IMPORTANT - Recalled Pet Food

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I certainly am!!! Everyday there is something new. Our precious pets, our precious children & our entire adult famlies & neighbours. This is not the American dream

Count me in as another person that is extremely concerned where our food and our pets foods are coming from. The real problem with the pet food companies is that they hide the manufacturer. For instance, I switched to Natural Balance after the recall because they assured consumers that no foods were made at Menu Foods and that they didn't use the imported wheat gluten. They are made right here in the USA. OK, fine. But, the foods are not made by by Natural Balance, they are made by another manufacturer. And fine, there is no BAD imported wheat gluten, BUT there is rice protein that is imported from where?????? CHINA! Now they are recalling 4 other types of Natural Balance that don't list rice protein as an ingredient because they are saying that the manufacturer added the rice protein against the knowledge of NAtural Balance! What are we as consumers supposed to do? We can't even do the research on the foods because the recipes, suppliers and manufacturers are kept secret!!

“The FDA will begin testing a variety of protein ingredients in finished products commonly found in the U.S. food and feed supply for the presence of melamine,” Sundlof said. The agency will focus on newly imported products as well as products already in the country, he added.

Products to be tested include wheat gluten, rice protein concentrate, corn gluten, corn meal, soy protein and rice bran, Sundlof said. Other products may be added to the list later.

These ingredients are used widely in human foods, Dr. David Acheson, FDA’s chief medical officer at the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, told reporters. “Things like breads, pastas, cereals, pizza dough, energy bars and protein shakes,” he added.,,
http://feeds.feedburner.com/dogster/recall_news

This is only the tip of the iceberg...

“The FDA will begin testing a variety of protein ingredients in finished products commonly found in the U.S. food and feed supply for the presence of melamine,” Sundlof said. The agency will focus on newly imported products as well as products already in the country, he added.

Products to be tested include wheat gluten, rice protein concentrate, corn gluten, corn meal, soy protein and rice bran, Sundlof said. Other products may be added to the list later.

These ingredients are used widely in human foods, Dr. David Acheson, FDA’s chief medical officer at the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, told reporters. “Things like breads, pastas, cereals, pizza dough, energy bars andprotein shakes,” he added.,,

I agree 100%!!

i think i, too, will be doing some of my own planting this year.....now if i could only figure out where to get steak seeds.....

Here's another good link. I don't know if it has been previously posted or not.

Anyway, I use Hill's and I did read last night somewhere (can't find it again), that all of the ingredients they put into Hill's products are made in the U.S.A., none comes from a foreign country.

I know a few of Hill's cat foods that contained wheat glutin were recalled, but I believe that was a voluntary recall and nothing was found.

I wish I could find the darn article I read. Anyway, I use Hill's, have always used Hill's, but still continue to freak every time one of my dogs even acts a little out of sorts -

http://www.petfoodreport.com/

These ingredients are used widely in human foods, Dr. David Acheson, FDA’s chief medical officer at the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition, told reporters. “Things like breads, pastas, cereals, pizza dough, energy bars and protein shakes,” he added.,,

Okay, and for my next comment - I am concerned about the ingredients used in human foods. My paranoid, but rational mind, makes me wonder if toxic ingredients in the dog foods, also weren't meant for and put in human foods, and it's in our foods right now. Dogs and cats are much smaller and their digestive systems are much more sensitive than ours, so I would think they would react to something like this much quicker than we humans..... Are we, too, slowly being "poisoned" and will we start seeing human deaths from these "added ingredients???"

Okay, it's me, again, one more time, then I promise I'll go away, lol.

Interesting reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine

By the way, if you haven't been introduced to Wikipedia, check it out. It is the greatest online encyclopedia - you can look up virtually anything!

The following information is not new, but rather an opportunity to summarize the information we have reported to date. By providing this summation, we seek to reach those of you who may have missed an article and/or wish to see all the recalls in one reporting.

