IMPORTANT - Recalled Pet Food

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wheat and corn act as a preservative to give it a longer shelf life. Soy acts as a kind of protein. Honestly if you ask me it shouldnt be in any of them. Corn can kill horses, certainly it cant be good for dogs. You would be paying more for the foods if it didnt contain corn or wheat and they probably feel consumers wouldnt want to do this.
True you'd be paying more for food without corn & wheat. Meat costs more than bread. But, owning such large dogs myself it's more economical in the end to buy foods not have corn as the first ingredient. You don't need to feed the dog as much food. My Danes eat about 6-8 cups of dry kibble each split in 2 feedings. Corn is nothing but a filler, it provides virtually no nutrition for the dogs. It swells up in their stomach to make feel full. And it all comes out in the poop. Feeding my dogs a quality food,(Solid Gold) with no corn or byproducts, honestly has reduced the amount and times my boys have to go poopy. Also I feed them raw foods 3X week. They are very healthy and look good!

True you'd be paying more for food without corn & wheat. Meat costs more than bread. But, owning such large dogs myself it's more economical in the end to buy foods not have corn as the first ingredient. You don't need to feed the dog as much food. My Danes eat about 6-8 cups of dry kibble each split in 2 feedings. Corn is nothing but a filler, it provides virtually no nutrition for the dogs. It swells up in their stomach to make feel full. And it all comes out in the poop. Feeding my dogs a quality food,(Solid Gold) with no corn or byproducts, honestly has reduced the amount and times my boys have to go poopy. Also I feed them raw foods 3X week. They are very healthy and look good!

Thanks I'll check into solid gold for my sister's dog. It has to be gluten free also. My dog years ago was on a very special diet. Prescription through the veterinarian. It stopped all of the intestinal issues and he seemed to have more energy.

Well I just checked them out, they all contain barley which is gluten. thanks anyways :)

I miss my dog. I know, I say this all the time.

Thank you all for taking the time to worry about your pets - I'm sure they feel more loved and spoiled and appreciated more now due to this crisis than they did before - no matter how pampered of a pooch you have!

Is anyone concerned that with the grand numbers of deaths that have happened, that some terrorist is going to say "Hmmm, I think I have an idea..."

This is all so frustrating!!!!

Thank you to those that posted the info on the most recent recalls. I somehow missed those.

I had been feeding my cats Nutro, but stopped as soon as this recall started. I tossed the pouches, since they were part of the first recall. I suppose I should have returned them to the store, but I didn't. Since the cans weren't part of the recall, I kept feeding them that for a week or so, but decided I don't really trust anything with wheat gluten in it, so I stopped feeding the cans. Now I see Nutro is recalling the cans (voluntarily).

I did by can and dry Innova, and they seem to like that. I recently picked up dry and can Blue Spa Select. Neither contain wheat gluten or by-products.

I also feed my cats Hill's T/D mixed with their dry food. The M/D was recalled, but not the T/D. I don't know what to do about this. The vet said it's ok to feed them this, but the way this thing is going, I am not so sure.

Okay, I feed my cat Hill's SD T/D. No wheat gluten. Also, so far so good with the Science Diet for the dogs and Cesar Canine Cuisine (NO wheat gluten).

Funny, though, my one dog had some diarrhea and acting sort of sluggigh yesterday - of course, I am keeping a close eye on him and he seems okay today, but still, I worry like a momma with a newborn baby.

Okay, I feed my cat Hill's SD T/D. No wheat gluten. Also, so far so good with the Science Diet for the dogs and Cesar Canine Cuisine (NO wheat gluten).

Funny, though, my one dog had some diarrhea and acting sort of sluggigh yesterday - of course, I am keeping a close eye on him and he seems okay today, but still, I worry like a momma with a newborn baby.

I think sluggish was the first thing I noticed with my dog. She didn't have a time where she "appeared to be okay" though - it was more of a progressively worse thing, even when she stopped eating the poisoned food. Keep a close watch! I'll be crossing my fingers that your dog just ate some grass when it was outside and that's all the reason it's not feeling well.

Another recall (don't think it's related)

The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) was informed today, April 16, 2007, that Natural Balance Pet Foods has received consumer complaints regarding the Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Foods...animals vomiting and experiencing kidney problems...
http://www.fda.gov:80/opacom/7alerts.html

Doggie Terrorists are at work here.

(And no, I'm not making light. Something big is underneath this, it's not an accident, I don't think.) I hope the makers of human food are waking up and taking notice at how easy this was. Certainly others are noticing...

The U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) was informed today, April 16, 2007, that Natural Balance Pet Foods has received consumer complaints regarding the Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food, and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Foods...animals vomiting and experiencing kidney problems...

Yep, I just came to report this.
I JUST switched my cat to this food...not this particular formula, but to Natural Balance.
UGH!

Sigh. I just switched to this too! I actually remember being in the pet store and thinking "Oh, this is supposed to be such a healthy food! It won't get recalled! I should be safe with this!"

The frustrating part is I don't trust that more names won't show up on the list of this new recall, it just seems that's the way things have been working lately.

