IN - Abby & Libby - The Delphi Murders - Richard Allen Arrested - #172

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally believe they went in to chambers expecting to do exactly what was done. They knew she was leaning toward DQ, they request a “huddle”, are given the floor, invoke the word “ambush” immediately, then pretend to withdraw.

Not the first time this team has been less than truthful, regardless of their intent.”

There is no factual basis or source for these allegations when you read the material in front of you.

So, is it your understanding that Rozzi never stated his intention to withdraw?

Do you believe that he had no idea that DQ was a distinct possibility given the exchanges via email,etc?

Bbm
I beg to differ.
Also to help you find the source of BR’s oral withdrawal it said twice in page 20 of the transcript. Line 5 and line 7 and then the 3rd time by BR on Page 21 line 14.
MR. ROZZI: Our client is a big part of this, the biggest part of this, and he has communicated to us that he does not want us to withdraw from this case. He wants us to continue with his representation. He understands, I think, that he's not the gatekeeper or he doesn't have the authority to really force the Court to do that. He would like to say that on the record. We asked him if that's what he wanted to do. We suggested maybe he would do it in chambers. It seems a little bit of a difficult position to put a man who's accused but not been found guilty, put him in a courtroom and have him, you know, have to speak in this circumstance with 15 minutes notice. Andy and I - I'm gonna speak for myself, I'll let him speak for himself. I'm gonna file a motion to withdraw. I don't want to do it, but I don't think that I have a choice at this point. The options I've been given without any notice by the Court really are either I withdraw or I'm gonna be publicly shamed and that's the way I see this. And I think that public shaming is not only - there's not only a professional element to that, I think there's a personal aspect to that, too. But when the media is teed up like this and, you know, we show up here today with the Court having told us that we were gonna conduct some business, that that somehow bleeds over into a forced resignation or whatever you want to - however you characterize this, that, you know, I don't feel like I have any other choice professionally. I have a life beyond this courtroom and beyond this case and I have a family, too, and I have a law practice. But I think had been - we been given some notice of what we were actually - if this would have been framed in a pleading format or some formal disciplinary claim, which there's a process for that in our business, then we could have come in here today with an opportunity to refute some of those things that you clearly had, you know, thought through and prepared before we got here. And we didn't have that opportunity and it's - the idea that I'm gonna have to go in here in an open courtroom and, essentially, defend myself against claims that I don't agree with without any notice and without any opportunity I think is unfair. But I'm also - I also have some common sense and, you know, me going in there and standing my ground because my client wants me to is just gonna make things worse for him, and so I'm gonna withdraw my appearance. I'm gonna walk out of here, I'm gonna go down to my car, I'm gonna call my staff, and have them prepare a motion, and I'm gonna withdraw my appearance, but I'm doing it because I don't think I have any other choice professionally, not because I want to, and not because my client wants me to. And I respect the Court has an opinion, but we're professionals and we can disagree -

THE COURT: Of course.

MR. ROZZI: - and, you know, I am extremely, you know, I'd say frustrated's probably a soft word, with the idea that we showed up today without any real opportunity to prepare for any of this, and I just think it's improper, and that's where I am and that's my position.

THE COURT: Well, I think we talked about, when you asked for a disqualification, and I indicated on our phone conversation I'm inclined to do that.

MR. ROZZI: It was a phone conversation that was not on the record and then some follow-up e-mails.

THE COURT: True.

MR. ROZZI: There's an informality to that.

THE COURT: True.

MR. ROZZI: And you also said that you hadn't even done any research and you hadn't, you know, had time to talk to your senior Judge and all these other things. And he hasn't filed a pleading with the Court, either.

THE COURT: No, I'm doing this on my motion.

MR. ROZZI: And I'm a lawyer who practices in lots of courtroomsand I've been through some disqualification actions. I've - in 20 years, I've never had a disciplinary complaint in my life that's been confirmed, if you will. But I've seen lawyers disqualified and there is a process for that and it's not this, with all due respect, where you walk into somebody's office, a judge's office, and they read a prepared statement to you and, essentially, that statement is an indictment on my professional, you know, activities, and then you're handed a.-you know, essentially, a sheet of paper with two - you know, with two options and one of them is, is "I'm gonna go out here and shame you or you can quit." I just - you can understand how upset that would make any lawyer, and I just think it's - I don't think it's the right way to handle this from a due process standpoint. So I have no choice but to, you know, withdraw my appearance, ‘cause I'm not gonna go in there and take a public shaming without having any notice of it, I just - you know, that's where I am with it.

