:
1-800-WAL-MART (1-800-925-6278).

Please let corporate know if there are recalled products on the shelves in your local stores! There are a lot of people who are not keeping up with the recall for one reason or another and will buy the contaminated food. (There is a good-sized fundamentalist population here, not to mention the Mennonites and Amish, who do not have TVs in their homes and rarely read the papers, putting their pets at high risk.)

is there a list i've missed which mentions Pounce cat treats being recalled:confused:

my two cats have been eating Purina "Naturals" cat chow (dry) for about 6 months now, which has corn gluten, thank goodness!

Hi Close!:) Hope the Easter Bunny was good to you!

I hadn't heard anything about the Pounce cat treats either! Pounce recently changed their treats and packaging (it's now a plastic jar). My cat wouldn't eat them. Walmart told me it was the same treat and only the packaging was changed - not so according to Peppurr PLUS they even look different.

We're still using the old ones because I managed to find some in a pet store but we gave the new ones I bought to a friend and their cat is gobbling them up.

I looked at the ingredients for the old ones & there's no wheat gluten in them just wheat flour. Do you have a jar of the new ones handy so you can check the ingredients?

Picture(s) from Petco.com of the Pounce Meaty Morsels treats
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?familyid=15226

Wheat Gluten is listed in the contents.

Thanks Pandora. So they are another cat treat of theirs!

When they changed the other cat treats, I bought Purina Moist LUV Cat treats for replacement. It just occurred to me to go and look at their ingredients. These have wheat gluten!!

My cat has been eating these for a couple of months now and he's ok. Also, it seems companies are taking anything back that has wheat gluten in it as a precaution.....so I don't know what to do!

So wheat flour is okay just not wheat gluten?

I was wondering the same thing... I have Mother Hubbards bone treats and they have wheat flour in them so I'm a little concerned.. However, I did visit Mother Hubbards website and they are not on the recall list..

I'm still feeding my dogs homemade food for the most part.. chicken, eggs, carrots, apples, brown rice and pasta. I do need to cut back on the red meats though, even though my dogs LOVE it, I think it makes them a little sluggish.. maybe the red meats (steaks) are harder to digest. But then again, dogs eat meat.. What on earth did they eat before the pet food industry came into play? and I'm sure the pet food industry isn't feeding our dogs quality foods nor adding quality vitamins..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
extremevertigo
Back