IN - Abigail Williams, 13, & Liberty German, 14, Delphi, 13 Feb 2017 #51

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
JMO
I know DNA doesn't necessarily solve a case but I do recall seeing cases where, when results were received with a match, they announced it. There was a case here that happened not too long ago, the suspect is in jail and awaiting trial for the rape & murder of a 7yr old little girl - Gabbi Doolin and once they had the DNA back and it matched they announced it. As far as the time-frame for the DNA testing, I don't know if the time it takes can depend on what kind of DNA sample they get, but in Gabbi's case - she was murdered on Nov 14, 2015, iirc they obtained DNA from the guy the following day and while I'm not sure of the exact day they received the results back I know there was one article dated Nov 20 2015 that stated the DNA they'd taken from him matched the DNA they had found.

http://www.wave3.com/story/30569836/arrest-made-in-allen-co-girls-homicide

the above DNA article was incorrect and corrected by police officials the next day..discovery of DNA was never confirmed or denied. http://www.jconline.com/story/news/...riff-clarifies-reports-dna-evidence/98351378/

That is right, it was retracted the next day:

During the interview, Fox 59 anchors asked Leazenby about DNA, and the TV station's report said investigators acquired DNA evidence during the investigation of the case. However, Leazenby said he was speaking about physical evidence in general and not about DNA evidence in particular.

Leazenby said he felt the need to clarify the Fox59 report because "we don't want to have mass confusion."

same link.

JMO
I know DNA doesn't necessarily solve a case but I do recall seeing cases where, when results were received with a match, they announced it. There was a case here that happened not too long ago, the suspect is in jail and awaiting trial for the rape & murder of a 7yr old little girl - Gabbi Doolin and once they had the DNA back and it matched they announced it. As far as the time-frame for the DNA testing, I don't know if the time it takes can depend on what kind of DNA sample they get, but in Gabbi's case - she was murdered on Nov 14, 2015, iirc they obtained DNA from the guy the following day and while I'm not sure of the exact day they received the results back I know there was one article dated Nov 20 2015 that stated the DNA they'd taken from him matched the DNA they had found.

http://www.wave3.com/story/30569836/arrest-made-in-allen-co-girls-homicide

That's exactly why I do not believe SA occurred in this case. Since I am not privy to what LE knows, that is JMO.

Have local DV records been reviewed by LE? Doing so could point to someone who is protecting the perp by providing his alibi out of fear.

Batwoman spends an amorous evening with her main squeeze Batman. Batman, like some men are prone to do, is snoring like the Super Chief within five minutes. Batwoman has to get up early to crush crime so she gathers her cape and heads to her Batvehicle.

Some guy who's lurking behind a tree, and who has an egg shape, jumps out and tries to steal the Batvehicle. BW resists, he rips her superhero costume down the front and bashes her on the head with his cane.

Marie and Frank Barone live across the street from Batman. Marie is a busybody who spends a great deal of time clutching her pearls and peering out of her lace curtains. Marie sees the egg shaped man running off and BW in the driveway. She excitedly places a call to 911 and the first officers roll up.

The coroner finds Batman's DNA in her body. Despite the fact LE has knocked on doors and interviewed Marie Barone, and taken her eyewitness statement of the egg shaped guy scurrying down the street, should LE arrest Batman? Not in my world. YMMV
It all depends. If Batman does not have a verifiable alibi and you have a prosecutor that believes they can sell Batman to a jury as the person that committed the crime then it could very well happen because it has happened before. It is not a rare thing either, just uncommon. Innocent people are convicted of crimes they did not commit. Innocent people plead guilty to lesser charges for crimes they did not commit because their own attorney has assured them they will be convicted by a jury, regardless that they are innocent, on higher charges with greater penalties. Not uncommon. Both LE and prosecutors have been known to withhold or destroy exculpatory evidence in cases.

It all depends. If Batman does not have a verifiable alibi and you have a prosecutor that believes they can sell Batman to a jury as the person that committed the crime then it could very well happen because it has happened before. It is not a rare thing either, just uncommon. Innocent people are convicted of crimes they did not commit. Innocent people plead guilty to lesser charges for crimes they did not commit because their own attorney has assured them they will be convicted by a jury, regardless that they are innocent, on higher charges with greater penalties. Not uncommon. Both LE and prosecutors have been known to withhold or destroy exculpatory evidence in cases.

I'm sure it's happened.

My point was there is more to a case than DNA alone. Even if Batman was roused from bed by LE, even if LE thinks Batman is the most likely suspect because he's a snoring, inconsiderate jerk and he and BW had screaming matches in front of the BatCave on numerous occasions, witnessed by neighbors, it is incumbent upon LE to do a thorough job and not have tunnel vision. IMO

The area is probably a uhmm....."multi use" area for local teen agers. Though the area is not deeply rural, it is still rural enough to make urban venues inconvenient to get to.
I imagine that a multi use area would see the following activities by local youth:

- Easily accessible spot for a change of scenery when bored at home.
- Place to walk with a boyfriend or girlfriend and have a little privacy
- Relatively isolated spot for drinking / horsing around
- Relatively isolated spot for meetings. On some occasions, this could involve low level, casual user to casual user, marijuana sales.