^bbm

EDIT: Spelling

Source p. 18-21 of transcript, 20-23 of doc (also attached below):

Attachments

• IMG_3334.jpeg
    IMG_3334.jpeg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3335.jpeg
    IMG_3335.jpeg
    149.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3336.jpeg
    IMG_3336.jpeg
    124.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3337.jpeg
    IMG_3337.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
But I'm also - I also have some common sense and, you know, me going in there and standing my ground because my client wants me to is just gonna make things worse for him, and so I'm gonna withdraw my appearance. I'm gonna walk out of here, I'm gonna go down to my car, I'm gonna call my staff, and have them prepare a motion, and I'm gonna withdraw my appearance, but I'm doing it because I don't think I have any other choice professionally, not because I want to, and not because my client wants me to.
I just - you can understand how upset that would make any lawyer, and I just think it's - I don't think it's the right way to handle this from a due process standpoint. So I have no choice but to, you know, withdraw my appearance,

RSBM/BBM
<modsnip: snarky>
BR stated 3 times he would withdraw in chambers.

Last edited by a moderator:
To be clear: by all accounts, Judge Gull is well respected. I have no negative feelings about her personally! I simply wish she had (a) not manipulated the record and/or not instructed the clerk to bungle the CCS; and (b) followed the proper procedures for sanctions against the defense attorneys so as not to deprive the defendant of his Sixth Amendment right. We all make mistakes at work sometimes and unfortunately, in my opinion, these were two major mistakes.

As an aside — and maybe this is just me — I have somewhat higher expectations for a judge than for defense attorneys.

It is unclear to me how this is relevant to anything at all. Do you think it works like Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy? I am not an attorney but my understanding is that it doesn’t quite work that way. I don’t see anything unusual or untoward about Rozzi stating an intention at one point in time to take a future action, then changing his mind later. JMO

It is unclear to me how this is relevant to anything at all. Do you think it works like Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy?
No I think it should have been followed with him submitting the legal motion to withdraw. I don’t think a respectable attorney should state his intentions one way in chambers on record then do something entirely different than expressed. That’s snookering to me.
<modsnip: rude>
The next step of the withdrawal process was to be done by the attorney that said he would do it. Unlike Michael Scott, I would hope he would know how to do so.
But then again. This defense couldn’t figure out how to file things confidentially or the process of returning discovery to the state so…perhaps not.

That could be true, but why not let those that want to discuss the EX-D have a space to do that?

Less confusion, less repetitive conversations, less.....talk about people that as of now, withdrew from the case.

JMO
As far as I’m concerned, I’m no longer referring to them as xD. They withdrew under duress, threatened to be publicly shamed in a courtroom, forced to do something against their better judgement, based solely on JG’s opinion and without due process. Just because Gull is a judge, does not mean she did the right thing. B & R are the D until the law says they are not. This is not done and therefore should continue to be part of this discussion. JMO.

To be clear: by all accounts, Judge Gull is well respected. I have no negative feelings about her personally! I simply wish she had (a) not manipulated the record and/or not instructed the clerk to bungle the CCS; and (b) followed the proper procedures for sanctions against the defense attorneys so as not to deprive the defendant of his Sixth Amendment right. We all make mistakes at work sometimes and unfortunately, in my opinion, these were two major mistakes.

As an aside — and maybe this is just me — I have somewhat higher expectations for a judge than for defense attorneys.

Both judge and defense attorneys should strive for the highest of standards. The ex-defense shouldn’t be given a pass because they are only lowly lawyers.

Can anyone address what the court is stating on page 20 when she talks to Rozzi about him asking for a disqualification?

THE COURT: Well, I think we talked about, when you asked for a disqualification, and I indicated on our phone conversation I'm inclined to do that.

Does that mean that he asked to be removed?

EBM for quote

Last edited:

Much like B has claimed numerous times the leak occurred because his ‘friend’ took advantage of unsecured discovery on a table in his conference room.

So it’s very clear the source of the leak was not LE.

Much like B has claimed numerous times the leak occurred because his ‘friend’ took advantage of unsecured discovery on a table in his conference room.

So it’s very clear the source of the leak was not LE.
Right!
And hasn't AB's " friend" aka The source of the leaks admitted that he was the culprit and was granted access to all of this material?

Hasn't he done interviews with MS ?

JMO

Can anyone address what the court is stating on page 20 when she talks to Rozzi about him asking for a disqualification?

EBM for quote

Really weird, good eye!

