IMPORTANT - Recalled Pet Food

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
RAW food? Isn't that NOT GOOD? Wouldn't they be susceptible to the same things we humans are from raw foods - i.e., Salmonella, E. coli and what not?

At this point, anything without poison in it is preferable. :mad:
(The mad face is at the situation, not any poster!)

I miss my dog. I'd have fed him rat droppings, raw lizards and popsicles if I thought it would have kept him alive through this.

Remember when buying pet food was as easy as comparing whether the 20 pound size was a dollar more or less than the "other brand" next to it? Those were the days. *wah*

I've been feeding my two cats Friskie's dry food and Friskie's wet food also. I've been feeding the puppy Pedigree. So far I haven't seen these on the recall list. I'll have to check the treats I bought for the puppy.

If anyone has seen these (as I might have overlooked them) please post it. I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to my babies and it was my fault.

I've been feeding my two cats Friskie's dry food and Friskie's wet food also. I've been feeding the puppy Pedigree. So far I haven't seen these on the recall list. I'll have to check the treats I bought for the puppy.

If anyone has seen these (as I might have overlooked them) please post it. I couldn't live with myself if anything happened to my babies and it was my fault.

AGAIN, JUST CHECK THE INGREDIENTS FOR WHEAT GLUTEN!

I'm beginning to think this might be a Chinese plot - even Al Quaida - to kill all our pets -----:confused:

AGAIN, JUST CHECK THE INGREDIENTS FOR WHEAT GLUTEN!

I'm beginning to think this might be a Chinese plot - even Al Quaida - to kill all our pets -----:confused:

I said the same thing...it sure is terrorism to me.

The addition of melamine raises the measured level of protein in wheat gluten. Now they are suspecting that melamine was added to increase the price of the wheat gluten. I'm hoping they are able to figure out when and where this happened.

I bought a Costco box of dog biscuits (very large), and dumped them into a five gallon bucket, that has a tight lid, and threw away the box. I don't know who makes the dog biscuits for Costco??

Ok... I have four dogs and one cat. One dog is now sick. I've looked over the lists again and again... and find nothing negative reguarding recall about my dog foods or cat foods.

I use Pedigree for dogs. Sometimes Science Diet.

Deli Cat Dry and Friskies wet for my cat.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Anyone? :confused:

(Just called my vet and she says those are ok... but still would like to hear it from you guys...if anyone knows for sure.)

I told my husband the same thing...

He said I that I was Websleuthing too much... :eek:

Hey, the government said they could do something to the water and food supply, they didn't say it wouldn't be our pets food. It's common knowledge that we love our pets here. Sure, it's a little far-fetched, but still...you never know.

Ok... I have four dogs and one cat. One dog is now sick. I've looked over the lists again and again... and find nothing negative reguarding recall about my dog foods or cat foods.

I use Pedigree for dogs. Sometimes Science Diet.

Deli Cat Dry and Friskies wet for my cat.

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Anyone? :confused:

If you can afford it, take the dog to the vet. If you can't - I don't know. It maybe your dog ate some road kill and it's not related, but when my dog got sick from this poison here is what I saw:

She was lethargic. She didn't want to eat. She didn't want to drink much - she did if I brought it to her, but she didn't go seek it because she was laying down alot. She looked like heck.

If your dog is hydrated, but still eating stuff you offer, it's probably just an upset tummy.

If your dog is acting like my dog did - it didn't take long before she was dead. A vet would be expensive, but it might save them from this. (Mine died before the recall information was out.)

My advice is to feed the sick dog something different. Perhaps just whatever is in your freezer that you aren't going to eat. (Usually for me, it's something I froze with the good intention of eating again later - leftovers!) Dogs love a good meal of refrigerator and freezer cleaning!

If it eats, great! If it doesn't eat the juicy gross stuff from your freezer, it's probably going to get sicker.

And for those who think it's horrible to feed your dog freezer burnt things and old food from the refrigerator, might I remind you that dogs dig out "scooby snacks" from the middle of the catbox as if it were godiva chocolates!

Other than that, I will pray for your sick doggie. I hope he just ate some road kill and the worst that will happen is he will vomit up something foul and be alright again.

The addition of melamine raises the measured level of protein in wheat gluten. Now they are suspecting that melamine was added to increase the price of the wheat gluten. I'm hoping they are able to figure out when and where this happened.

I bought a Costco box of dog biscuits (very large), and dumped them into a five gallon bucket, that has a tight lid, and threw away the box. I don't know who makes the dog biscuits for Costco??

I can't find the manufacturer online or at Costco's website. I have a box of the Blue Dog Bakery biscuits from Costco and they aren't on the recall.

I'll see if I can run by at lunch and see. There's one across the street from me.

I can't find the manufacturer online or at Costco's website. I have a box of the Blue Dog Bakery biscuits from Costco and they aren't on the recall.