Apr 29, 2007
Pet Food Recall Summary Update 34: The pet food recall that has plagued [COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Dog [/FONT][COLOR=blue! important][FONT=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]food[/FONT][/COLOR][/FONT][/COLOR][/COLOR], cat food and small animal pet food - has entered the human food supply. (see below)

http://www.postchronicle.com/news/original/article_21277642.shtml

Dog Food Recalls
ALPO
Americas Choice, Preferred Pet
Authority
Award
Best Choice
Big Bet
Big Red
Bloom
Bruiser
Cadillac
Champion Breed Lg Biscuit
Champion Breed Peanut Butter Biscuits
Companion
Companion's Best Multi-Flavor Biscuit
Companion/Giant Companion
Companion/Giant Companion/Tops Companion
Companion/Tops Companion
Demoulas Market Basket
Dollar General
Eukanuba Dog Bites in Gravy
Eukanuba Dog Chunks in Gravy
Food Lion
Giant Companion
Giant Companion/Tops Companion
Gravy Train
Grreat Choice
Hannaford
Happy Tails
Hill Country Fare
Hy-Vee
Iams Dog Chunks
Iams Dog Select Bites
Iams Dog Small Bites
Jerky Treats
Laura Lynn
Loving Meals
Meijer's Main Choice
Mighty Dog
Mixables
Natural Balance (RICE)
Natural Life
Natural Way
Nutriplan
Nutro
Nutro - Ultra
Nutro Max
Nutro Natural Choice
Nuture
Ol' Roy
Ol' Roy 4-Flavor Lg Biscuits
Ol' Roy Canada
Ol' Roy Peanut Butter Biscuits
Ol' Roy Puppy
Ol'Roy US
Paws
Perfect Pals Large Biscuits
Pet Essentials
Pet Life
Pet Pride / Good n Meaty
Presidents Choice
Price Chopper
Priority Canada
Priority US
Publix
Roche Brothers
Save-A-Lot Choice Morsels
Schnuck's
Shep Dog
Springfield Prize
Sprout
Stater Brothers
Stater Brothers Large Biscuits
Stop & Shop Companion
Stop & Shop Companion/Giant Companion
Tops Companion
Weis Total Pet
Western Family US
White Rose
Winn Dixie
Your Pet

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- April 27, 2007 -- Blue Buffalo Company, Ltd, Wilton, CT, is initiating a nationwide recall of all canned dog foods sold under its "Blue" dog food brand, all canned cat food sold under its "Blue Spa Select" cat food brand, and all dog treats sold under its "Blue" dog food brand...

...It should be noted the "Blue" canned dog and cat food products were not formulated or labeled to contain rice protein concentrate, and that the manufacturer, American Nutrition, Inc. added the rice protein concentrate to these products without Blue Buffalo Company's knowledge or consent. For this reason, Blue Buffalo Company is concerned that it can not have any faith in the integrity, or the accuracy of the ingredient labels of any of its products manufactured by American Nutrition. Therefore Blue Buffalo is withdrawing all products manufactured by American Nutrition, including products that American Nutrition claims do not contain rice protein. The FDA investigation into the inclusion of the rice protein by American Nutrition in Blue Buffalo's products is ongoing...

http://www.fda.gov/opacom/7alerts.html

Other links of linterest: FDA's Center for Veterinary Medicine
http://www.fda.gov/oc/opacom/hottopics/petfood.html
http://www.fda.gov/opacom/backgrounders/complain.html

cathieq...

Thanks for posting the info about Blue Spa. I returned my Nutro, and bought Blue Spa for my cats. I am now on the way to PetSmart to return the cans. Somehow, I missed this info.

I really appreciate you (and everyone else) for taking the time to post this info.

This is really out of hand. And you just have to think that this is in our food supply. It makes me sick.

Like everyone else I'm so paranoid about this. Not so much for my cats because so far Friskies hasn't been recalled. I have a new pup and have been trying different foods for him (checking the recall list each time). He's been eating Pedigree in the can and seemed to like it okay but lately he doesn't want to eat it. Then my sister said she fed her dog Mighty Dog and I tried that. He's been sick for about two days now. He threw up twice and he's had diahrrea (sp). Yesterday his stools were firmer but he threw up again this morning (watery, foamy stuff) and when you're near him you can hear his tummy gurgling. He plays and acts like he feels okay. He loves the little goldfish crackers and this morning he wouldn't eat any. I'm calling the vet today.
Sorry, I've never had a dog before and I'm so worried I'm going to do something wrong with this one. I thought I'd get some advice here since you guys seem to really know what you're doing.