Though I don't imagine that there were hordes of local youth there on a day to day basis, my bet is that it is well known spot for people interested in the above activities. This could be especially so for local youth whose families don't have a lot of disposable income for spontaneous trips to Lafayette activities.

Given his track record with the police, RL does not strike me as being a civic minded individual. My guess is that his interest in the bridge, its future, and the associated nature trails is "no interest, except on the few occasions when trespassers become particularly annoying"

Where does the quote originate?

If nowhere, it absolutely pains me that SM continues to use an example of someone unlawfully inside RLs barn, which he reported to LE, to support any theory other than each of us would do exactly the same thing. Anyone who disagrees is probably not a property owner.

What are you basing that on? Can you link please?

DNA testing in the state of Indiana takes between 4-6 weeks.

https://www.cga.ct.gov/2010/rpt/2010-R-0086.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(O/T, but interesting, there's a thread here about members trying to learn about their genealogy via the submission of their DNA....there seems to be quite a back log there:

Has anyone done their DNA for genealogy?
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?323643-Has-anyone-done-their-DNA-for-genealogy )

That's exactly why I do not believe SA occurred in this case. Since I am not privy to what LE knows, that is JMO.

(Bemused, have you read the scanner thread? Of course we can not discuss it up here, but maybe you could post down there your interpretation of/response to the content revealed down there, as related to your opinion of no SA? I'm curious. Tia :wave: (not being snark :heart: ))

Where does the quote originate?

If nowhere, it absolutely pains me that SM continues to use an example of someone unlawfully inside RLs barn, which he reported to LE, to support any theory other than each of us would do exactly the same thing. Anyone who disagrees is probably not a property owner.

I also think that RL calling police rather than confronting the person shows us what his inclined response would be. How this is used against him I do not understand. I would say it dispels the idea that he would be enraged and confrontational in a trespassing situation. jmo, still.

IMO, that does not look like RL in the photo to me but I can't swear to it under oath because the photo is blurry and I wasn't there that day.

That's what someone could say about BG's photo as well "I can't swear under oath as to that being so and so because the picture is too blurry" :( .LE will need to have DNA or some other type of evidence when they do arrest someone to prove that he is the BG.

(Bemused, have you read the scanner thread? Of course we can not discuss it up here, but maybe you could post down there your interpretation of/response to the content revealed down there, as related to your opinion of no SA? I'm curious. Tia :wave: (not being snark :heart: ))

Yes, and no snark detected. I'm fine with differing opinions. I'm not fine with p/a baiting because life is too short. What was that famous quote from Abraham Lincoln? I think it's a good thing to remember. Others may not agree.

I've read and stated in the scanner thread that my opinion is there is absolutely no confirmation or proof it's related. It may be or it may not be, but it's an area where a lot of people have been. Anyone could've discarded anything. IMO, jumping to a conclusion that item recovered=SA just doesn't make logical sense to me. I'd venture a guess that LE collected everything they could find, and that much of it is probably not related to the murders. IMO

I also think that RL calling police rather than confronting the person show us what his inclined response would be. How this is used against him I do not understand. I would say it dispels the idea that he would be enraged and confrontational in a trespassing situation. jmo, still.

I fully agree; especially since his home was broken into and property was taken just the month before.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WTRxQQoNDs0

This is JMO but the lady in this clip also seems more concerned about the neighbourhood than the body of a teen boy found there. Perhaps that is just the way people react.

For me, it wasn't any one statement or act that piqued my curiosity and suspicion, but the totality of all the red flags. The fact the bodies of Abby and Libby were found on RL's property is at the very end of my list of red flags. I just don't ignore flags and the smell of smoke when my common sense and logic says something smells and I see the crimson flags flapping. IMO

I also think that RL calling police rather than confronting the person show us what his inclined response would be. How this is used against him I do not understand. I would say it dispels the idea that he would be enraged and confrontational in a trespassing situation. jmo, still.

Yep and at his age I think the majority of people would not confront any individual on his property as he is the one much more likely to end up hurt.

IMO

Has anyone communicated with the reporters who have been covering the case? Maybe we could ask one if they could do a follow up story on the results of the lab work LE was waiting for. LE could then say they are still waiting or it was inconclusive or they don't have a match for recovered DNA at this time. Perhaps they could be asked if they have cleared RL from participation in the crime or asked to define why they said he is still involved with the investigation. People have speculated they said he is involved bc the bodies were found on his property, but it could do some of these threads a world of good to have police say that themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I fully agree; especially since his home was broken into and property was taken just the month before.

I believe that was several years (3?) prior. Do you have a citation as to that call to police and the date? TIA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mary0309