It's spreading to dry dog food now. I'm just about ready to switching mine over to an all raw diet although the kibble they get now should remain safe.
I guess we all are realizing how we've been lied to about how "healthy" and "nutritious" pet foods are, and the expensive food really isn't better than the cheaper no name brands. They're all pretty much made of crap. :furious:

I'm PO'd too :mad: It still bothers me. I'm afraid now to feed them any store bought food. I threw out all my dog food except for my dry Dick van Patten... Still, I'm even worried about that one... I checked their website and they said that they are not part of the recall so hopefully my babies are fine... However, they are still a little hesitant to eat their food and it maybe because of the memory of when they were sick. I used the dry food mixed with the pouches so maybe they think the dry food is was causing them to be sick... Yup, I'm upset over this...

our family pet is 17 - about 6 months ago, she started refusing to eat her dog food (don't even recall the brand) - switched to the "gravy" chunks and slices - she would eat one flavor for a few days, then refuse; we would go to the other flavor for a few days - got to where she would only eat IF we hand fed her, and then she seemed reluctant.....she had a kidney infection and two other "episodes" that the vet could not definitely diagnose as heart attack, stroke or possible seizure - she continued to be lathargic, consume large quantities of water and for the first time, had accidents in the house, including bowels, kidneys and vomiting...... \also, she is a med size dog and often her abdomen would be extended and hard.

we were so sad ( now angry! ) thinking that all of these problems were "old age" .....even our vet thought so. we are now convinced that we were inadvertendly feeding her the poisoned food - even when the list came out, like others, i purchased two different brands that were announced "ok", only to have our pet refuse to eat after one serving and later to learn they too were tainted.

now, we feed her table scraps; i buy large bags of chicken thighs/leg and boil for her ( meat off bone of course ), chicken livers, cheap hot dogs ....finding that if i go to aldi's, savealot and walmart, except for the inconvenince of "cooking", the cost of the food is about the same.

my best to all of you and i agree that the illness and death of our beloved pets is much greater than being reported.....however, one news report in our city said that to be included in the statistics, a pet had to have had a positive toxin report.......how many of us can afford that?

......an even greater concern is that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that this "tainted" problem is the result of importing the gluten in order to save money........i did not realize until recently that imported items, food or otherwise, do not have to met usa standards -- while i do not want to lose my pet, i wonder about the food for human comsumption, especially babies, who like our pets cannot talk to us.

(re: items not meeting usa standards - an expensive leather rocker, recliner that we purchased just over two years ago broke recently - one of two springs (a large, heavy spring) broke in two places - when the furniture repair man arrived, he explained that we should get two springs because since the chair was imported scandanavian leather, the steel did not have to have a certain ratio that would make it strong - he showed me tiny air bubbles that he says would not be allowed to be in usa steel, regardless of its use.......i have never been one to be opposed to a global economy, but now i wonder exactly what will be our cost?

It's spreading to dry dog food now. I'm just about ready to switching mine over to an all raw diet although the kibble they get now should remain safe.
I guess we all are realizing how we've been lied to about how "healthy" and "nutritious" pet foods are, and the expensive food really isn't better than the cheaper no name brands. They're all pretty much made of crap. :furious:

Sadie,

I haven't the confidence that any pet food is "safe"

some dry foods have been announced tainted.

here are some sites for you - at least you can try to keep up to date:

Today:
http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2007Apr16/0,4670,PetFoodRecall,00.html
WASHINGTON — Natural Balance Pet Foods recalled two kinds of pet food after receiving reports of animals vomiting and experiencing kidney problems, the Food and Drug Administration said Monday.
The recall includes all date codes of Venison & Brown Rice Dry Dog Food and Venison & Green Pea Dry Cat Food. The company does not know the cause of the problem, but said it is focused on one particular lot.......cont.

this is a link to the fda web site regarding *all* pet food recalls. However, my opinion is that none are safe, because the list continues to grow AFTER companies have assured us theirs was not tainted.
http://google2.fda.gov/search?outpu...FDA&site=FDA&getfields=*&q=pet+food&as=Search

Oh I so agree Sadie... when I first got my puppies I wanted to feed them the healtiest food I could find.. I took the time to search the net, ask questions to find the best dog food there was and I didn't mind paying the price either.. boy, this whole thing has opened my eyes. Hubby think the dogs eat better than he does now.. hehe I cook for them and they seem fine... We do have some dry food that wasn't on the recall list, but who knows.. it could be...

I already buy chicken, turkey, veal, organ meat, and meaty bones from a local meat market in bulk. I don't cook any of it, and feed it raw to them. It retains nutrients, and is good for the teeth and digestive system. My dogs have never had to have their teeth scaled/cleaned by a vet. I have increased their raw food over the dry kibble.
It's quite outrageous the list keeps growing!!!!

Well, here I am again. Thinking that I've switched my cats to something safe and now I get this info about Natural Balance! I'm not sure what is going on, but I think it's something weird to say the least. Maybe it's a conspiracy to get people to go back to the Menu foods products or something. I don't know, but I'm beginning to think that guess is as good as any.

I already buy chicken, turkey, veal, organ meat, and meaty bones from a local meat market in bulk. I don't cook any of it, and feed it raw to them. It retains nutrients, and is good for the teeth and digestive system. My dogs have never had to have their teeth scaled/cleaned by a vet. I have increased their raw food over the dry kibble.
It's quite outrageous the list keeps growing!!!!

hehe, dogs I'm sure use to eat this stuff before the "pet food" industry came into play. Then when they did, we were being told to only feed them their food.. :doh: I'm afraid not to cook mine.. maybe I need to have a different mind set..

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hitchcock3000
Back