Here is what I've been feeding my dogs of late.. They seem ok with this. I also make them homemade meals as well. When I feed them I hardly use dog food but my husband does. He doesn't want to be cooking for the dogs :loser: ... hehe But when I feed them I cook for them.. ok, we need a winner icon...

http://www.naturesrecipe.com/dogproducts.aspx

:bang:
Here is what I've been feeding my dogs of late.. They seem ok with this. I also make them homemade meals as well. When I feed them I hardly use dog food but my husband does. He doesn't want to be cooking for the dogs :loser: ... hehe But when I feed them I cook for them.. ok, we need a winner icon...

http://www.naturesrecipe.com/dogproducts.aspx
I also feed my baby this great food....
Nature's Recipe products not part of recent nationwide pet food recall.

We would like you to know that Nature's Recipe products for dogs and cats are not part of the recent nationwide pet food recall. In addition, Nature's Recipe products do not contain Wheat Gluten, Rice Gluten or Rice Protein Concentrate. There is no melamine in our wet or dry products.
Unlike many other premium pet foods, Nature's Recipe® pet foods have only highly digestible ingredients — never beef or wheat. Plus the right combination of vitamins, minerals and essential nutrients.
The safety and nutritional quality of our pet products is our top priority. All of our Nature's Recipe products remain safe and nutritious. And as pet parents, you should continue to feel confident feeding our Nature's Recipe products to your pets.
Choose Nature's Recipe® pet food.
All of the good. None of the bad.™

Since I keep getting burned, I'm sticking with Merrick and the others that manufacture their own food. Lately, I've been trying Canidae for Josie and Felidae for the cats. The dog will eat anything, but the cats really seem to enjoy it.

http://www.canidae.com/

Also, keep up on the latest at:

http://www.thepetfoodlist.com/

:bang:
I also feed my baby this great food....
Nature's Recipe products not part of recent nationwide pet food recall.

We would like you to know that Nature's Recipe products for dogs and cats are not part of the recent nationwide pet food recall. In addition, Nature's Recipe products do not contain Wheat Gluten, Rice Gluten or Rice Protein Concentrate. There is no melamine in our wet or dry products.
Unlike many other premium pet foods, Nature's Recipe® pet foods have only highly digestible ingredients — never beef or wheat. Plus the right combination of vitamins, minerals and essential nutrients.
The safety and nutritional quality of our pet products is our top priority. All of our Nature's Recipe products remain safe and nutritious. And as pet parents, you should continue to feel confident feeding our Nature's Recipe products to your pets.
Choose Nature's Recipe® pet food.
All of the good. None of the bad.™

I started feeding my cats Blue Spa because it didn't contain any of those ingredients (that are being recalled). However, they ended up doing a recall once they found out that their manufacturer was adding one of these ingredients without their knowledge.

I don't know how a manufacturer can get away with adding ingredients that aren't going to be listed on the label, or that the company that contracted with them didn't ask for this to be in their products.

At this point, I don't trust anyone. I was stunned when I heard about the Blue Spa recall. I wonder how many other companies don't realize that their products contain the contaminated ingredients?

Not that Nature's Recipe has a problem...I just wanted to mention Blue Spa and what's going on with them. I wonder how many other companies have this product in their cat/dog foods and don't even know it. If the manufacturing company who makes Blue Spa was adding this to Blue Spa's food (without their knowledge), I'd bet there are others out there.

Since I keep getting burned, I'm sticking with Merrick and the others that manufacture their own food.

I think that's the key. Like I posted about Blue Spa...they had no idea this stuff was even being put in their products.

I think that's the key. Like I posted about Blue Spa...they had no idea this stuff was even being put in their products.

Yep...that's the same thing that happened with the Natural Balance I was feeding my kidlets. They had no idea the manufacturer was adding the ingredient to the food.

Such a shame. Especially now, considering all that pet owners are going through.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
59lilBERNICE
Back