I'll see if I can run by at lunch and see. There's one across the street from me.
I think they are the Costco Kirkland brand, but I think they are made by one of the pet food companies for Costco.

And for those who think it's horrible to feed your dog freezer burnt things and old food from the refrigerator, might I remind you that dogs dig out "scooby snacks" from the middle of the catbox as if it were godiva chocolates!

Thank you so much for saying that. This is the first time I've ever had a dog and my niece "babysat" for him last night. I was horrified when she told me that he had gotten into the cats' litterbox and found a "goodie" (Yuk!). He did the same thing this morning. At least I know now he's not some weirdo dog.

Still sickening though. :sick:

If you can afford it, take the dog to the vet. If you can't - I don't know. It maybe your dog ate some road kill and it's not related, but when my dog got sick from this poison here is what I saw:

She was lethargic. She didn't want to eat. She didn't want to drink much - she did if I brought it to her, but she didn't go seek it because she was laying down alot. She looked like heck.

If your dog is hydrated, but still eating stuff you offer, it's probably just an upset tummy.

If your dog is acting like my dog did - it didn't take long before she was dead. A vet would be expensive, but it might save them from this. (Mine died before the recall information was out.)

My advice is to feed the sick dog something different. Perhaps just whatever is in your freezer that you aren't going to eat. (Usually for me, it's something I froze with the good intention of eating again later - leftovers!) Dogs love a good meal of refrigerator and freezer cleaning!

If it eats, great! If it doesn't eat the juicy gross stuff from your freezer, it's probably going to get sicker.

Other than that, I will pray for your sick doggie. I hope he just ate some road kill and the worst that will happen is he will vomit up something foul and be alright again.

Thank You, Glitz for your reply and for your prayers. I'm thinking it is just an upset tummy. I have 4 inside the house dogs, which adds to the problem, of identifying which of the 4 is having the terribly loose stool. None have had the opportunity to eat any roadkill or outdoor varmets.. They barely stay outside long enough to let their feet touch the grass...
I have called my vet, explaining the problem. I have IAMS wet rice/bland canned food on hand but think it IS ON THE RECALL list...
IAMS Bland rice canned mixture is what I normally feed them when they have an upset tummy, but not going there this time...

None are lethargic (Heck they all sleep 3/4's of the day anyway...They live like Queens!) and all seem to be drinking enough water as well...

I'll cook up some rice and broth and feed it to the one doing the 'nasty' if I can figure out which one of them it is... I thought a close-up exam of their backsides would oust the sick one but so far no help...

Thank you G, for your help! :o

:eek: :eek: :eek: I do not reccomend feeding dogs or cats anything that isnt spacifacally made for them (homemade) with the proper nutrients and vitamins added..it cost me a LOT of $$$ for the vet after giving my dog leftovers.. he got Pancreatitis from eating them..

RAW food? Isn't that NOT GOOD? Wouldn't they be susceptible to the same things we humans are from raw foods - i.e., Salmonella, E. coli and what not?
No. Eating raw doesn't affect dogs like humans. There are lots of links to feeding raw on the net with feeding guides. Cooking takes out a lot of nutrients. It's actually better than commercial canned foods, no preservatives, fillers and such. I'll see if I can find links for you. Some people feed their dogs ONLY raw foods. It keeps their teeth clean, WAY less poop, excellent for skin & coats, and you don't have to feed as much to get nutrition out of the food. Will be back with links for anyone interested in learning about this.

ETA: Here is one that answers some questions..
http://www.rawlearning.com/rawfaq.html

All of Science Diet is okay for dogs; all is okay for cats except for the Hill's Science Diet Prescriton W/D or M/D - can't recall which one it is - it's the only one that has the wheat gluten in it.

I only buy Science Diet for my dogs and indoor cats. And, only the dry. I don't feed wet. They do beg and get our scraps. They are all great plate scrapers. The Science Diet I get at a feed store and not the vet. The vet's prices are much higher than what I pay. I understand that the Science Diet prescriptives are only sold through vets. Our parts manager gets sensitive stomach type that can only be found at the vet. I haven't bought any food or treats at Walmart in quite some time. I think the last thing I bought was a bag of Special Kitty last fall. I get the outdoor cats cheap dry food from Safeway. All seem to be doing ok

I am totally out of the outdoor cat cheap dry food, so today, when I go to Safeway, I'll check out the big packages for wheat gluten.

The only snack I bought my dogs was a box of MilkBones for small dogs. Nothing else in the way of treats. They'd rather have toys that squeek.

BTW, the Walmart where I shop HAS DEFINITELY removed food from its shelves. I wonder if it's just a problem with some stores and not nationwide. I sometimes wonder if Walmart is getting slammed by those Walmart haters. My Safeway and Orscheln Farm and Ranch have also removed products off their shelves.

My Lab eats Pedigree and has for years. I noticed on their website that there is wheat gluten in some of their dry food, but their web site says that it is safe.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nithila
Back