Right!
And hasn't AB's " friend" aka The source of the leaks admitted that he was the culprit and was granted access to all of this material?

JMO

Yes according to one of the motions filed after the fact, the ‘friend’ admitted what he did to B. I’m surprised he continues to refer to the guy as a friend.

MW’s interview with MS was shortly after B was initially hired as RA’s public defender, prior to the leak.

Right!

JMO
MW made a very lengthy interview with MS. They released a lengthier unedited version after the leaks occurred. It’s quite the listen.
It’s also where I got my Fred Flintstone reference.

IMO she is referring to NM asking for the defense to be DQ’d in the emails. This is referenced in Exhibit K 10/12/2023 Letter to Court from Attorney Rozzi p.214 of Court proceedings Vol. 1 dump. (Sourced and pic below)

Sources:
PDF

IMG_3346.jpeg

EBM for quote
It’s one of a few statements I noted as peculiar:

Also page 18 line 7 AB says “ okay, that what I wanted” in response to the judge explaining how she will handle the motion of the withdrawal announcement.
Page 21 line 18-19 AB expressed appreciation for the advance notice.
Page 22 line 5 BR asks if he should throw the discovery in the trash.
Page 22 line 16 BR says he read the state’s Protective Order on Discovery on the way into court. Right after he asked how to handle discovery.

Last edited:
It is unclear to me how this is relevant to anything at all. Do you think it works like Michael Scott declaring bankruptcy? I am not an attorney but my understanding is that it doesn’t quite work that way. I don’t see anything unusual or untoward about Rozzi stating an intention at one point in time to take a future action, then changing his mind later. JMO
I suppose the counter argument is that his conduct indicates that he accepted he was off the case in that moment, choosing not to go into the court room to be disqualified, arranging how to return the discovery, planning his stealthy exit etc

I do generally agree with you that this all might not matter much if SCOIN finds Judge Gull doesn't have this power to summarily remove them, which hopefully it will.

My 02c

ETA - fixed link

Last edited:
Both judge and defense attorneys should strive for the highest of standards. The ex-defense shouldn’t be given a pass because they are only lowly lawyers.

I personally don't believe the transcript reflects well on Judge Gull or Rozzi / Baldwin

I could understand Judge Gull a bit better if she'd said "Guys there will be a hearing and DQ will be on the table so please consider your options" but not announcing the result of the hearing as a done deal. Bonkers to me. It just seems unfair, but I have no idea what powers she has.

But also the brass neck of Baldwin is something, to me personally, as an ethical rather than legal question.

When you look at the discussion beginning Page 17 line 1, I speculate that DHs filing that morning might have crystallised Gull's decision. She discusses an ongoing investigation by the State of Indiana which may turn criminal. The lawyers have lawyers. Both men but Baldwin in particular have reputation and law practices to think about (noted by Rozzi).

If I were Baldwin, I'd be offering my head on a platter as a question of personal ethics (Rozzi floated the idea). One of the reasons, even if i felt I had not done anything that bad, is the possibility i might be charged in the coming weeks. So personally I'd be resigning.

For lawyers like @O.Incandenza, I wonder if Gull's response to SCOIN will include the idea that in any case, Baldwin at least should be conflicted out? Can you argue that in the alternative? Even if the judge did not rely on it?

Rule 1.7 - Conflict of Interest:
General Rule (a) Except as provided in paragraph (b), a lawyer shall not represent a client if the representation involves a concurrent conflict of interest. A concurrent conflict of interest exists if:
(1) the representation of one client will be directly adverse to another client; or
(2) there is a significant risk that the representation of one or more clients will be materially limited by the lawyer's responsibilities to another client, a former client or a third person or by a personal interest of the lawyer.

No doubt legal podcast world will be cranking in to high gear

Last edited:
That wasn't the unusual part. The part that was worth noting IMO was where they knew he was being shipped off to DOC several days prior to when the motion to transfer request was filed. In fact, the article updated on Oct. 30 claimed he was already there.

I'm wondering how much his failure to cooperate influenced the decision to transfer him, without the proper motions and without the benefit of an atty. Additionally, I haven't found any paperwork noting his move to White Co.
Moving a high profile defendant for safety doesn't happen without beforehand thought and planning. I see nothing wrong setting into motion staging plans, when you know it's in the best interests of an inmate to transfer him to a safer environment asap. If something had happen to RA in county custody when an expedited move could have prevented it because there was no planning put in place before a motion was filed to move him for safety, LE would have been crucified. A real danged if they do, danged if they don't. AJMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member